Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fuel Prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Corkboi

These prices are sickening, I've been in Saudi now for the past three years and 30 Litres of petrol cost me the equivalent of 3 euro 50 cents and they have not changed since I've been here. Hate coming home to that S***.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Its ridiculous alright, filling a tank from empty is like a game of chicken, I often buckle before it goes all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

would ya look at the prices just three years ago

55c in the difference

those were the days

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

As surprised as I was at the 159.9 for unleaded in the apple on the m1, my jaw actually dropped when I saw the topaz in omnipark Santry. 161.jaysusin9 :eek:

fryup wrote: »
    would ya look at the prices just three years ago

55c in the difference

those were the days

.... weird, I didn't think petrol was that cheap in 2009 tbh, I must have a peak at my excel file later :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

RoverJames wrote: »
    .... weird, I didn't think petrol was that cheap in 2009 tbh, I must have a peak at my excel file later :)

Yeah it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Here's some of mine January - April 2009 (Diesel)
    Jan-09	Litres				c/litre 	Location
    4	€28.34	30.54			92.8		Topaz, Ashbourne
    9	€35.62	39.67			89.8		Applegreen, Celbridge
    17	€42.30	43.65			96.9		Maxol Dundalk
    28	€39.41	41.05			95.9		Maxol Maynooth
    Feb						
    11	€42.04	44.82			93.8		Applegreen, Celbridge
    22	€34.92	37.19			93.9		Texaco,Lucan
    March						
    1	€35.77	38.09			93.9		Top, Enfield
    7	€23.16	24.4			94.9		Maxol, Kilbride
    12	€39.82	44.34			89.9		Applegreen, Celbridge
    15	SERVICED					161055	
    19	€24.26	27.63			87.8		Applegreen, Celbridge
    26	€35.01	38.99			89.9		Applegreen, Celbridge
    April						
    6	€27.72	28.6			96.9		Maxol, Leixlip
    19	€30.92	31.26			98.9		Esso, Fairyhouse

• Registered Users Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭cena

I have not filled the tank up since some time last year. I would have done it every week but with the prices I just don't. If it goes down alot I well be back to filling the tank once again

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

question - we all know about diesel but can petrol be laundered???

i'm only asking as some stations seem to be doing below cost selling??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

cena wrote: »
    I have not filled the tank up since some time last year. I would have done it every week but with the prices I just don't. If it goes down alot I well be back to filling the tank once again
    You'll be waitin!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Weird, about this time last year, fuel went to €1.60 according to my hand written log. And shortly thereafter it dropped back to or just over €1.00

THEN the Gov stepped in and put it right back up again. :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Gingernuts31

snubbleste wrote: »
    Yeah it was.

Strange. I stoped getting juice travelling from Laois to Bray for work in July 2007 and the petrol was 103. I was glad I stopped the travelling then because It was starting to hit me pocket wise even at 103.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Strange. I stoped getting juice travelling from Laois to Bray for work in July 2007 and the petrol was 103. I was glad I stopped the travelling then because It was starting to hit me pocket wise even at 103.

There was a previous peak of ~ 139.9 for diesel in July 2008 (when price per barrel of oil hit ~$150)

Today a barrel of Brent is in the region of $120 but as the Euro vs $ has weakened since, and the Government has raised excise a number of times we are paying more today.

5y_small.gif

gbee wrote: »
    Weird, about this time last year, fuel went to €1.60 according to my hand written log. And shortly thereafter it dropped back to or just over €1.00

THEN the Gov stepped in and put it right back up again. :mad::mad::mad:

This time last year it dropped to just over €1.00 ........ :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

I saw a texaco in cork last night and it was selling
    diesel 159.9
    Petrol 162.9

Needless to say, I stopped elsewhere for fuel

pa990 wrote: »
    I saw a texaco in cork last night and it was selling
    diesel 159.9
    Petrol 162.9

Needless to say, I stopped elsewhere for fuel
    I saw diesel for 159.9 on the N2 (topaz), I saw it for 152.9 in my usual dublin haunt (reccomended about a year ago by a taxi driver), and 151.9 in kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,607 ✭✭✭creedp

Max Power1 wrote: »
    I saw diesel for 159.9 on the N2 (topaz), I saw it for 152.9 in my usual dublin haunt (reccomended about a year ago by a taxi driver), and 151.9 in kildare.

Back to the point raised before .. as retailers claim there is no margin on fuel are the cheaper ones selling at a loss, using laundered fuel or mixing laundered with legit fuel to increase margins?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

creedp wrote: »
    Back to the point raised before .. as retailers claim there is no margin on fuel are the cheaper ones selling at a loss, using laundered fuel or mixing laundered with legit fuel to increase margins?
    I suspect the retailers who tell us there's no margin on fuel are being economical with the truth. Either that or their idea of a reasonable margin is the 100% they take on what they sell in the shop. ;)

creedp wrote: »
    Well I have noticed differences of over 10 cent per litre for diesel and about 8 cent for petrol in the past few days, the further away from Dublin, the lower the prices imo.

I think the story of the "poor garage" with "no margin on fuel" is codswallop tbh, if there is no profit then get out of the game!! The retail fuel stations make plenty of profit, but they hide it well, is my guess, so people attack the high taxes (rightly, when over €1/litre is tax:mad:) and not the "poor innocent garage"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I think the story of the "poor garage" with "no margin on fuel" is codswallop tbh, if there is no profit then get out of the game!! The retail fuel stations make plenty of profit, but they hide it well, is my guess, so people attack the high taxes (rightly, when over €1/litre is tax:mad:) and not the "poor innocent garage"

No really it is only a few cent margin.
    Back in 2008, the NCA did a report and found that it really is only a few cent per litre http://corporate.nca.ie/eng/Research_Zone/Reports/NCA_petrol_and_diesel_price_investigation.doc
    http://pumps.ie/v3/FAQPricesExplained.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I've heard it said here many times that the GP% on fuel is cq. 5%. So if a garage is selling 5million litres (which would be a pretty busy garage I assume) of fuel per year @ €1.60 per litre their gross profit would be €400k for the year, before they pay rent, rate, staff, public liability, taxes. etc, etc. Keep in mind they would be operating for anything from 16-24 hours per day.

No wonder they need the shop in all fairnes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

When i worked in a petrol station, statoil sent around a breakdown of cost, which i saw a few times, when they changed the price, was always shocked with how little the business took in from fuel.

the is a boardsie who runs a station and he will testify to how **** it is.

cabrwab wrote: »
    the is a boardsie who runs a station and he will testify to how **** it is.
    Well I must thank him and all the other station owners for their charity. Poor them.

FFS there must be money in fuel sales or they would close and just run the shop as a standalone:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Testament1

Well I must thank him and all the other station owners for their charity. Poor them.

FFS there must be money in fuel sales or they would close and just run the shop as a standalone:rolleyes:

Fuel attracts customers who may purchase other goods while in the store which is where they'll make money. Price of fuel in this country is still ridiculous though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

So...when's the protest?

Testament1 wrote: »
    Fuel attracts customers who may purchase other goods while in the store which is where they'll make money. Price of fuel in this country is still ridiculous though.

So they keep on running an unviable loss making (or break even) product (fuel sales) just to get people in?

I call bolloks on that. The amount of expense needed to open and maintain a fuel station alone renders it not a viable plan just to be break even.
    And also - why is it more expensive in Dublin? By 10 cpl sometimes!!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

ottostreet wrote: »
    So...when's the protest?

next week

in Athens :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Blut2

So they keep on running an unviable loss making (or break even) product (fuel sales) just to get people in?

Quick, someone inform the Licensed Vintners Association, they'll sort these loss-leading shenanigans out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

I call bolloks on that. The amount of expense needed to open and maintain a fuel station alone renders it not a viable plan just to be break even.
    And also - why is it more expensive in Dublin? By 10 cpl sometimes!!!!!

There's fewer than half the number of petrol stations in this country then there were in 1995. They didn't all close down because they were making too much money on fuel. I worked in a petrol station during my college years and if we made 3 cent a litre we were doing very well, and this was a very busy site with an owner who wasn't afraid to bargain with the supplier. I've no connection with the business now, or the fuel retail industry generally, but trust me on this, I saw the invoices myself.

• Advertisement

Indeed it was, April 09 I was buying petrol at €1.049/litre, in Feb 09 I had a diesel and it was €0.899/litre.

In fairness though, I'd like to mention that in Sep 08 diesel was costing me €1.299/litre and in July 08 it was €1.399/litre.

In July 07 I was paying €1.229/litre of unleaded.

So taking 3 years ago's figures from today's is admittedly startling but they were fairly low relatively at the time :)

Just about the margin thing, no doubt the margin on fuel is less than the margin on Mars Bars but there is no fuel retailer making an actual loss on selling fuel, the mark up is no doubt feck all in comparison to the mark up on the rest of the stuff but they're making something on it.

Advertisement