Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Engineering Apprenticeships 2011

Options
  • 21-03-2011 8:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭

Don't think this has been posted so for anyone that doesn't know - Aer Lingus are launching a new Engineering Apprenticeship scheme in conjunction with FÁS:

http://www.aerlingus.com/aboutus/careersvacancies/apprenticeship2011/

Applicants must be at least 16 years old and have a Junior Cert. Successful canadidates will be based in Dublin and Shannon. Applications must be submitted by April 4th.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭yew_tree

anyone know what they are like to work for?, pay, conditions, type and length of training etc..and can you choose your location?

also are you shown the door after the training or do they keep you on?

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭David086

I might apply for it but I'm kind of held back by the fact that I might be placed in Shannon :( . Also wondering the same as the comment above :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭A320

Itl be the standard 4 year apprenticeship I would imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Give yourself a good hour for the application, and have your junior and Leaving certs to hand.
    They could send me to Tripoli for all I care, Such a great oppertunity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭saeglopur

As far as I know ei are looking at these apprentices to bolster their current engineering numbers as well as bringing down the average age in engineering. With EI now doing more of their maintenance in house, there would be the opportunity at a long term career so wouldn't let worries about pay and conditions put you off if you are interested.

Also nice to see that it is not just Ryanair who can create jobs in Hangar 6 ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭mle1324

Very interested in this.

I do wonder if like yew_tree said do they show you the door afterwards ?

If I went for something like this I'd have to sacrifice commitments and my education which I am in the middle of at the moment :o.

mle1324 wrote: »
    Very interested in this.

If I went for something like this I'd have to sacrifice commitments and my education which I am in the middle of at the moment :o.

Same here.

Very interested in this.

You can always defer it and go back and do it at night later :) , They seem to be doing the Aptitude test online first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭saeglopur

Ei are not offering this training for the good of their health.

Unless you don't complete the training for whatever reason id imagine you would be offered a job. :)

kona wrote: »
    You can always defer it and go back and do it at night later :) , They seem to be doing the Aptitude test online first.

Like night courses for stuff you'd so in school/college you mean ? :)

Yeah I read the EI link and saw that.

• Advertisement

saeglopur wrote: »

I think any person who has common sense who realize that.

saeglopur wrote: »

Unless you don't complete the training for whatever reason id imagine you would be offered a job. :)

Last group they let go without finishing the apprenticeship.

Like night courses for stuff you'd so in school/college you mean ? :)

Yeah I read the EI link and saw that.

Yup :) looks quite good IMO if you apply for that and want to go back and do the rest of your course at night.

Altho, line maintenance is shift work so that would be a spanner in the works :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Hi there,
    This is a solid gold opportunity in the middle of a recession, to get into an industry that is expanding, at a time when apprenticeships are as scarce as hens' teeth. You'd be daft not to at least apply. The training will all be in Dublin and the greatest need for new bods is in Dublin. Apprentices will be kept on afterwards, as there is, as correctly stated, a need to reduce the age profile of the engineering staff, which is on average in the late 40s. Yes, there is shift work but shift pay is included. Another point to note is that many, many engineers go on to become pilots in EI and other airlines, as well as occupying top jobs in maintenance and other trades and positions. Don't focus on what's in it for you now, in the short-term.
    All it'll cost you is an hour in front of a screen.
    regards
    Stovepipe

Seeing as I'm only 16 and currently doing TY do you think I would have a chance? I do fit all the Junior Cert requirements.

Stovepipe wrote: »
    Hi there,
    This is a solid gold opportunity in the middle of a recession, to get into an industry that is expanding, at a time when apprenticeships are as scarce as hens' teeth. You'd be daft not to at least apply. The training will all be in Dublin and the greatest need for new bods is in Dublin. Apprentices will be kept on afterwards, as there is, as correctly stated, a need to reduce the age profile of the engineering staff, which is on average in the late 40s. Yes, there is shift work but shift pay is included. Another point to note is that many, many engineers go on to become pilots in EI and other airlines, as well as occupying top jobs in maintenance and other trades and positions. Don't focus on what's in it for you now, in the short-term.
    regards
    Stovepipe

Any tips for the aptitude test? :)

David086 wrote: »
    Seeing as I'm only 16 and currently doing TY do you think I would have a chance? I do fit all the Junior Cert requirements.

You've answered your own question :pac:

Is there a wage with this apprenticeship?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Does speeding count as a criminal offence, for the purpose of this application. E g gettin penalty points

• Registered Users Posts: 49 goonup

Stovepipe wrote: »
    Hi there,
    regards
    Stovepipe

Will Aer Lingus be sending their apprentices to AST in Perth again or will they go through the FAS center in Shannon

• Advertisement

Shane_ef wrote: »
    Does speeding count as a criminal offence, for the purpose of this application. E g gettin penalty points

No, unless you killed somebody while doing it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

kona wrote: »
    Last group they let go without finishing the apprenticeship.

I would wager that this happened under the last CEO who was an accountant and looked at short term numbers rather then the long term future of the airline. This was when EI tried to farm out their MX contracts to the lowest bidder.

Current CEO is building up the DUB base and wants inhouse MX to keep quality and oversight high.

Stovepipe knows what he is talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Hi there,
    Yes, there is a wage.I don't know what it is but it'll keep you alive, I guess. There is no association with AST in Perth, Scotland, all training will be done in Dublin.If you meet the requirements, then give it a shot.
    Fixing aircraft isn't glorious in the least and is often tiring, boring, dirty and unrewarding but it does lead to better things in the sense that it opens doors to more lucrative jobs, both in and out of aviation. It does make you think and use your head and, in my case, I wouldn't be in an office job to save my life.
    Right now, it appears to be the only game in town.
    regards
    Stovepipe

• Registered Users Posts: 49 goonup

When I served my time with Aer Lingus, we were farmed out to AST for collage & then back to Shannon or commuter in Dublin. That was back in 1998. AST were good but the only problem was we were more or less left on our own by Aer Lingus while in Scotland.

Tenger wrote: »
    I would wager that this happened under the last CEO who was an accountant and looked at short term numbers rather then the long term future of the airline. This was when EI tried to farm out their MX contracts to the lowest bidder.

Current CEO is building up the DUB base and wants inhouse MX to keep quality and oversight high.

Stovepipe knows what he is talking about.

I know thats why I asked him for advice :)

But they did let the last bunch go, which was kinda ****ty, although you are right about the last CEO.

Anyone have any idea how many they would take on for this ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Is it worth applying for this if in your late 20's?

Anyone have any idea how many they would take on for this ?

They're taking on 20 based in Shannon and Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭A320

30 not so bad,I heard 20 straight from the horses mouth but even better if theres 30.I can only presume they'll pick a certain amount to go the B1 and a few to go the Conehead B2+A route.

Is the huge numbers to do with lots of retirements due or is it with a view to the need for more line staff after the old SRT contract expires if it hasnt done so?????

• Advertisement

A320 wrote: »
    30 not so bad,I heard 20 straight from the horses mouth but even better if theres 30.I can only presume they'll pick a certain amount to go the B1 and a few to go the Conehead B2+A route.

Is the huge numbers to do with lots of retirements due or is it with a view to the need for more line staff after the old SRT contract expires if it hasnt done so?????

Sorry I meant to say 20 :pac::cool::o

Advertisement