Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Competition Closed] Win a stay with dinner at Dublin's 5 Star Shelbourne Hotel

Options
  • 02-11-2009 1:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭

13-shelbourne-hotel.jpg
    Image from here

Are you planning any Christmas shopping in Dublin? A night out before the festive season? Maybe just a break away? This could be a great competition prize to win, so. ;)

Michael over at WhoseView.ie has arranged a great competition for Boards.ie members as a small thank you for all your help and advice on his website.

shelbourne_panoramic_1.jpg

You could win an overnight stay for two in a Delux room at Dublin's Shelbourne Hotel this December with breakfast in the morning and a 3 course dinner in the fabulous Saddle Room restaurant.

Dates are any time between December 1 and 23rd. Tease yourself with photos of the hotel here.

To enter, simply comment below, telling us your favourite restaurant or hotel in Dublin, Galway or Cork and why. You could help other Boards.ie members find some great restaurants or hotels. Recommendations with reasons will all be entered into the draw and a winner chosen at random on December 1.

About the Shelbourne Hotel.

A national treasure built in 1824, the luxury 5 star Shelbourne Hotel has recently been magnificently restored while keeping its historic charm. It overlooks St Stephen's Green and is close to pretty much everywhere - you can't get much more central than this! You can find out more about the hotel and its facilities here.

About WhoseView.ie

Whoseview.ie is Ireland’s social review based website where you can rant or rave local services from restaurants, bars, beauty salons, hairdressers, butchers, cafes, fashion shops, car dealers etc and share them with friends. Their Talk to... forum on Boards.ie is here.

The site was launched on July 17th 2009 with 38,000 Dublin businesses and has recently rolled out to Galway City with an additional 4,000 businesses. The goal is to concentrate on city locations, moving to Cork in December.
    You can join WhoseView.ie here.

Those pesky but necessary Terms and Conditions

No, Boards.ie was not paid for this competition and yes, it's open to everyone. The total value of this offer in capped at €310 and is the Escape Package. You must be available to take the prize which is non transferable. There is no cash alternative. Judge's decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into. Submitted reviews may be used to promote the competition but will only be used with your permission. Competition closes November 30 2009 and the winner will be announced on Tuesday, December 1.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Thanks Michael, that looks brilliant!

Favourite restaurant at the moment has got to be Keshk Cafe on Leeson St. Great food, great staff, great prices and no corkage! Well worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Thanks Micheal,

I never win anything but here goes.
    My absolutely fav restaurant is Pearl Brasserie (beside the merrion hotel)
    The food is outstanding and service is second to none.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Great competition...

My favourite hotel in Cork is the clarion.

Lovely rooms over looking the quays and river Lee. Clean and cosy and the mini bar helps!!

Nice big Lobby with a buzz about it. There was face painting on for the kids on the sunday, which was a nice touch.

The bar was lively and the bar food was Fab!! Also the staff were very friendly and helpful,

I have been to the Clarion on two occassions and enjoyed both my trips there. I would reccomend it as a nice place to stay!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Not luxurious or renowned but for sheer value for money, the Travelodge in Rathmines is a hotel that can be recommended.

39 euro a night for the room puts this in the same price bracket as hostels (if not better) for a clean room, your own wash/toilet facilities, TV and cup of tea.

A short (ish) walk to town, and great for a overnighter in the nations capital.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mobpd

Tenors in Naas - all main courses are 10 euro and the quality has not been comprised so great value in these current times. also the placemats for the little ones double up as colouring pages :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭dgosul

i think Scoozies in Cork is great..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭jellyboy

The Oystercreek in kinsale...great food,great prices and they know my name....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

La Cave on South Anne Street is my favourite restaurant, great atmosphere, music, decor and food..it's got it all!

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭dohda

nicest food Ive had in a while was in the main resteraunt of the Kilkenny rivercourt hotel. Food was great, service was fast and setting beside the castle was lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭dohda

Doh! silly me needs to read the rules better!!!

best resteraunt I have been in lately in the cities mentioned would be Pattaya Thai in cabinteely the last time I was up visiting the folks.

Food was fab. Nice intimate restaurant and really friendly staff.

well worth a visit

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

my favourite hotel is The Morrison in Dublin,everything is pristine,food is great
    Idon't go to Dublin often but i found a little gem in Donnybrook called Poulot's.Magic food altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I would have to say my favorite is the
    Asian Tea House on Mary Street in Galway.
    The food is simply fantastic with a mouth watering selection on the menu.
    The Decor is all shipped in from Malaysia too so really looks the part.
    Oh and the female staff members are well hot too lol.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭phili_g

Favourite hotel in Cork is the Sheraton in Fota Island

Favourite restaurant in Galway is the Charcoal Grill!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭dinneenp

My fav is Eastern Tandoori in Cork.
    Hotel has nice decor, staff are friendly, nice athmosphere and great food.
    It's the little things that make a difference- there's little seating area while you're waiting for your table, staff very friendly, low lighting for nice athmosphere...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

My favourite restaurant has to be the Hilan Korean and Chinese Restaurant on Dublin's Capel Street.

Really, really tasty, authentic food, served by very pleasant, friendly and helpful staff. Portions are generous and prices are kind to the wallet. There is a fantastic atmosphere and you can cook a Korean BBQ at your table yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Thank you,

My favourite restaurant would have to be Rivas, just up from windmill lane. I love Italian food and the staff are always very friendly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

L'Osteria Da Roberta would be my favourite restaurant in Galway. Authentic Italian food in a cosy atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Elevelyn

My fav place to eat is the boardwalk in Cork city, the mussels are amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Hwm

My favourite Hotel in Galway is the Radisson SAS. Love the outdoor hot tub.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭phoebe!

I love Maloti on South William Street. Its a lovely indian restaurant, with great value lunch and set menus. The food is consistently good and the service is always friendly!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

JD Steakhouse in Terenure village for me. It's rarely packed so the staff are great and the set menu is really good value with some excellent choices on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭ellinguistico

My favourite restaurant in Dublin is l'gueuleton. It has always had the tastiest, heartiest food in a lovely setting with great value and is in a part of Dublin which i particularly like.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭TurkeyBurger

1014 in Clontarf - Pork Belly...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

My favorite restaurant in Dublin is without doubt Eden in Temple bar. The other half has had his birthday there for 15 years in a row now and I can see why! I have shared three with him there and we have been many times apart from birthdays. Each visit is consistently good!

The food is excellent, not a rip off and the staff are brilliant too. That's not all though, the ambiance there is perfect for a nice relaxed meal and the staff cater to you every need. We are always given sumptuous Bellini's withing minutes of being seated! My favorite dish here are the Eden Smokies....you have to try them!

I cannot recommend Eden enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 dublinminx

My favourite restaurant in Dublin is Eatery 120 in Ranelagh. Great food, real neighbourhood atmosphere and a lovely setting.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Oh now this is a competition I'd like to win.

After extensive research, I can say without doubt that Chapter One is the best restaurant in Ireland, for the following two reasons:

Their food is top notch and the quality is always second to none.
    Considering that they have a michelin star, their pre-theatre menu is a steal at €37.50!

The staff are wonderful.
    They can be serious if you wish, or you can have great banter with them if you are up for it.
    I fell out of the place laughing last time I was there. The atmosphere is wonderful thanks to them.

Best hotel in Ireland is Ashford Castle
    Normally way too expensive for us ordinary folk.
    But I took advantage of a mid week special where you can get a room, breakfast and a 5 course dinner for two for around 300 quid.
    You get treated like royalty. The food is wonderful and you will roll out of the place the next day after a breakfast so full of choice that it will take you ages to choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Hmm, L'Gueuleton or Winding Stair… maybe Winding Stair - they have a great wine selection :)

For me, this place is exactly what I want from a restaurant. The focus is on great ingredients and the service is just how I like it - not in your face but there when you need it. Taste and flavour, not pomp & ceremony. While Michelin starred restaurants are an experience, I think this represents the best of Irish cooking out there at the moment. Great room too, it lends itself equally well to birthdays with your friends or a romantic dinner for two.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Gotta recommend Bewleys Hotel at the Airport.. Stayed there a good few times for work as have my colleagues. Rooms are great for the price €59/night. Great service, always clean and a brilliant bar...

• Registered Users Posts: 9 gerrybee5

My favourite restaurant is Hardwood Restaurant Popes Quay, Cork City.

It's just gorgeous. !

Gerry, Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cdb

My favourite restaurant has to be Peploe's on the green. Delicious. Possibly the nicest steak I have ever eaten...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement