Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigrant in London slams immigrants

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

You saying David Cameron is a liar?

Be won't like that

He is proud to campaign with a "terrorist sympathiser" (or lawyer as its more commonly know). Why would the option of a man who is proud to work with a "terrorist sympathiser" matter?

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/may/30/david-cameron-sadiq-khan-eu-remain

• Registered Users Posts: 34,056 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Has david cameron claimed that khan is a terrorist supporter? have you a link to that? if he did say it would have been reported in mainstream media. Oh wait, it was and cameron has since recanted. I'd say cameron had about as much evidence as you did when he made that claim.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/david-cameron-calls-sadiq-khan-proud-muslim-weeks-after-linking-him-to-islamic-extremist-a7056321.html

Oops

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/04/pmqs-david-cameron-brings-up-sadiq-khans-extremist-links/

He is proud to campaign with a "terrorist sympathiser" (or lawyer as its more commonly know). Why would the option of a man who is proud to work with a "terrorist sympathiser" matter?

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/may/30/david-cameron-sadiq-khan-eu-remain

However a month ago he said he had links to terrorism

• Registered Users Posts: 40,214 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

he "shared a platform". what do think that actually means? Do you think it means he supports what they say? Because the blog you linked to says that he doesnt.

you mean that a politician made disparaging remarks about the opposition during an election campaign? i'm shocked.

• Advertisement

he "shared a platform". what do think that actually means? Do you think it means he supports what they say? Because the blog you linked to says that he doesnt.

I know, hence why try give balanced view ;)

you mean that a politician made disparaging remarks about the opposition during an election campaign? i'm shocked.

And now living his ass cause they share same view. Unbelievable

I know, hence why try give balanced view ;)

so you link to a piece that refutes your own position. an interesting debating tactic i'll give you that.

so you link to a piece that refutes your own position. an interesting debating tactic i'll give you that.

Well its link that says it all. Rest is opinion

And now living his ass cause they share same view. Unbelievable

i think from that you can take that we should never place any credence on what a politician says during an election. so how some links that DO show that khan is a terrorist sympathetiser?

• Advertisement

And now he is proud to work with someone he thinks has links to terrorism. Cameron now has links to terrorism so why does his opinion matter?

Well its link that says it all. Rest is opinion

its a link that says that he doesnt agree with extremist muslims. what do you think it says?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Well you could research into it. Plenty out there. And I have seen his brother law in flesh give a rather hateful speech that leave Hitler proud

I never said anything about all Muslims been terrorists and you want me to Apologise!!

No , you made the claim , you prove it .

And read my post again - I never said you inferred all Muslims are terrorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Are you saying that all "extremists" are terrorists?

Or is it just that you don't understand what these words mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Many of the working class Irish community & their descendants in Britain are voting for Brexit, in that way they are not that much different in opinion to the English, Scots & Welsh, whom live in the same communities & in many cases are intermarried, related to & have established friendships with socially & professionally over generations.

The majority of English people don't consider Irish as being immigrants, they can't even tell the difference between N.Ireland & the rest & don't have a clue about catholics & protestants either. :pac:

My family is a mixture of Irish, English & Welsh, almost all voting to leave. The UK media is trying to ignore the fact that many working class people are voting out because very valid concerns over the future. They are then called racist but I have friends from West Indian backgrounds who are also voting out as one of them once said to me, "I'm a black man so I'm first out the door when the Eastern European's take the jobs"

Yes life can be cruel away from sheltered pompous middle class opinions. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Or you mean you just dismiss it anyway. This is After Hours here people only believe what they like.

You disagree that's fine. People know the story

This is just laughable - you are doing exactly what you accuse others of doing and you see no irony ??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Yes life can be cruel away from sheltered pompous middle class opinions.

Life is usually cruel when you are in a dog eat dog situation.

By "sheltered" I'm guessing you mean people who have acquired skills or qualifications that are in demand. Shame on them.

Yes life can be cruel away from sheltered pompous middle class opinions. :rolleyes:

And the solution is more sheltering to protect working class people who can't compete.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

First Up wrote: »

By "sheltered" I'm guessing you mean people who have acquired skills or qualifications that are in demand. Shame on them.

I imagine he means people who can't comprehend what it's like to be in a blue-collar job or struggle to get a contract that isn't a zero-hours casualisation scam or what it's like to be stuck on poverty wages or struggle to afford the rent or acquire somewhere to live while things like housing, education and health get harder and harder to access. There's a real fracture happening in UK society and increasing numbers of people are being thrown into a precarious existence.

The supposed left and soft left in Europe has forgotten these people in many places and unsurprisingly people are turning to the far right. The likes of UKIP are a shower of sh*t but simply pointing at their increasing supporters and laughing at them for being unsophisticated unskilled malcontents isn't going to help matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭purplepanda

First Up wrote: »

Just like working class people who have studied hard for their own trades & qualifications who now find their income reduced in real terms over time whilst cost of housing continues to spiral?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Kinda why I always laugh at Polish People I know complaining about Ireland having too many foreigners

Probably complaining about too many non-contributing foreigners.

If these Poles work and pay tax on their labour - they have the same right as anyone to complain about such.

Just like working class people who have studied hard for their own trades & qualifications who now find their income reduced in real terms over time whilst cost of housing continues to spiral?

Yeah whose fault is that though? The reason housing is so expensive is because we have a class of landlords gouging the sh*t out of people and a millionaire's government refusing to bring in any sort of rent control. On top of that we had social housing flogged off en masse and half of it now is in the hands of property companies charging us a fortune to live in them.

People are right to be angry at housing and low pay, but blaming migrants for these problems just lets the people who are actually responsible off the hook.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,538 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

FTA69 wrote: »
    Yeah whose fault is that though? The reason housing is so expensive is because we have a class of landlords gouging the sh*t out of people and a millionaire's government refusing to bring in any sort of rent control. On top of that we had social housing flogged off en masse and half of it now is in the hands of property companies charging us a fortune to live in them.

People are right to be angry at housing and low pay, but blaming migrants for these problems just lets the people who are actually responsible off the hook.

It'd be nice if said government would allow markets to cater to the increased demand for housing and services instead or protecting their own interests.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

It'd be nice if said government would allow markets to cater to the increased demand for housing and services instead or protecting their own interests.

In what sense?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,538 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

FTA69 wrote: »
    In what sense?

Build more or let private developers build more.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Build more or let private developers build more.

There's plenty of building in London, but 10% of properties there are now owned by foreign non resident people or corporations. Should property construction regulations be loosened there should be a tightening to the way property can be then sold so that instead of thousands of empty units you actually have people in them.

That's not immigrants that's causing the problems, it's a mixture of property speculators and people with a hi-rise apartment in every city.

Jayop wrote: »
    There's plenty of building in London, but 10% of properties there are now owned by foreign non resident people or corporations. Should property construction regulations be loosened there should be a tightening to the way property can be then sold so that instead of thousands of empty units you actually have people in them.

Given the cost of renting in London and the vast amount of people commuting there from places like Brighton, Cambridge and Oxford, this is simply untrue. I agree that some regulation is necessary and some is patently absurd. I'm not suggesting selling off the greenbelts to the highest bidder. Councils are responsible for green lighting building so the fault ultimately lies with them. Unfortunately, the establishment as a whole does quite nicely out of the current situation. Tory landlords don't want the value of their properties to fall. Trendy lefties like Caroline Lucas and the Greens don't want to mix with the great unwashed. Therefore, the problem is unlikely to get resolved any time soon.
    That's not immigrants that's causing the problems, it's a mixture of property speculators and people with a hi-rise apartment in every city.

It's refreshing when people acknowledge that it's more complex than immigration.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

10% of properties there are now owned by foreign non resident people or corporations.

I am surprised it is so low to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Given the cost of renting in London and the vast amount of people commuting there from places like Brighton, Cambridge and Oxford, this is simply untrue. I agree that some regulation is necessary and some is patently absurd. I'm not suggesting selling off the greenbelts to the highest bidder. Councils are responsible for green lighting building so the fault ultimately lies with them. Unfortunately, the establishment as a whole does quite nicely out of the current situation. Tory landlords don't want the value of their properties to fall. Trendy lefties like Caroline Lucas and the Greens don't want to mix with the great unwashed. Therefore, the problem is unlikely to get resolved any time soon.

It's refreshing when people acknowledge that it's more complex than immigration.

I think you may be misunderstanding me. I'm not arguing for greater construction control, in fact I agree with you that there should be more construction (in Dublin high rise preferably) but that when they build all these new homes they need to ensure that they won't be left empty. If someone is buying to speculate then they should be forced to rent it out.

• Advertisement

topper75 wrote: »
    Probably complaining about too many non-contributing foreigners.

If these Poles work and pay tax on their labour - they have the same right as anyone to complain about such.

But people will say everybody who comes to Ireland has degrees, are doctors etc

Advertisement