Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

*********Motors Chat - Round 9 *********

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Absentee landlords, rack rents, evictions, sh1t wet summer - all we're short is TB outbreak and a potato famine.
    -not sure there's a suitable smiley for this, half joking but things are gone a bit madin this country.

Oh Lord WHY?? Why are de spuds rotten in de GROUND?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 73,412 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Too soon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Absentee landlords, rack rents, evictions, sh1t wet summer - all we're short is TB outbreak and a potato famine.
    -not sure there's a suitable smiley for this, half joking but things are gone a bit madin this country.

438511-Royalty-Free-RF-Clipart-Illustration-Of-A-Peanut-Character-Puking.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

good to get some insider info like that :)

the EA's were literally suggesting that times would be in the hours which i did think was a bit far fetched, but i guess nothing would surprise me either?

would living in Cobh and commuting via the passage west ferry be a fantasy? does that run all year round?

Did a similar move lately. We're living in Midleton at the moment (looking to buy ASAP though) and it was chronic trying to find somewhere. I found the estate agents were plain useless. If you know anyone renting up there try and suss out if their landlord has another place. The place we moved I saw online at 6am, drove to cork to see it at 830am and there was six people ahead of me.

Working where you are I'd look at Pouladuff, Deerpark, Ballinlough, Ballintemple, Turners Cross, Blackrock, The Lough. All close to town, minimal traffic in the direction you're going. You could even cycle.

Avoid the tunnel if you have a choice now. It can take me an hour between Skehard Road and the tunnel to get from Blackrock to Midleton if I don't leave the office by 430 and its only 20km. I go in for 7 to avoid it in the mornings and evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Car back, fully serviced, new drivers window reg and I'm happy out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I knew that was coming :D

At least it's a 6 cylinder!

Yea but it's just not the same nothing beats the noise of a good petrol engine.

In saying that the 6 cylinder diesel engine is a million times better than most the diesels I drove.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Guys if you were choosing betweeen verdesteins, Kumhos or Hankooks for new tyres which would you go for?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Stheno wrote: »
    Guys if you were choosing betweeen verdesteins, Kumhos or Hankooks for new tyres which would you go for?

Vredesteins

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Yea but it's just not the same nothing beats the noise of a good petrol engine.

In saying that the 6 cylinder diesel engine is a million times better than most the diesels I drove.

I've had my fill - RX8, MPS, 335i...I think I'm due a well-earned break from guzzlers :D

Out of those I would choose Goodyear Eagle F1s :D

The best tyres I've ever had on a car were Verdestein ultrac vortis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,412 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Vredesteins without hesitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

The Hankooks I got are serving me well, 225/45 17s, ventus prime. Both in the dry and wet. Nothing negative after 3k miles

Haven't had the other 2 in this size so can't make comments there

Want to try Vredesteins or Dunlops the next time though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Hankook Ventus Evo here too, 255/40's and 235/45. Great grip in the wet and dry and the wear is very good. 9k miles on the rear and 6k on the front so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Vredistein ultrac sessanta and vorti are both very good. Goodyear eagles I have atm have a noticably wallowy sidewall in comparison even in v2 xl spec.

Will go vred again next time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

Met a black Nissan GTR earlier 10 c reg one Irish car and all don't meet too many of them in Cork. Also my tax money came out today!:(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Gavman84 wrote: »
    Met a black Nissan GTR earlier 10 c reg one Irish car and all don't meet too many of them in Cork. Also my tax money came out today!:(

Hmm I paid the OHs last night and it came out straight away!

On the tyres the Vredsteins seem to be winning :) Will check out what ones they are (as in the model) with the tyre guy soon, am not in any huge rush.

Price wise they were quite reasonable, I have to check the model and compare it with e.g. eiretyres,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

Must be processing credit card transaction in batches or something.

Camskill sell them cheapest atm

Camskill sell them cheapest atm

There's not much difference in it with the exchange rate.

Camskill are working out at 484.67 for the set of four including delivery, but then I've to get them fitted etc.

My local tyre place are doing them for 140 each including fitting, so that's 560, and the place is recommended by my mechanic. I'd probably pay close to the €80 difference in price to get them fitted/balanced/disposed of etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭NewApproach

The best tyres I've ever had on a car were Verdestein ultrac vortis

Agreed, I'd these on my 330d and they are immense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I was deciding between the Eagle f1s and the ultra vorti. I eventually went with the f1s and I've been happy with them thus far. When i did buy them, i found out on here that the sidewalls weren't tough but they have been unbelievable in the wet so far

Mc Love wrote: »
    I was deciding between the Eagle f1s and the ultra vorti. I eventually went with the f1s and I've been happy with them thus far. When i did buy them, i found out on here that the sidewalls weren't tough but they have been unbelievable in the wet so far

Can't see those in camskills in the size I need.

Another to add to the list is Bridgestones Potenzas, I just remembered I had those on the gtv and they were great.

Mc Love wrote: »

The vortis are immense in the wet had them on the 330i and even on heavy downpour if you were heavy on the foot they gripped in all conditions.

F1's are really only a balls out performance tyre.

If you want wet weather grip and less road noise vortis sessanta or uniroyal rainsport 3 are all cheaper and wear alot better.

RS3 also have softer sidewalls which = More comfort.

F1's are really only a balls out performance tyre.

If you want wet weather grip and less road noise vortis sessanta or uniroyal rainsport 3 are all cheaper and wear alot better.

RS3 also have softer sidewalls which = More comfort.

It's less road noise I'm after, the current Maxiumus or whatever variant of them are brutal for road noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I might give the Vredesteins a go next time.

Well the Focus was snapped up about 20 minutes after it was put up for sale today, and the C5 has me feeling very giddy driving it. I love it. €80 to fill it though? Fcuk me, that took me by surprise! :eek:

I know that none of ye have ever seen a C5 before, so I'll be sure to take a few pictures of it. :P I am looking forward to seeing if it looks any better with the bigger wheels. Fingers crossed!

Yer man said that he can't NCT it for me. He said he'll book it in when he can and we can arrange a date, but as it's not due til November, he can't book it yet. But he did give me a written receipt stating the work that had been done to the car, and that they would guarantee an NCT until November 2017.

The work done to it, according to the receipt, was; New timing belt, Water Pump, 2 gearbox seals, 2 front brake discs and pads, full service. If I have a warranty issue, I'll be curious to see how it plays out, but I have to say, my entire experience with Pat Coby at Coby Motors in Cherry Orchard Industrial Estate has been very, very good. I've found him excellent to deal with and I felt it showed great confidence in his stock by letting me bring it to Atlas for a check over before paying anything.

(I wrote the address above just as an aid for anyone who may google or boards search in future). My experience, so far, has been entirely positive.

THAT SAID.. It's off to my own mechanic tomorrow to get some verification that the work stated has actually been done on the car. I could be getting told porkies, but I'll know for sure tomorrow.

Ultimately though, after a smooth drive home and a bit of messing around the town, I have a fairly big smile on my face.

Cheers to everyone on here for listening to me droning on and on about it. I know I annoyed a few of ye, but I really, genuinely do appreciate all of the help assistance and information/advice that was given to me. Thank you! :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,070 ✭✭✭✭beertons

The missus crashed her car on the way home from work earlier. Skid straight into a wall, turned a bit, hit the accelerator, and went straight into the opposite wall. 5pm and nothing behind her and nothing oncoming. Some fright she got. Me too, not the call I was expecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Well the Focus was snapped up about 20 minutes after it was put up for sale today, and the C5 has me feeling very giddy driving it. I love it. €80 to fill it though? Fcuk me, that took me by surprise! :eek:

I know that none of ye have ever seen a C5 before, so I'll be sure to take a few pictures of it. :P I am looking forward to seeing if it looks any better with the bigger wheels. Fingers crossed!

Yer man said that he can't NCT it for me. He said he'll book it in when he can and we can arrange a date, but as it's not due til November, he can't book it yet. But he did give me a written receipt stating the work that had been done to the car, and that they would guarantee an NCT until November 2017.

The work done to it, according to the receipt, was; New timing belt, Water Pump, 2 gearbox seals, 2 front brake discs and pads, full service. If I have a warranty issue, I'll be curious to see how it plays out, but I have to say, my entire experience with Pat Coby at Coby Motors in Cherry Orchard Industrial Estate has been very, very good. I've found him excellent to deal with and I felt it showed great confidence in his stock by letting me bring it to Atlas for a check over before paying anything.

(I wrote the address above just as an aid for anyone who may google or boards search in future). My experience, so far, has been entirely positive.

THAT SAID.. It's off to my own mechanic tomorrow to get some verification that the work stated has actually been done on the car. I could be getting told porkies, but I'll know for sure tomorrow.

Ultimately though, after a smooth drive home and a bit of messing around the town, I have a fairly big smile on my face.

Cheers to everyone on here for listening to me droning on and on about it. I know I annoyed a few of ye, but I really, genuinely do appreciate all of the help assistance and information/advice that was given to me. Thank you! :)

What did you get it for in the end ?

I hear they have very good suspension since it's not the traditional type.

• Advertisement

. €80 to fill it though? Fcuk me, that took me by surprise! :eek:

Congrats, the OH and I have both previously owned C5s, albeit petrol hatches, very comfy.

Yer man is talking bollox by the way, you can nct a car at any time since the rules changed a few months ago.
    beertons wrote: »
    The missus crashed her car on the way home from work earlier. Skid straight into a wall, turned a bit, hit the accelerator, and went straight into the opposite wall. 5pm and nothing behind her and nothing oncoming. Some fright she got. Me too, not the call I was expecting.

Hope she's ok?

Thanks for the tyre advice lads, the place I went to is a lovely crowd, so I'll go in and ask them to price up the specific Vredstiens you've mentioned (sorry about the spelling on that word)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement