Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 240mb broadband and telephone package €45/month

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,191 ✭✭✭✭DvB

bk wrote: »
    That modem only supports DOCSIS 2.0, which maxes out at 30mb/s. You will need a new modem/router that supports DOCSIS 3.0 for speeds faster then 30mb/s (60, 120, 240mb/s).

It is like changing from ADSL to VDSL. Much more modern technology.

Any idea what the performance of the Thompson router/modem that UPC provide is like?
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Just for those wondering about the router: I'm using the Cisco 3925 (Docsis 3.0 enabled model), and I'm getting ~240Mbps on my 200Mbps account.
    So it is more than capable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Just for those wondering about the router: I'm using the Cisco 3925 (Docsis 3.0 enabled model), and I'm getting ~240Mbps on my 200Mbps account.
    So it is more than capable.

I have the Technicolour all in one modem router (with no bridge mode), how did you get the 3925?

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Ronan

Thanks to the OP! I rang and switched to this package today, saves me €10 a month while increasing speeds and giving free mobile calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Is it possible to change / upgrade a UPC package online? I logged into my account on the website but couldn't find an option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Goodshape wrote: »
    Is it possible to change / upgrade a UPC package online? I logged into my account on the website but couldn't find an option.

It is but you won't save anything.

Human contact required to save.

They look for €60 to do it online, call and they will do it for free (12 month new contract).

€60 just to initiate the change, in addition to the €45/m? Cowboys, Ted.

I'll give them a call later. The sales team on the phone tend to drive me up the wall, though. I know exactly what I want and they'll still try to explain the benefits and differences of various packages to me, while unable to answer the most basic technical queries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Caliden wrote: »
    It is but you won't save anything.

Human contact required to save.

If your current package is more expensive that the new ones then you will.

The €60 should be just if you need to update your modem, doesn't apply if yours is already capable. I ended up ringing anyway just to clarify that point with them as I didn't want their online system assuming I needed a new one. There is small print there on the €60, it says package depending or something like that.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    The €60 should be just if you need to update your modem, doesn't apply if yours is already capable.

Definitely need a new modem. We're on an almost embarrassingly old UPC package at the moment.

So, more questions actually... is the modem they give me for €60 worth it, or am I better off getting my own?

And am I right now in thinking the new modem is free, for existing customers, if I call them to upgrade?

Honestly afraid to call them without having the answers myself beforehand. Last time I tried to upgrade yer man on the phone was beyond clueless.

• Advertisement

I have the Technicolour all in one modem router (with no bridge mode), how did you get the 3925?
    I moved to the faster speeds. I was 150Mbps, then bumped up.
    Also, I just asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

I moved to the faster speeds. I was 150Mbps, then bumped up.
    Also, I just asked.

I upgraded to 240Mb today but want to get the 3925 too so I can bridge it. How recently were they able to give you one? I am the original Technicolor too and its a crock of sh1t!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Larcoon

Ronan wrote: »
    Thanks to the OP! I rang and switched to this package today, saves me €10 a month while increasing speeds and giving free mobile calls.

What package have you got now, and how much are you paying

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭bromley52

I'll give them a call later. The sales team on the phone tend to drive me up the wall, though. I know exactly what I want and they'll still try to explain the benefits and differences of various packages to me, while unable to answer the most basic technical queries.

Ring the UPC loyalty dept on 061 272190. They are so nice and have no problem in giving the 'new customer offers' or better to existing customer. The main sales staff are completely clueless and rude.

I upgraded to 240Mb today but want to get the 3925 too so I can bridge it. How recently were they able to give you one? I am the original Technicolor too and its a crock of sh1t!

Thanks
    Easily two years now.
    Just be polite and friendly with Loyalty. :)

bromley52 wrote: »
    Ring the UPC loyalty dept on 061 272190. They are so nice and have no problem in giving the 'new customer offers' or better to existing customer. The main sales staff are completely clueless and rude.
    Its in their interest to be nice and stop people cancelling. They get commision. I used to work in AOL and the cancellations department was called 'member save'

Larcoon wrote: »
    What package have you got now, and how much are you paying

I got the 240mb Limitless with mobile for €45

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭theintern

The shït router upc supply is good for 50mbps alright, I got one on adverts for €60 and wifi is good for 450mbps n, so just waiting on upc to catch up :)

As for bandwidth, depends on the number of seeders :D

Which one did you buy and what speeds are you getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭techdiver

Thanks

Is it the Technicolor TC7200?

have you tried the hidden page here - http://192.168.0.1/system/switch-mode.asp to switch to Bridge Mode?

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭theintern

Ring them and say you want things to be 'deconsolidated', they offered me the choice when I upgraded my package.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

stimpson wrote: »
    I'm not going anywhere and I have no plans to cancel. I've been with UPC for 5 years or more and have never had a problem. I think I can remember one day when the service was down. Who would I go to anyway? Eircom? Lol.

Oh no arguing with their internet speeds, it's great. Fantastic for you, just that their tactics won't suit people who aren't as content with price/package etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭darconio

Anybody knows, when canceling the TV service and keeping just the internet, is the analog signal still received?
    E.G. I have the digital box in one room with all the channels, but if I hook up the cable to the TV I receive the standard analog (DTT?18?) channels : will this still works if I subscribe just to the internet?

techdiver wrote: »

have you tried the hidden page here - http://192.168.0.1/system/switch-mode.asp to switch to Bridge Mode?

Will try it later, I was under the impression it needed a firmware update

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Ronan wrote: »
    I got the 240mb Limitless with mobile for €45

whats mobile? is it like a mobile phone package ?free calls/texts/data on your normal smart phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭bromley52

Armelodie wrote: »
    whats mobile? is it like a mobile phone package ?free calls/texts/data on your normal smart phone?

Its nothing to do with your mobile provider.

The upc (home phone and bb) 45 euro gives totally free local, national and roi mobile calls on your home phone. There is an app (horizon phone) that you can install on your smartphone which will let you make and receive calls as if you are using your home phone. Wifi or data required. This will allow to to use you UPC free calls while out and about and even abroad. You will make those calls using the app.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Akula

Will try it later, I was under the impression it needed a firmware update

Would be interested to hear how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭WIZWEB

darconio wrote: »
    Anybody knows, when canceling the TV service and keeping just the internet, is the analog signal still received?
    E.G. I have the digital box in one room with all the channels, but if I hook up the cable to the TV I receive the standard analog (DTT?18?) channels : will this still works if I subscribe just to the internet?

Yep. Works for me

techdiver wrote: »

Worked a treat-cheers. I have the ****box for over a year and had given up on getting bridge mode on it.
    So I had my router already setup with static LAN IP and wifi DHCP range etc. I went to that URL (with my correct modem IP), changed from router to bridge and it reset itself.
    Ran a net cable to my router from the modem. Power cycled the tow of them. Then waited a few mins and I got an Ip on my laptop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

So it's just a simple matter of setting to bridge mode, hooking up another router via Ethernet and using the new router as your main one for WiFi and Ethernet?

Advertisement