Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Hunt 14/15 thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Nice performance by dodging bullets today in the tingle creek, boosts the Uxzandre form quite substantially and both could have big years. Unfortunate to see Oscar Whiskey come to grief and have to be put to sleep,was a lovely horse.

Nice racing in Ireland tomorrow with plenty of good clashes.

Cork has a good Novice hurdle with No more heroes and Black Hercules coming up against each other and i fully expect No More Heroes to win even though he'll likely be about 5/2 whereas Black Hercules will be close to evens.
    There's a Grade 2 chase later in the card with Twinlight,Days Hotel,Felix younger and Alderwood amongst others but the one i like is Mallowney who ran well for a long way last time out over a trip that stretches him stamina and i think it was arguably a stronger race,the drop in trip should suit and at double figures or close to it i'll be backing him e/w.
    Vroom Vroom Mag runs in the Mares chase but will probably go off about 1/10 she looked very impressive last time out and will scoot in again barring an accident.

At Punchestown the beginners chase interests me,Un atout will surely be all the rage after having such an exciting Novice campaign 2 seasons back and being a Gigginstown/Mullins horse but with i'll be opposing him with Mala beach,his run last time out behind Tullow tank doesn't look great with Tullow tank after bombing out last week but i don't think that's his true form and Mala beaches run behind him was very interesting,he was given a very easy time of it all the way round to get him enjoying himself and he jumped real well and creeped into it before finishing 2nd,it was a nice introduction and the ground tomorrow should have a bit more juice which will suit. Another one to watch in that race is King Leon i've a suspicion a race like the Paddy power chase over Xmas at Leopardstown is the plan for him.

The big attraction of the day no doubt though is the Drinmore and i think i'll side with Don Cossack here,has been running well this season and jumps impeccably which can't be said of his chief market rival Boston Bob and although BB won a grade 1 over 2 1/2 mile i think he's best over further and his main target for the season is the big one in March. Speaking of the big one in March the current champ Lord Windermere makes his return and i couldn't be backing him on his comeback run especially as he seems a spring horse. Texas Jack's having his 1st run since April and seems to come on for his 1st run so i'll be surprised if he wins and Rathlin needs further to see his best. If there's to be a surprise to run a big race i'd say Baily Green,didn't run well on his reappearance but surely with the purpose of loosening out the legs. At his best he was rated within 4 or 5 pounds of the best of these and Mouse Morris is a genius at getting chasers ready for 1 race and this could be his.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭ste2010

Anyon fancy felix yonger in the race in cork?
    I'd imagine don Cossack will win over this distance today but it would be a different scenario over further

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

ste2010 wrote: »
    Anyon fancy felix yonger in the race in cork?
    I'd imagine don Cossack will win over this distance today but it would be a different scenario over further

I think McCoy on Alderwood will pass Willie's two in the last 200 yards!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Go on the Don!!!
    Ryanair or GC?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Did anyone else think that Sexton hit Ludo Et Emergo?

He was going to grab the reigns and it looked like he just decided to hit the horse instead.

• Advertisement

Go on the Don!!!
    Ryanair or GC?

Depends of Sir Des Champs comes back as the same horse or if road to riches keeps progressing. If the answer to both of them is no then DC will go Gold cup otherwise i'd expect they Ryanair this year with a view to perhaps the Gold cup next year. Was good to see him respond when asked a few serious questions which isn't always the case with him.

Was agonisingly close with Mallowney after a mistake 1 or 2 fences in he jumped impeccably and travelled like a real good animal,in hindsight i'd say Robbie would've held on for a few more strides but the horse was going so well i can't really blame him just one of them things,well done Ste with Felix Younger.

Mala Beach did what i expected jumping well and using fitness. Un Atout had a bad mistake early and did well to get back in the race before Ruby took it easy when he knew he wouldn't win,there's still a good horse there. Did you spot King Leon plugging on for 3rd :p He aint entered for the Paddy power chase but keep an eye for him when he goes handicapping over a trip :cool:

Haven't seen Vroom vroom mags race yet but hear she scooted in again,would've been a shock if she hadn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

I knew well Walsh and heskin were up to something today when I seen the ride he gave foxrock. Gave up after the 3rd last and told the stewarts the horse lost a shoe.

Keep an eye on him next time out

I knew well Walsh and heskin were up to something today when I seen the ride he gave foxrock. Gave up after the 3rd last and told the stewarts the horse lost a shoe.

Keep an eye on him next time out

Was pretty blatant,most would have expected the horse would be out for a spin before the Paddy power over xmas but to make it so obvious was a tad idiotic. One day ban for Heskin and nothing for Ted i believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Mongrel.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

What did Heskin do on Foxrock? Missed it and not bothered looking at the replay.

• Advertisement

What did Heskin do on Foxrock? Missed it and not bothered looking at the replay.

Did not try at all and made a horrible job of hiding it.

It's the sort of thing that makes Irish racing look like a stinking rotten corrupt sport, and the fact that the stewards took no action against Ted Walsh says it all.

From Irish Racing website...

The Stewards enquired into the running and riding of Foxrock, placed third, ridden by A.P. Heskin, and trained by T.M. Walsh. Evidence was heard from the rider and trainer concerned.

A.P. Heskin, stated that his instructions were to jump his mount off 5th or 6th, give him space at his fences, get into a good rhythm and do his best from there. He said early on the race was developing as he planned but after passing the stands, he clipped a heel, stumbled badly and lost his action and from there on he wasn't entirely happy with his mount, with him being behind the bridle from down the back straight. He said from about 4 out he was riding as strong as he could bearing in mind he wasn't entirely happy with how he was moving.

T.M. Walsh confirmed the instructions and stated that watching the race live he felt his rider could've been a bit more forceful between 3 out and 2 out, and he could've used his whip at this stage.

However his rider explained on dismounting how he wasn't entirely happy with how the horse moved in the second half of the race and as the horse returned to the stable yard,

Mr Walsh noticed that his front shoes were missing, and at this stage his riders report made sense and he was satisfied with the ride.

The Stewards also received a report from the Turf Club Veterinary Officer who stated that Foxrock had pulled off both his front shoes in running and was slightly lame post race.

Having viewed the recording of the race and considered the evidence, the Stewards noted the explanations offered by both rider and trainer, but were of the opinion A.P. Heskin was in breach of Rule 213 in that he failed to report in the first instance something that may have affected the running of his mount, and having taken his record into account, they suspended him for 1 raceday.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

If he wasn't happy with how his mount was moving, he should have pulled him up.

convert wrote: »
    If he wasn't happy with how his mount was moving, he should have pulled him up.

But he wouldn't have been able to complete the "race" then Convert!! ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

TheTorment wrote: »
    But he wouldn't have been able to complete the "race" then Convert!! ;)

And finish pretty well for a horse who just wasn't moving well :p

Something is rotten in the state of Punchestown! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭tomaussie

Well 10/1 available for all those brave enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭unitedrover

I think Gordon Elliott is gradually building a team of live prospects for Cheltenham in March. Obviously a few of them have to further increase their progression but on what they've done thus far they have chances. No more heroes, ( I would have liked to see how he got on yesterday but was a nr) needs a run or two against top novice to judge him. The same goes for Free Expression. Clarcam ran very well on his chasing debut behind Vautour and backed it up with an impressive win last week. It could be that Vautour remains ahead of him all season but he is one to get excited about. Mala Beach was quite impressive yesterday and is a thorough stayer. Elliott's suggestion of the National Hunt Chase could be ideal and stamina is his forte and it probably depends on the RSA field whether he does divert there.He does need soft ground however so that's something to note.

His stable star at the moment is of course Don Cossack. Three wins this term and is quickly showing himself to be a to Irish contender for Cheltenham in either the Ryanair or the Gold Cup. I would have thought the Gold Cup would be the aim as he doesn't appear to be tiring late on. He does probably need to run over 3 mile in something like the Hennessy to determine where he does go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭madmoose

Gordon said yesterday if he has it his way he will be going straight to the ryanair from now but he will be chatting to the owners. Might depend how road to riches gets on over the next few months as he looks their gold cup hope currently unless sir des champs returns?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭shy-tall-knight

Read in the Post today that Trifolium has been put down, been a rough couple months for Charles Byrnes yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭nobody told me

Did anyone see the bumper in punchestown yesterday? There was a dr ronan lambe horse ridden by ken power that was one of the most blatant non-triers I've seen in a while

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭curioser

Did anyone see the bumper in punchestown yesterday? There was a dr ronan lambe horse ridden by ken power that was one of the most blatant non-triers I've seen in a while
    There was an AJM runner in the bumper that was probably just as blatant - following in the pattern of half-decent bumper horses that don't take on Mullins hotpots.
    And as for Martin's Blair Perrone in Cork, looked like a pipe opener for Christmas, when presumably the owner will be home from New York.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Andalucia

Irish stewards only interested in adding the non-triers to their trackers, certainly not interested in tackling the issue head on. When they do, its usually the small trainers and owners that get the slap on the wrist.

They won't take on the establishment. Guess we all got to eat.

Cracker of a run from Lord Windermere. Don Cosack is very ground dependent, think he needs it soft, generally Irish soft not in the equation some March.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Pique Sous back in training, anyone think they'll go for a big spring handicap hurdle or wait for Galway again?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Pique Sous back in training, anyone think they'll go for a big spring handicap hurdle or wait for Galway again?

They'll hardly sneak him into a handicap at the chelt festival??

convert wrote: »
    And finish pretty well for a horse who just wasn't moving well :p

Trainers and jockeys who use the "clipping heels" and "not moving well" excuse should take a look at this, and then keep their mouths shut.....

Trainers and jockeys who use the "clipping heels" and "not moving well" excuse should take a look at this, and then keep their mouths shut.....

WOOOOWWWW!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

They'll hardly sneak him into a handicap at the chelt festival??

Given the trouble they have keeping him right you'd have to think they'll take in Cheltenham if he's ready. As a NH syndicate, the festival is what it's all about. Be very, very interesting for the county.

• Advertisement

Andalucia wrote: »

Cracker of a run from Lord Windermere. Don Cosack is very ground dependent, think he needs it soft, generally Irish soft not in the equation some March.

"Very ground dependent" seems harsh.. Two Grade 1s on Good and Good to Yielding, beat Carlingford Lough and Road to Riches handily on Good to Firm, and was travelling quite well in the RSA before falling and beat some nice horse into second at Aintree over good.
    I'm pretty sure Elliot or Cooper said he thought he might prefer the better ground on ATR recently but I could be wrong.
    Granted the good ground at the festival mightn't be the same as here but I'd be confident he'll be competitive on it.

Advertisement