Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love/Hate [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,986 ✭✭✭thesandeman

*reminder to myself* Pull emergency cord everytime I see lads messin around from the window next time Im on the train going at 70mph (Could be a long and expensive journey from Galway to Dublin) but sure Im only doing my civic duty ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Was a very good RTE drama. Really enjoyed it. I presume it was only commisioned for 4 initial episodes to keep costs down and for RTE to see what the reaction to it was. Hopefully RTE give it the proper breathing room to develop the characters and commision 12 or so episodes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 itsbillythehick

el diablo wrote: »
    Yeah I reckon it was one of RTÉ's better productions although a bit short at four episodes.

Still didn't have enough plot to fill the four episodes they had. If they'd slotted in a subpolt about someone actually suffering from the amount of drugs they consume, rather than just how much power and money you get from dealing them, it would've been a stronger show.

But seriously, the musical number at the wedding? Beyond ridiculous. What they were thinkng, I'll never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Still didn't have enough plot to fill the four episodes they had. If they'd slotted in a subpolt about someone actually suffering from the amount of drugs they consume, rather than just how much power and money you get from dealing them, it would've been a stronger show.

But seriously, the musical number at the wedding? Beyond ridiculous. What they were thinkng, I'll never know.

Have to agree. They could have easily placed a sub-plot in with relation to the woman that was handing money over to Nidge, she owes him 1000 euro.

Here is a good drama about drug trafficing from Channel 4 (its an old one but a good one).

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/traffik/4od#2922449

Even Proof did a better job of dealing with Gansters etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Namabillion

RTÉ show Love/Hate wins major award

http://www.rte.ie/ten/2010/1115/rte.html

RTÉ's gangland drama 'Love/Hate' has won the Cinéma Tous Ecrans (CTE) Best Series Award.
    1 of 2
    Love/Hate - Won the Cinéma Tous Ecrans Best Series Award
    The international film festival, held every year since 1995 in Geneva, Switzerland, brings together television, film and multimedia.

'Love/Hate' was commissioned by RTÉ as a four-part series and produced by Octagon Films.

Written by Stuart Carolan, it starred Aidan Gillen, Robert Sheehan, Brian Gleeson, Ruth Bradley and Ruth Negga.

Jane Gogan, Commissioning Editor of Drama in RTÉ, said: "The high viewing figures the series commanded demonstrate that the series was of strong appeal, and is representative of RTÉ Drama's ambition to be relevant and innovative in terms of what we deliver to our audience."

"This award is testimony to the overall calibre of the series and we have high hopes that as 'Love/Hate' is picked up by international broadcasters that its reputation and fan base will continue to grow."

The series also secured a nomination for Best Drama at the prestigious Prix Europa Awards in October.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Heard they're shooting the second series, wonder if Darren will still be alive, or has Stumpy done for him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

Heard they're shooting the second series, wonder if Darren will still be alive, or has Stumpy done for him!

According to the Sunday World a few weeks ago
    He survived

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

Who is funding this, need a serious chat with themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I thought
    Darren
    had died until today. They're shooting some of it in a friends apartment, scenes with
    Darren and Rosie

• Registered Users Posts: 9,986 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Thanks for sharing that with us.
    If only you were around when JR got shot it would have saved us months of suspense :-S

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

JG009 wrote: »
    Who is funding this, need a serious chat with themselves.

Maybe the high viewing figures and the International award might be a reason to fund it - just saying:rolleyes:

Oh and I thought it was excellent too!!

wow sierra wrote: »
    Maybe the high viewing figures and the International award might be a reason to fund it - just saying:rolleyes:

Oh and I thought it was excellent too!!

You don't count.

It might improve!

• Registered Users Posts: 85,415 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

http://www.rte.ie/ten/video.html#2957424,2957424,flash,255

Love/ Hate star Susan Loughnane talks about her new character Debbie ahead of the second series of the RTÉ crime drama

RTE are giving it a repeat showing again starting this Saturday night

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    RTE are giving it a repeat showing again starting this Saturday night

RTE ONE 10:40

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 guddd show

is darren not dead stumpy dead johnboy won he got what he wanted unless an ambulance came and saved him cause i seen mary dressed in black and lighting a candle at the church so what could happen nxt if there is a new series

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

guddd show wrote: »
    is darren not dead stumpy dead johnboy won he got what he wanted unless an ambulance came and saved him cause i seen mary dressed in black and lighting a candle at the church so what could happen nxt if there is a new series

Serious lack of punctuation.
    There will be a second series and Darren is alive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

Just watched this on RTE player. I thought it was good up until the last episode. However, the character of John Boy was too unrealistic for me. Early on, He seemed like a reasonable guy, and that stable reasoning was why he was such a success.

However, his reaction to Darren in the last episode was completely unreasonable. It was apparent that Hughie was in the wrong to everybody. The brother should have been able to see this too, especially based on the previous insights we saw of John Boy's character.

Hughies shooting and the last scene did come very unexpectedly for me; certainly came out of the blue.

Not sure what the whole Tommy - Mary thing was about. Thought something more would come from it???

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ashsweety69

Jesus! You're all sooo serious, its not real people...don't ya think we get enough about gangland violence and murder everyday in the papers and on the news???? Take the show for wot it is...pure escapism. Oh, and by the way....Robbie Sheehan is a total ride!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Jesus! You're all sooo serious, its not real people...don't ya think we get enough about gangland violence and murder everyday in the papers and on the news???? Take the show for wot it is...pure escapism. Oh, and by the way....Robbie Sheehan is a total ride!!!!
    You bumped a month old thread just to say that?

Are you Robert Sheehan's Mammy?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭el diablo

phasers wrote: »
    You bumped a month old thread just to say that?

Are you Robert Sheehan's Mammy?

Would mammies from the midlands refer to their sons as "total rides"? :confused:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

el diablo wrote: »
    Would mammies from the midlands refer to their sons as "total rides"? :confused:

Middle Ireland is a strange place!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭el diablo

Elmo wrote: »
    Middle Ireland is a strange place!

So true. ;)

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Can Rob Sheenan not die in series finales or something?! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

The best thing about the last series was that young Gleeson lad and he was shot. I thought he was very good. Apart from that it was pretty awful and I was surprised that Aidan Gillen was such a bad actor considering how well he is doing. The other guy Sheehan was brutal. The guy that got married in the last series was pretty good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,323 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Think I mostly enjoyed the first series. Just had to shelve any sense of reality and enjoy it as a crime romp, was a decent effort for RTE imo.

Second series starts 9.30 tonight.
    RTE have played a blinder with the trailer and previews and kept the whole 'Did Darren survive?' thing in suspense. :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

RTE have played a blinder with the trailer and previews and kept the whole 'Did Darren survive?' thing in suspense. :pac::pac:

I thought the bits used for the ad were badly acted ... Gillan saying "did you tell him, did you tell him".. I cant take him seriously as a "hard man".. I think he was far more suited to the role he had in The Wire..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,323 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I thought the bits used for the ad were badly acted ... Gillan saying "did you tell him, did you tell him".. I cant take him seriously as a "hard man".. I think he was far more suited to the role he had in The Wire..

Yep, he does the background manipulator role far better than the hardman role. Plays similar character in Game Of Thrones that he played in The Wire and nails it there also.
    He's probably the only cast member of Love/Hate getting paid super dollars, so they must insist on him throwing a few punches and threatening with a gun, buts he's fairly laughable at it alright.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement