Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love/Hate [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Namabillion

Viewing Figures.
    Ep1 - 400,000
    Ep2 - 405,000
    Ep3 - 434,000
    Ep4 - 383,000

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭LizardKing

have not read full thread .. watched the four episodes on the rte player ... enjoyed the show , better than i expected ... some good irish talent on show ... few cringe worthy moments but overall not too bad ... I think we should be supporting the irish made tv shows at least they are putting people to work here rather than paying US corporations for syndicated TV shows ....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Wertz wrote: »
    Sopranos maybe (don't watch it myself).
    Oz (although it gives the side of the prison authorities andcertainly doesn't paint a lot of it's cast in a good light).
    The Shield perhaps (blurs the lines where the cops are the crims, but the real crims get the usual treatment)
    Probably some UK stuff that I can't recall offhand. (Hustle maybe?)

Thanks The Sopranos .... but then they had some FBI agents. The part in the psychics office reminded me a bit of the Sopranos :rolleyes:. I did think of saying Oz but they were already in jail so I don't think that you can count them unless you count Prisoner in Cell Block H or ITV's Bad Girls. The Wire pre-dates the Shield????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Elmo wrote: »
    The Wire pre-dates the Shield????

Both 2002 afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Feeded

Was the character 'ELMO' in Love/Hate one of the musicians in The Commitments. . I think he was a guitarist????

• Advertisement

Feeded wrote: »
    Was the character 'ELMO' in Love/Hate one of the musicians in The Commitments. . I think he was a guitarist????

sure he'd be too young to have been a musician in that
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0455663/

Feeded wrote: »

TV character's robbing my nickname on boards yet again. :rolleyes: You think they would have come up with something better. There is no way an Elmo is a Gangsta.

Elmo_da_Gangsta_by_Mrd122.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Lvbrs

I happened upon this utter ****e last night while flicking thru channels. Who the hell wrote this and got away with it??? The script is horrific, dialogue unbelievable, accents awful and then they throw in some musical moments???? It's a bad scanger version of GLEE. Why am I wasting my TV licence money on cretins who continually come up with dramas about gangland Ireland, junkies, scangers etc as though they were entertaining? They are far from entertaining in reality, so please do not put them on the telly in this amateur styled programme. Garbage!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Lvbrs wrote: »
    I happened upon this utter ****e last night while flicking thru channels. Who the hell wrote this and got away with it??? The script is horrific, dialogue unbelievable, accents awful and then they throw in some musical moments???? It's a bad scanger version of GLEE. Why am I wasting my TV licence money on cretins who continually come up with dramas about gangland Ireland, junkies, scangers etc as though they were entertaining? They are far from entertaining in reality, so please do not put them on the telly in this amateur styled programme. Garbage!!!
    Ah jaysus it wasn't that bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭el diablo

Yeah I reckon it was one of RTÉ's better productions although a bit short at four episodes.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It was made and funded by RTÉ ergo it must be the worst possible crap imaginable - at least according to this forum - witness Hardy Bucks.

Only caught a couple of episodes of Love/Hate and while it looked good and the script seemed tight, the lead character just wasn't believable as an underworld drug dealing murderer. He was too much of a pretty boy and his scanger accent was well off.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

It was made and funded by RTÉ ergo it must be the worst possible crap imaginable - at least according to this forum - witness Hardy Bucks.

Only caught a couple of episodes of Love/Hate and while it looked good and the script seemed tight, the lead character just wasn't believable as an underworld drug dealing murdering. He was too much of a pretty boy and his scanger accent was well off.
    He seemed to "dublin" up a bit for the last episode?

el diablo wrote: »
    Yeah I reckon it was one of RTÉ's better productions although a bit short at four episodes.

Most of the posters who have said this, possibly said this about every other new drama RTÉ have produced. I am going to go through boards at some stage and prove this point.

Dont think it was meant to be entertaining as such, and the reality is that there is dangerous psychos in society, not too unlike the characters in love/hate, who are taking pops at each other in the streets and have the law in their pocket, lets be honest.

I thought Brian Gleeson was excellent in it personally. if i had a criticism of him, he prob too similar in style to his old man to the point that if his old man played a character in something, they could use Brian for his flashback scenes if he had any.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

This was diabolic, as bad as the script was it was very unrealistic too in many parts.
    Did you see when Brendan Gleesons son shot himself and the Luas strolled passed? Was that a foopaa, the ERU would have been there in second. It was at bluebell football club on the nass road, Clondalkin, Ballyfermot, Crumlin, Ronanstown and Lucan copshop all within a stones throw away!

1) They drove around in flashy cars.
    2) They drove around with guns seemingly all the time, I would say the majority of these so called gangsters would only have guns on them when absolutely needed etc & get the dropped to the area they are needed by little nobodys in your average run of the mill cars but to carry them around themselves in 520d BMWs - Hello 7 years minimum please.
    3) They carried cash around a lot themselves and went into a house where elmos father was counting buckets of notes. They would be the most stupid criminals going to have a safe house for cash counting etc that they personally visit in an associates fathers home - PLEASE. Ever heard of the proceeds of crime act and detention of cash beyond 48 hours? Clearly the script writers didn't.

In real life things would have been a lot more subtle, the drug handovers etc would have been by the two aul lads on the side line watching the local sunday football game where there were bags left right and centre and no one would have noticed or suspected a thing.

Please don't anyone compare it to the wire, the wire was a work of art. This was tripe. I would love to know what it cost them to produce start to finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

JG009 wrote: »
    This was diabolic, as bad as the script was it was very unrealistic too in many parts.
    Did you see when Brendan Gleesons son shot himself and the Luas strolled passed? Was that a foopaa, the ERU would have been there in second. It was at bluebell football club on the nass road, Clondalkin, Ballyfermot, Crumlin, Ronanstown and Lucan copshop all within a stones throw away!

Why do so many naysayers come up with this location tripe. Show me one TV drama or film anywhere in the world that is location perfect so that the few local people watching can transport themselves into the locations? - there isn't one.

Did we tear Father ted apart becasue the cinema was in Greystones and the parochial house was meant to be on a west clare island and was actually 30 miles inland in corofin.

Do we tear CSI New York apart because one scene in Queens and the next down at Coney Island?

Do we tear Criminal Minds apar because one scene in a totally different area of La than the porevious one - yet its meant to be around the corner?

No we don't. Us Irish only tear our own apart because of phenonemal jealousy.

91011 wrote: »
    Do we tear CSI New York apart because one scene in Queens and the next down at Coney Island?

Do we tear Criminal Minds apar because one scene in a totally different area of La than the porevious one - yet its meant to be around the corner?

May I say that Love/Hate is ten times better than either of these shows?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭shinny

Dont think it was meant to be entertaining as such, and the reality is that there is dangerous psychos in society, not too unlike the characters in love/hate, who are taking pops at each other in the streets and have the law in their pocket, lets be honest.

I thought Brian Gleeson was excellent in it personally. if i had a criticism of him, he prob too similar in style to his old man to the point that if his old man played a character in something, they could use Brian for his flashback scenes if he had any.

+1. I think he was the only one I genuinely believed to be a psycho!! Agree that he was so like his old man. Good idea about the flashbacks for Brendan!!

All in all I quite enjoyed this and there are way too many people on here who didn't like it just because RTE made it. That's....well, just rather pathetic to be frank.

[QUOTE=91011;68759038
    No we don't. Us Irish only tear our own apart because of phenonemal jealousy.[/QUOTE]

I still stand by the fact it genuinely sucked. No jealousy about it. They may has well have had the bishops from fair city in it.

shinny wrote: »
    +1. I think he was the only one I genuinely believed to be a psycho!! Agree that he was so like his old man. Good idea about the flashbacks for Brendan!!

All in all I quite enjoyed this and there are way too many people on here who didn't like it just because RTE made it. That's....well, just rather pathetic to be frank.

So true and like to be honest this wouldn't be an easy thing to research unless Ross Kemp or Donal McIntyre was willing to do it for you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭ianrush

I would love to know what it cost them to produce start to finish.
    The budget for the four episodes was just over 2 million.

ianrush wrote: »
    The budget for the four episodes was just over 2 million.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Redr

I thought Love/Hate was great! Okay, Darren was too Bambi-like with the big, green eyes as was his love interest but wasn't Nig great? Total gurrier, unattractive, a charmer, a sycophant regarding John Boy, mean, unemotional, me feiner? A very good actor.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,472 ✭✭✭✭kippy

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Dunno what you are surprised about..........
    These things cost money to make.
    http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/869035/how_much_do_television_shows_cost_to.html

kippy wrote: »
    Dunno what you are surprised about..........
    These things cost money to make.
    http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/869035/how_much_do_television_shows_cost_to.html

They probably blew half it on the use of the rap tracks. I'm surprised that it was that much and still terrible.

They probably blew half it on the use of the rap tracks. I'm surprised that it was that much and still terrible.

And your not surprised that Grey's Anatomy costs €2.5million per episode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Finished it today and thought it was good, I'll echo comments about Gleeson, he played his character very well and was the stand out character in it. Don't get the criticisms about it, particularly the accents, obviously those who made them have been fortunate not to have any dealings with some of Dublins finest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Hifiseller

1) They drove around in flashy cars.
    2) They drove around with guns seemingly all the time, I would say the majority of these so called gangsters would only have guns on them when absolutely needed etc & get the dropped to the area they are needed by little nobodys in your average run of the mill cars but to carry them around themselves in 520d BMWs - Hello 7 years minimum please.
    3) They carried cash around a lot themselves and went into a house where elmos father was counting buckets of notes. They would be the most stupid criminals going to have a safe house for cash counting etc that they personally visit in an associates fathers home - PLEASE. Ever heard of the proceeds of crime act and detention of cash beyond 48 hours? Clearly the script writers didn't.

In real life things would have been a lot more subtle, the drug handovers etc would have been by the two aul lads on the side line watching the local sunday football game where there were bags left right and centre and no one would have noticed or suspected a thing.

Please don't anyone compare it to the wire, the wire was a work of art. This was tripe. I would love to know what it cost them to produce start to finish.

What a load of ****e.....just one of those nobs whos going to be critical of everything cos thats their purpose on internet forums ...picking pedantic holes...oh is that how it would pan out in real life is it? you sound like a real gangster all right.....this series was effin very good...right from everything about Nig to the hard / cold facial expressions of John Boy (leaving aside his accent for a while)..to the way the whole thing was lit which captured a lot about Dublin around a certain time of the year..

Some very nice touches from Nig doing his somersault into the wedding to Hughie shooting himself in the head a la recent Limerick criminal....good stuff

Yes its not the WIre...... because its not meant to be the Wire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Hifiseller

Sounds like he just has a scanger phobia...midsomer murders might suit more...

• Advertisement

Hifiseller wrote: »
    What a load of ****e.....just one of those nobs whos going to be critical of everything cos thats their purpose on internet forums ...picking pedantic holes...oh is that how it would pan out in real life is it? you sound like a real gangster all right.....this series was effin very good...right from everything about Nig to the hard / cold facial expressions of John Boy (leaving aside his accent for a while)..to the way the whole thing was lit which captured a lot about Dublin around a certain time of the year..

Some very nice touches from Nig doing his somersault into the wedding to Hughie shooting himself in the head a la recent Limerick criminal....good stuff

Yes its not the WIre...... because its not meant to be the Wire

I am not critical of everything.
    Yes because thats what they do when they are going about their business. Is drive around with a gun, doing cocaine off coins, pull in to take a leak on the side of a main road (nass road could have been any road though) across from a tram (luas, could have been any tram) and a hotel (could have been any hotel) and then wave the gun around in broad daylight just for the crack, as ye do like, before shooting himself by accident.

Or at a funeral slip off up the mountains with your mate to record yourself shooting cans for your bebo page, as ye do. Keep the tape of youself in the car on the way back too.

For those that thought it was good over all you must be easily pleased. The camera work wasn't bad, but everything else c'mom be fair.

And I wasnt the one who said it was the wire, someone previous compared it to the wire, I was asking them not to.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement