Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2009-2011

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Deise Hurler

That team smacks of trying to hold Tipp rather than trying to take them on. Don't think Davy and his selectors have learned much from the shambles that was the semi final last year. Wouldn't be surprised to see Eoin McGrath as a third midfielder, Shane Walsh out wing forward and a two man full forward line. Hope to god i am wrong. Disappointed to see Adrian Power not giving his chance. Can't see the half forward line winning much puck outs either. Has the minor team being named yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

That team smacks of trying to hold Tipp rather than trying to take them on. Don't think Davy and his selectors have learned much from the shambles that was the semi final last year. Wouldn't be surprised to see Eoin McGrath as a third midfielder, Shane Walsh out wing forward and a two man full forward line. Hope to god i am wrong. Disappointed to see Adrian Power not giving his chance. Can't see the half forward line winning much puck outs either. Has the minor team being named yet?

If they do that we are going to get an unmerciful beating!:(

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

I guess atleast if we win with this team, if we faced Kilkenny with our players act playing in their positions we'd have a huge chance >.<

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭liogairmhordain

Deise Tom wrote: »
    ....... that you are happy with except Tipp and Kilkenny with Waterford and maybe Dublin behind them.

There's no "maybe" about it.
    You have to remember where Dublin have come from in the last few years.
    They lost to Laois by 12 points in 2005, and lost to Westmeath in 2006.
    They hadn't beaten a top county since Offaly in 1991.
    Now in each of the last 3 years Dublin have had beaten big teams in the championship - Wexford 2009, Clare 2010, Offaly and Galway 2011.
    Not to mention winning a league.
    It's some turn-around.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭liogairmhordain

think this is how Davy is going to line them out :

Hennessy
    Eoin Mac - Moran - Foley
    Maher - S O'Sullivan - Fives
    Browne - S Walsh
    Mahony - Molumphy - Connors
    Mullane - Brick - B O'Sullivan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Deisetrek

What the f*ck was the point in naming Maher at full back. This sort of sh*t makes me mad :mad: The whole country knows Brick will be full back. Does he think this is tactical ability on his part? He should focus more on having a plan rather than trying to throw off the opposition.

Jerome Maher...what is this about? I mean ok, maybe he's doing well in training and maybe he'll be a good player in the future, but he's never played a championship game...wasn't even good enough to come on the last day...behind Jamie Nagle....:confused: I'd love to know what sort of conversation was had with the selectors ''Hey lads, I've just had a brilliant idea...''

If we pull this off, I think will tell everyone that this team is special and that despite the hinderance of a manager who is out of his depth we have performed well over the past few years.

Eoin McGrath like...:(

Agree on everything here Mountainlad , unbelievable selections .We now have 2 out of six inexperienced backs ( it will only be young Fives 2nd championship match) lining out against the six most lethal forwards in the country . And Eoin Mc Grath ? Christ sakes he'll spend more time on the ground appealing for fictitious frees than making any notable contribution to the game ...........The county board tried to sell the venue of last year's Munster final to Cork , maybe they've just gone the whole hog this time and sold the Munster final to Tipp ?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭egpower

Deisetrek wrote: »
    What the f*ck was the point in naming Maher at full back. This sort of sh*t makes me mad :mad: The whole country knows Brick will be full back. Does he think this is tactical ability on his part? He should focus more on having a plan rather than trying to throw off the opposition.

Jerome Maher...what is this about? I mean ok, maybe he's doing well in training and maybe he'll be a good player in the future, but he's never played a championship game...wasn't even good enough to come on the last day...behind Jamie Nagle....:confused: I'd love to know what sort of conversation was had with the selectors ''Hey lads, I've just had a brilliant idea...''

If we pull this off, I think will tell everyone that this team is special and that despite the hinderance of a manager who is out of his depth we have performed well over the past few years.

Eoin McGrath like...:(

Agree on everything here Mountainlad , unbelievable selections .We now have 2 out of six inexperienced backs ( it will only be young Fives 2nd championship match) lining out against the six most lethal forwards in the country . And Eoin Mc Grath ? Christ sakes he'll spend more time on the ground appealing for fictitious frees than making any notable contribution to the game ...........The county board tried to sell the venue of last year's Munster final to Cork , maybe they've just gone the whole hog this time and sold the Munster final to Tipp ?

How have McGrath and maher been going in training ? Who else could he have selected ?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,902 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Tony Browne is going to have a horrible time me thinks, on one side he has Patrick Bonnor Maher who gave Tommy Walsh a roasting in last years final and if Tony moves to Right Half Back he has Seamus Callinan to mark :(:(.

Looks like another weekend out on the 24th July against Either Cork or Galway hopefully we might get a trip to Croke Park out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭daddydick

Jesus lads wait for the ball to be thrown in will ye?

Some of ye should seriously consider staying at home with the defeatist attitudes ye show.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Not playing six backs and six forwards last year played a huge roll in Waterford's downfall against Tipp and if six backs and six forwards are not played this year we might as well forget about winning.

• Advertisement

There's no "maybe" about it.
    You have to remember where Dublin have come from in the last few years.
    They lost to Laois by 12 points in 2005, and lost to Westmeath in 2006.
    They hadn't beaten a top county since Offaly in 1991.
    Now in each of the last 3 years Dublin have had beaten big teams in the championship - Wexford 2009, Clare 2010, Offaly and Galway 2011.
    Not to mention winning a league.
    It's some turn-around.

I know people are going to come in and jump down my troat, but i dont care, but you cant but help wondering do we have the wrong Clare man over our team.

The County Board does not pick the team, just appoint the people that do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

egpower wrote: »
    How have McGrath and maher been going in training ? Who else could he have selected ?

Its a baffling team selection. I could have named 5 felahs whod go in full back ahead of Maher. Brick will surely start full, maher in the corner and Fives out to wing back. We could hardly put in a fullbackline of rookies (Fives, Maher and Connors whos not supposed to be all that fit) against the most letal full forward line in the game. Dont understand the Eoin McGrath thing either. Eoin Kelly on the bench? Say what u like about him but he should be one of the first felahs on the teamsheet.

This thing about a fellah flying in training is a complete myth as far as im concerend. It can probably be a bit deceiving for a manager looking at a fellah in good form in training every night but at the end of the day championship hurling is a completely different thing and that has been proven many times before.

Unless Davey has some genius trick up his sleeve this could be a massacre. All over after 15 mins...?

Its a baffling team selection. I could have named 5 felahs whod go in full back ahead of Maher. Brick will surely start full, maher in the corner and Fives out to wing back. We could hardly put in a fullbackline of rookies (Fives, Maher and Connors whos not supposed to be all that fit) against the most letal full forward line in the game. Dont understand the Eoin McGrath thing either. Eoin Kelly on the bench? Say what u like about him but he should be one of the first felahs on the teamsheet.

This thing about a fellah flying in training is a complete myth as far as im concerend. It can probably be a bit deceiving for a manager looking at a fellah in good form in training every night but at the end of the day championship hurling is a completely different thing and that has been proven many times before.

Unless Davey has some genius trick up his sleeve this could be a massacre. All over after 15 mins...?

I would nearly put money on this happening and i bet Declan Ryan is expecting the same to happen. I dont know why team managers cant name the team as it will start. I can see changed to the football line out as well tomorrow evening to the team thats named.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Tony Browne is going to have a horrible time me thinks, on one side he has Patrick Bonnor Maher who gave Tommy Walsh a roasting in last years final and if Tony moves to Right Half Back he has Seamus Callinan to mark :(:(.

Looks like another weekend out on the 24th July against Either Cork or Galway hopefully we might get a trip to Croke Park out of it

I would imagine that Seamie will spent most of the game centre forward as opposed to wing, but yeah I agree that Tony Browne will struggle, I watched him closely against Limerick and he never moved more than 5 yards from hes position, he still has the aerial ability the cleverness and the nous but the legs are gone and the way Tipps forwards rotate and look for space I can see him being caught and the liklehood is from the six backs named he will have a rookie corner back behind him, the cornerback will be under serious pressure, a bit like John O'Keefe was exposed in the first 15mins against Clare for us because David Young was getting the mother and father of beatings.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭tom thum

I know people are going to come in and jump down my troat, but i dont care, but you cant but help wondering do we have the wrong Clare man over our team.
    in fairness you are only wondering that now. Me thinks Daly would have gotten an awful lot more out of waterford than davy has.With Daly theres none of the worlds against us bull****. He is straight and sticks to his coaching ability and he does not talk tripe in the press.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭jacko1

why not Lawlor at full back - he did no worse than anyone else in the position and is fit again

1. Kieran Cotter Geraldines
    •2. Maurice O'Gorman The Nire
    •3. Thomas O'Gorman The Nire
    •4. Eamonn Walsh Ballinameela
    •5. Tony Grey Stradbally
    •6. Kieran Connery Clashmore / Kinsalebeg
    •7. Wayne Hennessey Ardmore
    •8. Mick Ahearne Kill
    •9. Gary Hurney Ballinacourty
    •10. Cillian O'Keeffe Clashmore / Kinsalebeg
    •11. Sean Fleming Clashmore / Kinsalebeg
    •12. Paul Whyte Kilrossanty
    •13. Brian Wall The Nire
    •14. Brian Phelan Ballinameela
    •15. Patrick Hurney Ballinacourty

Football team for tomorrow.

The County Board does not pick the team, just appoint the people that do.

G'wayyyy never knew that Tom , thanks for the information :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Yep remember Tipp got 3 goals in 4 minutes against Clare in their semi ? Davy mightn't even get time to react and make the obvious changes he will undoubtedly have to make before the damage is done .......I fear the worst . Thank God we're in the Minor , maybe we can salvage something from the day .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭doz

On what other basis does one then pick the team if it's not based on training??? :confused: in an amateur sport you can't pick players on the basis of reputation alone.

To be honest, a few people here would be better off not bothering going to the game for all the faith being shown. Ye remind me of the lads who left after 20 mins of the 08 Final and who were rightly booed on their way out by both Kilkenny and Waterford supporters. Ye should either get behind the players and show them the respect and support that they deserve for what they do for the jersey or just stay at home in the pub.

doz wrote: »
    On what other basis does one then pick the team if it's not based on training??? :confused: in an amateur sport you can't pick players on the basis of reputation alone.

To be honest, a few people here would be better off not bothering going to the game for all the faith being shown. Ye remind me of the lads who left after 20 mins of the 08 Final and who were rightly booed on their way out by both Kilkenny and Waterford supporters. Ye should either get behind the players and show them the respect and support that they deserve for what they do for the jersey or just stay at home in the pub.

No thanks I'll pass on that , I'll go and support the team ( both teams, and vociferously at that) as I've always done for the last 30 years or more , but people like me won't be talked down to, by people like you for expressing valid concerns regarding baffling team selections . And by the way I stayed seated for all 70 minutes ,as did all the genuine Deise fans during the horrorfest '08 final .

If everybody that thought we would probably lose stayed at home on Sunday, there would be about 300 Waterford fans there to support the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

You base your team on performances in the League. By my reckoning Eoin McGrath started one (1) game against Galway, and was substituted. Yet on the basis of a few puckabouts, he's now in? Davy has thrown a Hail Mary with Spanky. Maybe it'll work. I hope to God it does

No thanks I'll pass on that , I'll go and support the team ( both teams, and vociferously at that) as I've always done for the last 30 years or more , but people like me won't be talked down to, by people like you for expressing valid concerns regarding baffling team selections . And by the way I stayed seated for all 70 minutes ,as did all the genuine Deise fans during the horrorfest '08 final .

My remarks were not directed and were not intended to be directed at people expressing surprise at team selections. They were aimed at people who are saying 'we have no chance, we're going to get slaughtered' etc as if Sunday is simply a foregone conclusion. I apologise if people who were simply questioning the team selection were offended by my remarks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Doz has a point in fairness lads. Nothing wrong with being worried about the team selection and our chances of winning but the attitude here mainly consists of "our half forward line can't win aerial ball, Tipp are invincible and will score at least 5 goals and they are going to fcuking destroy us". I've never seen this much pessimism from so many of our supporters.

If everybody that thought we would probably lose stayed at home on Sunday, there would be about 300 Waterford fans there to support the team.

I never suggested that everybody who thought we would lose should stay at home. My remarks were directed at a minority here who are showing absolutely no faith, pride or confidence in their county. I don't expect us to win on Sunday but I will go down there and support the lads as I do at every game knowing that they will give everything they have to make their supporters proud.

deiseach wrote: »
    You base your team on performances in the League. By my reckoning Eoin McGrath started one (1) game against Galway, and was substituted. Yet on the basis of a few puckabouts, he's now in? Davy has thrown a Hail Mary with Spanky. Maybe it'll work. I hope to God it does

I would love nothing better than have to come on here Monday morning and eat humble pie 'cos Eoin Mc Grath cleaned his man out or Jerome Maher had a stormer (wherever he actually played) , but I'm sorry I just can't see it . There are always those in a team who are " flying at training" and any of us that are involved with training teams know what I mean , but there are also the lads who may not put 100% into their training but when it comes to the white heat of battle they're the ones you want alongside you in the trenches . Please God I'll have egg on my face come Monday................

• Advertisement

Doz has a point in fairness lads. Nothing wrong with being worried about the team selection and our chances of winning but the attitude here mainly consists of "our half forward line can't win aerial ball, Tipp are invincible and will score at least 5 goals and they are going to fcuking destroy us". I've never seen this much pessimism from so many of our supporters.

Ask yourself was there as much pessimism before Fitzy announced his team last night ? Short answer .....no ...that's the point . I would have given us a serious chance before the team selection , but now ? Sorry to say no . :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement