Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2009-2011

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Deise Tom wrote: »
    Always worth a gamble when the bookies are putting them down. Tommy Pender and Shane Briggs are two big losses.

You sure Briggs is missing?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

You sure Briggs is missing?

It is reported with a few weeks that he will, not around for the summer or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,520 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

V good Tony Browne article from todays Indo

http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling/flame-burns-bright-as-ever-for-browne-2813665.html
    Flame burns bright as ever for Browne

"IS there any point in asking you if this is your last year?" Tony Browne was asked wearily in an interview last week.

There wasn't, as it happened, despite the fact that he's the longest serving inter-county player in either code. Twenty years on the go for Waterford means he's spent more than half his time on this earth hurling at the top level.

Even the shock return of Graham Geraghty changed nothing. The Meath man is slightly older but didn't make his championship debut until 1993, 12 months after Browne.

Browne's contemporaries are gone, some to the press box, others to junior with the club. Only Tipperary goalkeeper Brendan Cummins, who made his bow in 1995, comes close.

You have to go to '98 to find an outfield player who is still on the go, though Kilkenny's Michael Kavanagh has been confined to a cameo from the bench against Wexford so far this year while Browne is still central to Davy Fitzgerald's plans.

In football, Kildare's Anthony Rainbow was the last of them and he slipped off last winter.

Others like Dublin manager Pat Gilroy and GPA chief executive Dessie Farrell, who both made their debuts that same summer, have long since departed. Eamonn O'Hara, who began his championship career in '94, is the longest-serving footballer still active -- he started both Sligo's championship games this summer. Browne turned 38 last week.

Next on the list are Tyrone's Brian Dooher, and Ciaran McManus from Offaly. But the fact they made their bows in '96, a full four years after Browne, underlines the enormity of the Waterford man's achievement.

"Seeing the likes of Graham coming back, we're probably inclined to think players are finished when they hit the 30 or 31 mark but I don't think that's true. There are a certain few who can push on and do it," Browne said.

"There are more in the game retiring at 31 or 32 who could possibly go on for a few years.

"At the same time, with the talent coming through and managers constantly looking to find someone new, it's hard to stay in there.

"Even Sean Og (O hAilpin) there this year, had Sean something to offer Cork? I think he probably had. But managers are there to do a job, and if they don't want you, they don't want you."

Browne has always been wanted. On Sunday against Tipperary, Waterford will contest a Munster final for the sixth year in his career (eighth final in all including replays) and in this fixture 12 months ago, he was superb.

Defying his age, he played every minute of both the drawn game and the replay against Cork, which went to extra-time in Semple Stadium. Browne wasn't just surviving, though. He was first on to the rebound from Eoin Kelly's free to bag the goal that forced additional time and, right at the death, he was on his own goal-line, in the right place to stop Cathal Naughton's shot with his head.

In his own words, he doesn't know how he got "reeled into it this year" but a chance encounter with Ken McGrath in the gym sparked something.

"He was saying 'Look, I'm going to give it one more shot. What are you going to do?' and I went home and thought about it.

"I met him then a couple of nights later and he said 'I'm going to give it a right shot this year'. I said 'Right, I'll join you so, whether I'm on for 40 minutes or 70 minutes or whatever'. But unfortunately he bailed out on me then!"

And did he try to get McGrath to reconsider his decision to retire during the league?

"For the first time, I didn't. He's one of my best mates and we play for the same club, but usually I would talk to him and see what way he's feeling. This time I knew it was a little bit different.

"He suffered badly with injuries, he just couldn't go on. The cartilage in his knees was basically gone so it was a tough decision for him as well.

"He'd have been a great fella to have around, whether he could given 10 minutes or five or whatever. But I don't think people realise the extent of the damage."

Browne puts his own longevity down to a mixture of luck and preparation. Keeping with the pace at training is not an issue but it's the other aspects that make all the difference.

Stretching, pool sessions and diet are as important as the training sessions themselves for Browne. Drinking over the course of the season is also out.

"The way the game is gone in the modern day, that takes up most of my time," he said. "It's six days a week to be able to still compete at this kind of level. Whereas maybe the younger lads can do three or four sessions, mine is maybe six times a week."

While it's strange for Browne to look around the dressing-room and not see McGrath or Dan Shanahan, there's fearlessness in the young players he feeds off.

"Over the last few years, even though Waterford haven't won an All-Ireland, we've participated in some big games," he said.

"They are well used to going to these games and seeing what they are all about. Looking at some of them the way they train and before matches, there is no fear with them whatsoever. They just take it in their stride and it's a good thing to see."

This will be his tenth munster final (including replays), not eighth;

1998 (and Replay)
    2010(and Replay)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

Paddy Power betting for Sunday

Tipp 1/5 Waterford 4/1. Their basically saying were big outsiders... worth a punt I reckon

The minors Clare 2/5 Waterford 7/4. Clare are favourites to win the AI outright to be fair so that sounds about right

Im going to do a double... shur what the heck if dont back ur own county where would u be at

• Advertisement

Paddy Power betting for Sunday

Tipp 1/5 Waterford 4/1. Their basically saying were big outsiders... worth a punt I reckon

The minors Clare 2/5 Waterford 7/4. Clare are favourites to win the AI outright to be fair so that sounds about right

Im going to do a double... shur what the heck if dont back ur own county where would u be at

So are Tipp

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

O Loughlin has stepped down as Clare manager. Wonder who will manage the clare hurlers next year?

alllcounty wrote: »
    O Loughlin has stepped down as Clare manager. Wonder who will manage the clare hurlers next year?

http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/clare-senior-hurling-manager-resigns-511829.html

alllcounty wrote: »

If ur implying (hoping) that Davy Fitz is going to leave Waterford for the Clare job... i wouldnt get my hopes up

Inspite of their recent progress at underage level, the Clare senior hurling team has never been at a lower ebb. Davy has been dealt a much better deck in his current role... theres no way hed pack in a job with one of the big championship contenders to go back to coaching in division 2 with a team that just hasnt got the quality and wont have for a few years yet.

I dont buy into the theory that Davy is just using Waterford to learn his managerial trade for when all these underage youngsters come through in Clare and he will have an AI winning team in waiting for him to manage. Davy is waterford manager because we were the first ones to give him a break... he loves the job and genuinely feel he wouldnt want any other job at the moment. true if his contract wasnt renewed at the end of this season and the Clare job was available hed probably take it and probably will manage his native county at some stage down the line but I believe Davy is our manager for as long as the county board will have him.

If ur implying (hoping) that Davy Fitz is going to leave Waterford for the Clare job... i wouldnt get my hopes up

Inspite of their recent progress at underage level, the Clare senior hurling team has never been at a lower ebb. Davy has been dealt a much better deck in his current role... theres no way hed pack in a job with one of the big championship contenders to go back to coaching in division 2 with a team that just hasnt got the quality and wont have for a few years yet.

Sorry that is not true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Sorry that is not true.

Quite right, its not even close to been true.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,732 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Thinking of doing a bet for the two games. Dont see much Minors are we worth a bet at 2/1. Want to do something for the games, also considering over 47.5 points in the game at 5/6 or Shane Walsh anytime for a goal 13/8. I know this is not the gambling forum, so sorry if i shouldnt ask here just wondering peoples opinions who watch Waterford.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Thinking of doing a bet for the two games. Dont see much Minors are we worth a bet at 2/1. Want to do something for the games, also considering over 47.5 points in the game at 5/6 or Shane Walsh anytime for a goal 13/8. I know this is not the gambling forum, so sorry if i shouldnt ask here just wondering peoples opinions who watch Waterford.

If Waterford score a goal he's as likely as anyone else to score it. Sounds like a decent one to me.

Quite right, its not even close to been true.

Ok well more like the past 20 years then Im on about the current era, I dont remember them in the 70s and 80s although they were renowned for being a hardy side. But the last 2 seasons are the poorest Ive seen a Clare team perform in league and championship

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

Clare didn't have the best year at senior level but their future look's extremely bright, its only natural for the Clare fans to feel a little let down, if Tipp give us a beating next Sunday I'm sure you will read some very interesting posts condemning everyone down to the waterboys but I hope that won't be the case.I have spoken to Waterford people who think we haven't a chance in both of the games I just don't understand that way of thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

any idea when the team will be named for sunday ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭deisedude

I dont buy into the theory that Davy is just using Waterford to learn his managerial trade for when all these underage youngsters come through in Clare and he will have an AI winning team in waiting for him to manage. Davy is waterford manager because we were the first ones to give him a break... he loves the job and genuinely feel he wouldnt want any other job at the moment. true if his contract wasnt renewed at the end of this season and the Clare job was available hed probably take it and probably will manage his native county at some stage down the line but I believe Davy is our manager for as long as the county board will have him.

Its definately Davys last year with Wateford, if he doesnt go he will be pushed because the county board cant afford him anymore. Whether Clare will take him i dont know, a lot of Clare people really dont want him

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭deisedude

Hslaw wrote: »
    any idea when the team will be named for sunday ?

Should be tonight, its normally Thursday night before the game

Nuts102 wrote: »

I think goals will be hard to come by on sunday. If Cummins is on form, the chances of something passing him is slim.

10 euro Waterford treble (footballers, senior and minor hurlers) this weekend returns 341 blips.

Gogogogo

• Advertisement

Ok well more like the past 20 years then Im on about the current era, I dont remember them in the 70s and 80s although they were renowned for being a hardy side. But the last 2 seasons are the poorest Ive seen a Clare team perform in league and championship

in there defence, with the past three or four years there isnt too many teams that you could say that you are happy with except Tipp and Kilkenny with Waterford and maybe Dublin behind them. CLare, Limerick, COrk, Wexford, Offaly, Galway, Antrim have slipped back a bit in recent years. Carlow have improved a little i guess while Laois slipped almost off the map.

Division two hurling is not helping some of these teams and it wont in the long term. The so called stronger counties in division two have to get back to playing the stronger counties on a more regular basis. MAybe the way to do this is to have a ten or 12 team division one in the league - all one group. I know for a while some of the counties might get a beating ot two for a while in such a division, but in the long term it should work out as the players improve getting experience playing the better teams and also it should be good for the game in the long term.

The only draw back of such a big division is that the championship might have to go back to be straight knockout but so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Team named:

Hennessy
    Fives
    J Maher
    Connors
    Browne
    Brick
    Moran
    Molumphy
    Foley
    E McGrath
    SOS
    Mahony
    Mullane
    Walsh
    B O Sullivan

Thoughts?

Definitely going to be changes there and it already looks like Brick full back, Maher to the corner and Fives to the wing. Browne may not start I've heard. E McGrath flying in training by all accounts what I've been hearing all week and that's why he's included.

*sigh*

H'on the DEISE

Odd

Brick to start at FB then it seems, with Maher and Connors in the corners. Tony, Moran and Fives in half backs.

Eoin McGrath? Seems very bizarre tbh, didnt impress in any of his league appearances that I remember. Hadnt heard that he was flying in training, but from what I read here and elsewhere both Kelly and Seamus did well in the challange games and thought they'd more likely replace Maurice if anyone. Perhaps its about getting a small quick guy on to win some frees?

Fingers crossed its some masterplan that's been cooked up. Dunno though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Cake Man wrote: »
    Team named:

Hennessy
    Fives
    J Maher
    Connors
    Browne
    Brick
    Moran
    Molumphy
    Foley
    E McGrath
    SOS
    Mahony
    Mullane
    Walsh
    B O Sullivan

*Gulp*

So then, Galway in that 1/4 final.....:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭doz

Hard to see anything other than Brick at FB with that lineup. If so, we need a big game from whoever is playing at CB, presumably Moran. Where have the reports of Tony not starting come from? This is the sort of game that will bring the best out of him and we would be seriously short of battle hardened experience in the half backline without him. Bit surprised to see Jerome Maher going in, presumably in the corner. Thought Jamie Nagle would slot in at half back. Happy to see Eoin McGrath back in. Davy has always selected the team based on training and not reputation, so these are the best 15 we have on current form.
    Obviously Tipp are expected to win but I'm confident we'll turn in a good display and really looking forward to the game. Odds on a Deise treble, football, minor and senior? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

flahavaj wrote: »
    *Gulp*
    You gotta speculate to accumulate, eh? :eek:

doz wrote: »
    Hard to see anything other than Brick at FB with that lineup. If so, we need a big game from whoever is playing at CB, presumably Moran. Where have the reports of Tony not starting come from? This is the sort of game that will bring the best out of him and we would be seriously short of battle hardened experience in the half backline without him. Bit surprised to see Jerome Maher going in, presumably in the corner. Thought Jamie Nagle would slot in at half back. Happy to see Eoin McGrath back in. Davy has always selected the team based on training and not reputation, so these are the best 15 we have on current form.
    Obviously Tipp are expected to win but I'm confident we'll turn in a good display and really looking forward to the game. Odds on a Deise treble, football, minor and senior? :)

a tad over 33/1

• Advertisement

What the f*ck was the point in naming Maher at full back. This sort of sh*t makes me mad :mad: The whole country knows Brick will be full back. Does he think this is tactical ability on his part? He should focus more on having a plan rather than trying to throw off the opposition.

Jerome Maher...what is this about? I mean ok, maybe he's doing well in training and maybe he'll be a good player in the future, but he's never played a championship game...wasn't even good enough to come on the last day...behind Jamie Nagle....:confused: I'd love to know what sort of conversation was had with the selectors ''Hey lads, I've just had a brilliant idea...''

If we pull this off, I think will tell everyone that this team is special and that despite the hinderance of a manager who is out of his depth we have performed well over the past few years.

Eoin McGrath like...:(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement