Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

PAULWATSON wrote: »
    Just interested, what sort of welcome does a GAA lovin', cuts the turf type of fella get in Garnerville?

I would assume you would be warmly welcomed unless you insist on playing GAA during classroom studies lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭wanadrum

I don't really know as I have not had the chance to go to GV, but I assume it would be the same welcome as anyone else........

Small query once again for anybody who might know about it...

Was talking to a police officer tonight and I mentioned that I had been applying to no avail for the past few years and that I was now really thinking about trying my luck over the water with the CNC or the CSP or whatever I can really in the meantime. He said that if I was thinking of going about it that way (getting in elsewhere in the hope that they might open up transferring from another force again when 50/50 eventually does go, or to just get in somewhere fullstop!) that I should only be looking at the Met and the AGS as they are the only 2 that you can transfer directly to the PSNI from.
    Now I'm presuming he's thinking non 50/50 times as it's not possible to transfer from another force at all while 50/50 is in place, but was that ever the case pre 50/50 that those were the only 2 you could transfer from??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,683 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

You can't transfer from the PSNI into AGS. You have to start all over again. You can do a secondment alright, but not permanently.

psni wrote: »
    You can't transfer from the PSNI into AGS. You have to start all over again. You can do a secondment alright, but not permanently.

Take it it's the same both ways then? He did mention they had an AGS fella working with them at the minute so maybe that's what he was meaning...
    Any idea if it's correct about transfering from any other forces? I've been googling the bit out but any sort of info on this seems while hard to come by!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,683 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

You can't. There's no agreement in place for transfers in either direction. No matter which way you transfer, you start from scratch.

Take it it's the same both ways then? He did mention they had an AGS fella working with them at the minute so maybe that's what he was meaning...
    Any idea if it's correct about transfering from any other forces? I've been googling the bit out but any sort of info on this seems while hard to come by!

As far as I know you can only transfer between forces in England and Wales, and possibly Strathclyde. Don't think you can transfer from S, E&W to NI.

Pah! Damn PSNI and its impenetrableness :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 lauralush04

Anyone got a pass last year July and still no sign of vetting forms etc???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

Did you get a wait until March letter?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭weepete

Did my AC in may pass letter ( from deloitte) 2 days later still no vetting forms for me either your not alone chick

weepete wrote: »
    Did my AC in may pass letter ( from deloitte) 2 days later still no vetting forms for me either your not alone chick

i sent them a wee email there so just waiting to see if they respond!!! at least we dont have a dear John letter so we are still in the game :)

Gee-22 wrote: »
    Did you get a wait until March letter?

i got a letter in November saying sorry they could not let me know what was happening and saying about the 50/50 thing and thanks for my patience, but that was it!!! nothing since!!!

i got a letter in November saying sorry they could not let me know what was happening and saying about the 50/50 thing and thanks for my patience, but that was it!!! nothing since!!!

That sounds like the "wait till March" letter.

People who recieved it have not been given vetting forms etc.

They are are waiting on official word in relation to future recruitment (50/50, budgets etc), which should become clearer over the next 3 weeks or so.

That sounds like the "wait till March" letter.

People who recieved it have not been given vetting forms etc.

They are are waiting on official word in relation to future recruitment (50/50, budgets etc), which should become clearer over the next 3 weeks or so.

ok thanks for the info!!! at least i know im still in there :)

Just out of interest what was your AC score if you know off hand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ElizaB

When recruitment is open it is possible to apply to transfer from any UK service. Transferees start at week 1 in G'ville and complete shorter training, then take the exams and pass out with the squad graduating at that time. They then go on to do the same ODP training as the squad they pass out with (ie a further 10 weeks training following attestation).

ElizaB wrote: »
    When recruitment is open it is possible to apply to transfer from any UK service. Transferees start at week 1 in G'ville and complete shorter training, then take the exams and pass out with the squad graduating at that time. They then go on to do the same ODP training as the squad they pass out with (ie a further 10 weeks training following attestation).

Aye i remember seeing something about being able to transfer from another force when i applied but i think the applicant still has to jump through the same hoops as us i.e. IST, AC, vetting and medical, they just have a shorter training program as you have outlined above. Whereas in the mainland you don't need to retrain if you move forces, but i guess our SOP's (standard operating procedures) differ alot from mainland forces i.e. Firearms, riot training and anti terror tactics. So in short they dont "transfer" as such just have a better chance of passing training as they should know most of the stuff required.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭gigity gigity

Any thoughts on there being a 2012 campaign? If I knew there would recruitment then a year wait to get the ball rolling again wouldnt be so bad!

• Advertisement

I know a few people who could fill that void

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Dietcoke1

No great loss!

Dietcoke1 wrote: »
    No great loss!

In your opinion...

Dietcoke1 wrote: »
    No great loss!

How can you say that? These officers were trained to deal with terrorists, something which is still affecting NI's police officers today, the new recruits in Garnerville have not got that experience of working in a society which terrorists can move about in without detection. Look what happened a few months ago, three officers standing in a group were almost all killed by a terrorist on a bicycle. I have seen it where I lived, officers not wearing body armour standing in groups of four or five chatting and joking with each other, not a single officer keeping an eye on their surroundings making sure there was no danger. Some of those full time reserve should have been given jobs on Garnerville to help train the youngsters how to stay alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 wannabecop

i recieved the wait till march letter along with full vetting and medical all completed !!!

wannabecop wrote: »
    i recieved the wait till march letter along with full vetting and medical all completed !!!

What are your stats buddy?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Dietcoke1

Goonerdee wrote: »
    How can you say that? These officers were trained to deal with terrorists, something which is still affecting NI's police officers today, the new recruits in Garnerville have not got that experience of working in a society which terrorists can move about in without detection. Look what happened a few months ago, three officers standing in a group were almost all killed by a terrorist on a bicycle. I have seen it where I lived, officers not wearing body armour standing in groups of four or five chatting and joking with each other, not a single officer keeping an eye on their surroundings making sure there was no danger. Some of those full time reserve should have been given jobs on Garnerville to help train the youngsters how to stay alive.

I can say that as I have the experience of working with these men.

I am not sure if you are aware but alot of these men were not operational and performed station security, so please tell me how was their "experience" a benefit to anyone???? Well paid security guards!!!

The issue of the FTR has become political and as a result their value to the organisation has been way over rated by certain people.

Another sad day in this countrys stark history, i'm sure i speak for everyone when i say our thoughts are with that young officers family.

To all serving, training and hopefull PCs out there, heads up, be safe and the best of luck.

Weepete

Do you think any further intakes from C16 was discussed at Thursday's police board meeting?*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-12995795

Good to see folks not being scared off joining.

Advertisement