Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renouncing Irish Citizenship

Options
  • 06-02-2011 7:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭

I was forced abroad to the UK in 2001, after the LC, for 4 years, then in Ireland for 3 years (the most miserable 3 years of my life), and then to Spain for 3 years, where I am now.

The government agencies I work for here in Spain sped up my application for Spanish citizenship a few months ago, as I have provided them with solid, constant work for the past 3 years.

I now hold a Spanish passport and have no reason to renew my Irish one (expired 2010).

I seriously want to denouce my Irish Citizenship.

I do not want my children to know that their father is from Ireland, and have to deal with all the negative conotations that go with it.

I know the process, but I'm asking for advice on this. Has anyone done this before, and are other Irish emmigrants doing this?

I want to go right ahead and do it, but my parents, siblings and friends are going nuts over my decision.

I hate what Ireland has become and I don't want to be part of it. I want out. I don't want to be Irish. Why is that bad? :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Go do it then. Why would you ask the opinion of us Irish people?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

To be honest I don't want you to be Irish ether.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Piss off so, we dont want you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

what's the process?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Doc wrote: »
    To be hoist I don't want you to be Irish ether.
    jaysus don't be hoist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

yep , cause us evil irish have done horrible things to the world. unlike the spanish.

Pretty big step.. Go for it though, honestly. You have an EU passport so it affects nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭GizAGoOfYerGee

seanybiker wrote: »
    Go do it then. Why would you ask the opinion of us Irish people?

I'm pretty certain I don't want to be Irish anymore, but family and friends are telling me not to do anything.

I know that several Irish people living in the US in 2010 have denounced Irish citizenship, which means they can live permantantly in the US if they have fulltime work.

Sound good to me.

Calling any emmigrants on Boards.ie that have denouced Irish citizenship?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Can't say I am surprised. At this point, we would probably have been better off as part of the uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Is this an inquisition?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 JohnDoeOh

Sounds like you've already begun the denouncing.

I think you may want to renounce your citizenship however.

JohnDoeOh wrote: »
    Sounds like you've already begun the denouncing.

I think you may want to renounce your citizenship however.

Jaysus, you're right!

Renounce - Refuse to recognize or abide by any longer.
    Denounce - Publicly declare to be wrong or evil.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renunciation_of_citizenship

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 JohnDoeOh

Jaysus, you're right!

Renounce - Refuse to recognize or abide by any longer.
    Denounce - Publicly declare to be wrong or evil.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renunciation_of_citizenship

Fancy that. Good luck to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,056 ✭✭✭✭Esel

banquo wrote: »
    Is this an inquisition?
    I didn't expect that....

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

No stew for you so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Irish Slaves for Europe

I do not want my children to know that their father is from Ireland, and have to deal with all the negative conotations that go with it.

So where are you going to tell your children you are from? Are you going to make up a fake history about yourself? Are you not going to allow any of your family members to meet your children? Are you going to put on a fake accent when you have kids?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I hate what Ireland has become and I don't want to be part of it. I want out. I don't want to be Irish. Why is that bad? :confused:

I couldn't care less what you want to be.

So where are you going to tell your children you are from?

Galicia.
    Are you going to put on a fake accent when you have kids?

Three years here now with lady. My accent is perfect. Spaniards think I'm from Spain.
    Are you not going to allow any of your family members to meet your children?

No, never. That has already been decided. My children will never visit Ireland. I don't want them to pick up British culture from me or Ireland. If they want to visit Ireland when they're 18, they can do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,939 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Don't forget to change your boards username, it's a dead giveaway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Irish Slaves for Europe

What about your name, are you going to change it?

No, never. That has already been decided. My children will never visit Ireland. I don't want them to pick up British culture from me or Ireland. If they want to visit Ireland when they're 18, they can do so.

Sure you may as well just keep them locked in your basement till their 18, you'll not have to worry then about them finding out about your dirty little secret that way.

• Advertisement

Sure you may as well just keep them locked in your basement till their 18, you'll not have to worry then about them finding out about your dirty little secret that way.

No need. The vast majority of people here think that Ireland is part of England. No joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭hsi

I seriously want to denouce my Irish Citizenship.

Man, your in the EU!... Makes no sense to renounce. Would be different if you were living in say US.

The Irish passport is very well received. As as far as I am aware there are no Negative Conotations with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,757 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I know that several Irish people living in the US in 2010 have denounced Irish citizenship, which means they can live permantantly in the US if they have fulltime work.

Sound good to me.
    But there is a fundamental difference. Those in the US did it to secure jobs. You want to do it because you appear to hate Ireland & everything Irish (apart from crude usernames).

You should close your account here & go ask this question on boardsio.es.

Adios!

I forgot to ask - How do you say "Troll" in spanish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

You hate Ireland and what it has become... Hmmm. Well I also lived in Spain, Salamanca. Know it well, have a masters in Spanish and also fluent. Like the country.

But I am Irish, my parents were Irish, in fact at home on the graveyard there are 300 hundred years of my family.

I find your thread annoying at the least, offensive at the best.. You seem to claim spain is in someway better than Ireland... Well I could tell you some stories. No least the horror stories of they public health clinics. Ireland maybe in a bad state, but many many more Spaniads are in a worse state.

I would never renounce my birthright. I was born in Ireland, and I will always be Irish. Ireland is a great country (and less corrupt than some of the regional governments in Spain).

I think you need to get you facts straight. Maybe you are one of the lucky people in spain to have a well paid job. Because last I looked (and from what my friends say) unemployment in Spain is a lot higher than Ireland. Basically if you have no job you are a lot worse off in spain than in Ireland.

So Paddy get off your high horse.

Hill Billy wrote: »
    I forgot to ask - How do you say "Troll" in spanish?

They say 'troll', same in universal internet lingo.

I am not a troll. I want to renounce my citizenship.

Rubbish my thread all you want. Now, who's the troll? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

Your troll powers are weak old man!

Renounce your citizenship then. But why rub it in the faces of Irish posters? If you hate Ireland so much why seek the opinions or validation of its citizens? I hope that you will be more content as a subject of the Spanish monarchy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭hsi

Galicia.

Three years here now with lady. My accent is perfect. Spaniards think I'm from Spain.

Well good luck. When I worked in spain many many families would have loved to send their children to Ireland to learn English (if they could afford it)

Being Irish is very well received in Spain (far more that being british).

The Culture in Ireland is very much our own and not british. Good knows what type of family you come from as you have little understanding of what ireland really is.

And its a lot better in many respects than spain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I don't know, nor will I ask, what happened to you in 2001 but, be careful that you are not blaming some traumatic experience on the entire country.

Ireland's going through the aftermath of a property bubble, so is Spain. I was living there recently and I would consider the situation on the ground in urban Spain to be as bad or worse. Unemployment is certainly way higher.

I'm not trying to diss Spain but, come on, it was a repressive dictatorship as recently as the 1970s and has a very dark past, civil war, various conflicts, ongoing tensions in the Basque Country and Navarra, recent involvement with US led wars, etc etc... nobody's perfect!

Incompetent Governments come and go, as do booms and busts.

Just think very carefully before chucking your citizenship. Also, think long and hard before disconnecting your kids from 50% of their heritage. People can react very badly to a fictional story about their past.

I've never noticed a bad attitude towards ireland in Spain, particularly up north! Tens of thousands of Spanish people live and have lived in Ireland too and have positive experiences of it.

I'm tempted to conclude that you're trolling but, I can't be sure.

Perhaps you might be better off talking to someone about what forced you to leave ireland than throwing your citizenship away?

Btw, your place of birth will always say Ireland, on your spanish documents too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement