Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin or bust...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Great job in what sounds like tough going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

The pressure was building all week as friends and colleagues (and boards posters) wished me well on Sunday. I was feeling nervous, excited, anxious, and totally doubting of my ability to complete this stupid thing I was signed up to do. WHY exactly did I ever say I'd do this?! :eek:

I was travelling with 3 other running nutters enthusiasts, and we got through that mammoth queue in Dublin airport security without incident, boarded the plane and landed in sunny Berlin on Friday morning. The butterflies were still there, but I was starting to feel a bit more positive. We checked in - all good! - and made our way to the expo to collect the race numbers and stuff. It's a great event, and we ended up spending about 3 hours browsing and sipping non-al beer outside in the sunshine :cool: A nice way to start the weekend.

Did a small warm-up run (about 2.5 miles) on Friday evening, just to wake up the legs. Ran from the hotel as far as the start/finish area and back, more to acclimatise ourselves with the location really.

Saturday was a bit of a lazy one and when the rain started in the afternoon we kinda knew the forecast was probably looking spot on. The temperature dropped from about 22c on Friday to 12c or so on Sunday. But the cooler temperatures were taken as a bonus - if the weather for the marathon was like Friday's, we'd all have been screwed!

Up early on Sunday and had the usual 'long run' breaky of porridge, juice and coffee with banana and bread on the side. Got the gear on, packed up the post-race change bag, and headed to the start area at about 7:45. We each went our own way - as a first timer I was in pen H, so I headed down the back as the boys all went to the 'faster people' pens.

I started right at the back of the crowd - I'd say there were only about 300 people behind me! - and by the time I got to the starting mats the gun clock has already passed the 25min mark! :eek:. I set off at a steady pace, I had a pace band for 04:30 (in Kms) but my plan was to keep the average pace below 10min/mi which should get me comfortably under that.

I wasn't running with anyone, but the crowds around me were great entertainment. I spent the entire race passing people (that's the problem with starting from the back!) but from about half way I kept seeing a few of the same people again and again. A group of girls from Denmark were keeping almost the same pace for the middle third of the race and they had fantastic support from the sidelines, which I got a bit of a kick from too :p. Use what you can, right?

The water stations were a bit of a mess... water in plastic cups for 40K+ people!? With all that debris, I inevitably slowed going through them. But at least drinking wasn't a problem, thanks to an inspired bit of advice from a friend. A simple thing like a straw stashed in my gel belt made all the difference! :D Brilliant.

I took 4 gels during the race, at 6, 12, 18 and 22, with jellies at 10, 15, 20 and 26.2+. And that last one was VERY tasty! I kept the pace more or less steady throughout, and the avg pace came in at 9:57. Mile 18 was the slowest at 10:29:o and mile 7 was fasted at 09:32(?)

Some stats from the marathon site:
    Chiptotal:|04:24:08
    Clocktotal:|04:48:52 (I started WAY back!)
    First half:|02:12:10
    Second half:|02:11:58 (negative split :cool:)
    Time per km:|06:15
    Speed:|9.59 km/h

And stats from the Garmin:
    Time:|04:24:07
    Distance:|26.53 mi
    Avg Pace:|09:57 min/mi
    Calories:|2,681 C

Happy out!
    Now I just have to get over the after affects - ouch my legs! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Yay! Well done!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

That's a great run - well done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Great run Emer and great report. I was refreshing the page like mad for your last few k! It must have been a fabulous feeling crossing the finish line!
    I thought when you started this log that we were at similar paces but you're streets ahead of me now... maybe I'll catch up with you next year :D!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Well done Emer.. Great report and performance

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Patdusty2010

Congrats Emer!!

The stairs in the U/S Bahn stations and the walk to Dublin arrivals were very tough as well:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Thrilled for you Emer, fantastic job and a great PB :D. I hope you enjoyed the celebrations.

Now is it time to twist your arm for Barca ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Well done Emer super performance, must remember the straw in the future - haven't used one since a bad experience with bendy ones and way too many Barcardi breezers many moons ago!

shazkea wrote: »
    Thrilled for you Emer, fantastic job and a great PB :D. I hope you enjoyed the celebrations.

Now is it time to twist your arm for Barca ;)

Thanks shazkea. Think it's WAY TOO early to start trying to cajole me into another marathon - the pain is all too real today! Nothing permanent, I know, but it's definitely being felt :P

Ask me again another time.... maybe.... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Treat yourself to a nice glass (or bottle) of red wine, you've earned it :)

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Well done Emer super performance, must remember the straw in the future - haven't used one since a bad experience with bendy ones and way too many Barcardi breezers many moons ago!

Hmm, sounds like there might be a good story there. ;)

Yeah, the straws were a brilliant idea. The main challenge was to keep hold on them. The OH went off with his too, tucked safely into his gel belt, but they were gone before he got to the first water station! oops! :rolleyes:
    I zipped mine into the pocket of my gel belt, and though they stuck out a bit, it worked well for me. I was perfectly well hydrated all the way around (and I guess the rain helped too!) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Congrats. Good to see one of ye getting a negative split.;);)

Congrats. Good to see one of ye getting a negative split.;);)

Ah sure I'm learning from ye pro's! :D
    Now if I could only run like ye...:rolleyes:

The plan for the week.
    Out of habit I though I'd stick in the plan for the coming week... Week 0 - The week after the marathon
    ...no point in getting sloppy at this stage. :rolleyes:

Monday | Rest
    Tuesday | Rest
    Wednesday | Rest
    Thursday |2 miles easy
    Friday | Swim
    Saturday | 2 miles or Rest (as dictated by the body!)
    Sunday | 1 hour / 6 miles easy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Well done Emer!
    Emer911 wrote: »
    The plan for the week.
    Out of habit I though I'd stick in the plan for the coming week... Week 0 - The week after the marathon
    ...no point in getting sloppy at this stage. :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPw-3e_pzqU

• Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭Peckham

Congrats again Emer, and great to meet you yesterday.

You're clearly hooked if you're already thinking about training again. I can't even think about running again!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭opus

Great run Emer, have you already starting thinking about the next one yet ;) Nice to have met you afterwards as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done Emer! Great achievement & great report (as usual) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

Congrats Emer! Fantastic report!

• Advertisement

Thanks shazkea. Think it's WAY TOO early to start trying to cajole me into another marathon - the pain is all too real today! Nothing permanent, I know, but it's definitely being felt :P

Ask me again another time.... maybe.... :rolleyes:

Hope the aches and pains are fading away and you're enjoying the rest. Yup will be back to hassle you again for a certain sign-up :P

Do have a question for you now you're an experienced marathoner :D - was marathon marked in km and how did you find it swapping from miles. Barca is marked in km as far as I know and I train in miles (even the limited amount I'm doing now). Just wondering is it worth swapping over to km now and getting used to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Well done Emer. Great race from ya.

shazkea wrote: »
    Do have a question for you now you're an experienced marathoner :D - was marathon marked in km and how did you find it swapping from miles. Barca is marked in km as far as I know and I train in miles (even the limited amount I'm doing now). Just wondering is it worth swapping over to km now and getting used to it.

Good question Shazkea, I had some concerns about that myself.
    I ended up printing a pace band (2 actually:rolleyes:) in km's, but leaving my garmin in miles. I ran to the miles pace /time and just used the pace band when ever I saw a marker. It was more as a distraction than anything, really. I think it kept me busy for the last few miles which probably helped! :p

I think if I'd switched to km's on the watch, and saw my pace at 6:xx it'd have put me off my stride (I'm used to seeing 9:xx or 10:xx :D)

If you were running for a specific time, and the pace really mattered, then I guess it might be helpful to switch entirely to km's, but I'd suggest you stick with what you know?

...and for the record, I'm still nowhere NEAR being an 'experienced' marathon runner. One swallow does not a summer make!

Training log this week so far :cool:

Monday Rest
    Tuesday Rest
    Wednesday Rest

...that was fairly easy :D

Thursday 2 miles easy on the grass in the park.
    The legs were still a bit tired and heavy, but there's no blisters / soreness / issues lingering, so I'm happy with that.
    The run was fine. That's about all I can say about it. I was glad to be out there again, but it was a bit of a slog to get around (and it was just 2 miles!). The grass was nice and soft though, and the legs are definitely felling better every day.

Summary
    2.15 miles in 00:21:06
    Avg Pace: 09:50 min/mi

...I'll have to think about that log title now that I've got to Berlin without busting!:p
    Or maybe I'll leave it, as a memento of my first major running milestone?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

You should keep the log until you decide on your next target(s)

Good question Shazkea, I had some concerns about that myself.
    I ended up printing a pace band (2 actually:rolleyes:) in km's, but leaving my garmin in miles. I ran to the miles pace /time and just used the pace band when ever I saw a marker. It was more as a distraction than anything, really. I think it kept me busy for the last few miles which probably helped! :p

I think if I'd switched to km's on the watch, and saw my pace at 6:xx it'd have put me off my stride (I'm used to seeing 9:xx or 10:xx :D)

If you were running for a specific time, and the pace really mattered, then I guess it might be helpful to switch entirely to km's, but I'd suggest you stick with what you know?

...and for the record, I'm still nowhere NEAR being an 'experienced' marathon runner. One swallow does not a summer make!

Cheers for that and no my pace won't really matter...as long as I'm still moving I'd be happy!!
    If I moved to km I would be really confused. I think I only ever saw 6:xx on my garmin when it was in km - prob would drop in shock (or a heart attack) if I touched that when in miles!

As being experienced marathon runner - you've done a marathon in a really good time which is more than me. Therefore in my book you are an experienced marathoner!! Simples!

Went for a nice "loosen it up" swim on Friday evening with the family! Very chilled, but can't really be classed as exercise / cross training. Think I only got about 10 - 12 lengths of a 25 mt pool, which felt really short compared to Glenalbyn. The rest of the time was 'fun time' :D with the kids.

Today - LSR(?!)
    6 miles with a friend. We did the mine hill lane lane but turned back before the hill at the end of the road (yea I'm a wuss! :o) It was a lovely morning and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was great to be out there.
    It's really rare that I get to run with anyone so that was a welcome change and a fantastic distraction. I didn't feel the time go, and we were up and over the hills without even noticing. I'll definitely try to nab her for a long run again! :P

The legs felt great - no tiredness or niggles at all - so I think I'll do the HH follow-on program for the next few weeks until I set myself my next target.

Summary
    6 miles in 01:00:38
    Avg Pace: 10:03 min/mi

My marathon finishing treat for myself - bought a new pair of runners today. I'm an assics girl and got the new Nimbus 12's. They're pink! (I'm such a girlie sometimes:P)

I've decided to do Hals Post Marathon training guide for the next 4 weeks, which is a gradual build up and ends with a 5K or 10K race (around 31st October Anybody got any suggestions?)

Taining Plan for the week

Monday |Cross 30 min (Swim)
    Tuesday |3 m run
    Wednesday |Yoga
    Thursday |3 x 1 mile repeats (mar pace)
    Friday |Rest
    Saturday |Tempo 30 min
    Sunday| 45-75 min

I haven't really done (any) mile repeats before and I've only dabbled in the tempo thing, so this should be an interesting week... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Emer you're my new guru:). I've been reading back through your taper weeks to see what you did, what pmp miles etc :D

Advertisement