Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow / Ice Reports December 18th onwards.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭vsat

All,

Killbegs last week, which I recorded :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URqnuxfoSPo

Regards,

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Deer Hunter DL

roads were bad this morning early i left donegal town at 5am going to derry it was very very very very very cold it started to rain going through the gap but when it landed it was ice never seen that hapen before there were chuncks of ice on the wind screen instantly crazy stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Roads around Letterkenny and East Donegal are absolutely treacherous. Cars being abandoned everywhere. It rained today and froze over. Now raining again!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,827 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Same here in the twin towns. Dont drive people unless you really have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

St Johnston to Lifford road is a shocker tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

Raining with a little sleet here in Annagry for the last 3 or 4 hours. This was on top of ice. Took me 40 mins to do a 10 min drive from work. Roads were lethal. Temps has risen to between 3 and 4 degrees now from -1 at 6 o'clock but I'd say that it will drop again now that the rain has eased off somewhat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Been snowing here all night in the Roses, sticking on the roads. Ive just had a lift home at 4 in the morning and the roads were extremely bad as usual

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭inode

letterkenny is covered in more snow and its still snowing now :(

Nice dusting this morning in the Rosses/Gweedore but the drizzle is taking it away now.

some roads round donegal town this morning

Mountcharles rd out of donegal town

SDC13693.jpg
    SDC13694.jpg

mountchares bypass

SDC13696.jpg
    SDC13697.jpg
    SDC13698.jpg
    SDC13699.jpg

Ballydevit cross roads

SDC13703.jpg

Dummys bridge

SDC13704.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

Could not believe it this morning, 2 inches of snow on top of rain that froze over yesterday evening, another inch there about 9am. It is now worse than ever, whatever hope cars had on our road before, they have none now, 5 cars deserted beside us alone, 1 lad in it since 2am:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Donegal Town Bypass at 9.05am. It has snowed constantly since this picture was taken !!

n15q.jpg

Newsflash !! Road blocked near Dunkineely.. Avoid !! No way through

• Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

yep that was ballydevitt this morning, at least theres some traction on the snow (apart from having to go into 1st gear to not hit a guy with home made snow chains - made from that blue nylon rope sliding over the road at 2mph)
    god knows how i'll get up it tonight though

gritter just been through the town

According to news.. reported in weather forum Donegal ran out of grit ! They are waiting on supplies from Cork from that shipment that arrived yesterday:confused:

irish1967 wrote: »
    According to news.. reported in weather forum Donegal ran out of grit ! They are waiting on supplies from Cork from that shipment that arrived yesterday:confused:
    They were gritting in Gweedore at 8.45 this morning when I was going to work, usually it would be gritted much earlier in the morning..

probably be nexk week before it get here knowing this country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭b0bsquish

Roads were pretty icy around Inishowen, but no snow yet... snowed briefly around 9.30am

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Daniel O Donnel

In all fairness I dont think the council ran out of grit.
    They came close to running out but have now enough to last.

I think they have done a good job keeping the main roads open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

I thoght I remember watching a programme a few years back and it was about some mine up near Larne which was supplying GB for most of their grit.
    Surely, we could get some from there.

• Advertisement

shiibata wrote: »
    I thoght I remember watching a programme a few years back and it was about some mine up near Larne which was supplying GB for most of their grit.
    Surely, we could get some from there.

your spot on there you probably seen it on the BBC coasts progame its
    Carrickfergus Salt Mines

saw something on the news last week with a guy from donegalcoco saying they were waiting for grit shipment from carrickfergus

ahh ther you go
    The council receives salt from a supplier in Carrickfergus but has had to find a second source in Co. Limerick and an additional supplier in England as it competes with local authorities around the country for salt supplies.
    http://www.donegaldemocrat.ie/donegalnews/Salt-supplies-reach-critical-levels.5956602.jp

heard on ocean fm the ballydevit -dummys bridge rd is blocked ??

heard on ocean fm the ballydevit -dummys bridge rd is blocked ??

i'll find out on my way home tonight

not blocked now was out that way for a spin

heres a pic from the big hill out that road

SDC13708.jpg

going down

SDC13709.jpg

going up

SDC13712.jpg

altidoo

yep got up fine (i dont have to go up that far) someone gritted the forge hill

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Council seem to be gritting hills and junctions only around the Letterkenny area, was standing on the Ramelton road and seen 3 gritters go by in the space of an hour, nothing coming out the back of any of them.
    The Letterkenny to Stranorlar road hasn't been gritted bar Lurgybrack.
    Forecast says more snow late tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

Ironically the Govt put more of an emphasis on crisises such as foot and mouth and the Pork scare than this, even though its farming communities that in the main are suffering worse.

Interesting to note that a crisis as it is did not have any move or direction from Dail Eireann.

Estates in Letterkenny were part salted too late last week with no effect and leave them with serious potholes etc that will probably not even be rectified in the event of an election.

Secondary Roads (Co Council responsibility) are worse. I have heard of the NI Authorities starting to help out in border areas!

Maybe the Green Party can explain just what our Road Tax entitles us to considering we pay same as everyone else nationwide.

just what has to happen to have Green taxes pay for gritting - oh sorry this whole Global warming is our fault anyway! Tell it to the Chineese and Fcuk Off.

Tired paying for Global warming when I thought it was for local services and considering we pale compared to China, America and Russia I think we should default.

Global warming = Money Maker

there is no Global warming people its a natural phenomena the same thing happened thousands or years ago its the earths way of wiping the sheet clean of you like a new start all nice and clean, the world is slowly getting ready for another ice age and it would of happened with or with out pollution anyway, we might not see another ice age our children might not see it but its on its way and it can happen fast once it starts one ice age was documented on happening in under one year , who knows this might even be the start of it , this whole Global warming thing is another way to tax the life out of people its just a scam , same as the Y2k bug that was some laugh

• Advertisement

lorry in the ditch on the sharp bend before the dummy's bridge (should be moved by now various tractors pulling it out)
    donegalman1 - whats the green party got to do with it ?
    its your local councillors that set the budgets and "manage" all of this its those people you need to complain to - but lets be fair we dont have the equipment for 3 weeks of weather like this (i know i dont, if it happened every year i'd have winter tyres in the shed and snow chains in the car, if i bought snow tyres now theyd be perished by the next time this happens)

Advertisement