Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soccer Forum - Please dont close it

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Originally posted by AngelofFire
    my sig is satirical i despise the booing of rangers players at roi games.

Man u r crazy if you think anyone is going to read anything but what is spelt out in your sig. There is no such thing as tone on the Internet - your sig is a red rag for flaming

Hyzepher

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

less of the feuding, more of the re-opening.

delay the posts, charge access, punish muppets with death....i dont care!!

just re-open it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Those two accounts have been caught posting from the same IP in the past.

I have no problem with any proof of this being made public. My ISP is IOL as can be verified from the broadband forum where I've posted various meanderings !

Jank
    edit:i was threatend with a banning because i had no proof of the whole Minky situation(which i actually picked up from another mod), well the post below is news to me and prehaps i feel a bit vidicated
    anyway carry on

You may feel vindicated Jank , but that does not mean you are correct. If I recall you are one of the names in "the little black book" !

Tinky

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

If I recall you are one of the names in "the little black book" !

ahh yes the little black book of tinky it must be sooo mysterious and all like:rolleyes:

by the way i really like these chats of ours, makes me come back down to earth

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Just a comment on the idea of making the soccer forum private:
    I presume by private you mean that someone would PM the mod and then get access. Obviously any muppetry and they'd be banned. How would that work in reality? A lot of users join just to take part in the soccer forum. They'd have no history and nothing for the mods to judge their request for membership on.

If these new users are to be granted membership then what's the point. It seems to me to be just a complicated way of having pretty much a standard forum (not to mention the extra work for the mods). If they are not going to get membership then there is no possibility for them to discuss soccer on boards and as a result could alienate a lot of potential new members, who could make useful contributions to this and other fora.

Would it not be better to temp and perm ban users and ip addresses of users that are on the radar at the moment. Allow them back eventually and watch them like hawks to see if they are causing problems.

Removing the forum completely or making it private is just going to create more problems and more work for the admins imo. Also surely taking this step with soccer could set a precedent if problems crop up on other forums.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Imposter
    Just a comment on the idea of making the soccer forum private:
    I presume by private you mean that someone would PM the mod and then get access. Obviously any muppetry and theyed be banned. How would that work in reality? A lot of users join just to take part in the soccer forum. They'd have no history and nothing for the mods to judge their request for membership on.
    Fair enough point, but the important bit is the ability to exclude them if necessary.

ahh yes the little black book of tinky it must be sooo mysterious and all like :rolleyes:

Actually, I was referring to Gandalfs little black book. :rolleyes:
    The following named users are on a final warning. If they step out of line once more they will be banned from soccer permanently.

Jank
    Tinky
    The Muppet

Anyone else will get one warning and then they are gone as well. Any problems take it to the admins.

The crap stops here!!

Tinky

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Well done to Jank and Tinky for so eloquently displaying the reason why the Soccer Forum got closed in the first place. :rolleyes: Well Done Lads!!!!

B.

BaZmO I'm sorry that this sort of post manages to infiltrate the different forums on boards. You have to understand though that I'm being accused of something by another member, mod and admin and it appears I have absolutely no way to defend myself or prove them wrong.

Because of this, other members can come along and take swipes at me, make sweeping statements at my expense and play all righteous over me and they are considered the good guys.

Maybe there are those who think I should just accept my label and get on with it . . well I'm sorry, I can't do that !

I have sent the powers that be all my personal details in the hope they can put an end to this ridiculous accusation.

To be honest I thought this had been put to bed ages ago and things had returned to some form of civility, but I guess not.

As to the conditions for re-openeing the soccer forum, what about a team based forum where members state their team preference before being allocated a forum to post in. This should put a stop to the slagging matches that occur !

Blocking IP address can't work, the nature of the internet means that with dynamic addressing I could have an ip today at 1 o clock - log off at 1:15 and at 1:16 someone else could have that same address which could lead to 2 members being accused of being one person merely on the evidence of ip address.

Anyway please sort it out soon - - the Keane story must be discussed - - soon !!!

tinky

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Any word on when the forum may be reopened, it really is a pitty that the story that is on the front of almost ALL papers can't be discussed on Boards.

Come on guys lets try and sort something out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭lad12

Yeah re-open the forum :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

Lad12 your already banned from soccer, its people like you that had it closed down in the first place .

anywho.. word has it that decisions are/have been made and I dont think you soccerati will have to wait too long.

In the mean time visit the gaa forum and discuss all things GAA :D ... cept you lad12, your still banned I think ?

No i aint banned from the soccer Forum...I wasnt the first to be banned either..Its just all yee are against us Ranger's supporters

Anyways Who wants to talk about Gaa...Its the main news story that should be discussed..
    ..:cool:

Originally posted by lad12
    No i aint banned from the soccer Forum...I wasnt the first to be banned either..Its just all yee are against us Ranger's supporters

Anyways Who wants to talk about Gaa...Its the main news story that should be discussed..
    ..:cool:
    I believe Rangers fan's are more then welcome, you were banned for trolling.

I believe Rangers fan's are more then welcome, you were banned for trolling
    Yeah were

I don’t know the programming pros and cons for implementing my following suggestions for cutting down muppetry on forums, but would it be possible to work a 3 Strikes system by having a bar type thingy down beside where you have the “profile/likes-dislikes/search” buttons at the end of everybody’s posts.

It would prob consist of 3 little circles, each circle being lit up every time the poster is banned, and obviously when the poster gets banned 3 times he’s gone for good.

The Strikes don’t have to visible to everybody, just the Mods, to enable them to know when clowns like lad12 go from forum to forum flaming.
    Don’t know if this is possible or even any use but it’s just a suggestion.

B.

Thats already in place...

Originally posted by lad12
    Thats already in place...

What, people like you going from forum to forum flaming or the 3 strikes system? :D

and besides, how would you know about a 3 strikes system if you only registered in March? hmmmmmm........

B.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

I think the soccer mods and admins have come up with a system that will keep the muppets out ...stay tuned, you will hear about it soon enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Originally posted by Alany
    I think the soccer mods and admins have come up with a system that will keep the muppets out ...stay tuned, you will hear about it soon enough

Great.

It had better not be private

• Advertisement

Cause i've been Banned twice already...

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

The mods and admins have discussed this and have pretty much thrashed out a method that seems to cover everything. It will be a bit of work for the mods at first but to their credit they havent even mentioned that once.

The majority of posters will be allowed back, and its hoped in sufficent time to have a reasonable discussion of the Keane situation... ie:days rather then weeks but it will NOT happen before we're happy with the solution.

New users simply will not be allowed access for a period of time so the banned-resignup-banned again scenario just wont happen.

In order for people to "grandfather" in friends of theirs who they are willing to vouch for, you will be able to do that so that genuinely decent newbies who know someone who is already a respected member can be put forward (kinda like a golfclub). However, and this is the crux.... if you propose someone and they get banned... you get banned too. (I'm quite proud of that bit as I thought of it :) )
    So, you vouch for them, you are responsible for them, you go down with them :)

Gandalf is doing his usual sterling (and unthanked) job, bringing the rules together and sorting out lists of users etc. I'll leave the details to him to announce.

Its the mods choice when/if the forum is reopened. Be grateful you have mods willing to do the work.

Finally, two things:
    1. Tinky and Muppet are not the same person as far as I can determine. They know each other, they certainly back each other up and in my opinion they are both fair examples of homo-muppetis but they are not the same carbon blobs *as far as I can tell*.
    Personally I suspect that rather then being the same person they are two different people sharing half a brain each but thats just from what I've read of their posts.
    Oh and Jank, get off that cross someone needs the wood.

2. Roy Keane returning to the irish squad is NOT a top news story. Iraq melting into oblivion, palestine refusing the latest peace proposals, our taoiseach being called to testify in a tribunal... these are top news stories. Some bloke who's good at kicking an inflated sack about returning after a (possibly justified) temper tantrum to the national squad of a game doesnt quite rank up there. Some people seriously need to readjust their priorities.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Not that I care but...

What if John brings in Paddy to the football forum, and they're good mates. A year down the line, they're not so good mates and Paddy gets himself banned, is John screwed then? Or is there a limited time period of responsibilty?

Originally posted by DeVore
    2. Roy Keane returning to the irish squad is NOT a top news story. Iraq melting into oblivion, palestine refusing the latest peace proposals, our taoiseach being called to testify in a tribunal... these are top news stories. Some bloke who's good at kicking an inflated sack about returning after a (possibly justified) temper tantrum to the national squad of a game doesnt quite rank up there. Some people seriously need to readjust their priorities.

DeV.

Agreed DeV but it is on the front of every National Paper today including non-tabloid papers.

Glad to here this problem is being worked work, keep up the good work

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

However, and this is the crux.... if you propose someone and they get banned... you get banned too
    Good idea!

Is it possible for everyone to view the forum or is it private?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Genghis

Hurrah! Sounds like good news, deVore. Hopefully we can see a quality soccer discussion on here real soon. (And one on Keane even sooner)

LOL - your final point - 'most ironic comment ever'.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Which says a lot for our press in this country. We have an irish Watergate happening and instead we are getting Keanegate and Beckgate.

TV may be opium for the masses but Soccer is the heroin.

Regarding the mates falling out... if one is willing to stab himself in the heart to kill the other, fair enough. Anyway the usual commonsense will be applied to it and the rule will be enforced where the moderators think its justified I'm sure. Its to stop people just sponsoring the same muppet back in after he's banned. I have a good feeling about it anyway, I think it will work. There will also be other ways to get in (like a few months after being registered you will be able to simply PM the mods).

The mods are sorting this all out at the moment as quickly as possible... believe it or not they LIKE discussing football too and want the forum back but not as it was because it just wasnt worth it.

DeV.

Which says a lot for our press in this country. We have an irish Watergate happening and instead we are getting Keanegate and Beckgate.

I couldn't agree more but for some reason not many people on boards seem too concerned I opened this thread a while back http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=145302

It only has a couple of pages, as where if a keane thread was to open I'm sure it would have over 10 pages in a few hours.

Ah well:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Finally, two things:
    1. Tinky and Muppet are not the same person as far as I can determine. They know each other, they certainly back each other up and in my opinion they are both fair examples of homo-muppetis but they are not the same carbon blobs *as far as I can tell*.
    Personally I suspect that rather then being the same person they are two different people sharing half a brain each but thats just from what I've read of their posts.
    Oh and Jank, get off that cross someone needs the wood.

Thank You!! I think. That accusation and posts relating to it has caused a lot of grief on the Soccer forum. Hopefully that statment will put the issue to bed once and for all.

DeV.

It was top story in all the news I saw/heard/read yesterday/today.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Bungalow Bill

Closing the Soccer forum is one of the stupidest things I have ever seen on Boards.
    If people fight on it so the fock what!
    Its only a bloody internet forum, mods need to seriously cop on.
    Its one of the most popular boards and mods are being totally retarded on this one.

ecksor fears soccer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement