Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soccer Forum - Please dont close it

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

Well football is a sport correct?

I can't see the problem

maybe you can explain why it's a problem?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

The soccer forum was closed because the participants weren't behaving. Moving that misbehaviour to a different forum can only be an attempt to either undermine the moderator decision made on the Soccer forum or an attempt to get the Sports forum closed also.

It's this simple, Sports is also gandalf's patch and if the misbehaviour moves then he'll quite probably declare the same clampdown there that was in effect with the Soccer forum or worse, and I'll be backing him up on that 100% if he does.

Beyond that, I'm not prepared to discuss it. It's not up for debate. You have been warned.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Originally posted by ecksor
    The soccer forum was closed because the participants weren't behaving.

Because some participants were misbehaving.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Originally posted by therecklessone
    Because some participants were misbehaving.

Yes, poor choice of wording on my part there.

Moving that misbehaviour to a different forum

This is not my intention nor is it to undermine anyone.

I'm now discussing my sport of choice in another forum.

If my posts to 'Sports' are off topic which they won't be they'll get moved like any other forum surley?

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Chalm down, Chalm down!!

The moderatorship of the forum isnt the problem here, if the lads need more moderators they will get them and it will be pretty much their choice of who they would like to work with.

I'd like to think this is temporary but it really has been a pain in the admins ass as there are more people banned from Soccer then ALL THE OTHER FORUMS COMBINED.
    Someone needs to learn a lesson and a week or two without the forum might be just the time-out they need.

I'm not saying it will come back or that it wont be restricted in some way... personally I dont care much for the game (though my dad was a professional) so I'm ambivalent.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Leave the thing shut for a month then review the situation after that.

Originally posted by Emboss
    This is not my intention nor is it to undermine anyone.

I'm now discussing my sport of choice in another forum.

If my posts to 'Sports' are off topic which they won't be they'll get moved like any other forum surley?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&postid=1541800#post1541800

:eek:

if gandalf is not capable of modding the forum can we not just get someone who is?

i fail to see how closing the forum is the answer

part of being a football fan is giving the supporters of the "other" club a bit of stick...

it's harmless

i vote irish1 for mod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Originally posted by Emboss
    if gandalf is not capable of modding the forum can we not just get someone who is?

since when is this about Gandalf's modding ability?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Well he does seem to have thrown his hat at it judging by his post earlier in this thread...

Originally posted by Kaimera
    since when is this about Gandalf's modding ability?

Maybe he got the wrong end of the stick when he saw this:
    Originally posted by Gandalf
    Jesus I have had it with these idiots. Ecksor shut down the soccer forum if you want to because as far as I am concerned at the moment its not worth the hassle.

Gandalf. [/B]

It does suggest a certain level of end of tetherness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

but he is still capable of modding the forum. his ability to do so isn't in question here.

Originally posted by Kaimera
    but he is still capable of modding the forum. his ability to do so isn't in question here.

bad choice of words my bad.

if he has no intrest in modding it or finds it too much hassel then maybe we can offer it to someone else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭elbow316

Bring it back :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Originally posted by elbow316
    Bring it back :(

And the award for most Insightful argument goes to....!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Originally posted by crash_000
    And the award for most Insightful argument goes to....!

Whats the problem?

Get more mods. Ban the muppets. Open it

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Closing the forum down because the moderator has "had it with these idiots" is a terrible decison. People need to understand the passion and fervour surrounding the sport and the fact that sometimes these tensions spill over.

The solution to this isn't to shut the entire forum, but to ban offenders. If the moderator isn't able or willing to do this anymore, find someone who is, but please don't just shut down the forum on a whim.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Emboss I do not remember you making much of a contribution to the Soccer forum so I reckon your input here is an effort at stirring sh!te.

As for football supporters having a bit of banter thats no problem. The problem is when the arguement turns into a neverending slanging match addressed at each other personally.

We have warned people, banned people, put a severe regime in place and the sh!te still continues and when we ban people its "because of who they support" rather than the fact they broke the rules. We try to deal with everyone on the same level, ffs I even banned 3 mods recently!

I have modded soccer for quite a few years here and it has been on whole a pleasant experience except for the last few months. Its not nice to have people who have been valued contributors to that board pm you and say that they cannot post there any more because of the level of rubbish posted and I agree with them.

Gandalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by DeVore
    Someone needs to learn a lesson and a week or two without the forum might be just the time-out they need.
    A bit of rehab might do the lot of us a bit of good.:) I am bloody addicted to the soccer forum.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by gandalf
    Emboss I do not remember you making much of a contribution to the Soccer forum so I reckon your input here is an effort at stirring sh!te.

As for football supporters having a bit of banter thats no problem. The problem is when the arguement turns into a neverending slanging match addressed at each other personally.

We have warned people, banned people, put a severe regime in place and the sh!te still continues and when we ban people its "because of who they support" rather than the fact they broke the rules. We try to deal with everyone on the same level, ffs I even banned 3 mods recently!

I have modded soccer for quite a few years here and it has been on whole a pleasant experience except for the last few months. Its not nice to have people who have been valued contributors to that board pm you and say that they cannot post there any more because of the level of rubbish posted and I agree with them.

Gandalf.

I have no intrest in stirring ****e gandalf and have nothing against you or the way you mod the forum,

I didn't realise i had to spam the soccer forum all day to be annoyed at it's closure.

I was a regular reader and part time poster..

is that not enough?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

The funny thing is that it has ceased to be a SOCCER forum for a while now and is more similar to a playgrounf slagging competition on a daily basis. The fact is that it was impossible to have a civil debate about anything before the thread spirialed out of control with muppets going so far off topic that every thread seemed to be a mirror of the one before.

Every thread was about 5 pages long with 90% of the contributions countering each other beacuse someone said that Team A was ****e and Team B are the real champions - even if Team B haven't won anything in 10 years. The forum seemed to be more of a history lesson about what had happened in the past rather than what actually happened that weekend.

I think most members who remember the soccer forum as it was will welcome the closure and wait until a more stable and enjoyable method of talking soccer is created.

Hyzepher

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Emboss sorry if I hurt your feelings but based on your contribution to this thread and the one in soccer I felt you were taking the p!ss.

Gandalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Wonder what the cross postage between soccer and CS is like? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

you know the GAA forum is open ... come along ... talk about your local parish club or intercounty team.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,408 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

We're currently discussing whether or not to butter our cucumber sandwiches over on the Rugger forum at the moment - new opinions welcomed. Of course trolls will be rucked over with prejudice.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I have to say I was fairly shocked today when I got into to work, fired up the aul PC went to my Homepage (Boards.ie) and then straight to the Soccer forum and realised that it had been closed down, tbh I just thought it was a joke!!
    But it's hardly surprising when you consider the way some total fúckwits have been behaving lately!!

I only have access to the net in work and there is nothing more annoying than coming into work on a Monday morning after a weekend of football and logging onto the Soccer Forum only to be confronted by endless threads containing page after page after page of pure nonsense. I'd end up wasting a whole morning if I was to read through all the boll1x that's posted.

It's actually probably a good thing to close it down for a while to let everybody have a little think about the way that they've been behaving, although it is a bit of a pisser that it's happened just at the end of the season with a lot of big matches still to be played!!! Ah well!!! that's MUPPET TERRORISM for ya!!! :rolleyes:

B.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by gandalf

I have modded soccer for quite a few years here and it has been on whole a pleasant experience except for the last few months.

and then from devore
    I'd like to think this is temporary but it really has been a pain in the admins ass as there are more people banned from Soccer then ALL THE OTHER FORUMS COMBINED.

So lets get this straight. Soccer (and sports before it) used to be this great forum. It was fun and there was very little trouble.

Then in the space of approximatly 6 months or so, it turns into ground zero. More bans than all the other forums combined. So what changed?

It certainly wasnt gandalf or any of the other mods. The tolerance changed alright, but why?

Most of us know the answer.

The list of users has been posted up in threads before. These users are the root of the problem. I would imagine if you tracked most of the bans on soccer they are as a result of an altercation with those users. I know for a fact the pms saying ' i cba posting on soccer anymore' are directly related to those users.

There is no mystery here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Originally posted by Dustaz

The list of users has been posted up in threads before. These users are the root of the problem. I would imagine if you tracked most of the bans on soccer they are as a result of an altercation with those users. I know for a fact the pms saying ' i cba posting on soccer anymore' are directly related to those users.

There is no mystery here. [/B]

Anyone else confused by this rather cryptic comment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I think a lot of the muppetism on the soccer forum stems from the fact that it is the only places that they post on. So essentially they dont get the whole boards.ie community thing. If you look at any new user who posts in the soccer from the last 6 months they will tend to be assholes.

Just my observation

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement