Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

Car: 2.5T Subaru Forester
    Full License: 3 years
    NCD: 4 years
    Accidents/claims: None
    Named driver: Partner with own car, license over 10 years, 3 points
    Cover: Fully comp, breakdown, window, 3rd party driving other cars
    Renewal from Zurich: E1440 up from E950ish. I have moved house,wanted E1800 for new address
    New premium Alliance: E1130, this includes a discount for having another policy with them

AIB E1250
    AA E1533
    Liberty E1190
    25plus E1162
    123 E1163
    Aviva, AIG, FBD wouldn't quote

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

05 Mitsubishi grandids ,2.0d over 40 years accident free driving, quote 780

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Group 37 grandis thus far higher rate that other large MPVs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

cplwhisper wrote: »

What is this grouping you speak of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

When i tried doing a temporary transfer a few months back they were mentioning groups. Seems to be going towards the UK model here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭MarkN

Car: 2008 BMW 635
    Licence: Full Irish 15 years
    No claims: 12 years
    Named driver: Wife, 33, full licence, max no claims etc
    Cover: Comp with full bonus

2016 price: Renewal with Aviva : €1400 (got them down to 1150 or something)

Best quote : An Post €935 (if I drop to step back and 600 excess)

Just off the phone to Allianz and they "don't quote BMWs over 2.2" - joke shop.

I'm still not happy with 935 so I'll keep searching...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

The mind boggles.

I've a 1.6 litre mini cooper. 8 years no claims / full license. No penalty points. 33 years old. Cheapest I can get a renewal with aviva is 1000. Your car is far more powerful.

ya i know it doesnt make sense there's but probably a lot more people crashing minis than 7 series'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

ya i know it doesnt make sense there's but probably a lot more people crashing minis than 7 series'

Its not just that though.

Minis are very brittle structurally meaning if a mini is in a 50km crash the chances are passengers will suffer much worse injuries than passengers in a chunky saloon in a crash at the same speed.

Insurance company's use mapping systems have group listings from 1-50 like the UK market.
    group 1 start with cars like Toyota aygo to group 50 as high end prestige and performance sport cars.

100bhp car range group 14-30 depending on a range of factors.. freq of claim,cost of repairs, power to weight ratio and brands.

Jap imports cars and those that are normally modified ,but not always declared, also grouped higher than others.

Hybrid cars/Electic cars can be lower grouped than even the mid range cars

Insurance company's use mapping systems have group listings from 1-50 like the UK market.
    group 1 start with cars like Toyota aygo to group 50 as high end prestige and performance sport cars.

100bhp car range group 14-30 depending on a range of factors.. freq of claim,cost of repairs, power to weight ratio and brands.

Jap imports cars and those that are normally modified ,but not always declared, also grouped higher than others.

Can we see this grouping, like they can in the UK?

• Advertisement

Minis are very brittle structurally meaning if a mini is in a 50km crash the chances are passengers will suffer much worse injuries.

citation needed

MarkN wrote: »
    Just off the phone to Allianz and they "don't quote BMWs over 2.2" - joke shop.

hahaha but they will quote 2.5T subarus.... burrrrn.

Consistently inconsistent.

Can we see this grouping, like they can in the UK?

99% probably the same with few internal changes... parkers i think is the UK site

99% probably the same with few internal changes... parkers i think is the UK site

Honda civic 1.8 petrol grouping?

I'm especially interested in the "cars we insure even though likely to have undeclared mods so we rack up the grouping for everyone on this basis" cars!

Does a "no hap imports" rule trump "hybrids are less risky" rule?

What are the 1%? Citroën C5 HDIs?

Group 13 to 21 last times I checked. Pre'06 civics would flag higher groups.

A northern import (any brand) might be higher group than southern car but it's down to replacing cosmetics stuff like spotlamps etc in own damage claim

That's why when you buy a Passat ,a4 , Bmw , etc from U.K. Or north it costs more but ye all know the cars are better finished in spec.

Has this 'groups' not come up before on boards?

Higher the group, higher the criteria a driver needs to have- as in more earned NBC and higher age bracket .

Higher the group, higher the criteria a driver needs to have- as in more earned NBC and higher age bracket .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Car: Ford Kuga (120bhp)

NCD: Full

Licence: Full 8+ years, no points

Cover: Fully comp, NCB protected

Best quote: Quoted €1298 got same cover with AXA for €860

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

citation needed

If you need proof that a large saloon car is more structurally sound in the event of an accident than a mini there is even less hope for you than I initially thought tbh.

If you need proof that a large saloon car is more structurally sound in the event of an accident than a mini there is even less hope for you than I initially thought tbh.

Mini = "structurally brittle"

Were you just inaccurate in phrasing that as a standalone rather than a comparison to a 7 series?

Or are you standing by it as a standalone?

• Advertisement

They've come up with regard to the UK but none of the other guys here would make any answer at all on groups here.

The high performance "citron c5 hdi" still cracks me up. And the idea that a 2.5T subaru would be in a lower group than a 2.2+ BMW. I suspect that there are so many other factors and rules and brainwaves at play here that any groupings are completely overridden in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

I'm with No Nonsense so FBD essentially.

2006 VW Touraeg 3.0 SE
    Last year €375
    This year €831
    I knew it was going to go up but fcuk me that's some jump.
    Obviously I'll be shopping around.

To add to the woes a mate drives a new shape M3 in UK - fully comp with added extras etc for £620!

We're getting screwed massively here - it's disgusting to say the least.

Worse for me as I live in North Dundalk so very close to the border but not quite close enough!

The Guvnor wrote: »
    I'm with No Nonsense so FBD essentially.

Your post made me try them for a quote, put in my actual occupation - no quote available. Changed it to a financial role, quote given. Total bollocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

MarkN wrote: »
    Your post made me try them for a quote, put in my actual occupation - no quote available. Changed it to a financial role, quote given. Total bollocks.

No nonsense weren't offering new business when i tried for a quote 6 months ago.

It jumps to FBD for a quote when you go to their site.

KC161 wrote: »
    No nonsense weren't offering new business when i tried for a quote 6 months ago.

Yeah FBD have gone Total Nonsense now instead. 10year old car? Too old. 8 years old, get outta here ya scumbag!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

I've been with No Nonsense for a few years now - hence why it comes in still to me as No Nonsense.

I accept my €375 last year was good, previous year it was €345.

I was thinking maybe in and around the €600 mark this year - so the €831 seems like a mistake, if I've some spare time I'll call them up and suggest the made a typo on the page and surely it's €381! :D

I'll most likely use a broker and see what gives but I'm not holding my breath. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭RollYerOwn

This from a friend (used Dublinstiofan's template and amended it here):

Living in: Dublin
    Mileage: Less than 10k
    Car: 1.5l Diesel Megane (2005)
    NCD: Full
    Licence: Full 10+ years, no points
    Cover: TPFT,

Last year: €475
    Best quote: Quoted €600 (123.ie)
    Averaging over 8 quotes € 850 (most of the usual candidates around this figure)
    Worst Quote so far: €1675 (AIG)

Flipping flippety flip. I know the car is over 10 years but what the feck is the NCT for?

RollYerOwn wrote: »
    Flipping flippety flip. I know the car is over 10 years but what the feck is the NCT for?
    It's so insurers can give you a rough time / lower value for your car if something happens and you don't have one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

I'm 28 with 3 years no claims and full licence. Gothe my renewal quote from Bank of Ireland €1380. I tried everywhere, closest to that was €1600 with Liberty.

Car is 05 passat tdi. I'm not paying crazy money so I can drive through a checkpoint. I'll be quitting my job and going on the dole no messing.

Advertisement