Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deise Greenway. Cycle path. Waterford City to Dungarvan.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭cornerboy

vicwatson wrote: »
    Just hopefully owners will respect others in society and pick up their dogs dirt for the enjoyment and safety of all users
    What obout the cow **** where the cattle cross, disgraceful.......shouldnt the farmers be issued with bags and bins.

Went through the underpass at mcgraths cross for the first time today. Great job but care is needed especially on a bike as there is a steep decent to a sharp 90 degree narrow bend on approach from Dungarvan side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

cornerboy wrote: »
    What obout the cow **** where the cattle cross, disgraceful.......shouldnt the farmers be issued with bags and bins.

Didn't know cattle crossed anywhere? At the Dungarvan end they must have spent hundreds of thousands putting in underpasses for cattle.

my3cents wrote: »
    Didn't know cattle crossed anywhere? At the Dungarvan end they must have spent hundreds of thousands putting in underpasses for cattle.
    Yes there are several points where cattle cross over the track. Systems of gates are in place to halt traffic on the track while the animals cross. Havent heard anyone telling the farmers to pick up the cow****.

Yes there are several points where cattle cross over the track. Systems of gates are in place to halt traffic on the track while the animals cross. Havent heard anyone telling the farmers to pick up the cow****.

Just strange they put in underpasses for some and not others - the squeaky hinge gets the most oil.

• Advertisement

my3cents wrote: »
    Just strange they put in underpasses for some and not others - the squeaky hinge gets the most oil.

The places where the crossings are you couldnt imagine an underpass. The fields are at the same level as the track or one side might even be higher so an underpass would make little sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Buckets ans shovels, I tell you!

5Qt9BZx.jpg?1
    Somewhere between Union Cross (Kilmac) and Carrols Cross, June 2016

beazee wrote: »
    Buckets ans shovels, I tell you! ...

And some very wide mud guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Cows in nappies, I tells ya it's the only way....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Cows in nappies, I tells ya it's the only way....

Nah, don't be silly,
    Signs and massive bin bags will do the trick :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Oh behave:P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

They have this on the Mullingar to Athlone greenway, although there's probably less dairy cows there dung up the track.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭bullpost

They have this on the Mullingar to Athlone greenway, although there's probably less dairy cows there dung up the track.

Just promote it as a feature - free organic fertiliser :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

The Dungarvan to Kilmac section is open from tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Only in Ireland.....Went out to kilmac today thinking I could rent bike from one of the bike rental places, anyway, there is no shop there so you have to ring ahead to meet bike man and he will meet you with bikes....anyway when i asked a local where bike shop is, he said none you need to ring ahead or go to dungarvan,I said ****e, I will drive on to dungarvan, he then said...sure borrow my bike...how sound was he,I borrowed his bike for couple hours .enjoyed cycle, the route has loads of potential .

Only in Ireland too...he wouldn't take a few quid when I got back and we got into a small missus Doyle type situation me trying to give him cash and he refusing...I was eventually able to give him cash when I said give it to charity.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Max Powers wrote: »
    Only in Ireland.....Went out to kilmac today thinking I could rent bike from one of the bike rental places, anyway, there is no shop there so you have to ring ahead to meet bike man and he will meet you with bikes....anyway when i asked a local where bike shop is, he said none you need to ring ahead or go to dungarvan,I said ****e, I will drive on to dungarvan, he then said...sure borrow my bike...how sound was he,I borrowed his bike for couple hours .enjoyed cycle, the route has loads of potential .

Only in Ireland too...he wouldn't take a few quid when I got back and we got into a small missus Doyle type situation me trying to give him cash and he refusing...I was eventually able to give him cash when I said give it to charity.

That's brilliant, fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭minibear

Max Powers wrote: »

I saw on facebook that Waterford Greenway Bike Hire are opening a shop at The Union Workhouse, Kilmacthomas this Saturday September 24th.

What is the surface like? Is it suitable for a racer? The Mayo Greenway is really only suitable for hybrids and wider tyres so hopefully the Deise one will suit my narrower wheels.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Cycled about 10k of the route last weekend, loved it, especially the tunnel. Stonework on structures is great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Walked Durrow through the tunnel and out looking over the sea a few weeks back. Went to the Workhouse in Kilmacthomas yesterday and walked from there to beyond Kilmac and then back through the village, accessing the Greenway again via the entrance next to the Garda station.

It's a fine facility, and I'm looking forward to walking the whole thing, though I'll probably do it on three separate days. Also, we spoke to someone from Kilmac who said they'd never seen such a buzz around the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

inthehat wrote: »
    What is the surface like? Is it suitable for a racer? The Mayo Greenway is really only suitable for hybrids and wider tyres so hopefully the Deise one will suit my narrower wheels.

Cycled from kilmac to dungarvan on racer with narrow wheels. Tis grand.lot of stretches with tarmac rest is tarmac/chipped but all seemed fine to me for all types of bikes

• Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

fricatus wrote: »
    Walked Durrow through the tunnel and out looking over the sea a few weeks back. Went to the Workhouse in Kilmacthomas yesterday and walked from there to beyond Kilmac and then back through the village, accessing the Greenway again via the entrance next to the Garda station.

It's a fine facility, and I'm looking forward to walking the whole thing, though I'll probably do it on three separate days. Also, we spoke to someone from Kilmac who said they'd never seen such a buzz around the place.

There was like 15,000 per week using it during July/August and since it started to open not sure if it's starting to drop yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Am I missing something?, the Dungarvan to Kilmac section is officially open but there is still work going on.
    I was on it earlier from the viaduct to the new bridge and had to walk around dumpers, diggers and work men.

I was walking but people on bikes and also people with buggys and prams would have more difficulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

STIG83 wrote: »
    Am I missing something?
    **UPDATE**
    30 August 2016
    Waterford City & County Council is pleased to announce that a substantial section of the Waterford Greenway will open for use from the 23rd September 2016 between Dungarvan (Causeway) and Kilmacthomas (Workhouse).

Members of the public should be aware that, from time to time, minor construction works may need to be carried out on this section of the Greenway – however advance notice will be given on social media and on the Greenway website at www.visitwaterfordgreenway.com.
    https://www.facebook.com/WaterfordGreenway/posts/1660349810950122

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

This is only an opinion not bad mouthing the Greenway but I think the car park at McGrath's cross is in the wrong location, I would have put it behind the underpass, the patch of ground on the Mahonbridge side.
    I have already cycled from Durrow to the Scatore car park.
    Gonna do Durrow and go towards Kilmac next time.
    It's brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

The council are looking for peoples opinions on the proposed one way system from the quay to the greenway entrance

http://www.waterfordcouncil.ie/projects/public-consultations/index.htm

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

The council are looking for peoples opinions on the proposed one way system from the quay to the greenway entrance

http://www.waterfordcouncil.ie/projects/public-consultations/index.htm

If this is to go ahead it will cause major traffic delays in the evenings, I understand that they need to get the greenway into the city, but by making this one way, and especially is the direction that in my opinion has less traffic is madness. Also, they say it's a temporary measure dependant on how long it takes for development on the old Stanley site, why don't they just issue a compulsory purchase order on the section of land they need and do it properly from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭DaveSuarez

Is there anywhere to rent bikes for this in the city?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Waterford Blaa

Advertisement