Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deise Greenway. Cycle path. Waterford City to Dungarvan.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Cortecs wrote: »
    In fairness the horses wouldn't be using the tarmac. I'd imagine it's probably the area at the other side of the track.

What other area at the other side of the track exactly?
    I don't believe such an area exists along the entire greenway, have you even seen the entire greenway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Cabaal wrote: »
    What other area at the other side of the track exactly??
    The watery one. They call it Suir for some reason. :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

beazee wrote: »
    The watery one. They call it Suir for some reason. :)

I can see it now...

maxresdefault.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Hopefully the lycra brigade will have their bells installed and slow down for walkers or at least let them know they are coming.

14212799_1660944504223986_4125497829624237401_n.jpg?oh=05d71cfaaa8a10cd2240325a836cf2a5&oe=585085D0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Hopefully the lycra brigade will have their bells installed and slow down for walkers or at least let them know they are coming.

Where can I join this Lycra Brigade? I keep hearing about it, but there seems to be no recruitment literature available. Do they fight alongside the PC Brigade and the Sisters Brigade?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Chuchote wrote: »
    Where can I join this Lycra Brigade? I keep hearing about it, but there seems to be no recruitment literature available. Do they fight alongside the PC Brigade and the Sisters Brigade?

They meet once a month in the same place as the Sarcastic Sect, you had no problem joining them.....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

I've been on the Greenway Dungarvan / Durrow side a bit and seen plenty of the "lycra brigade" but none of them speeding. Probably like other cyclists, cycle away as fast as you want when nobody is around but slow down when close to walkers / joggers / children.

They meet once a month in the same place as the Sarcastic Sect, you had no problem joining them.....;)

Ah, I have them now, they're part of the army that fights the Darwinist Faction ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Are dogs banned? And is there a date set to open up the whole route? Thank you

vicwatson wrote: »
    Are dogs banned? And is there a date set to open up the whole route? Thank you

Why on earth would dogs be banned on a route for walks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Chuchote wrote:

Barred on mayo greenway, but not on deise greenway. This was discussed at public meeting

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Barred on mayo greenway, but not on deise greenway. This was discussed at public meeting

Mad Mayo decision!

Chuchote wrote:
    Mad Mayo decision!

Oh we'll see, I suspect it could be a good call, but I 'll give the people of Waterford a chance first. I believe bins will be installed along the greenway for such

Oh we'll see, I suspect it could be a good call, but I 'll give the people of Waterford a chance first. I believe bins will be installed along the greenway for such

The best strategy is often to move the poos to particular spots (chosen for distance dogs have to walk to them) at first. Once a spot is established in the minds and noses of dogs as a pooing-place, they'll nearly always use that. Then you can put the bins there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Was talking to a work colleague, they asked would toilets be installed along the Greenway?

STIG83 wrote:
    Was talking to a work colleague, they asked would toilets be installed along the Greenway?

Wasn't mentioned at the meeting but probably a good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Wasn't mentioned at the meeting but probably a good idea

Unnecessary at this time at least in my view, maintenance costs too high.let's see how things are in few years, there will be numerous villages with pubs, cafes etc along the route that could provide toilets, drinks etc.

Max Powers wrote:
    Unnecessary at this time at least in my view, maintenance costs too high.let's see how things are in few years, there will be numerous villages with pubs, cafes etc along the route that could provide toilets, drinks etc.

Fair point but there are some distances between some of these villages. I think the toilets on the barrow tow path at clashganny are a welcome relief, think some even have showers

Max Powers wrote: »

Crossing my legs now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Fair point but there are some distances between some of these villages. I think the toilets on the barrow tow path at clashganny are a welcome relief, think some even have showers[/quote

what green way that on? Wouldn't fancy shower in that :-)

• Advertisement

Max Powers wrote: »
    Fair point but there are some distances between some of these villages. I think the toilets on the barrow tow path at clashganny are a welcome relief, think some even have showers[/quote

what green way that on? Wouldn't fancy shower in that :-)

havent seen the showers but the toilets are quite nice. on the barrow way. fantastic walk

How is that enforced is there someone on the greenway 24hrs a day telling people with dogs to get off it?,even if they banned dogs on the Waterford one people would still use it myself included,lets not forget that this track has been used for years by walkers long before cyclists.

On another note i think toilets should be put in also,on two separate occasions i have seen human ****e on it,how do i know it was human?,whoever done it actually used tissue to wipe and just thrown it next to it!

How is that enforced is there someone on the greenway 24hrs a day telling people with dogs to get off it?,even if they banned dogs on the Waterford one people would still use it myself included,lets not forget that this track has been used for years by walkers long before cyclists.
    !

I think the issue is less about dogs just being on it and more likely to do with dogs being on it that are not on leads and where owners do not clean up the dog **** after the dog. Lets not forget that its an offense to not clean up after your dog and to have your dog under control in public.

Mad Mayo decision!

Dog ****e and children tend not to go hand in hand, not all dog owners are responsible ones that's why.

Need to be kept on a leash too if they are going to be allowed on the greenway, great decision in my opinion

I think the issue is less about dogs just being on it and more likely to do with dogs being on it that are not on leads and where owners do not clean up the dog **** after the dog. Lets not forget that its an offense to not clean up after your dog and to have your dog under control in public.

Im well aware of the law i walk the greenway everyday with my dog who is under my control at all times if he's on the lead or not,i rarely see people walking dogs off the lead anyway,and banning dogs off it just wouldnt work.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭deisegreenway

The greenway in Mayo is not publicly owned, it's owned by the farmers who allow the public to pass through but can (and have) closed sections whenever they want. This might well be the reason behind dogs being barred.

The Waterford Greenway is owned by the people of Ireland, dogs on leads will be very welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭cml387

I cycled the greenay from Clonea to where the works are underway a few weeks ago.
    It is the most remarkable achievement, the highlight being the recessed lighting in the Ballyvoile tunnel that is superbly done.

Kudos to Waterford county council.

The greenway in Mayo is not publicly owned, it's owned by the farmers who allow the public to pass through but can (and have) closed sections whenever they want. This might well be the reason behind dogs being barred.

The Waterford Greenway is owned by the people of Ireland, dogs on leads will be very welcome!

Just hopefully owners will respect others in society and pick up their dogs dirt for the enjoyment and safety of all users

Im well aware of the law i walk the greenway everyday with my dog who is under my control at all times if he's on the lead or not,i rarely see people walking dogs off the lead anyway,and banning dogs off it just wouldnt work.

But just how many bother to clean up? , it's a rare sight to see it

• Advertisement

But just how many bother to clean up? , it's a rare sight to see it

Fact, its rare to see people picking it up on the street never mind an amenity that will be relatively quiet and they can get away with it.

I think there should be a big emphasis on informing dog walkers of their responsibilities coupled with doggy bags and bins every so often, purely to keep the amenity healthy and safe for all users. Double on the spot fines to really knock it home.

Advertisement