Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deals On Sky TV Service - (Mostly Cancellation deals)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,876 ✭✭✭✭muffler

henke wrote: »
    Right I understand. Are these cards easy got?

We have multiroom Sky at home. One Sky+ HD box (black one) and in the other room an older Sky Digital box (white one, no plus no HD).

I was thinking of doing away with the multiroom and keep the Sky+ box for Sky package and use the other box for freesat and think the TV has saorview built in so just add an Aeriel for that.

Would something along them lines work?
    If you're keeping the Sky sub then you are sorted with regards to your main box..

The multiroom box may (if its old enough) pick up the UK fta channels. To check this, just power the box off completely by removing the plug from the socket, remove the card and power on again without a card. If its showing BBC1 on channel 101 then you will get the FTA channels. If its showing RTE1 on 101 then you will need a free to view card.

Lots of them for sale here on Adverts for a few euro.

Here's a guy selling them who I have dealt with a few times in the past (dont know him from Adam) but I can highly recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 8,108 ✭✭✭batistuta9

can you not get the freesat channels on new sky boxes?

batistuta9 wrote: »
    No, not without an expired UK card.

Edt/ You do get quite a lot of FTA channels without a card but no ITVs or Channel 5 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭wardy2

Got a call off sky last week offer me half price TV for 12 months due to I had the full package plus broadband.
    Didt take the offer just went with upc deal instead...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

Is there a market for old sky boxes? Move got a few over the last 6 years-ish....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,108 ✭✭✭batistuta9

muffler wrote: »
    No, not without an expired UK card.

Edt/ You do get quite a lot of FTA channels without a card but no ITVs or Channel 5 etc.

can you not add them in other channels?

i'm not getting the point of this card. there's cards that'll allow you to use record/pause etc. but this isn't what you're talking about

can you not add them in other channels?

i'm not getting the point of this card. there's cards that'll allow you to use record/pause etc. but this isn't what you're talking about
    You can of course add channels into the "other channels" but if you want them on the EPG, which I assume is what most people would be looking for if only for convenience, then it takes card.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,870 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Trust me. If you don't have an old box you will want the card.
    For the sake of 4 quid!
    You don't want to be going in through other channels every time you want to switch over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭AndrewTheCat

Thinking of cancelling this completely, bt seem to have all the football these days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Seve OB wrote: »
    Trust me. If you don't have an old box you will want the card.
    For the sake of 4 quid!
    You don't want to be going in through other channels every time you want to switch over

Spending a bit more €50 irc will get you a fta sky+ card which are brilliant, makes it really handy being able to pause rewind ,series link etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

jca wrote: »
    Spending a bit more €50 irc will get you a fta sky+ card which are brilliant, makes it really handy being able to pause rewind ,series link etc.

Do they actually work or what card are they

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

GY A1 wrote: »
    Do they actually work or what card are they

I can't say too much about them as I got warned here. But they do work as I have one, it's a white card, mine happens to be itv Granada region I think it's the luck of the draw what region you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭Masala

Was looking at Multi-Room but there never seems to a deal (We could do with a connection in the Kitchen when preparing meals etc) But at €15 month...just couldn't afford it. Also.... the hassle of re-wiring would put me off.

So... am thinking of buying on of those Android boxes (locally for sale for €100) which runs off the WiFi and gets all the channels according to the gump I read! Just plug into telly in Kitchen.... and away we go.

Also- no wires and no monthly fee.
    What do ye think.....?????

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭normanbond

Cancelled sky a few months ago. Thinking of cancelling my eircom phone service now. Are sky offering any good deals on tv broadband and calls?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Masala wrote: »
    Was looking at Multi-Room but there never seems to a deal (We could do with a connection in the Kitchen when preparing meals etc) But at €15 month...just couldn't afford it. Also.... the hassle of re-wiring would put me off.

So... am thinking of buying on of those Android boxes (locally for sale for €100) which runs off the WiFi and gets all the channels according to the gump I read! Just plug into telly in Kitchen.... and away we go.

Got one of those , had it about a month now (MX3 box €56), quite good, watch a good few new films on it ,if you have a good broadband connection would make it better ,which i don't have, but still very pleased with it , my sky finish on the 18th Aug, have not rang me back with better offer, but im getting use to being without now.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Masala wrote: »

Check out this Thread. Guys are really helpful

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057446012/21/#post96727784

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

normanbond wrote: »
    Cancelled sky a few months ago. Thinking of cancelling my eircom phone service now. Are sky offering any good deals on tv broadband and calls?

a work colleague was on about sky offers from the car phone warehouse.......i don't have the details

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭SEORG

SEORG wrote: »
    Sky was disconnected on the 7th Sept, had a missed call from them last Friday, they rang again this morning.

Offered half price on any package, HD for €5 for 12 months with €100 credit added to my account and no contract. This was my first time cancelling, was with sky for 11 yrs before this.

Now have everything for €45.50 p/m + €100 will cover the first 2 months. 2 weeks without the tv was worth it.

Just off the phone, cancelled again....was offered €76/month....was told I wouldn't be able to get the same deal again. Will be disconnected on the 25th Sept.

Let the wait begin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Thinking of cancelling as the offer I got last year is due to expire in a month! I'm going to ring and give my notice, if they offer me nothing better in that time I'll let it cancel and maybe get herself to sign up as a new customer and see what they offer her! I'll report back with how I get on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Skuxx wrote: »
    Thinking of cancelling as the offer I got last year is due to expire in a month! I'm going to ring and give my notice, if they offer me nothing better in that time I'll let it cancel and maybe get herself to sign up as a new customer and see what they offer her! I'll report back with how I get on!!

Rang SKY, no great deal offered! I was on half price everything (TV, movies, HD) didn't have sports
    Asked why I was cancelling and explained I couldn't justify paying the extra once my deal ended! Their solution was I cancel my movies and HD and then I wouldn't have to pay as much, no further discounts offered!
    Carried through and said I want to cancel so gave my notice! Wait and see now!

• Advertisement

Skuxx wrote: »
    Rang SKY, no great deal offered! I was on half price everything (TV, movies, HD) didn't have sports
    Asked why I was cancelling and explained I couldn't justify paying the extra once my deal ended! Their solution was I cancel my movies and HD and then I wouldn't have to pay as much, no further discounts offered!
    Carried through and said I want to cancel so gave my notice! Wait and see now!
    Just out of curiosity did it take you long to cancel?

I spent over an hour in doing this a few weeks ago as the agent wouldnt take no for answer.

don't know if I ever mentioned this, but when I cancelled, and eventually got the call back for half price again on no contract, was also offered 100 credit. so we get everything, 48.50 a month i think it works out, so basically got 2 months free.

they messed up though, and gave us the 100 credit twice :D so still on free TV

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭SEORG

Just out of curiosity did it take you long to cancel?

I spent over an hour in doing this a few weeks ago as the agent wouldnt take no for answer.

Just a few minutes on the phone, just insist on the cancellation...they try to go through comparisons with upc and so on......just interupt them and be clear that you want to cancel because it's too expensive.

SEORG wrote: »
    Just a few minutes on the phone, just insist on the cancellation...they try to go through comparisons with upc and so on......just interupt them and be clear that you want to cancel because it's too expensive.
    Thanks. I am cancelled now but I was just looking for feedback in this area as it seems some agents just wont accept what the customer wants.

I had a horrendous experience when cancelling. The guy insisted that he had to review my account and that he would find a resolution :eek:

I pointed out to him that there is no resolution when the customer genuinely wants to cancel. I wasn't interested in an offer as I was already on half price. I reminded him that as the call was being recorded my instructions to cancel were logged but he persisted with the "looking into my account / seeking resolution" agenda. I hung up after that but the guy calls me straight back and keeps me another 45 minutes on the phone.

Thanks. I am cancelled now but I was just looking for feedback in this area as it seems some agents just wont accept what the customer wants.

I had a horrendous experience when cancelling. The guy insisted that he had to review my account and that he would find a resolution :eek:

I pointed out to him that there is no resolution when the customer genuinely wants to cancel. I wasn't interested in an offer as I was already on half price. I reminded him that as the call was being recorded my instructions to cancel were logged but he persisted with the "looking into my account / seeking resolution" agenda. I hung up after that but the guy calls me straight back and keeps me another 45 minutes on the phone.

I had a similar experience. Brutal stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

The cancel experience must differ from customer to customer , i had no trouble at all , in fact didn't put much effort in trying to keep me despite being a customer for 11 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

The joys of getting somebody on the phone who hasn't hit target for the week ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,620 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

they messed up though, and gave us the 100 credit twice

and of course you rang them immediately and told them to take back one of the credits off you?
    ;)

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    The cancel experience must differ from customer to customer
    Yup! I know what you mean but its all down to what agent the customer gets through to. :)

Avada wrote: »
    The joys of getting somebody on the phone who hasn't hit target for the week ;)
    More than likely.

But there has to come a point when agents have to accept that no means no. In a 2 way telephone conversation like that there is money involved which means that one person is paying to be listened to and the other is being paid to listen but it didn't work out like that in my last call though.

I've made numerous calls to Sky over the years and in fairness I have to say the above is more the exception than the rule particularly over the last 3 or 4 years where we deal mostly with Sky agents in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement