Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I'm rewatching old NXT clips (from when it was a competition), in one segment the Pros were asked what do they think their rookie would be doing if they left sports entertainment. R-Truth said Johnny Curtis would be a dancer.

R-Truth is psychic!

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Deadlie

The one thing I've noticed from watching the archive on the Network is how amazing Kurt Angle was. Id imagine you already know, but watching the ppvs in sequence, I'm only now realising how much he had, that I missed when I watxhed as a kid. Probably the best actor on the roster at the time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Here's my random though and I fear it could be unpopular. I don't give a rats about divas wrestling. Some of the intense interest on here baffles me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Omackeral wrote: »
    Here's my random though and I fear it could be unpopular. I don't give a rats about divas wrestling. Some of the intense interest on here baffles me.

What else should we be talking about and what have you done to spark discussion about it? Barely no one talks about Smackdown, other WWE programming, TNA, ROH, Lucha Underground, New Japan, the indies etc. Believe me I try.

If anything in terms of other forums and women Boards lags behind. Also look at Twitter all this week. The World is changing and tastes are changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

rovert wrote: »
    What else should we be talking about and what have you done to spark discussion about it? Barely no one talks about Smackdown, other WWE programming, TNA, ROH, Lucha Underground, New Japan, the indies etc. Believe me I try.

If anything in terms of other forums and women Boards lags behind. Also look at Twitter all this week. The World is changing and tastes are changing.
    Maybe he's just not that interested in that stuff? Like I try my best to watch non-WWE stuff but between that, other things I have to do etc I don't always have time to post stuff about it.

• Advertisement

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    Maybe he's just not that interested in that stuff? Like I try my best to watch non-WWE stuff but between that, other things I have to do etc I don't always have time to post stuff about it.

That's fine and I am not asking for people to watch anything either. Although it may cheer yis up. :p But like I said if you want something else discussed start a discussion. Maybe the interest is so intense (it isn't by most Wrestling forum standards) as interest in other things is so low. I wish there was actual intense interest in other stuff and stuff that perhaps Omackeral wants to talk about instead. I am game. Surely interest in Pro Wrestling shouldn't be "criticised" on a Pro Wrestling forum either?

I've zero problem with Omackeral at all it has to be said by the way just the mindset.

I've started loads of threads on a variety of topics to be honest, so I've sparked plenty of discussions. It was my random thought that I don't really care about women's wrestling (with a few exceptions). They're not the draw and never will be.

That's fine and I am not asking for people to watch anything either. Although it may cheer yis up. :p But like I said if you want something else discussed start a discussion. Maybe the interest is so intense (it isn't by most Wrestling forum standards) as interest in other things is so low. I wish there was actual intense interest in other stuff and stuff that perhaps Omackeral wants to talk about instead. I am game. Surely interest in Pro Wrestling shouldn't be "criticised" on a Pro Wrestling forum either?

I've zero problem with Omackeral at all it has to be said by the way just the mindset.
    Your point is proving mine to be honest. I was just saying that Omackeral has the right to say whatever he likes. His opinion is just as valid as yours. You're criticising his opinion which is kind of against what you are saying

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    Your point is proving mine to be honest. I was just saying that Omackeral has the right to say whatever he likes. His opinion is just as valid as yours. You're criticising his opinion which is kind of against what you are saying

Barely even touched on his opinion directly tbh. Just the mindset were I thought it was coming from and having a little whinge about Boards at the same time.

Barely even touched on his opinion directly tbh. Just the mindset were I thought it was coming from and having a little whinge about Boards at the same time.
    Fair enough! I do get ya though, it is mostly WWE related stuff but to be fair that's because they are the biggest show in the world. Don't get me wrong, I love my puroresu and ROH, it's just easier to talk about WWE on here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

I really hope Brock goes into business for himself at Mania and stiffs the **** out of Reigns.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Reebrock

I don't think we "should" be talking about anything. I think people should just talk about what they want. AJW matches were regarded as some of the best ever over 20 years ago by some intelligent critics; it didn't appeal to me back then. It still doesn't now.

What I don't like is when somebody states they don't like something and people jump all over it (not saying you're doing this here Rovert). Incidentally I find that these are the same sort of people who jump all over people who like something they don't.

I quite like the NXT Diva division to be fair.

Reebrock wrote: »
    What I don't like is when somebody states they don't like something and people jump all over it (not saying you're doing this here Rovert). Incidentally I find that these are the same sort of people who jump all over people who like something they don't.

I never even directly addressed his dislike. Different strokes for different folks. He is entitled to his opinion.

I do recognise that if you look at sports and some other forms of entertainment there's generally a ceiling when it comes to the Women's end those genres popularity wise. But even in saying that tastes are changing so the idea that Women's Wrestling is being discussed shouldn't really be that baffling. For example women are being given greater roles in action films and look at the whole Gamergate madness.

As long as people are discussing something on a message board I think that's a positive. So if discussion of Women's Wrestling is edging out discussion of male WWE side headlock driven matches and the latest Authority handicap match main event than so be it!

Some geeks have held the 'prestigious and coveted' Intercontinental Championship. Who do you reckon was worst of all?

Albert, Curtis Axel, Santino, The Mountie?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,362 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Some geeks have held the 'prestigious and coveted' Intercontinental Championship. Who do you reckon was worst of all?

Albert, Curtis Axel, Santino, The Mountie?

Dean Douglas

Dean Douglas

Jesus yeah. 'Won' due to forfeit by Shawn Michaels. Dropped half an hour later to HBK's Kliq buddy Razor Ramon. Douglas is a pure mark anyway so f*ck him.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,854 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Thinking Taryn Terrell is a wardrobe malfunction waiting to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Jesus yeah. 'Won' due to forfeit by Shawn Michaels. Dropped half an hour later to HBK's Kliq buddy Razor Ramon. Douglas is a pure mark anyway so f*ck him.

What does it mean to call a wrestler a mark in this context? I thought a mark referred to casual fans who didn't know about how wrestling worked. (not a bad thing).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

What does it mean to call a wrestler a mark in this context? I thought a mark referred to casual fans who didn't know about how wrestling worked. (not a bad thing).

No, my general understanding (although I'm not big on wrestling terminology) is the opposite, he knows everything about wrestling and loves cheering the bad guys just cause and he wants to be part of the show, these generally don't like current wrestling and only like older wrestling (rollerball rocko ehhhh as they say on OSW)

A mark for a wrestler would be he loves everything he does himself, an egotistical maniac if you will.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    No, my general understanding (although I'm not big on wrestling terminology) is the opposite, he knows everything about wrestling and loves cheering the bad guys just cause and he wants to be part of the show, these generally don't like current wrestling and only like older wrestling (rollerball rocko ehhhh as they say on OSW)

That would be a smark, or a "smart mark". :)

• Advertisement

In short a mark believes that there's something going in front of him when there really isn't. Like real spontaneous occurrence when in actual fact it is a fake scripted one.

In Shane Douglas's case he is someone who believes his character/persona is real. "Buys into his own hype". Shane is probably the best example of that you can find. He is still trying to find backers to start Wrestling promotions with him. He'll go on Wrestling podcasts making a convincing case that Wrestling needs a spark and should promote youth. Then when the promotion starts up Shane just so happens to the promotion's title. It is kind of a tragic case in terms of not letting go of the past.

946d8e8a404b2622046b158872be9141.455x341x1.jpg

Not trying to whore myself out too much here, but I am just about to list something on eBay and figured I'd say it to ye guys before I do (incase anyone here collects merchandise).

I've a WWE Classic Superstars Hulk Hogan and Andre The Giant, Limited Edition UK Exclusive double pack, still in packaging, in generally good condition. I'm gonna sell it, as I could do with the cash (and I knew it'd become quite collectable, so I bought 2 sets to keep in packaging, so I'll still have one for myself, anyway).

The cheapest I can find it online is about €100 (+postage). That's just from looking at ebay and Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/WWE-Classic-Super-Stars-2-Pack/dp/B002G46JK8

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WWE-Classic-Superstars-Hulk-Hogan-Vs-Andre-The-Giant-Limited-Edition-2-Pack-WWF-/361199649170?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item54192d4192

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WWE-Classic-Superstars-Hulk-Hogan-vs-Andre-the-Giant-/331256361363?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d206af193

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WWE-WRESTLING-CLASSIC-SUPERSTARS-ANDRE-THE-GIANT-E-HULK-HOGAN-WRESTLEMANIA-3-/111589021299?pt=IT_Action_figure&hash=item19fb395673

If anyone here wants it, before I try to flog it, I'd happily sell it to a boardsie for €60 (+ postage if necessary). Saves me the hassle of ebaying it (i reckon if I put it up for €80 it'd be gone swift enough).

Sorry if this is the wrong thread, but it seems like the 'general wrestling' thread to post this kinda thing. Like i say, not trying to whore myself out, cos I'd say i can sell it handy enough anyway, but reckon it may benefit a boardsie who collects classic superstars and missed out on this.

Here's a (crap) pic of my one. Slight scuffing to the right of Andre's name, and the gold has slightly worn off on the A in "classic", but other than that it seems okay to me.

9D21B4DA98A3495F9FEC92E685B3C488-0000333410-0003735776-00800L-0349172FBE7442CD8A21D8E90B8C3B31.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Wondering what WM18 would have been like had it been Austin v Hogan instead of Rock v Hogan. Not that Rock v Hogan was bad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

veganrun wrote: »
    Wondering what WM18 would have been like had it been Austin v Hogan instead of Rock v Hogan. Not that Rock v Hogan was bad :)

I'd say we got the best version of that match, given the state of Austin's head at that time in his life (as he says himself). His match with Razor should've been a classic in its own right, sure, and was merely passable.

Just to pick back up on the Bobby Heenan love, re-watching Savage/Warrior and he was on fire during the reunion with Elizabeth at the end, just ****ting on the entire deal (with Monsoon's commentary being the perfect balance):

"She loves him!"
    "She's always loved him."
    "This is sickening..."

(Shots of women in the crowd crying)
    "Emotional scenes from this capacity crowd."
    "Maybe their shoes are just too tight."

"He's lost the match but he's gained something more important: the love of his woman."
    "I'd rather win the match."

Absolute gold. :pac:

Has anyone gone to the Fozzy concerts this week or going to the Dublin show tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Has anyone gone to the Fozzy concerts this week or going to the Dublin show tonight?

I was at the Belfast gig, venue was very small and didn't have great sound (not the bands fault as I've been to a few shows there) but it was pretty well packed.

Enjoyed the show though as I do actually like the band and it was a nice bonus to see Jericho up close doing his thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sirsok

When listening to triple H's stone cold interview he stated that it's almost like the reality has become the business. Which got me thinking, what if all this backstage controversy with , Lesner, AJ, Rollins, Demott resigning, burying all the favourites, was all just a clever work to get fans talking ? Highly unlikely in some cases but not so unlikely in other scenarios. Seems to be more controversy wwe are dealing with every week

• Registered Users Posts: 13,558 ✭✭✭✭briany

Sirsok wrote: »
    When listening to triple H's stone cold interview he stated that it's almost like the reality has become the business. Which got me thinking, what if all this backstage controversy with , Lesner, AJ, Rollins, Demott resigning, burying all the favourites, was all just a clever work to get fans talking ? Highly unlikely in some cases but not so unlikely in other scenarios. Seems to be more controversy wwe are dealing with every week

I don't think WWE needs any unwarranted controversy but it is true that the backstage commotions are often so much more
    interesting than the show. Makes me wonder if it'll ever get to Kayfabe 2.0 whereby WWE intentionally engineers fake behind the scenes drama and mix it in with the show so nobody really quite knows what's real and what's fake.

• Advertisement

briany wrote: »
    I don't think WWE needs any unwarranted controversy but it is true that the backstage commotions are often so much more
    interesting than the show. Makes me wonder if it'll ever get to Kayfabe 2.0 whereby WWE intentionally engineers fake behind the scenes drama and mix it in with the show so nobody really quite knows what's real and what's fake.

I'd love to see it tried but don't think it's workable. Too many people they'd have to buy off and I think wrestlers would secretly hate people not appreciating their genius. Sure it's tough enough for guys coming up to even behave like real heels as is, if anything things are going the opposite direction. Kayfabe is deader than we even realise sadly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement