Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2015

Options
  • 01-01-2015 9:14pm
    Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,293 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Given that the selection process is already well underway I thought it was time to start the thread.

39 countries taking part this year, up two on last year. Ukraine have withdrawn for obvious reasons, whilst Cyprus, Serbia and the Czech Republic are all returning.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurovision_Song_Contest_2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,293 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Here are the entries revealed so far, in the order they were chosen:

Macedonia

Macedonia have never really had much luck at Eurovision, their best finish is 11th place, and I really don't see it changing much with this song.

Malta

Not a bad song at all.

The Netherlands

Trijntje has big shoes to fill after Anouk and the Common Linnets finished 8th and 2nd respectively. It's a pleasant song, the juries will probably like it, but it would be doing well to get top 10 in the final imo.

Belarus

Not liking this at all.

Albania

Dated, but ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

And we still haven't a hope of winning:D

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,293 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Of course we can. We just have to send a decent song, which we haven't in a very long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,197 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

What obvious reason would make Ukraine not enter? Surely the dodgy situation over there would mean getting closer to Europe would be better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭JaseBelleVie

"What time is it now, Ted?"

"Half-past one."

"Half one? And the competition is on in...?"

"May."

• Advertisement

JaseHeath wrote: »
    "What time is it now, Ted?"

"Half-past one."

"Half one? And the competition is on in...?"

"May."
    I like to get in before the crowd :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Amik

Nothing says New Year like a new Eurovision thread! :D

The Netherland's song is catchy and Trijntje is an incredible singer (love that live performance you posted). However, it'll be hard to "Walk Along" in the huge shoes left by the The Common Linnets, so the song will stumble out of the Top 10.

Malta's National selection this year was incredible. Amber's song is good, plus she's lovely and has a great stage presence. Warrior is my favourite so far.

I really wish this song made it through though:

In the "Walk Along" video posted above it looks like Ilse DeLange of The Common Linnets is a judge on The Voice of Holland.

Hello, you! ;)

2ag96vc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

None of those have a hope, even if they manage to incorporate women spinning in giant hamster wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,336 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Thank Christ yer man Mooney will be off the air this spring so we won't have to listen to him make up yet another excuse to discuss the Eurovision on every afternoon from February to May!

Can't see Ray Darcy giving it much attention, that is unless the producers in RTE decide that it's station policy to ram it down our throats at every opportunity though I'm thinking it was a personal obsession of Mooney's. Good riddance.

• Advertisement

Spain just announced their entrant for 2015: Edurne!

Second consecutive strong pick from Spain. Really enjoyed Ruth last year.

vxgqkk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Skullface McGubbin

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    And we still haven't a hope of winning:D

Unless we send Linda Martin again but this time scribble a beard on her face with a permanent marker :pac:

Georgia

It's grand. Better than last year :pac:

6/39 picked now.

Georgia

It's grand. Better than last year :pac:

6/39 picked now.

I like it! Is this the first time ever two songs with the same title have competed?

Lots of rumours in Poland that TVP are sending Doda.

It wouldn't be a bad choice. Very popular and talented singer. Her stage performances are always a treat to watch.

Here's her latest release. Did I mention she's gorgeous? ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

What obvious reason would make Ukraine not enter? Surely the dodgy situation over there would mean getting closer to Europe would be better?

A desire to get 'closer to Europe' is one of the main reasons why the whole frig up kicked off over there to begin with.

But yeah, it's not a reason why they shouldn't compete. They did last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Here we go :D
    THE SEMI-FINAL draw for Eurovision 2015 took place today and we found out that Ireland will perform in the first half of the second semi-final.

First Semi-Final
    First half

Greece
    F.Y.R. Macedonia
    Estonia
    The Netherlands
    Moldova
    Finland
    Belgium
    Armenia

Second half

Serbia
    Denmark
    Belarus
    Romania
    Russia
    Albania
    Georgia
    Hungary

Second Semi-Final
    First half

Norway
    Ireland
    Czech Republic
    Lithuania
    San Marino
    Malta
    Portugal
    Montenegro

Second half

Switzerland
    Azerbaijan
    Slovenia
    Latvia
    Poland
    Iceland
    Israel
    Cyprus
    Sweden

It was also drawn which Semi-Final the already qualified countries, the so-called Big 5 - Germany, Spain, France, the UK, Italy - and the Host Country of Austria will broadcast and vote in.

First Semi-Final

Spain
    Austria
    France

Second Semi-Final

Germany
    Italy
    United Kingdom

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Threads Merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Not great being on that early, but at least we will have the UK vote this time.

Send a quality song & good singer(s) and none of that should really matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

coylemj wrote: »
    Thank Christ yer man Mooney will be off the air this spring so we won't have to listen to him make up yet another excuse to discuss the Eurovision on every afternoon from February to May!

Can't see Ray Darcy giving it much attention, that is unless the producers in RTE decide that it's station policy to ram it down our throats at every opportunity though I'm thinking it was a personal obsession of Mooney's. Good riddance.
    Why are you here? And if you did your research you'd know that Darcy used to give the Eurovision more than ample coverage every year and his Producer Mairead Farrell was even one of the eurosong contestants mentors last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭NormanNicetouch

Why are you here? And if you did your research you'd know that Darcy used to give the Eurovision more than ample coverage every year and his Producer Mairead Farrell was even one of the eurosong contestants mentors last year.

He also presented You're A Star and Eurosong 2008 so I'm sure there will be more than a passing mention even if it's not at Mooney levels of overkill.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

Stevecw wrote: »
    Not great being on that early, but at least we will have the UK vote this time.

Send a quality song & good singer(s) and none of that should really matter.

I don't think that is the final running order. It says something on the official site that the producers decide.

I've heard some of the final selections from the countries who've yet to decide but nothing really stands of for me yet. My favourite so far is probably Malta.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭County rebel

when will we no our contested for this years eurovision will it be another late late show special.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

when will we no our contested for this years eurovision will it be another late late show special.

It was suggested some months ago that the format of The Hit - having famous singers perform songs written by unknown songwriters - would be used to select this year's Eurovision entry, but there's been no further news.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056964657

• Registered Users Posts: 71,683 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Nicki and Erika best of a bad bunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

So the ultimate response of the folks at Montrose to last year's disasters in the LLS studio and in Copenhagen... is to stick with the same old selection format, only without the mentors.

And for so long it seemed that they actually would do something significantly different.

*sigh*

:(:(:(:( :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 71,683 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Listen to previews of each song this afternoon on Ray D'Arcy's Radio 1 show.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

I'll have to tune in to the show later but I don't hold out much hope. The Swedish singer has been on their version of The Voice so she might be decent.

At least they won't be doing the mentoring this year as it was a farce last time.

• Advertisement

I'm kinda hoping Linda Martin is involved again this year though :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement