Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

mahony could move to seven and diack or muldoon could come in at 6 for Italy

Don't see that as being better than TOD or Murphy. In fact, I see it as a level below tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭tommyteetoes

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Don't see that as being better than TOD or Murphy. In fact, I see it as a level below tbh.

you could be right but I think O Mahony is our best 6 and now because of injuries our best 7.
    Muldoon and Diack are big men who would do a job at 6 in the short term.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,028 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

you could be right but I think O Mahony is our best 6 and now because of injuries our best 7.

Diack is way underpowered for international rugby imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

I wouldn't be so quick to shunt POM out of position. He was Ireland's best player in 2014 and has made the 6 jersey his own. Henderson is a great talent, but he isn't a great player yet. Murphy shouldn't be involved on the bench.

POM has to be at 6.

On what basis should Murphy not be involved? Henderson is only just back from injury. Murphy has played quite well the last 2-3 games and is getting better week on week

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

That may be true, but I think both others are better 7s than those two are 6s. None of them are in the same league as POM, but in the circumstances, I think I'd prefer to keep POM at 6. Tbh I think 7 is Murphy's weakest position of the 3 back row positions.

• Advertisement

Diack is way underpowered for international rugby imo.

His no more under powered than TOD or Murphy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

I wouldn't be so quick to shunt POM out of position. He was Ireland's best player after Andrew Trimble in 2014 and has made the 6 jersey his own. Henderson is a great talent, but he isn't a great player yet. Murphy shouldn't be involved on the bench.

FYP.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    That may be true, but I think both others are better 7s than those two are 6s. None of them are in the same league as POM, but in the circumstances, I think I'd prefer to keep POM at 6. Tbh I think 7 is Murphy's weakest position of the 3 back row positions.

I agree with you that O Mahony is our best 6 but if O Brien and Ruddock stay injured, could u imagine Murphy or TOD at 7 against England. not a good thought

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Diack? Very unlikely. Muldoon? Absolutely no chance, quite literally zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭b.gud

I think I recall Muldoon saying recently that his international career was over. He didn't officially retire or any but he said the chances of him playing again for Ireland were pretty much 0

• Advertisement

b.gud wrote: »
    I think I recall Muldoon saying recently that his international career was over. He didn't officially retire or any but he said the chances of him playing again for Ireland were pretty much 0

thats a pity if true, hes only 32, and could if selected for Ireland have a good 6 nations.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

b.gud wrote: »

You can't retire from international rugby if you've signed a contract for an Irish province anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Teferi wrote: »
    FYP.

Sexton? He was a MOTM contender in literally every match we played last year except v England, the only one we lost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

Tox56 wrote: »
    Sexton? He was a MOTM contender in literally every match we played last year except v England, the only one we lost

Trimble, Sexton, Murray, POM were the best 4 players for Ireland in the 6n and in the year overall Murray was our best player IMO.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Teferi wrote: »
    You can't retire from international rugby if you've signed a contract for an Irish province anyway, and you're Irish or Irish qualified.

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I reckon with injuries and the world cup this year Joe will pick someone likely to be in the WC squad to start v Italy, probably Murphy at 7 along with POM and JH who are pretty nailed on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

Look Muldoon is a legend of Connacht rugby but he's simply not good enough for international level, and that's coming from a Connacht fan.

The simple thing to do is leave POM at 6 and pick one of TOD or Jordi for 7. A few weeks back I would have said TOD 100%, he was having a good run and was by far the best backrower on the pitch against Leinster Stephen's Day....he completely out played Murphy who was put on his arse about 3 times in that game. But Jordi seems to have found some form in his last few games so right now, there's very little between them.

Just to throw a spanner in the works, Conan to have a stormer against Wasps, play for the Wolfhounds and have another great game and get picked at 6 for the Italy game with POM moving to 7. In some ways, this would give us a more conventional backrow with a big ball carrier at 6 with a smaller guy who is good on the floor at 7.

Now I know that would be a shock and I'm sure the idea will be shot down by most, fair enough.....but I simply don't accept the idea that a backrow of O'Mahony, TOD/Jordi, Heaslip is significantly better than a backrow of Conan, POM, Heaslip. People may throw out the experience card but neither Murphy or TOD have any experience worth talking about.........anyways, it's just a thought!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

S12b wrote: »
    Look Muldoon is a legend of Connacht rugby but he's simply not good enough for international level, and that's coming from a Connacht fan.

The simple thing to do is leave POM at 6 and pick one of TOD or Jordi for 7. A few weeks back I would have said TOD 100%, he was having a good run and was by far the best backrower on the pitch against Leinster Stephen's Day....he completely out played Murphy who was put on his arse about 3 times in that game. But Jordi seems to have found some form in his last few games so right now, there's very little between them.

Just to throw a spanner in the works, Conan to have a stormer against Wasps, play for the Wolfhounds and have another great game and get picked at 6 for the Italy game with POM moving to 7. In some ways, this would give us a more conventional backrow with a big ball carrier at 6 with a smaller guy who is good on the floor at 7.

Now I know that would be a shock and I'm sure the idea will be shot down by most, fair enough.....but I simply don't accept the idea that a backrow of O'Mahony, TOD/Jordi, Heaslip is significantly better than a backrow of Conan, POM, Heaslip. People may throw out the experience card but neither Murphy or TOD have any experience worth talking about.........anyways, it's just a thought!!

Couldn't handle the boards meltdown if Joe picked Conan over TOD :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I don't think Conan even played for the Leinster A's when Schmidt was in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I don't think Conan even played for the Leinster A's when Schmidt was in charge.

He did yeah. No senior caps though, afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Anybody know what time the squad announcement is at?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,028 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

wprathead wrote: »
    Couldn't handle the boards meltdown if Joe picked Conan over TOD :pac:

It would be beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Zzippy wrote: »
    You can't retire from international rugby if you've signed a contract for an Irish province anyway, and you're Irish or Irish qualified.

Is this written into every player's contract? Does that mean that if Stander is called up this time next year he has no choice but to accept (I know he has said he wants to play anyway) and by extension if Heenan signs a contract extension does that mean he is then obliged to declare for Ireland as soon as he is called on?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Is this written into every player's contract? Does that mean that if Stander is called up this time next year he has no choice but to accept (I know he has said he wants to play anyway) and by extension if Heenan signs a contract extension does that mean he is then obliged to declare for Ireland as soon as he is called on?

I can't see any way that would be enforceable (it would almost certainly be against IRB regs) and I highly doubt its true.

It would be a different matter for already capped players. I've heard similar before but I kind of always assumed it only referred to centrally contracted players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

No. They have a choice. Incarceration, bread & water, and One Direction piped in 24 hours a day, or they can play for Ireland. Most choose Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,035 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Conan needn't neccesarily light it up against wasps to warrant a start against italy. I'd more be looking at how wasps' defence react to him. Do they put extra men in his channel on first phase, etc. If he's consistently creating space he gives us something that none of our fit backrows really give us, especially with his offloads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I can't see any way that would be enforceable (it would almost certainly be against IRB regs) and I highly doubt its true.

It would be a different matter for already capped players. I've heard similar before but I kind of always assumed it only referred to centrally contracted players.

I seem to remember Hump the elder retiring from international rugby while still playing for Ulster. Centrally contracted players not being allowed to retire from international rugby makes sense. Provincially contracted players much less so although it's obviously possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Sanjuro wrote: »
    Anybody know what time the squad announcement is at?

Not a sign of it on the IRFU website, which is unusual. Must be a low key affair.

Murray injury is to a disc in his neck issue apparently.
    ...He also said that Conor Murray is a doubt for Sunday’s Champions Cup dead rubber against Sale because of a disc problem in his neck...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,035 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

vienne86 wrote: »
    Not a sign of it on the IRFU website, which is unusual. Must be a low key affair.

Well in fairness it will be joe schmidt listing off every Irish qualified player currently under 40 and not missing a limb.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement