Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Winds of Winter (Book 6 Discussion) **SPOILERS for all books & future books**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

I always preferred:

"George RR Martin is not your bitch" - David Gemell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

I always preferred:

"George RR Martin is not your bitch" - David Gemell

I never heard that one, it's much better...

GerB40 wrote: »
    I never heard that one, it's much better...

Turns out it was Neil Gaiman. Either way, a great quote

• Registered Users Posts: 18,086 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

South Park got it spot on with him conducting the wiener choir, he does daft pointless projects to do with Westeros rather than finishing the core text/story itself, how long after The Winds of Winter will we be waiting for the last book A Dream of Spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

iv more or less forgotten about the series when news comes out (real official news) as to a release date i will reread the older books until then i found best bet is to ignore everything or just go read other finished series

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Why the **** didn't Ned demand a trial by combat!?!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,147 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Kunkka wrote: »

He had confessed thinking he was going to the wall and saving his family, you only declare trial by combat if you think the verdict on your guilt is wrong. That's my understanding anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Mickeroo wrote: »
    He had confessed thinking he was going to the wall and saving his family, you only declare trial by combat if you think the verdict on your guilt is wrong. That's my understanding anyway.

I seen it on another forum and hadn't seen it suggested before but even before his admittance of guilt it is strange he didn't go for that option!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I seen it on another forum and hadn't seen it suggested before but even before his admittance of guilt it is strange he didn't go for that option!

If he did that Sansa and Arya were doomed. All he did was for their safety. Also, he fully expected to be let go - he knew that being kept alive would have been of strategic benefit to the Lannisters. All that went wrong was Joffrey being an idiot, something nobody saw coming (including Varys).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

If he did that Sansa and Arya were doomed. All he did was for their safety. Also, he fully expected to be let go, he knew that being kept alive would have been of strategic benefit to the Lannisters, all that went wrong was Joffrey being influenced by LittleFinger, something nobody saw coming (including Varys).

FYP

• Advertisement

FYP

Didn't think of it that way. To be honest it makes his master plan just that little bit more lucky than intricate. I don't remember LF explicitly planting the idea, he must have a great read on people if he expected that to happen.

Didn't think of it that way. To be honest it makes his master plan just that little bit more lucky than intricate. I don't remember LF explicitly planting the idea, he must have a great read on people if he expected that to happen.

Remember, chaos is a ladder.. Littlefinger is a genius who definitely, without a shadow of a doubt, has a great read on people. After my third reread I came to the conclusion that he is probably the smartest, most conniving person in Westeros who wields power and influence. Like Charles Haughey in many ways :):)

Varys though, still hasn't implicitly shown his full, long term intensions. Well he did in ways but it's impossible to know what he's really at.

Until we know more about what Varys really wants, Littlefinger will (in my opinion) be the master of his own destiny. But as some lad said ages ago "Pride cometh before the fall".

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Jack Skellington

That's what I like about Varys, I'd describe him as an antihero but you can never be quite sure.

From the readers pov it's obvious littlefinger is out for himself and I do believe Varys when he talks about doing whats best for the realm, that part comes across as genuine especially in the tv series.

I hope there's a lot more of him in wow.

Well I think it's safe to say that Varys is Targaryen loyalist so with Daenerys' return to Westeros (which has to happen in TWOW) we should find out what Varys' masterplan is. Though he is one fúcker of an enigma...

My prediction is that Littlefinger, being too smart for his own good, won't makes it to the end of TWOW and with that problem out of the way Varys will prosper. The whole "Daenerys Targaryen coming back to reclaim her rightful throne" will place Varys in a position he's waited years for and Dany (after she finds out about his relationship with Illirio) should take him on as an advisor of sorts. And with a Targ supporter as influential as Varys united with Dany, all the pieces of this fúcked up puzzle that is ASoIaF will start coming together..

I realise there's a LOT of wishful thinking in that but who the fúck knows other than the big man himself..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

What are the latest guesses for the book actually being released?

Does anyone know how long it was between when ADWD being announced and actually being released? A 2015 release is looking rather too hopeful now!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,147 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Does anyone know how long it was between when ADWD being announced and actually being released? A 2015 release is looking rather too hopeful now!

Six years I believe.

Six years I believe.

No I mean the actual announcement that the book will be on sale on such a day. I assume a number of months?

No I mean the actual announcement that the book will be on sale on such a day. I assume a number of months?

Oh sorry I get you now, though he did say in the note at the back of AFFC it would be out a year after that :P

Oh sorry I get you now, though he did say in the note at the back of AFFC it would be out a year after that :P

Of course he did :pac:

I thought the question was how long before the release date for the book was announced and the book hittin the shelves. Does anyone know that by any chance?

• Advertisement

On 3rd of March 2011, it was announced on GRRM's blog that ADWD will be hitting the shelves on 12th of July , 2011.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

GerB40 wrote: »
    Well I think it's safe to say that Varys is Targaryen loyalist so with Daenerys' return to Westeros (which has to happen in TWOW) we should find out what Varys' masterplan is. Though he is one fúcker of an enigma...
    Dany was expected to die with the Dothraki and Visery's would never have been allowed to be a serious contender to the throne. Maybe Varys plans on incorporating Dany into his masterplan now but I think he planned to get her out of the way in the beginning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Dany was expected to die with the Dothraki and Visery's would never have been allowed to be a serious contender to the throne. Maybe Varys plans on incorporating Dany into his masterplan now but I think he planned to get her out of the way in the beginning.

Was Varys not party to plan to marry Quentyn to Dany?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Paddy Cow wrote: »

I think Varys has split his bets Targareyn wise and has invested in both Dany and Aegon. He bundled Aegon out of Kings Landing when it was being sack and sent Griff with him to tutor, train and protect him. Surrounding him in the Golden company. Aegon has been bred to be a new King.

Iilyrio (working with Varys) protected and funded Viserys and Dany and provided Dany with Dragons Eggs and Ser Jorah. Saying that I don't think they expect anything to happen other than Viscerys to be killed and Dany forever across the Narrow Sea with the Horse Lord who will refuse to cross water.

Instead Dragons happened and immediately Jorah tries to get her back to Asshai and back to Illyrio (possibly to unite her with Aegon) but instead she began conquering Slave cities and Tyrion manipulated Aegon to head to Westoros.

I don't think Varys plan or Littlefinger plan are fully complete. I love the respect they have each other and the awarness of how much a threat the other one is. A great dynamic!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

On 3rd of March 2011, it was announced on GRRM's blog that ADWD will be hitting the shelves on 12th of July , 2011.

It seems much longer than 3.5 years since that was released. I suppose coupled with the near 6 year was for ADWD it rightly feels like a long time.

George must be using Westeros season lengths to decide writing time for books "I'll write this one over the summer, it'll be grand". The children of summer know no different, etc, etc.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,806 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Because the Mountain would have chopped him to very small pieces for a start.

Also, yeah, he agreed to be sent to the Wall and for his family to keep everything.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 18,086 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Ned was a Pacifist, he used Ice for ceremonial executions, he let Robert kill Rhaegar rather than do it himself, he didn't cut Jamie down from the Iron Throne when he found him upon it, he also didn't kill Aerys the man that murdered both his father and brother, need I go on...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Ned was a Pacifist, he used Ice for ceremonial executions, he let Robert kill Rhaegar rather than do it himself, he didn't cut Jamie down from the Iron Throne when he found him upon it, he also didn't kill Aerys the man that murdered both his father and brother, need I go on...

I see where you're coming from, he has a code of honour, but he did actually fight in the war and kill people. Definitely NOT a pacifist.

Ned couldn't have killed Rhaegar even if he tried. As for Jaime, he turned up and Jaime said he was keeping it warm, he didn't really have grounds to attack. You have to bear alliances in mind, killing him would have been stupid.

Agree with the above in that he had a code and sticks to it, but calling him a pacifist is extreme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Hi didn't fight rhaegar in the trident, and aerys was already dead when he got to Kings Landing.

Advertisement