Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PW Draft 2015 - Discussion Thread

Options
  • 23-12-2014 5:05pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Merry Xmas everyone.

Long term posters will know all about the draft, but for those with a bit less experience, each year, we run a competition known as the Pro-Wrestling Draft. The idea is simple enough; 15 people, over the course of 6-8 weeks, draft a dream roster of superstars and divas, managers and announcers, modern and vintage wrestlers, in a bid to create the ultimate collection of characters. After everyone has chosen, each person is invited to explain how they would book their roster, detailing storylines, matches, characters, etc.

This is the discussion thread for the upcoming 2015 draft. There will be three other threads made over the following weeks in which people can participate.

The sign-up thread will be posted on January 2nd (Friday week) at Midday. This topic will be where everyone signs up to participate. We have 15 slots, and we'll hold places for previous winners and organizers of the competition. Typically we have a few drop outs as well, so don't worry if you miss the first run of slots; we usually need a significant back up list as well :P

The Roster Picks Thread will open up once the sign-ups are done. We randomly pick the order for each round, some rounds will have special stipulations and bonuses. The rules will be in the roster thread to glance over.

The Evaluation thread will open during Round 10 of the drafting process, and we'll invite everyone to write up their shows. You get 4 "TV Shows" and 1 "Pay Per View" show in which to book your roster. We typically give people 2-3 weeks following Round 15 to get their shows up. Different people put different levels of effort in, but I should stress, it doesn't need to be massively time intesive; first and foremost, the draft is about some community fun, and while this will take 3-4 months (We usually try and end round Mania time), it can be real fun and flexible for everyone.

Voting takes place once a deadline passes; we'll post the deadline near the end of the picks. And then we'll post the second deadline once everyone asks for it to be extended :p

Last year's threads give a good way of seeing what it's all about.

Anyone who has suggestions about stipulation ideas, I'd appreciate them being passed on. I'll put Mr Nice Guy down for the sign-ups automatically, and (same as last year) ask that any other winners who want automatic entry just let me know (I think most don't post anymore, so this is easier than clogging up 6 spaces off the bat...that and MNG makes up 3 of the previous winners anyway :P).

So best of luck everyone and thanks for taking part at all levels :)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

So...

still a few days before this kicks off and often that be when the discussion gets started cos until then people are waiting to see if they made it in esp since the numbers dropped from 20 to 15 participants but was there any contrversy last year? is there any rules people think should be changed? loopholes abolished or even opened up? If so say so asap cos once the sign up is done people don't usually want to hold on they wanna get going with the first round draw immediately.

Any stip ideas? why not throw em out now before TSC potentially decides on what he will have for us this year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

New potential stips aimed to liven things up with out limiting people to much while giving an opportunity to be creative and learn new things.

Bad luck reversed - Normal limit for year of debute is reduced by the position in the draft selection; i.e. normal limit is 1975, first person can pick anyone who debuted from 1974, 20th person can pick anyone who's debuted since 1955. Being a lower number opens up more years but fewer to choose from due to selecting later.

Now that's a champion! - Has to pick someone who's won <insert suitable belts> at least once in their career

The bad guy always wins! - Has to pick someone who's played heel at least once in their career

Invasion time! - Allowed to pick a wrestler from <insert currently excluded organizations>

From Bubba with love - The selected wrestler has to have been involved in some type of controversy or similar how ever small (this is to get people dig deeper basically, I'd say most would qualify at some level for it!)

Time for some R&R - Wrestler must have taken time off due to surgery or other reason in their career

Oh that's got to hurt - Wrestler must use a submission move as finisher or had a submission move finisher done on them

Blue blood traditions - The wrestler has to be a second (or more) generation wrestler OR trained in a wrestling academy by someone's family who has at least two generation of wrestlers

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Why is it 15 places this year opposed to the 20 last year ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Sign me up anyway had great craic in my 1st stint

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Sign me up anyway had great craic in my 1st stint

I'm sure your aware but just incase... you gotta get your name down on the sign up thread when it goes up in 3/4 days.

Hope MNG does, been trying to beat him for quite some time now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

I have my list of names done and feuds all ready. I'm confident I'll get 90% of my picks as I'm not going with any major names at all and following a very exact plan :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Why is it 15 places this year opposed to the 20 last year ?

(having Deja Vu)

Is it 20 spaces? Was going to suggest upping it to 20 anyway so a happy mistake there :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Can't wait. Will definitely throw my name in the hat. Third year in a row.

Some big movers and shakers this year in the world of wrestling. A lot of guys whos stock has went up and a few that have fallen a bit in pecking order. The first round will be a dosy.

I landed a great marquee feud last year. Have an idea who'm in the market for with regard to my top end of my matching and a few mid card talents. TBH wouldn't hold my hopes too high in achieving it.

I think i may drop the ECWnéss of my promotion last year.....hehheeh depends if i get my picks :D

Can only think of one ECW guy you will really have to jump on before somebody else does.

• Advertisement

Well to be honest last year my promotion i set it out to be a mixmash of ROH, TNA and CZW an alternative , alot of people reckoned it was very ECW so i sort of succeeded :D

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Hello again, folks.

I know haven't been around much the past six months as I had some stressful stuff to contend with and, well, I just wanted a break. But I'd just like to state that yes I would like to throw my hat in and defend my title once more. I think I have been entered automatically for this year's game but I just thought I'd make it known in case people were understandably unsure.

Let the rest of the promotions know we at Monday Night Grappling aren't planning on a retirement. We are eager to land top ratings for a fourth year in a row!

(PS many thanks to those who expressed kind sentiments in my little hiatus. Much appreciated.)

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Ah here, just disappears for months and comes back to defend his title.

Brock Lesnar on boards? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The UFC wouldn't match the silly money I was offered so it was an easy decision. ;)

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 85,087 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I would love if you could pick a tag team with a world champ

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

More stip rounds....that is all

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Okay, even though I have been here for about 3 years now, I think I'll watch it closely this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

I was gutted I had to pull out last year, I had such an interesting angle going and all it felt like it would finally be the year CWA emerged from the ashes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

I don't think the TNA belt should be classed as a world title.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I would love if you could pick a tag team with a world champ

Ah I like the stip the way it is to be honest. Makes you think harder and more careful about your picks.

Only suggestion I have is that after every round the next round is in reverse order to make things fair.

Example, 1st round is drawn randomly, round 2 is in reverse order, round 3 is drawn randomly and round 4 in reverse order and so on...

• Advertisement

I'd nearly say the opposite. I like the luck of the draw thing.

That said, I'd do a weighed average round early enough so somebody isn't being completely shafted.

ShagNastii wrote: »
    I'd nearly say the opposite. I like the luck of the draw thing.

That said, I'd do a weighed average round early enough so somebody isn't being completely shafted.

I suppose I could look at ity this way, myself and MNG got awful draws on average IIRC, look how good we did.

That being said I would prefer it all to be fair but as usual I will go with whatever is decided as I have fun anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I personally was happy with the reverse order for stip rounds last year, but don't think it needs to occur every round. Part of the core mechanic of the draft, imo, is the "randomness" of the draw, which nearly always balances itself out over the 15 rounds anyway so everyone has an average of pick 7-13.

I've got a stip round in mind for round one. Something that will make the draft competitive :P Also very tempted to do a non-random draw for Pick 1 as well to really mess with people :P

The tag team stip is a hard one to balance; do it too early and so many big names disappear. Do it too late and its redundant since a lot of the big names are already gone.

What would be the consensus on dropping the TNA title as a world title? I guess that there was a stage where, in an IWC sense, it would have been considered a "top" title and I think there's enough people with the title that we'd want it spread out a bit.

So far, MNG is the only former winner whose let it be known he wants back in. The sign up thread will go up in 35 minutes, 20 places for grabs. Excited now. :D

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I personally was happy with the reverse order for stip rounds last year, but don't think it needs to occur every round. Part of the core mechanic of the draft, imo, is the "randomness" of the draw, which nearly always balances itself out over the 15 rounds anyway so everyone has an average of pick 7-13.

Ah twas just a suggestion, as I remember I was getting very frustrated with getting 18/19/20 picks last year. Maybe this year will be different. :pac:
    Also very tempted to do a non-random draw for Pick 1 as well to really mess with people :P
    Thats me at pick 20 for round 1 so.

What would be the consensus on dropping the TNA title as a world title? I guess that there was a stage where, in an IWC sense, it would have been considered a "top" title and I think there's enough people with the title that we'd want it spread out a bit.

I still think its a world title, or at least it was. Id be happy to leave it in but dont really mind.
    So far, MNG is the only former winner whose let it be known he wants back in. The sign up thread will go up in 35 minutes, 20 places for grabs. Excited now.

Good luck guys.

Hello again, folks.

I know haven't been around much the past six months as I had some stressful stuff to contend with and, well, I just wanted a break. But I'd just like to state that yes I would like to throw my hat in and defend my title once more. I think I have been entered automatically for this year's game but I just thought I'd make it known in case people were understandably unsure.

Let the rest of the promotions know we at Monday Night Grappling aren't planning on a retirement. We are eager to land top ratings for a fourth year in a row!

(PS many thanks to those who expressed kind sentiments in my little hiatus. Much appreciated.)

Great to have you back. Wont be the same if someone else won without beating you.

That being said, lets fight! :mad::pac:

Just remembered Waltersobchek closed his account. One of the better draft competitors over the years wont be taking part this year. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Uncle Walt

I guess I'm "technically" back in it! I closed my account because of a lack of time, insanely hectic work life, etc etc etc, but then realized about the draft, so signed back up to boards in the summer for it! I'm excited for this lads, my favourite time of the year!

Uncle Walt wrote: »
    I guess I'm "technically" back in it! I closed my account because of a lack of time, insanely hectic work life, etc etc etc, but then realized about the draft, so signed back up to boards in the summer for it! I'm excited for this lads, my favourite time of the year!

This a Christmas New Year Miracle.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Uncle Walt wrote: »
    Only a quick word of advise; you need 50 posts to be allowed to post links & pictures. Not recommending you go spamming every thread but spending a weekend arguing in AH or similar active thread forum may be worth considering ;).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Uncle Walt

I'm beyond excited for this years draft lads, especially since its so far all the same guys as last year, and as last year was such a spectacular draft, easily the best that I've personally been apart of throughout the years. So I'm genuinely expecting a lot of good stuff this year.. As for those dastardly young pups in MNG and BWA....

Advertisement