Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

Went out with the youths again today, cracking to see them coming on so much... would normally only ride the route with this group and had 14 PBs today

was a little late after a diversion and had to burn myself to catch the group but made top 10 on segment doing so, tbh I wasn't pushing that hard because I knew where I'd catch them a few min later so gonna kill myself to try make the top 5 on it someday.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭PrismES

61Km today via Cruagh Rd, Featherbeds, Sally Gap, Manor Kilbride home via N81.
    Blissful sunshine all the way up to the gap, however it disappeared when needed most on the descent to Manor Kilbride.
    Its great to get weather like today in mid October.

61km, 24.8kph and 805m climbed.
    http://www.strava.com/activities/206436575

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

105km today via Cruagh Road, Kippure Mast (for the first time!), Sally Gap, Roundwood, Laragh, Sally Gap, Manor Kilbride, Tallaght. 1659 climbing at 24.6 km average.

Capped a nice week managing to get out every day since Monday for 30k min.

http://www.strava.com/activities/206556006

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Almost had a clipless moment today today...my shoe got completely stuck to the pedal :eek:. managed to get the other foot out just in time.

Brought it into Bolton Cycles, the guy there got it off with a screwdriver and put a new screw in..wouldn't take a penny either, gentleman!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

Not today but went for a 44K cycle last night Finglas > Ashbourne > Rathoath > Fairyhouse > Clonee > Mulhuddart and home. Really enjoyed it but defo need to invest in brighter lights as was pitch black lol

• Advertisement

Nipped out at 5.30 on the button for 33k out the coast road to Killiney Hill and back to Ranelagh. Stiff enough headwind on the way out which was more than repaid on the way back with my first top 20 segment on Strava :-D. Got a PB on Killiney Hill too so a worthwhile evening to get out despite the bit of rain!

http://www.strava.com/activities/207309564/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

colm18 wrote: »
    Almost had a clipless moment today today...my shoe got completely stuck to the pedal :eek:. managed to get the other foot out just in time.

Brought it into Bolton Cycles, the guy there got it off with a screwdriver and put a new screw in..wouldn't take a penny either, gentleman!

Bolton is our LBS. Awesome little shop, excuse the hyperbole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Managed to knock out 37.4 ish KM today commuting. Work and messing around with cars curtailed my cycling/commuting of late.

It was dark, wet and miserable this morning. I sort of enjoy that though! I'm probably in the minority. :o

The long summer spins were great but commuting or cycling in horrendous conditions just has "something"

It's an enjoyable challenge, in it's own way.

Soon it will not be about the speed, the PR's or distance but pulling back the curtains in the morning and deciding.... fuk it, I'll give it a lash.

On a side note, if anyone is considering ordering winter gear from foreign lands, order in your normal size. Summer kit, size up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Finished work early today and got home intending to have a spin but the torrential rain hit so I said feck it, I may as well give this Turbo trainer thingy a go. I have genuinely never been on one before. 10 minutes later I had "Sufferfest- Fight Club" running and away I went.

Fúck me pink boys, that's a hell of a work out!!! It was enjoyable in a kind of perverse way. No substitute for being out on the road but definitely something to do on a miserable evening. Happy out:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

usually commute to work and back - 45 km.

On the way home, came up to this guy on a road bike and office attire who decided that he wanted to race me into the city. Was traveling from Foxrock church to RTE - me on the cycle lane and him on the road.

I was not having any of it. So I stayed a few metres behind him and cycled at my own pace. He kept looking over his shoulder.
    Eventually I had enough and decided that I would pass him out at RTE. As I speeded up to pass him out, he decided to speed up as well. The two of us cycling side by side. The moron would not allow me to pass. I looked over at him and the big stupid grin on him. So fu(king dangerous. I pulled by brakes, pulled in behind him and allowed him to put a bit of distance between us. He still kept looking over his shoulder.

Came behind him again at Donnybrook church. As soon as the lights turned green, I just went for it. Never looked over my shoulder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,040 ✭✭✭✭neris

Dont know if I was cursed or lucky tonight going for a quick spin up around Howth. Set out in dryish weather but less then 10 minutes from home my back light fitting decided it wanted out and parted from the bike. found the light but no bracket. managed to shove the light between the saddle and bag and carried on up & over the summit. passed Sutton cross on the way home but shortly after the train line I thought I could feel my back wheel slipping. thought it might just have been the wet road surface but when I got home and checked the back wheel skewer had managed to loosen itself and the wheel just dropped straight out. Was only in the door 5 minutes and was a heavy shower of rain which I was glad to miss

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

Dragged my ass out this evening despite the downpours. I have really enjoyed cycling this Summer and all the easy opportunities to get out, so I really want to keep going thru the sh1te weather. So Donabate R132, Nags Head, Ballyboughal, Swords, Portrane & Home. 45k 25kpm. Soaked, covered in muck, rain gear not rainproof, shoes squelching. Loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.... Soaked, covered in muck, rain gear not rainproof, shoes squelching. Loved it.
    The big difference yesterday was that it was exceptionally mild. Being soaked through when it's 2 degrees outside and you've still many miles to go, can be utterly miserable.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

The big difference yesterday was that it was exceptionally mild. Being soaked through when it's 2 degrees outside and you've still many miles to go, can be utterly miserable.

Can also sap the motivation to go out if you know thats what you have to face!

This morning was wet but mild. Given the time of the day I'm in full winter gear and I was roasting. May need to break out the autumn gear again.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

Totally - I didn't even realise how wet the gear was because there was no chill. no qualms about going out again in that weather.

Totally - I didn't even realise how wet the gear was because there was no chill. no qualms about going out again in that weather.

I really enjoyed the 30 I did last night, the rain was refreshing heading up Cruagh!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

A split second away from getting truly malleted by a door.

Going by the Teresian school on the n11, a few cars in a Q to turn in.. passenger opens the door and literally managed to get around it :mad::mad:
    There were some seriously angry words

• Registered Users Posts: 9,127 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I tried Kilmashogue for the second time ever today. The first time, back in August, I put my foot down twice to compose myself. Today I remembered what was around the next corner, paced myself accordingly, and made it all the way up without stopping. An improvement, but definitely no prizes for speed :p A sheep stopped chawing and stood watching me on the final ramp, probably thinking humans are strange creatures.

The road was damp from the drizzle, with plant matter in places, so I took it handy on the way down. Passed a guy on his way up, just before I reached the Wicklow Way. I tried to be encouraging and told him he was nearly there, but looking at the map now, he'd a fair bit to go :o From there I went up Cruagh and down Stocking. Reasonably dry today, just the odd sporadic drizzle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

I tried Kilmashogue for the second time ever today.

Would you mind posting the co-ordinates at the very top? I can't see from Google Maps which road represents the climb you refer to and I'd like to give it a go as I'm based in Stillorgan but new to road cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,127 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

BenEadir wrote: »
    Would you mind posting the co-ordinates at the very top? I can't see from Google Maps which road represents the climb you refer to and I'd like to give it a go as I'm based in Stillorgan but new to road cycling.
    Sure, here it is on Strava and Google. Have fun :)

• Advertisement

Thanks Rob.

So you head up as far as those gates in the street view and that's the summit?

It's 11km from my house so should be a nice warm up spin for the first 8km and then torture but it looks like I might be able to freewheel all the way home!!!

So bearing in mind I'm on a road bike not a MTB is this #1 the route to take 25qsms2.jpg

or is this #2 the route to take? 2gvqw00.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Head across to Rathfarnham and turn left at The Yellow House pub. Then veer left at The Tuning Fork pub onto the Whitechurch Road. Stay on that road until it goes under the M50 and you reach a small roundabout. Kilmashogue Lane is the first exit on the roundabout with a Cul de Sac sign.

Then brace yourself! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Puggy

Waiting to turn left this morning at red traffic lights. There was a left turning car behind me, so I was paying attention to move off swiftly when the lights changed.

As the lights changed and I moved off, glancing over my sholder, imagine my surprise as another cyclist pi$$ed past me, also turning left, and clipped my front wheel and knocking me out into the traffic. He didn't bat an eye lid when I politely asked him would he take more care when moving past other cyclists. Don't know why I bothered, he just didn't give a damn.

Didn't see much of him as he just sailed through every red light.

It must be great to be so invulnerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

So bearing in mind I'm on a road bike not a MTB is this #1 the route to take

or is this #2 the route to take?

It's number 1, unless you're a trout as number 2 is a river ;)

Close by are Ticknock (to the mast at 3-Rock) and Cruagh which are enough to test the legs before you tackle the hell of Kilmashogue!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭BremoreDave

Took a spin out to Swords , felt uphill all the eay due to the headwind , but carried on out to Portmarnock and then back to Balbriggan. Just shy of 60k but a very slow 23kph.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Arranged to pick up a jacket from a boardsie, so used it as an excuse to cycle today. Glasnevin - Carrickmines - Stepaside and bike.

Not used to the Southside so had to stop to check my directions a bit on the way out and I'm not used to hills. Got chatting to a guy on the way back but didn't realise he was no longer behind me as I got to Dundrum. Even got a beep and a boards shout.

Just shy of 49 km, but hillier than I'm used to and headwinds were tough at times, though still better than crosswinds I think

cjt156 wrote: »
    It's number 1, unless you're a trout as number 2 is a river ;)

Close by are Ticknock (to the mast at 3-Rock) and Cruagh which are enough to test the legs before you tackle the hell of Kilmashogue!

Oops, thanks for the clarification. Appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Jesus the wind. It's been a few months since I've been out in wind that strong. I struggled most of the spin and just put it down to the wind. I had to work hard to keep up with my buddy - even on downhills with the wind behind us. Usually we keep together quite easily.

When I got home and was wheeling the bike indoors, I noticed the rear wheel was buckled and the rim was dragging the brake so much that the rear wheel locked and skidded. On closer inspection I discovered a broken spoke :mad: But at least it explains the struggle! How I didn't cop this earlier is beyond me.

Anyway, 74km @ 23.7km/h, 550m.

I've never broken a spoke before - how common is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

crosstownk wrote: »
    Jesus the wind. It's been a few months since I've been out in wind that strong. I struggled most of the spin and just put it down to the wind. I had to work hard to keep up with my buddy - even on downhills with the wind behind us. Usually we keep together quite easily.

When I got home and was wheeling the bike indoors, I noticed the rear wheel was buckled and the rim was dragging the brake so much that the rear wheel locked and skidded. On closer inspection I discovered a broken spoke :mad: But at least it explains the struggle! How I didn't cop this earlier is beyond me.

Anyway, 74km @ 23.7km/h, 550m.

I've never broken a spoke before - how common is it?

shocking wind today and i broke 2 spokes and noticed a loose one

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement