Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 Free Agency

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Breaking News: Johnson is actually released!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Texans East sign Justin Forsett on a one year deal

5' 10" 194lbs he is a smaller type of back

It's fairly certain Ray Rice will get a suspension so it's cheap cover

Though Forsett needs to make the team first and must beat out Cierre Wood. If you never heard of Wood he's a young back who got cut by the Texans for smoking drugs in the team hotel last season. Went to the Patriots practice squad for a few weeks, got cut and was then snapped up by Baltimore

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

In non Chris Johnson news:

Mike Garafolo ‏@MikeGarafolo 33s
    Champ Bailey's agent confirms he's reached agreement on a two-year deal with the Saints, as @MikeTriplett reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

fairly surprising that someone would give him a 2 year deal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

phatkev wrote: »
    fairly surprising that someone would give him a 2 year deal
    I'm not - its a 2 year $7million deal - Champ played hurt last year and will contribute. He is capable of playing safety, has great instincts and is a top class open field tackler. When playing CB for the Broncos he was consistently very good in run support. He will also do a job as a third CB. I think this is a great spot for Bailey and a good signing for the Saints. And I will be rooting for the Saints if the Broncos don't get to the SB. There isn't another active NFL player that deserves a ring more than Bailey.

• Advertisement

I'm not - its a 2 year $7million deal - Champ played hurt last year and will contribute. He is capable of playing safety, has great instincts and is a top class open field tackler. When playing CB for the Broncos he was consistently very good in run support. He will also do a job as a third CB. I think this is a great spot for Bailey and a good signing for the Saints. And I will be rooting for the Saints if the Broncos don't get to the SB. There isn't another active NFL player that deserves a ring more than Bailey.

I just think its a pretty big gamble for a 35 year old player thats coming back for injury and a poor 2013 campaign. Sure playing him at safety could prolong his career a couple of years but at this moment in time the Saints need him to be a major contributor at CB, a position he’s just too old to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

phatkev wrote: »
    at this moment in time the Saints need him to be a major contributor at CB, a position he’s just too old to play.
    I think next season will show that Bailey is still capable of playing CB. Bailey is the consummate professional - he is they type of individual that would retire if he was unable to contribute. The fact the he signed a two year deal indicates to me that Bailey feels he is fully recovered from his injury (He suffered a lisfranc injury - he came back too soon after Harris was injured to try and help the Broncos and played in constant pain) and he will view he can do the job. Now - the proviso is that when CBs decline then they tend to do so rapidly - but last season Bailey played hurt, his poor form (and he did play well at times) was all injury related. Bailey does not have the same coverage speed as he had in his prime - but he is an exceptionally smart player and is a very positive influence in the locker room. I suspect that Saints fans will be surprised at the level of contribution they will receive from Bailey. I would have been quite happy to see the Broncos pay him the same contract that he got from the Saints.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

The Bears add Brian De La Puente on a minimum deal. I like him and think that's a great deal for the Bears, but with Garza already there as the starter I'm surprised that another team looking for a starting C didn't fancy giving him a shot and it seems like there was little interest in him.

PFF rank him as the 5th best C over the last three seasons behind only Sullivan, Mangold, Myers and Mack.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

There was talk of the Giants chasing him early on in Free Agency, but for whatever reason, it never transpired. You would assume it was salary reasons, but it might be interesting to check out the numbers of the deal.

Knex. wrote: »
    There was talk of the Giants chasing him early on in Free Agency, but for whatever reason, it never transpired. You would assume it was salary reasons, but it might be interesting to check out the numbers of the deal.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000339678/article/brian-de-la-puente-chicago-bears-agree-to-contract
    According to the Chicago Tribune, the one-year deal is for the minimum veteran salary, with a $65,000 signing bonus and $100,000 base salary guaranteed.

Seems like an absolute bargain. I wonder if the Bears have some sort of gentlemans agreement that they'll sign him up for a certain amount to replace Garza next season?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Paully D wrote: »
    The Bears add Brian De La Puente on a minimum deal. I like him and think that's a great deal for the Bears, but with Garza already there as the starter I'm surprised that another team looking for a starting C didn't fancy giving him a shot and it seems like there was little interest in him.

PFF rank him as the 5th best C over the last three seasons behind only Sullivan, Mangold, Myers and Mack.

Think its down to very good guard play beside him more than anything, never been that impressed with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

Garza waned badly last year so it makes sense.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

So a coupe of titan rumours...

James Harrison, this has been mentioned since he was released and i think it will happen and theres been a definitive increase in chatter the last few days

and probably the funniest one....

As Chris Johnson hasnt had much/any interest from teams, apparently his agent has been back in touch with the Titans FO on signing back with the team on a reduced deal, now ive only read that on titans sites but my god..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

So a coupe of titan rumours...

James Harrison, this has been mentioned since he was released and i think it will happen and theres been a definitive increase in chatter the last few days

and probably the funniest one....

As Chris Johnson hasnt had much/any interest from teams, apparently his agent has been back in touch with the Titans FO on signing back with the team on a reduced deal, now ive only read that on titans sites but my god..

I'd take him back on a 2 mil per year over 2 years deal.

I'd take him back on a 2 mil per year over 2 years deal.

I think the issue why he wasnt asked to take a paycut at all was because he said he wasnt going to a couple of times in the press .

Also a few of the beat writers then said if he did take a cut he'd likely become a disruptive influence, from a CJ side he said he wanted more carries and not less and Whiz has said he's RB approach is by committee and not one RB becoming the work horse.

On a personal note, blaming your O-line each off season for your bad year is going to cut your stay with any team short, but he'd dug himself into a hole with his comments.

I'll be honest having Run DMC, C2JK, and say Greene all lined up would probably confuse the hell out of defenses i would like to see it but its never going to happen.

c2J is now a bit part player and he needs to realise it

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Brandon Lloyd has signed a 1 year deal with San Francisco....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

To be fair the Titans O-line was woeful last I checked, some crazy amount of contact behind the line for CJ2K and that cannot be lain at his door.

Still think he has plenty to give if he can be properly motivated.

He had a decent run blocking unit this year... He said he'd been injured since week 3, always an excuse.

Doesn't attack the hole and is very hesitant but who knows what a new team could do for him

so Chris Johnson is a Jet, signed on a 2 year deal per @AdamSchefter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Brandon Lloyd has signed a 1 year deal with San Francisco....

I would be surprised if he makes the full roster come August. Last chance saloon for him.

• Advertisement

What do the Jets be thinking half the time... Any details on the contract terms?

Don't suppose they were able to put in a mandatory clause of, "Must not continually leave yards on the field by running away from contact", no?

Sidney Rice stays with the Seahawks, 1 year deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

What do the Jets be thinking half the time... Any details on the contract terms?

Don't suppose they were able to put in a mandatory clause of, "Must not continually leave yards on the field by running away from contact", no?

Honestly, I think this is a good signing by the Jets. I'm assuming they get him on the cheap.

4 million a year for Johnson

Tristram wrote: »
    Honestly, I think this is a good signing by the Jets. I'm assuming they get him on the cheap.

I'm not so sure. I really don't think we'll ever see the CJ2K of old will be back. I've heard many talk about him since his release, and have even watched some tape myself out of interest, and it doesn't make for pretty listening or viewing.

It appears the guy doesn't want to know about contact anymore. Just simply doesn't want anything to do with it, and its costs him yards. If he can't steel the edge and get upfield, he's not happy.

Perhaps Heli might be able to give some views on him? I've heard a few people go as far as saying that there are a plenty of running backs in the draft who will be more productive than him. Invariably cheaper too.

TO. wrote: »
    I would be surprised if he makes the full roster come August. Last chance saloon for him.

Agreed, certainly in a battle to make the 53 man roster.

None of his contract is guaranteed. The contract is for the veteran minimum of $955,000, with a $50,000 workout bonus.

Perhaps Heli might be able to give some views on him? I've heard a few people go as far as saying that there are a plenty of running backs in the draft who will be more productive than him. Invariably cheaper too.

He's still probably the fastest back around, however in a lot of cases if he doesnt immediately see the space then he hesistates, he doesnt attack the gap like he used to, part of that is down to his lack of faith in blocking.

He is a pretty good check down option on passing and he got 3/4 40+ yard receiving TDs last year.

All in, he still flashes brilliance but i think that deal is too expensive.

Jets visit Nashville this season so that will be interesting to watch

theres a good titan site that did pretty indepth review of a lot of Johnson plays, I'll see if i can dig it out a bit later

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Phil Costa, the centre the colts signed in the offseason has just retired!!! thats us screwed at that position now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Raf32 wrote: »
    Phil Costa, the centre the colts signed in the offseason has just retired!!! thats us screwed at that position now.

He was never going to be a starter, but if Holmes gets hurt we're fcuked.

Advertisement