Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When might Eircom to enable vectoring on their eFibre/VDSL service?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭GIMickey

GLCC wrote: »
    How can somebody tell if the cabinet they are connected has been enabled ?

Ur SNR and attainable download would increase. Ur attainable upload may increase also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

bk wrote: »
    Things are definitely improving, but do remember that so far only 100,000 people have signed up for VDSL so far out if 1.2 million potential Eircom wholesale customers.

Add to that about 350,000 UPC customers and the reality is the vast majority of people (450,000 out of 1.6 million homes) are still on slow ADSL broadband.

So there is a long way to go yet for these figures to be bumped.

They're switching a lot of people though given that it's only been rolling out. It'll take about 24 months to ready bed in.

A lot of people have minimum contracts and a lot of other people have only very recently had access.

Also it's going head to head with UPC in most big urban areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Any further cabinets go live this weekend? I still seem to be unvectored.

Mines going live the 30th but it won't be vectored by then. Current line speed test is 70Mb!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

Anyone know if Ennis is done yet? I got VDSL in the first week it came out and even though I am beside my cabinet and I ordered 70Mb eircom would only sell me 50Mb.

I will upgrade to 100Mb when the vestoring is done. Does this mean a new contract though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

ElNino wrote: »
    Anyone know if Ennis is done yet? I got VDSL in the first week it came out and even though I am beside my cabinet and I ordered 70Mb eircom would only sell me 50Mb.

I will upgrade to 100Mb when the vestoring is done. Does this mean a new contract though?

Being next to the cabinet doesn't necessarily mean that the wiring runs directly from your house to the cabinet though.

If eircom didn't sell you 70mbit/s it seems like you might be on a longer line than you think.

I'd say though you'll see a fairly substantial improvement.

Lot into the router by going to:

192.168.1.254 on your browser.

username : admin
    password : same as your wifi network password printed on the sticker on the back of the modem (unless you've already changed the login password)

Mouse over "system monitor" at the bottom of the screen and click xDSL Statistics and you should be able to see your full modem stats.

Mine for example :

============================================================================
        VDSL Training Status:   Showtime
                        Mode:   VDSL2 Annex B
                VDSL Profile:   Profile 17a
                Traffic Type:   PTM Mode
                 Link Uptime:   0 day: 20 hours: 35 minutes
           VDSL Port Details       Upstream         Downstream
                   Line Rate:     10.297 Mbps       41.116 Mbps
        Actual Net Data Rate:     10.239 Mbps       40.956 Mbps
              Trellis Coding:         ON                ON
                  SNR Margin:       18.1 dB           12.6 dB
                Actual Delay:          4 ms              8 ms
              Transmit Power:        7.4 dBm           9.9 dBm
               Receive Power:      -13.7 dBm          -9.2 dBm
                  Actual INP:        2.0 symbols       3.0 symbols
           Total Attenuation:       21.2 dB           19.1 dB
    Attainable Net Data Rate:     27.321 Mbps       67.916 Mbps
          VDSL Band Status    U0      U1      U2      U3      D1      D2      D3
      Line Attenuation(dB):  5.9    31.0    46.6     N/A    15.6    39.3    61.1   
    Signal Attenuation(dB):  5.9    30.2    46.2     N/A    12.6    39.0    61.2   
            SNR Margin(dB): 18.3    18.2    18.1     N/A    12.6    12.6    12.4   
       Transmit Power(dBm):- 8.0     0.5     6.4     N/A     3.3     7.7     2.3   

If you're pasting them into the forum type you can use the code tags to make them format properly : [code] to start and [ /code] to end (no space).

• Advertisement

Thanks Spacetime. I guess vectoring is enabled on my cabinet?
                 Link Uptime:   49 days: 17 hours: 2 minutes
                   Line Rate:     15.418 Mbps       50.268 Mbps
        Actual Net Data Rate:     15.358 Mbps       50.170 Mbps
                  SNR Margin:       10.1 dB           14.4 dB
              Transmit Power:      -15.2 dBm          13.2 dBm
               Receive Power:      -25.3 dBm           0.7 dBm
           Total Attenuation:       10.3 dB           12.4 dB
    Attainable Net Data Rate:     26.266 Mbps       91.808 Mbps
      Line Attenuation(dB):  2.4    12.5    18.1     N/A     7.5    16.7    25.9   
    Signal Attenuation(dB):  2.4    12.4    17.4     N/A     9.7    16.5    25.9   
            SNR Margin(dB):  9.8    10.2    10.0     N/A    14.4    14.4    14.4   
       Transmit Power(dBm):-25.6   -17.0   -20.6     N/A     9.9     7.9     7.0   

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Does any know when the providers (Vodafone, Eircom, Digiweb, Magnet etc.) will start advertising the vectored speeds? IE up to 100Mb. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭airuser

Does any know when the providers (Vodafone, Eircom, Digiweb, Magnet etc.) will start advertising the vectored speeds? IE up to 100Mb. Thanks.

I believe that this is being rolled out Exchange by Exchange but I do not think it will be advertised as an upgrade.

airuser wrote: »
    I believe that this is being rolled out Exchange by Exchange but I do not think it will be advertised as an upgrade.

Ah. I'm just wondering, like the way they advertise now as "Up to 70" when'll they begin advertising "Up to 100"?

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Manc Red

Ah. I'm just wondering, like the way they advertise now as "Up to 70" when'll they begin advertising "Up to 100"?

Magnet already do - http://www.magnet.ie/products/fatpipe-100/

I'd imagine eircom will be sometime this or next week.

• Advertisement

I know what you mean. Where I live the advertise "up to" is 70. However, when one investigates, max 50. But using the percentage between the what "upto " speed and what I would receive 37.5. Based on the figures receiving now. So "up to" makes me laugh. A friend has a cabinet at his door 30metres away. His speed is 47.5 on up to 70. Now that is without vectoring.

We all live in hope
    "

Manc Red wrote: »

Must say thanks for that link. They may suit my needs. Cheers
    Airuser

Manc Red wrote: »

Apparently I can get 100Mb... wonder what I'd actually get though.
    I really hope the cabinet 400m-ish away is the one I'm connected to. :/

What I did was to see the speeds I am getting now. Use that % to give me the speed I may get.

Go to the Eircom site put in ones details. The speed they believe you may get is there. Then do the maths. So if your are getting suppose 24m now and actual is 12 m then up to 70m on Fibre. I believe actual would be 35. Well, that is the way I think. Some genius out there will say I am wrong.

What I did was to see the speeds I am getting now. Use that % to give me the speed I may get.

Go to the Eircom site put in ones details. The speed they believe you may get is there. Then do the maths. So if your are getting suppose 24m now and actual is 12 m then up to 70m on Fibre. I believe actual would be 35. Well, that is the way I think. Some genius out there will say I am wrong.

I don't really understand. I am getting 10Mb out of an apparent 12Mb line, before I was able to get a steady 16Mb but for whatever reason Sky said it was no longer possible. I can apparently get 43Mb out of 70Mb now that I remember.

I don't really understand. I am getting 10Mb out of an apparent 12Mb line, before I was able to get a steady 16Mb but for whatever reason Sky said it was no longer possible. I can apparently get 43Mb out of 70Mb now that I remember.

Alan181824,
    Happened to me. For a couple of days my speeds went up to over 10Mb on a 12Mb line and then dropped back to 8.5Mb and for most of the time has been steady at that.
    Did drop off completely some months ago. Eircom via SKY replace the faceplate all back to normal.8.5Mb.

Really do not know what SKY are playing at, with speeds and fibre. The poor bod on the phone is getting the anger of the user. Management is saying nothing.

Looking at the Magnet link posted looks interesting. Would only be interested in Fibre.

Switching to SKY was painless and everything was up and running as promised. Have not heard anything about Magnet until this evening.

May call them during the week

You are mixing apples and oranges there. The 24Mb is ADSL2 which limited by the distance from your exchange. The 70Mb is VDSL which is limited by the distance from your local cabinet which is going to be a hell of a lot closer than the exchange in most cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭HellboundIRL

There's been very few updates by people regarding vectoring - has anyone else outside of the original areas noticed a change in stats in the past week?

I'm in Loughrea - nothing here so far.

ElNino wrote: »
    You are mixing apples and oranges there. The 24Mb is ADSL2 which limited by the distance from your exchange. The 70Mb is VDSL which is limited by the distance from your local cabinet which is going to be a hell of a lot closer than the exchange in most cases.

EINino

Yes, I know mixing ASDL and VSDL. These a a graph with tells one the drop off of speeds in relation to the distance from the cabinet.
    Have it somewhere, as usual when one needs it cannot put my hand on it.
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Just happened accross this thread and I thought I'd have a quick look at my stats. Max 90ish now, nice.
                 Link Uptime:   19 days: 13 hours: 45 minutes
                  SNR Margin:       12.6 dB           16.1 dB
              Transmit Power:      - 6.4 dBm          12.0 dBm
               Receive Power:      -22.0 dBm          -1.2 dBm
           Total Attenuation:       15.5 dB           13.2 dB
    Attainable Net Data Rate:     27.623 Mbps       94.208 Mbps
      Line Attenuation(dB):  3.7    20.6    32.1     N/A    10.8    26.9    44.3   
    Signal Attenuation(dB):  3.7    19.8    30.7     N/A     8.2    26.7    44.3   
            SNR Margin(dB): 12.6    12.6    12.6     N/A    16.1    16.1    16.0   
       Transmit Power(dBm):-19.3   - 9.9   - 9.6     N/A     6.9     7.9     6.8   

Nate

• Advertisement

http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/2013/chart-bt-fttc-vdsl2-speed-against-distance

This link give the graph on the drop off speed on distance from street cabinet. Hope link works.

Airuser

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Just happened accross this thread and I thought I'd have a quick look at my stats. Max 90ish now, nice.
                 Link Uptime:   19 days: 13 hours: 45 minutes
                  SNR Margin:       12.6 dB           16.1 dB
              Transmit Power:      - 6.4 dBm          12.0 dBm
               Receive Power:      -22.0 dBm          -1.2 dBm
           Total Attenuation:       15.5 dB           13.2 dB
    Attainable Net Data Rate:     27.623 Mbps       94.208 Mbps
      Line Attenuation(dB):  3.7    20.6    32.1     N/A    10.8    26.9    44.3   
    Signal Attenuation(dB):  3.7    19.8    30.7     N/A     8.2    26.7    44.3   
            SNR Margin(dB): 12.6    12.6    12.6     N/A    16.1    16.1    16.0   
       Transmit Power(dBm):-19.3   - 9.9   - 9.6     N/A     6.9     7.9     6.8   

Nate

You're not getting 90Mb, though, you're getting 50Mb. Ask them to bump you to a higher profile because line can handle more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

You're not getting 90Mb, though, you're getting 50Mb. Ask them to bump you to a higher profile because line can handle more.

Yes I understood that. I wonder would I have pay more though? Anybody know what way are they going to package the new speeds?

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Yes I understood that. I wonder would I have pay more though? Anybody know what way are they going to package the new speeds?

Nate

No extra cost. Just ring, ask for tech support and ask to be bumped to the highest profile your stats can handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭sparky63

Here's my stats.

VDSL Training Status: Showtime
    Mode: VDSL2 Annex B
    VDSL Profile: Profile 17a
    Traffic Type: PTM Mode
    Link Uptime: 11 days: 21 hours: 41 minutes
    VDSL Port Details Upstream Downstream
    Line Rate: 20.549 Mbps 51.280 Mbps
    Actual Net Data Rate: 20.479 Mbps 51.197 Mbps
    Trellis Coding: ON ON
    SNR Margin: 8.5 dB 21.9 dB
    Actual Delay: 4 ms 8 ms
    Transmit Power: - 6.9 dBm 14.5 dBm
    Receive Power: -22.2 dBm 0.3 dBm
    Actual INP: 2.0 symbols 3.0 symbols
    Total Attenuation: 15.2 dB 14.7 dB
    Attainable Net Data Rate: 28.808 Mbps 111.668 Mbps

Max attainable rate has gone up by about 25 Mbps in the last couple of weeks to 111.668 Mbps.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Some of the attainable rates at the given attenuations are pretty great.

Anyone know if Vectoring has been enabled in Carlow yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

10860 premises in Carlow capable of receiving 100Mb/s per eircom wholesale link - must be vectored.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭BowWow

Some of the attainable rates at the given attenuations are pretty great.

VDSL Training Status: Showtime
    Mode: VDSL2 Annex B
    VDSL Profile: Profile 17a
    Traffic Type: PTM Mode
    Link Uptime: 12 days: 14 hours: 33 minutes
    VDSL Port Details Upstream Downstream
    Line Rate: 15.418 Mbps 50.268 Mbps
    Actual Net Data Rate: 15.358 Mbps 50.170 Mbps
    Trellis Coding: ON ON
    SNR Margin: 14.0 dB 24.1 dB
    Actual Delay: 4 ms 8 ms
    Transmit Power: -13.2 dBm 13.1 dBm
    Receive Power: -24.7 dBm -1.2 dBm
    Actual INP: 2.0 symbols 3.0 symbols
    Total Attenuation: 11.4 dB 14.4 dB
    Attainable Net Data Rate: 29.660 Mbps 119.332 Mbps

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 trister

Anyone know if G.Vectoring has been enabled in Ballsbridge? Cabinet is located at the intersection of Lansdowne Road and Shelbourne Road.

Unfortunately I have a Technicolour TG598vn router, supplied by Magnet and can't find a way to display the Max Attainable Up and Down Speed, looks like it is not possible.

Advertisement