Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battlefield 4 [aaaarrrghhh bitching and moaning]

Options
  • 11-11-2013 1:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭

Haven't seen this here yet so lets kick it off,

This isn't to bitch and moan about technical problems with the game or anything like that just general things in game that annoy you.

Zavod 311 on TDM is the single handed stupidest map I have come by. Two buildings with only one way to the very top each that can be blocked by an indestructible hatch that cant be opened from underneath!!!! A group of reacons on top with spawn beacons and they just stay up there and have a great view of 90% of the map its just silly.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I still hate rush mode. It's just a giant cluster fk from start to finish and coupled with an unending tide of sniper pussies and mortards it becomes an exercise in futility. I like the idea of it, it's just that in practice, it's a pain in the arse and no fun for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Mad_Dave

Yesterday played a game on PS3 where we had two squads of 5 and I was left in a squad of 2. Not sure why they changed it, but it made for a really boring experience. Firstly I almost never had the chance to spawn near the action, and secondly team chat is gone so I could only talk to one person. Of course that means if I get into a vehicle with someone from another squad there's no way to communicate with the driver/gunner.

Why in a game that depends so much on teamwork would they make it more difficult to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭chickenboy

Commander mode is.....pointless? Well probably not, but it's not the most exciting thing in the world. I was on a team getting destroyed playing rush on flood (defending). I'd already resigned myself to losing, so I decided to give commander a shot. I then proceeded to spend the next 5 minutes spamming UAVs and EMPs. Surprisingly, once I started, the tides turned and we actually held the last M-COM, so maybe it was of some use to the team. Even so, I'd still have no reason to want to do it again though; it felt like a flash game on the internet that'd you'd play for 2 minutes and then instantly forget about.

Am I right in thinking that once you choose to be commander, you're stuck there unless you leave the server, even when the round ends? Also, I was lead to believe there'd be cruise missiles?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

chickenboy wrote: »
    Commander mode is.....pointless? Well probably not, but it's not the most exciting thing in the world. I was on a team getting destroyed playing rush on flood (defending). I'd already resigned myself to losing, so I decided to give commander a shot. I then proceeded to spend the next 5 minutes spamming UAVs and EMPs. Surprisingly, once I started, the tides turned and we actually held the last M-COM, so maybe it was of some use to the team. Even so, I'd still have no reason to want to do it again though; it felt like a flash game on the internet that'd you'd play for 2 minutes and then instantly forget about.

Am I right in thinking that once you choose to be commander, you're stuck there unless you leave the server, even when the round ends? Also, I was lead to believe there'd be cruise missiles?

Yea commander slot is a slot on the server so if you choose it the game won't keep a second slot free for you it will let someone else into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭big_heart_on

Only started playing BF4 and my first impressions werent great. I loved Battlefield up to 2 (550 hours), 3 I didnt play much at all and I think 4 will be the same.

My first few days playing were about spawn camping vehicles and snipers, circle of death choppers and team stacking. Much of that seems to be down to which server/gamemode youre playing on, but on first impressions the maps are smaller and more bottlenecked than the older Battlefields making it more of a problem for me.

Might grow on me but not too impressed so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Is it just me, or have scout helos been given an exceptionally high amount of armour? On paracel last night I hit the same scout with three stingers in the space of 90 seconds (yes, they hit, I saw the hit marker and the damage report) and it refused to die (and then of course I got waxed by someone that my teammates should have been busily defending me from - what's the point of playing a support class like engineer if you get into the vicious cycle of PinnedDownByChopper-Can'tShootChopperBecauseYouWon'tCoverMe-Can'tCoverYouBecauseOfTheChopper-OhFeckOffSo?).

The Ilga might have more wallop than the stinger, but you can't hang around painting the target with the ilga or you get waxed even faster. It's getting to the stage where if the map has no AA vehicles and does have choppers and a pilot who doesn't fly sideways into the ground; then you might as well just quit and go to another server because otherwise, it's just spawn-die-spawn-die for the remainder of the tickets.

And on that (a thread about moaning and bitching running on? Say it ain't so Joe!) tangent, if you can't fly a helo in the game, please go learn on the test range first. There's nothing quite so irritating as taking the precious few hours you get on the weekend when you have young kids, going to play some bf4 instead of the dozen other things you need that time for, getting in the helo in Flood several times over in order to clean the cheapass snipers off the rooftops only to have the pilot fly you into the ground, the buildings, or just off the map and get lost trying to return, all the while yammering on in chat like a certain BFF episode about how he's "learning". I mean, yay for learning, but bleep the bleep off and bleeping learn on the test range and your own time, that's what its for. FFS.

(all that said, I c4'd a tank, an LAV and a sniper who thought nobody was around while on one of the supports in Rogue Transmission last night and that rocked :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Sparks wrote: »
    Is it just me, or have scout helos been given an exceptionally high amount of armour? On paracel last night I hit the same scout with three stingers in the space of 90 seconds (yes, they hit, I saw the hit marker and the damage report) and it refused to die (and then of course I got waxed by someone that my teammates should have been busily defending me from - what's the point of playing a support class like engineer if you get into the vicious cycle of PinnedDownByChopper-Can'tShootChopperBecauseYouWon'tCoverMe-Can'tCoverYouBecauseOfTheChopper-OhFeckOffSo?).

Two Stinger shots = 90 Damage. Then there is that perk with the super fast repair when in critical state. So third shot is 45 off 100=55. Annoying I know, happened to me a few times.

To me, the Stinger and Igla are there for the mobility hit. They make it easy for anything else(chopper, plane, AA-Tank) to take down the target as it sits there like a dead duck. I'm not a big fan of the Igla myself, too much time to use compared to the Stinger and not enough range or damage to compensate for that. I've turned maps around with a single stinger, changing air dominance with a couple of shots.

Well, that makes distressing sense :(

Basicly, the stinger's useless unless you have teamwork going on.
    And the field upgrades are pretty useless unless you work as a team.
    And most of the maps are impossible to win unless you work as a team.

And all this in a game where teamwork seems to be about four steps beyond 90% of the players, where inter-squad comms is impossible and intra-squad comms is rare (seriously, I've yet to see a BF4 game in person where the players communicated) :(

/sigh

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

And all this in a game where teamwork seems to be about four steps beyond 90% of the players, where inter-squad comms is impossible and intra-squad comms is rare (seriously, I've yet to see a BF4 game in person where the players communicated) :(

/sigh

Get on a teamspeak with a bunch of lads dude, teamwork is waaaaaay better then!

I've tried - every time I show up on an At0m or Gaellords or Celts server, there's basicly just me in TS.

Besides, effective teamwork means learning to work as a team, which means more time and effort learning to play and practicing to play, and pretty soon you start to grok why popcap make so much money off parents :D

• Advertisement

Also, take your logic and feck it off out of the bitching and moaning thread! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭chickenboy

Also, if you have an engineer sitting in the chopper, you can get it back to full health before a second missile has the time to hit. I managed to repair about four or five hits on the trot; in the end it took three guys with stingers working together to bring us down!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

First line tbf
    NOVEMBER 6TH, 2013 IN RUMORS

EDIT: Clearly the game was somewhat rushed but I can't imagine its to the level that is suggested in the article.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It should be that you can only fix helicopters when landed, or else introduce a repairable/non-repairable health meter that means the more damage you take, the less you can repair over time (eg, if a stinger hit takes 45 health off, only 20 of that can be repaired and so on). It's ridiculous that you can fire all of your stinger rounds at the same helicopter and it still won't go down.

Well, you used to be able to repair in the air in BF3 and it didn't ruin the gameplay - the stingers and ilgas just had more wallop (or the helos less armour).

Also, it got mentioned on the chat thread but my current pet peeve (since I've spent a fair few years writing network code for a living):
    Ah to feck.
    Look folks, unless you have access to the BF4 source code, you really can't be sure that whatever's causing your problem is down to netcode (and "netcode" isn't even a word for pete's sake). It could be any one of a hundred things, from stuff on your own PC (if, like me, your rig isn't an Origin special costing more than my car is worth) to stuff on your local network (nice router, did it come free with a box of corn flakes?) to stuff on your ISP's network to stuff on the internet backbone, to stuff on the server's ISP's network to stuff on the server's local network to stuff on the other player's ISP's network to stuff on the other player's local network to stuff on the other player's PC. Sure, it could also be the network stack in BF4, but there are so many different possible causes that it just looks silly when you see people in chat on these games talking about how it's definitely the "netcode" and how DICE made a mess of things and so on.

I mean, how many of those players even know what language the "netcode" is written in or would be able to read it if they saw it?

C'mon lads...
    Sparks wrote:
    (This is really more of a bitching session than a complaint btw. So defend your engineers, don't run around corners, aim for the head, stop complaining about netcode, and GET OFF MY LAWN :p )

Well, you used to be able to repair in the air in BF3 and it didn't ruin the gameplay - the stingers and ilgas just had more wallop (or the helos less armour).

Also, it got mentioned on the chat thread but my current pet peeve (since I've spent a fair few years writing network code for a living):

I have no issue with the repair in the air myself, its been that way since BC2 afair. Its the fact that free fire RPGs, Stingers and Iglas all take off around 20-30. In old games a free fire rocket was a down in one. Now even if youre skilled enough to hit one like that, its not :/

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Just had horrible 2 games on Celts. Freaking everything would kill me, even inanimate objects ffs. Had so many bull**** moments too. Then after another stupid death game froze... I flipped and threw my keyboard...

There are good days in battlefield and there are bad ones, today was a bad one.

Did they patch the abiltiy to make squads in the menu/ server queue in PC yet?

Been playing shocking the last week. I think i've just grown too used to C4 as my primary weapon. I'm currently trying to rank up all of the classes

@Sparks, add me on Battlelog: TheKtulu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

im not going to pretend i know about net code or anything like that but im sick of companies charging you to play there extended beta ! and the control scheme for battlefield on game pads are turned on its head

fergus1001 wrote: »
    im not going to pretend i know about net code or anything like that but im sick of companies charging you to play there extended beta ! and the control scheme for battlefield on game pads are turned on its head

The actual Battlefield betas are a complete waste of time anyway (as a "beta").

• Registered Users Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

The actual Battlefield betas are a complete waste of time anyway (as a "beta").

http://blogs.battlefield.com/2013/10/thanks-for-bf4-beta-feedback/

Big list of things fixed during the beta !

If there was anything I'd bitch and moan about with the company itself, it'd be that this is the second time in a row that I've paid for the pre-release and not gotten what I paid for. The first time, I didn't get the advertised entry into the BF3 beta; this time, I didn't even get to pre-load the game until well after the North American release, and it was nearly a week later before we got to play it in Europe. What's the point of a preorder if that's how it's going to be released?

I'm not in the mood for another big debate/argument :D

My reasons for saying the BF beta was a waste of time:
    • The beta build was apparently months old, which meant that fixes to some of the bugs were already in place (possibly).
    • Only one map. Not much good when it comes to ensuring the game is bug free (which is the point of a beta).
    • The beta was actually more stable for me than the current game (less crashing). Currently Seige of Shanghai causes the server to crashe anytime someone knocks the building at C. This didn't happen in beta.

I just feel like the beta was there just to please people, instead of actually being a beta. Yeah, they might have fixed some bugs that were found in the beta, but they sure as hell created more when they did fix them. :D

Sparks wrote:
    didn't even get to pre-load the game until well after the North American release, and it was nearly a week later before we got to play it in Europe. What's the point of a preorder if that's how it's going to be released?

Nothing to do with EA/DICE, the stores here in Uk/Ireland have always released new games on a Friday whereas its a Tuesday in the states. No idea why they are sticking with this situation though. Probably has to do with trying to compete with digital distribution

ktulu123 wrote: »
    Nothing to do with EA/DICE
    Ah, no, hang on - they're releasing via Origin (and that's where I bought it on both occasions), they're not tied to any times or deadlines or regions by any technical limitation, so it's a purely commercial decision on their part. So I'll re-light the auld pitchfork :D

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭tim3000

I hate the fact that you cant have 6 mines until the squad bar is full. This means that if you are getting steam rolled by the enemy you cant at least defend multiple approaches to an objective with your mines and run and gun. Anyone else notice that attack helis and jets are very rare? They only spawn on one or two maps in rush. Which is no harm I suppose nothing worse than chopper rape.

I hate how the vehicles control really wish they had let it alone. I was playing in Lancang dam and had driven a tank behind an enemy tank but no matter which way I turned the stick I couldn,t get the tank to go left, very frustrating.

Ah, no, hang on - they're releasing via Origin (and that's where I bought it on both occasions), they're not tied to any times or deadlines or regions by any technical limitation, so it's a purely commercial decision on their part. So I'll re-light the auld pitchfork :D

Good Article on it all here: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-11-23-why-are-we-stuck-with-games-being-released-on-a-friday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

tim3000 wrote: »
    I hate how the vehicles control really wish they had let it alone. I was playing in Lancang dam and had driven a tank behind an enemy tank but no matter which way I turned the stick I couldn,t get the tank to go left, very frustrating.
    You need to go into the options menu and turn off Zoolander mode.

Advertisement