Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy X HD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I was lucky enough to have a weapon for Kimahri which had first strike so I could swap him for Yuna and hope Yojimbo would use zanmato. The extra aeons were great sidequests IMO, especially compared to the likes of Mass Effect and Oblivion.

I enjoyed the quests to get them but I only ever used Anima all that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Has there been any word on a release date for the game? Or an estimate?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

I'd be expecting a release date of November/December.

If not that, then February 2014.

I'd seriously love a PC port of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 zno3

Gbear wrote: »
    I'd seriously love a PC port of this.
    Agree :D

anyway, good story, a bit sad ending tho :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,485 ✭✭✭✭Varik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

They've made Tidus' face really weird and fat looking in this. Everything else looks good but his face looks like a chubby 12 year old's.

Looking at it some more it just seems like they tried to Gacktify him

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

snausages wrote: »
    They've made Tidus' face really weird and fat looking in this. Everything else looks good but his face looks like a chubby 12 year old's.

Looking at it some more it just seems like they tried to Gacktify him

He looks weird because he was designed with a particular polycount. They just divided the polygons making his face smoother. That was not the intention of the person that modelled the character in the first place.

Really dont see the point in these HD remakes...id just play FFX on my PS2. Guess maybe not everyone has or kept their PS2 >_>

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

carbonkid wrote: »
    Really dont see the point in these HD remakes...id just play FFX on my PS2. Guess maybe not everyone has or kept their PS2 >_>

Considering how much of a botch job the PAL version of FFX was I'll be looking forward to this release. I'm not even talking about the Dark Aeons but the slow down and border issues. Poor yuna looks like a chubber in the european version.

I wonder how well this game will live up. It kind of has that linear dungeon annoyance of FFXIII and I remember the battle system becoming tiring during random encounters. Also spoony's review pointed out a lot of issues although I did think he was way too harsh.

He looks weird because he was designed with a particular polycount. They just divided the polygons making his face smoother. That was not the intention of the person that modelled the character in the first place.

In the SD version he has an angular face like a teenager but the HD version looks so weird as to make me not want to play it. Which is a shame for all the reasons Retro mentioned although I'm sure the Dark Aeons will be in this version also.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Considering how much of a botch job the PAL version of FFX was I'll be looking forward to this release.

Was it really a botch job...i remember the voice acting for Tidus not been the best but otherwise a solid game. I dont remember running into any bugs or noticeable long load times.
    It kind of has that linear dungeon annoyance of FFXIII and I remember the battle system becoming tiring during random encounters. Also spoony's review pointed out a lot of issues although I did think he was way too harsh.

FFXIII wasnt the best of the FF games, but dont think it was because it was linear. Like you said FFX was just as linear but loved by most jrpg fans. Personally with XIII, i hadnt a clue what i was doing or where i was going...sure did look pretty though ^_^

XIII's issue was that it was completely railroaded in every respect. X hided its linearity with some diversions and an engrossing story. XIII was a straight line with hardly any NPC interactions. Its story was absurd and made no sense unless you immersed yourself in all this codex BS. The sphere grid in X had some element of progress about it even though it was linear, but XIII had it so you would regularly max out at the end of a stage, everyone played through with teh same party. Plus it had that annoying thing from VI where they don't even allow you to customise your party until several hours in. X gets a pass because of its interesting characters and such but XIII was just grinding to reach a vaguely defined destination point that still made no sense once you got there.

The issue with the PAL version of X is that it's slow and squished. It makes an already slow paced game even slower.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Was it really a botch job...i remember the voice acting for Tidus not been the best but otherwise a solid game. I dont remember running into any bugs or noticeable long load times.

The PAL version was an absolutely shocking conversion. Squaresoft never bothered optimising any of their PAL games even in the PS2 era when they were possibly the only big developer not doing it. It wasn't until Kingdom Hearts 2 that square bothered doing proper PAL conversions and even with that one it ran full screen but at a slower speed, Square made a big song and dance about that at the time. Even up until the PAL version of Persona 4 their games suffered from slowdown which was idiotic considering Sony allowed developers to run their games in NTSC after the Devil May Cray PAL version outcry.

There were no bugs in the game, it was more that that game ran very slowly compared to the NTSC version with borders that really affected the visuals by squashing characters and making them look fatter than they were.
    FFXIII wasnt the best of the FF games, but dont think it was because it was linear. Like you said FFX was just as linear but loved by most jrpg fans. Personally with XIII, i hadnt a clue what i was doing or where i was going...sure did look pretty though ^_^

Well XIII has an awful lot more problems of course :) I just remember getting a bit sick of the combat in random encounters in a few areas and felt some linear sections outstayed their welcome. I would have been far more tolerant of stuff like that back then. It will be interesting to see anyway and nice to get a version that isn't butchered although the Dark Aeons will be back to piss me off.

snausages wrote: »
    In the SD version he has an angular face like a teenager but the HD version looks so weird as to make me not want to play it. Which is a shame for all the reasons Retro mentioned although I'm sure the Dark Aeons will be in this version also.

Its angular because there are less polygons. The ideal situation would be to re-model with the intention to divide the polygons. This involves a lot of work and tampering with the original models. The HD remake just means higher polycount, HD screen size and added lighting effects like ambient occlusion etc. For the most part i think they are trying to keep it to the way it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

In terms of visuals the hair annoys me way more. They don't hold up at a higher resolution since its obvious they were designed with them blurring in mind. They just look like paper cut outs attached to the characters head now.

This looks amazing but I really hate the guitar stuff. Reminds me of that Black Mages/Advent children remix crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

FFX had the best turn based system I've ever played. I always loved it, and to be honest, I preferred it over ATB. I wonder if they'll change anything about the game? Grinding for the luck stat was pretty abysmal, along with Lightning bolt dodging and not to mention going to all the trouble of making insanely strong Dark Aeons plus Penance... and then making them one shot destructible with Yojimbo.

Looking at those graphics, I think the game is at risk of looking a bit too sterilized; as if everything, creatures and all, are made out of a lifeless pliable marble.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

Also god help us all but some of those Minigames in X-2 not to mention the game itself, was/were a real drag.

Lets hope they've fixed the Mascot Garment Bug.
    Despite qualifying for it on two separate occasions, and achieving 100% completion, I have never even laid eyes on the Mascot garment let alone equipped it.

I'm going to go back through FFX-2 with an open mind the next time I play it. I won't think of it as a sequel to FFX but more as a bizarre fan fiction because even though it was silly it was a lot of fun. Also I won't being going in trying to get 100% completion. I can live without it now. Back when I played it I stopped playing when I found I missed loads and couldn't go back to find them again. I'm not as OCD anymore (thank you P&P roleplaying for teaching me the way to properly play WRPGs).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,218 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'm going to go back through FFX-2 with an open mind the next time I play it. I won't think of it as a sequel to FFX but more as a bizarre fan fiction because even though it was silly it was a lot of fun. Also I won't being going in trying to get 100% completion. I can live without it now. Back when I played it I stopped playing when I found I missed loads and couldn't go back to find them again. I'm not as OCD anymore (thank you P&P roleplaying for teaching me the way to properly play WRPGs).

I quite enjoyed FFX-2's battle system though it was the second RPG I ever played (after FFX). The story just killed it for me.
    P&P roleplaying?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

Pen and Paper, the ultimate in nerdy past times. My friend got me into a P&P group a while back and it was a lot of fun. A surprising mix of guys and girls playing. It thought me where RPGs come from and not to play them trying to get the best ending or being super nice. Play a character in character and make the story your own is the way to play WRPGs I found. I thought me to let go as well when it comes to 100% games which was a bad OCD habit I picked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

FFX HD is to be released on the 18th of March 2014. Glad we got a date but it's later than I anticipated unfortunately.

I haven't played this game since 2008 so I've been holding off when I heard of the HD release.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Why oh why could this not be released on the 360 :( I remember buying it on release day and knocked a ridiculous amount of time out of FFX on the PS2 :(:(

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Why oh why could this not be released on the 360 :( I remember buying it on release day and knocked a ridiculous amount of time out of FFX on the PS2 :(:(

That is kinda weird...i assumed it would be released on 360. Must be a licensing agreement with sony, when it was originally released on PS2.

I'd imagine it's more to do with the money Square are investing in it. It's a cheap port that Square can farm out to a third party on the cheap, making a 360 version will add to the expense. The main market for this would be Japan where polls show FFX now to be everyone's favourite FF game. The market for RPG re-issues isn't so big in the West and their biggest JRPG audience would be on PS3 more so than 360. Any license agreements would be well up by this stage.

In other words, Square's bean counters decided more money would be made this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

A friend of my brother had X-2 and I gave it a go for an hour. It didn't motivate me to play further, and a chance to do so didn't present itself. Would likely have chosen something else even if it had. Does it actually get good though?

I was having a lot of fun with it until I realised I couldn't go back and complete quests I left behind which during my OCD 100% completion phase made me rage quit. I'd be much more forgiving of the game now. Just treat it as fan fiction instead of canon because some of it is really stupid. If you can laugh at the stupid you'll have fun.

I just saw that they are remastering the soundtrack which I'm not happy with. They seem to be taking quite a lot of liberties with it as well. I hope you can choose your soundtrack because these remasters aren't the composers original intention and are really just bad cover versions as a result.

Previous FF remasters have allowed that so I don't see why this wouldn't. I don't like the new sound either.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Klair88

yeah the video of the new sound didn't impress me. I loved that soundtrack! Very interested to see the trophies for the game and their requirements.

Also, i absolutely loved FFX. It's my 2nd favourite FF game.. but i never played X-2. I learned long ago that it was a wise choice but i'm tempted to play it now, seeing as i'm getting both on the one disc!

• Advertisement

The battle music there sounds good to me, except the cring-inducingly awful guitar.

When I turned it down a bit so I couldn't really hear the guitar it sounded fine.

With FFVIII released on Steam I'd like to think that means IX, X and X-2 won't be too far behind.

Advertisement