Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy X HD

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Mario007 wrote: »
    You're right there. I think the single biggest mistake of that game was Vaan (and also Penelo).

Rumour has it that Penelo and Vaan being added against Matsuno's wishes was why he abandoned the project.
    carbonkid wrote: »
    Did you actually manage to do everything and get the bonus ending?

I gave up in disgust after I realised that I have missed somethings in previous chapters and had ruined my chances of getting it. Pretty silly reason which is why I want to go back because other than that it was fun if a bit whimsical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Rumour has it that Penelo and Vaan being added against Matsuno's wishes was why he abandoned the project.

Didn't he have breakdown in the middle of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

That makes kinda sense. The game had a far more mature theme. Penelo and Vaan were younger characters sitting better with the previous FFs. I used to always think that vaan was meant to be a blank slate and if Matsuno had his way there would be character creation and everything for the vaan/you more like western rpgs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

megaten wrote: »
    Didn't he have breakdown in the middle of it?

That's squares official stance. Rumours from the development community say that he wasn't happy with the way management were messing around with the development.
    That makes kinda sense. The game had a far more mature theme. Penelo and Vaan were younger characters sitting better with the previous FFs. I used to always think that vaan was meant to be a blank slate and if Matsuno had his way there would be character creation and everything for the vaan/you more like western rpgs.

Matsuno always wanted Balthier and Basch as the main characters.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,244 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Matsuno always wanted Balthier and Basch as the main characters.

Wow, talk about the game that could have been. XII was the second FF I played (after FFX) so I gave it a bit of a hard time. Been watching some clips on youtube and I'd forgotten how many new ideas there were. I did like how the plot was political as opposed to "let's stop villain X".
    But Vaan and Penelo though... Urgh.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

Matsuno really knows how to do a political plot line, pity he never got to finish FFXII. Vagrant Story has one of the best plots of any game and Tactics Ogre is a medieval version of the Balkan war during the 1990's.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,244 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I've been toying with picking up Vagrant Story on the PSN as it happens.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

The 100% ending (though lovely) does not make up for FFX-2

The main reason I strongly dislike FFX-2 is basically what they did to some good characters from FFX.

Lulu was badly written for, Yuna was 95% of the time badly written for, Dona and Barthello were weird, Brother was utterly destroyed as a character and turned into a metrosexual clown who openly fancies his cousin, as in, he openly thinks Yuna is sexy, definitely, and since when did he get so bad at blitz ball!!?

Nooj and Paine could've been great, but Paine sufferes from "we NEED for her to say something in this costume/in this circumstance" even though her character had lots of clangers which would have been better not said

as far as the battle system goes, It's kinda sad that certain dress spheres became useless. Why couldn't you learn all the black magic and white magic in the spheres? instead of needing grids, the grids were needed for other bonuses, you had to seriously nerf yourself if you ever wanted to see Flair or Ultima.

and the cat bell trick with the gunner was ****!!! plain ass boring dungeons. the dungeons from FFX looked better. Blitzball (and brother) was ruined too.

I've been toying with picking up Vagrant Story on the PSN as it happens.

I have it, I can't play it. I'm too **** at it.

Vagrant Stories battle system is very hard to wrapyour head around.

• Advertisement

it's one of those ones where I'm clearly missing something becasue I keep winding up being too weak to function despite as I see it, doing what the game says I should do.
    The only other game I've experienced this on was Unlimited Saga. But I have seen it occur with other people, with other games.
    (once or twice with a final fantasy!, how can you playyourtself into a dead end with a FF?!)
    I'm sure it's something I'm missing like, OH! I should've sharpening my sword all this time, or OH! I should've been selling my loot and not using it as a tampon for Penelo etc.

I always promise I'llsit down and dig in, (as I do with Unlimited Saga) but something new and shiney and less miserable usually comes along.

If you aren't forging really good weapons with different elemental affinities in VS then you're ****ed. Also avoid doing massive combos otherwise your riskgoes through the roof.

that got me alright.

it just looked for the life of me as if the forging was such a side game, they don't really say 'this is a forge, SPEND TIME LEARNING HOW TO DO THIS OR ELSE YOU'LL BE ****ED'

on my first play through I though, 'meh, I'm sure I'll pick up sufficient weapons as I bop along'

meet a boss

etc.

I finished the game without spending much time in the forge. It was a stupid idea but doable if you have good timing. I could get combos as high as 40+ so even though my risk was through the roof and I was only doing 1 HP damage each successful attack was +1 damage so was doing decent damage in the end. I really wouldn't recommend this way, it's a pain in the ass. I'd love to go back and play it properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

I finished the game without spending much time in the forge. It was a stupid idea but doable if you have good timing. I could get combos as high as 40+ so even though my risk was through the roof and I was only doing 1 HP damage each successful attack was +1 damage so was doing decent damage in the end. I really wouldn't recommend this way, it's a pain in the ass. I'd love to go back and play it properly.

I played in the exact same way! Not that i didnt want to use the forge, just that i didnt have a clue how to. Was a wee lad at the time. I picked it up on PSN back when it was released and only now do i fully understand how it all works. I abandoned playing it though. Dont think ill ever get back into it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

I tried to use the forge properly throughout the game, it didn't work out too bad but the battle system is so in depth that you're bound to end up against a battle which ends up being "1, 2, 1, 2.." However return damage worked wonders a lot of the time, except when you don't realise how low your health is and use it instead of reduce damage:o.

Vagrant Story was such a good game, definitely has the best writing and dialogue of any jrpg I've played.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Matsuno really knows how to do a political plot line, pity he never got to finish FFXII. Vagrant Story has one of the best plots of any game and Tactics Ogre is a medieval version of the Balkan war during the 1990's.
    thanks for the reminder retro!!:D

go amazon.co.uk
    clicked buy now orge tactic!!!

i have so much love for FFT and i hope orge tactic is at least as good as FFT! for this christmas i will have Xenoblade to play too :D

and damn how i wish the last story can come for this christmas :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

So there was finally some new details released this week. It'll be released sometime in 2013.

Some comparisons with old and new:

001_tidus_face_800x450_before.jpg

001_tidus_face_800x450_after.jpg

i6ugfOBVJ1Kp1.gif

It'll also come with FF X-2 HD.

I think as well that its the international versions so should have dark aeons.

I kind of hope it doesn't have the dark aeons or at least makes them more optional, they completely ruined the end game for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,223 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I kind of hope it doesn't have the dark aeons or at least makes them more optional, they completely ruined the end game for me.

I have never heard you say that before.

Ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Wonder if they'll fix the lip-syncing for the English language version. That was the only problem I ever had with FFX. Otherwise, tis looking good.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Xevkin

Did Wakka lose an inch of jaw width there? Gorgeous pics by the way.

I wonder how well FFX will live up. I really enjoyed it at the time but it is pretty much as linear as FFXIII and the encounter rate is through the roof in many places. I was getting pretty tired of it during encounter areas after extended periods just like with 13. Would be interesting if it does live up well to see what makes it better than FFXIII.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Xevkin wrote: »
    Did Wakka lose an inch of jaw width there? Gorgeous pics by the way.

pretty sure LuLu went down 2 cup sizes too.
    I wonder how well FFX will live up. I really enjoyed it at the time but it is pretty much as linear as FFXIII and the encounter rate is through the roof in many places. I was getting pretty tired of it during encounter areas after extended periods just like with 13. Would be interesting if it does live up well to see what makes it better than FFXIII.

Blitzball alone will make it worth while :D

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

I just hope i can still enjoy it as much after watching spoonys review. It was funny as hell...but man he points out alot of plot breaking moments i was willing to accept before.
    RedXIV wrote: »
    Blitzball alone will make it worth while :D

What was so great about Blitzball?

What was so great about Blitzball?

It was a fun distraction from the main story without any gigantic flaws (I'm looking at you, triple triad).

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

What was wrong with them?

Couldn't you just avoid them?

I remember Valefor being quite easy.

Ifrit wasn't too bad either.

The rest bate me up and down the gaf.

If you wanted Anima and missed any of the destruction sphere treasures in Besaid or Macalania then you had to deal with Dark Valefor or Dark Shiva. It didn't take much in the way of grinding to beat either of those but you'd make the end of the game far too easy. They'd have been better off being semi-hidden like the weapons in FFVII and FFVIII.
    Dark Aeons and Penance just felt like a lazy way to drag out the game to me. No strategy, just grinding needed to beat them. And the aeons themselves just have some modified code and some palette swapping. No dialogue or lore at all. In fairness you could use Zanmato for the lot which I did for Dark Valefor to get the Besaid treasure but it's still a massive pain in my opinion.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

If you wanted Anima and missed any of the destruction sphere treasures in Besaid or Macalania then you had to deal with Dark Valefor or Dark Shiva. It didn't take much in the way of grinding to beat either of those but you'd make the end of the game far too easy. They'd have been better off being semi-hidden like the weapons in FFVII and FFVIII.
    Dark Aeons and Penance just felt like a lazy way to drag out the game to me. No strategy, just grinding needed to beat them. And the aeons themselves just have some modified code and some palette swapping. No dialogue or lore at all. In fairness you could use Zanmato for the lot which I did for Dark Valefor to get the Besaid treasure but it's still a massive pain in my opinion.

I could seldom survive long enough to get any attacks off with Shiva or the electric Unicorn who's name escapes me.

I could never get Zanmato to work at all. I never used Yojimbo.

They were a bit lazy but after your first playthrough (which was usually a mess and I hadn't figured out most things about the game at that stage anyway so needed another "proper" playthrough) you learned not to miss any destruction spheres and the slobbery Overdrive from Besaid.

• Advertisement

I was lucky enough to have a weapon for Kimahri which had first strike so I could swap him for Yuna and hope Yojimbo would use zanmato. The extra aeons were great sidequests IMO, especially compared to the likes of Mass Effect and Oblivion.

H. H. Asquith

Advertisement