Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you wear an Easter Lily?

Options
  • 19-02-2013 2:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭

Proportionally more Irish died in WW I than perhaps any other nationality fighting for the Allies, than you have the people who fought and died in the 1916 Easter Rising, War of Independence and onwards (UN peacekeepers who lost their lives). Yet a stroll through Ireland coming up to Easter notes the relative absence of wearing the lily to mark our fallen family members and people who died for Ireland. Every country marks such a thing with such a symbol in remembrance and even have national day of remembrance? What about ust, we lack a national holiday ? Do we,the Irish people and government tacitly ignore our histroy?

Has the Civil War, the Troubles ( pro/anti Treaty, paramilitaries etc ) somehow given us a collective amnesia or is it that we prefer to reflect in silence on the anniversary of the Rising? The great tragedy being that, nearly a hundred years later, it is still very ambigous just exactly what people were fighting for? Please can I especially appeal to those who lost family members to discuss whether they wear the Easter Lily or otherwise mark the sad passing of the dead?

Note: The money does not go into 'prisoner funds' or Sinn Féin's pockets, it goes towards preserving graves and memorials for those who died.

Would you wear the Easter Lily? 358 votes

Yes, I believe it is important to remember our dead.
    0% 3 votes
    No
    53% 191 votes
    I am not Irish, so no
    43% 155 votes
    I am not Irish, but I would
    2% 9 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

OCorcrainn wrote: »
    Proportionally more Irish died in WW I than perhaps any other nationality fighting for the Allies, than you have the people who fought and died in the 1916 Easter Rising, War of Independence and onwards (UN peacekeepers who lost their lives). Yet a stroll through Ireland coming up to Easter notes the relative absence of wearing the lily to mark our fallen family members and people who died for Ireland. Every country marks such a thing with such a symbol in remembrance and even have national day of remembrance? What about ust, we lack a national holiday ? Do we,the Irish people and government tacitly ignore our histroy?

Has the Civil War, the Troubles ( pro/anti Treaty, paramilitaries etc ) somehow given us a collective amnesia or is it that we prefer to reflect in silence on the anniversary of the Rising? The great tragedy being that, nearly a hundred years later, it is still very ambigous just exactly what people were fighting for? Please can I especially appeal to those who lost family members to discuss whether they wear the Easter Lily or otherwise mark the sad passing of the dead?

I'll wear it if this topic fucks off and never comes back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I would love to wear one, if the money raised went towards the families and events that support the rising. The money raised at the monent just goes into SF's account ynless I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

It's almost a hundred years ago, as you said.
    It's probably time to move on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I really don't know where people get time to give a f*ck about this nonsense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭OCorcrainn

Sauve wrote: »

It is not just used to commerate 1916, read the rest of the OP and you would have seen that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

BraziliaNZ wrote: »

You have the time to comment on people having the time to give a f*ck about something. They probably got their time in the same place you got yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I voted no and it didn't register!

Feckin Fenians............

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

BraziliaNZ wrote: »

Probably the same place you get your time to come on boards asking where people get their time to give a f*ck about this 'nonsense'

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

OCorcrainn wrote: »

It is not just used to commerate 1916, read the rest of the OP and you would have seen that.

I did read the OP and I'm well aware of what it stands for. My point that I think we should move on still stands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

kfallon wrote: »
    Probably the same place you get your time to come on boards asking where people get their time to give a f*ck about this 'nonsense'

I would comment that I posted the same thing two posts above but I really don't have the time. In fact I have so little time that I shall finish ending this sentence and then stop posting.

toodles

luv ya byeeee!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Odysseus wrote: »
    I would love to wear one, if the money raised went towards the families and events that support the rising. The money raised at the monent just goes into SF's account ynless I'm wrong.

You are wrong. It mostly goes to the upkeep of republican graves and memorials such as those in Glasnevin Cemetery.
    Just check who you are buying it off. If it's a dissident crowd then it likely goes to a prisoner fund. Otherwise it's graves and the like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Never.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

A _ _ _ _ j _ _ _ _ _.

Where To wrote: »
    Never.

why?

I'll wear it if this topic fucks off and never comes back.

Why do people who have been here for years feel the need to get on like this? The OP clearly just signed up last month so they obviously haven't seen the threads you have.
    Just dont read it if you don't want to take part.
    If we ban any topic that has come up before you'll soon see the website shut down altogether.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

It's kind of been hijacked as a symbol by provo types. So, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭JonSnuuu

Would never buy one. The money goes towards stupid things.

Wouldn't mind the money going to upkeep some of the republican graves, but I would never give money to some "prisoner fund".

Nothing gets me more riled up than the whole Bobby Sands attitude some people have towards IRA prisoners, why some people think that these people deserve our pity and money is beyond. They broke the law, they're in a paramilitary terrorist organisation. The IRA these days are scum and nothing else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

why?
    Same reason I wouldn't wear a poppy, or a swastika, or a star of David, it's a political symbol.

It's kind of been hijacked as a symbol by provo types. So, no.

Firstly, the Provos no longer exist.
    Secondly, it hasn't been hijacked by anyone, it means now what it always meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

The question is rather loaded, you're not going to see a fair result op.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

I have one from a deceased relative, but wouldn't wear it. I don't feel the need to 'advertise' or show my allegiance to anything.

Had I had a relative that fought in WW1 or 2 I wouldn't feel the need to wear a poppy either. Both symbols have got historical baggage that I'd rather not have anything to do with.

If I want to 'remember' someone who has died I visit a graveyard.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

You are wrong. It mostly goes to the upkeep of republican graves and memorials such as those in Glasnevin Cemetery.
    Just check who you are buying it off. If it's a dissident crowd then it likely goes to a prisoner fund. Otherwise it's graves and the like.

Can you verify that, because if that was correct, I think it is an
    important enough topic to be acknowledge.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Firstly, the Provos no longer exist.
    Secondly, it hasn't been hijacked by anyone, it means now what it always meant.

I think you know exactly what I mean. So you're saying that the Easter Lilly hasn't transformed from a symbol of remembering the dead of the war of independence on to include glorifying IRA terrorists as well? Coulda fooled me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Sauve wrote: »

Yet the Brits have a whole month of remembering their war dead and if you are a celeb or tv personality that doesn't wear their poppy, you are condemned by many.

Yes, I see it as a way of remembering every Irish person who has died for Ireland, from WWI, to the Rising, to the victims of BOTH Bloody Sundays to even those who died in 1974 in the Dublin and Monaghan Bombings and everyone in between, before and after!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,288 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I wear a brass phallus all year round in memory of the Peloponnesian wars.

Odysseus wrote: »
    Can you verify that, because if that was correct, I think it is an
    important enough topic to be acknowledge.

I did a story on it about two or three years ago and the proceeds of any official lilies bought go to the National Graves Association (www.nga.ie)
    I'm trying to find a more recent link but here's the first one I found. It's the launch of Sinn Fein's 2011 Easter Lily campaign and it was launched in conjunction with people from the NGA. Gerry Kelly also urges people to support the work of the NGA in it.

http://www.sinnfein.ie/contents/20443

It's just common sense. If you're buying it from Sinn Fein or an authorised seller, that's where it goes, but if you throw a quid in a bucket for one at and anti-PSNI white line picket it's probably going elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Yet the Brits have a whole month of remembering their war dead and if you are a celeb or tv personality that doesn't wear their poppy, you are condemned by many.

Yes, I see it as a way of remembering every Irish person who has died for Ireland, from WWI, to the Rising, to the victims of BOTH Bloody Sundays to even those who died in 1974 in the Dublin and Monaghan Bombings and everyone in between, before and after!
    We already have the poppy for remembering the victims of WWI.

I think you know exactly what I mean. So you're saying that the Easter Lilly hasn't transformed from a symbol of remembering the dead of the war of independence on to include glorifying IRA terrorists as well? Coulda fooled me.

Which IRA terrorists, the ones in 1920 or the ones in 1970?

The Easter Lily is a small symbol honouring and remembering Ireland's patriot dead. Always has been and it is today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Iwasfrozen wrote: »

That poppy also commemorates those who came to Ireland and killed our innocent civilians, I wouldn't spit on it, it would be a waste of saliva.

The Lily was designed for EVERYONE who died for Ireland, including our World War dead. I am happy to remember those brave men/women with it too.

• Advertisement

Iwasfrozen wrote: »

That's not what the poppy remembers. This is a fallacy perpetuated by unionism.
    The poppy commemorates British War dead from any and all of their greedy conquests and the money goes to helping current and former British soldiers.
    It's a disgusting symbol.

Advertisement