Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S3 Problems

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭thegoth

Guys,

This seems to be a problem with the S3 and certain wireless access points.

Long story short

I following all the troubleshooting tips including a total reset of the phone. No good.

I am a vodafone home router/access point

I brought the phone into carphone warehouse in nutgrove. Very helpful. They could not replicate the issue on their wireless network. I started to suspect an issue with my access point and the S3. Without going into how I verified my suspicions, I changed my vodafone access point for this http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&productId=347882 and problem solved

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

Technique wrote: »
    My wife has a problem with her 2 month old S3. On voice calls she can hear the other person but they can't hear her.

Has a setting been inadvertently changed, or is there are simple fix? It would be good to know before going back into the phone shop.

Thanks...

I found it is the way you hold the phone, I try and not hold it near the bottom and just hold it around the edge. don't put your hand right at the bottom. This link may help you: http://www.phonesreview.co.uk/2012/06/12/samsung-looking-to-avoid-galaxy-s3-antennagate/

Another major thing :mad:

I got the firmware update yesterday from Samsung (over the air update), then couldn't access any pre-installed default apps ,had to then reset to factory settings and start all over again and re-install them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Shades799

@Shades799...What network are you on btw?

O2
    (on a seperate note, wtf do so many ppl have the daily fail app?? :rolleyes:)

Because we live in a society where admiration is given to those who are desperate enough to do anything we want to give it to them and not to those who have earned it for contributions that have progressed society.... :mad:

Anyways, I think I have made some progress on my issue. I couldn't understand why so much of my battery was being used by the screen. So I sat watching it for a while (I am so sad) and I realised that it was waking up every so often, I think it might be that my built in Gmail app is on Push notifications but I can't see where I can change that.

So what I did was I changed my WiFi to only be on when the screen is on and also I have turned off Auto Sync and now I am losing about 3% an hour which would equate to around 28 hours of battery which would be good IMO.

However I don't feel I am getting the full benefit of the phone if I turn off Auto Sync so does anyone know how I can change the schedule from Push to every 15 minutes or so?

I also put on Auto-brightness for my screen and installed Llama, which is, without a doubt, the best app EVER!

Basically it lets you read everything about your phones state and location (using phone masts not GPS so it doesn't drain battery), and perform nearly every conceivable action on your phone based on those conditions. It truly is amazing. So I have some battery saving operations in there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Erper

I have small question
    why is phone getting hot from the half to bottom if im not doing anything on it or there is no internet tuned on...
    i took some app from market to check temp and it gets up to 40-41C which in my opinion is not good as its damaging screen, components in the phone and battery itself...

so does anyone have any solution to it??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Hi I've had my S3 for just under 1 week now and initially I was delighted with it, having switched from an iPhone 4.

I have started having a major problem however since yesterday morning. Basically the phone seems to switch itself off randomly when asleep. Only way for me to get it back on is to hold down the power button or to pull the battery. I've looks on loads of forums to no avail. Only thing I haven't done as I'm away from home is a factory reset, as I want to backp first. I'll try that tomorrow.

In terms of any changes, the only thing I can remember doing by way of change was:

1. Turned off wifi connection when sleeping to save battery (but have now turned that back on). Made no difference
    2. Got some update from Meteor yesterday for WAP and MMS settings which I installed

Aside from a few other apps, all of which I had since day 1, I can't think of annoying else to try.

I'm new to Android and I'm enjoying it so far, but this is really puzzling me. I love the Galaxy S3, but I'm starting to worry that I didn't make a good choice in moving over.

Any advice from the experts? Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

ArthurG wrote: »

I have started having a major problem however since yesterday morning. Basically the phone seems to switch itself off randomly when asleep. Only way for me to get it back on is to hold down the power button or to pull the battery. I've looks on loads of forums to no avail.

This is known as the "sleep of death" and is fixed in the latest updates which will be due soon. I know this because I got an update unofficially through cyanogenmod and my sleep problem went away

• Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Hi I've had my S3 for just under 1 week now and initially I was delighted with it, having switched from an iPhone 4.

I have started having a major problem however since yesterday morning. Basically the phone seems to switch itself off randomly when asleep. Only way for me to get it back on is to hold down the power button or to pull the battery. I've looks on loads of forums to no avail. Only thing I haven't done as I'm away from home is a factory reset, as I want to backp first. I'll try that tomorrow.

In terms of any changes, the only thing I can remember doing by way of change was:

1. Turned off wifi connection when sleeping to save battery (but have now turned that back on). Made no difference
    2. Got some update from Meteor yesterday for WAP and MMS settings which I installed

Aside from a few other apps, all of which I had since day 1, I can't think of annoying else to try.

I'm new to Android and I'm enjoying it so far, but this is really puzzling me. I love the Galaxy S3, but I'm starting to worry that I didn't make a good choice in moving over.

Update it to Jelly Bean....update rollouts on Android suck balls compared to IOS where everyone gets it on the same day.
    I didn't both waiting and went ahead and manually updated it myself to 4.1
    Took about 10 mins and easy to do.
    Longest part was downloading both images :)

Use the below link and read it carefully as it's been updated for the latest versions.
    Once you're read it and understand it's pure easy to do.

Although it looks like Samsung are releasing 4.1 as we speak..
    might as well hold off afew days

http://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-galaxy-s3-jelly-bean-update-rollout-europe-117274/

Thanks for your advice. Bit of an update. I called Meteor this morning and explained the problem.

They agreed to change the phone immediately which I've done.

I backed up the phone and have re-loaded all apps etc, and everything seems ok for the moment.....

Given I'm seeing that the JB rollout has begun, I'll probably wait for that, but fingers crossed it was a dodge phone or battery or something.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I'm on an S3 which I got from O2 but use on emobile, and its the same. LED still flashes, and the phone is warm and defo awake. But the screen won't wake up, even when I get calls. And I have a feeling I miss texts and stuff when its off.

Btw which network should I go into for help, I bought the handset from O2, but I have an emobile contract. (Parents have o2 contract). Its insured btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

i have also problems but when i spoke with network 3 representative he told me to take it to some place in town for repairs..
    if they cant sort it they will give me new phone...

is it always like that or he is making it up

he told me that there is no cost for bringing it in, i just need to bring contract (think so) and they should sort it out...
    if they cant than they would give me other phone

Quick update - new handset seems to be working very well - mattery drop over night was about 10% (versus 50 on last one), so I'm guessing it might have been a dodgy battery or something.

Fingers crossed it will keep going like that......

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Mur1

Broke screen sunday and went into o2 shop monday as I needed a pbone. Also semt my s3 for repair through them. Got a text today for estimated repairs for 159.99! And to give them a ring. Will I tell them go ahead with the repairs or can it be done much cheaper somewhere else and to just send the phone back.

That's not bad for a screen of that size..doubtful you'll get it cheaper elsewhere..at least not without the proper screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Another quick update... the sleep/death thing must certainly have been a battery issue - I was loosing almost 50% overnight with the first phone, now I'm getting the following (which to be fair should be closer to 70% after the time shown, as I had it plugged in for a while). I'm impressed. Might celebrate by dialling up the screen brightness!!

2012-09-26214503.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Your screen on time looks pretty low, do you use it at all ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

have my phone 2 weeks now and love it.
    I am coming from iphone (having had one since 2007)
    Very very fast phone, screen is great.
    Not a great speaker in it to be fair.
    The only thing that is bugging me at the moment is the battery.
    I listen to spotify every day in work and on the way home.
    The battery seems to drop about 10% in an hour or so which is terrible.
    I have tried power saving, disabling some services, auto brightness etc.
    It has helped a bit but is no where close to the battery on the 4s.
    Apart from that, really enjoying it..
    Can't wait for Jelly Bean.

• Advertisement

sham69 wrote: »
    have my phone 2 weeks now and love it.
    I am coming from iphone (having had one since 2007)
    Very very fast phone, screen is great.
    Not a great speaker in it to be fair.
    The only thing that is bugging me at the moment is the battery.
    I listen to spotify every day in work and on the way home.
    The battery seems to drop about 10% in an hour or so which is terrible.
    I have tried power saving, disabling some services, auto brightness etc.
    It has helped a bit but is no where close to the battery on the 4s.
    Apart from that, really enjoying it..
    Can't wait for Jelly Bean.

if you really can't wait you can flash to jelly bean easy enough.

also if you are at work and have access to a USB slot you can put your usb cable from your charger into it to charge. you don't need drivers or anything to charge it so you shouldn't run into IT issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kenyard

battery is screen on time...drains really quick due to screen size it takes more juice.. non usage if you have internet etc turned off it can drain at 1% every 2 hours i have found which is exceptional..

also depends on network.. in work i have very poor receptino so it can train very quickly..especially when internet is turned on also.. low usage it can drop 50% in 12 hour shift

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

Getting fed up of having to hold the phone differently (naturally want to hold it near the bottom) so I get a lot of dropped calls and what not... not happy with the phone at all...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I love the phone no problems with the actual phone just meteor, as I am in a bit of a black spot in meath and the signal is not great in my house.

Apart from that is great.

you didn't happen to be switching between wifi and 3g at the time?

i had an issue last night when i was switching between the 2 but i can't remember what the error was exactly

Mur1 wrote: »
    Broke screen sunday and went into o2 shop monday as I needed a pbone. Also semt my s3 for repair through them. Got a text today for estimated repairs for 159.99! And to give them a ring. Will I tell them go ahead with the repairs or can it be done much cheaper somewhere else and to just send the phone back.

broke mine last night..fonemenders are quoting €160 which I don't mind paying as long as they do a proper job and use OEM parts..any one dealt with them before?
    I'm down in Limerick otherwise I'd use that chap in Malahide that's doing them on adverts..15 minute turnaround as opposed to 2 days with fonemenders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

RE: fonemenders;

meteor use them as one of their repair stores

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

kaimera wrote: »
    RE: fonemenders;

meteor use them as one of their repair stores

As do 3 Network.

Heard they are decent.

Advertisement