Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Analogue Switchoff - Public Awareness & Help Scheme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭zg3409

I am currently using a Saorview Set Top Box atm. Therefore, I am not using a Saorview approved TV. What you are saying is that I should get the Saorview approved TV or use the analouge tuner inside the box.

I did an automatic channel scan on the Saorview box, it had only given me the Irish Channels.

Will it be removed by any date before 24th October or will it continue as normal?

Do I still have to pay for the UK DTT channels from UPC to continue getting them or are they free?

OK. I think I understand what your questions are.

If you are using a Saorview box then it will continue to work forever. Nothing is changing for those who have a Saorview box in October. Even though your TV does not have a Saorview sticker, once a Saorview box is connected to it, it will keep working.

If you want to get the UK channels for free, then you need a dish and a box called FreeSAT, in addition to your current equipment. With this set up you get the UK channels for free. To set up a dish is not easy for begineers so most people pay an installer. For a once off cost of less than 200 euro you can get all the UK channels for free. Make sure to tell the installer you want a FreeSAT box (and not a cheaper free to air box)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    If you don't have them, they can't be removed. Hook the old Cablelink feed to your tv's aerial input & scan for analogue channels.

How does the Saorview box then. Will the UK Channels just work through a Scart lead only or do I put in coaxial cable into it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

These UK channels, if they're there at all, will be present on the old cable feed as an analogue signal, nothing to do with Saorview.

The only way you'll get them is if you connect this cable, that used to feed the Cablelink box, to your tv's aerial input.

Note that it wasn't me that brought up this subject & I'm not exactly familiar with cable systems. For all I know, the whole thing could have been completely disconnected.

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    These UK channels, if they're there at all, will be present on the old cable feed as an analogue signal, nothing to do with Saorview.

The only way you'll get them is if you connect this cable, that used to feed the Cablelink box, to your tv's aerial input.

They are not there at all unfortunately. The coaxial cable has to be screwed in from the UPC box, not slotted in. I had removed the RF cable from the back of the TV.

The only solution for me is freesat to get the UK channels. I think the only solution is the Xoro HRC 9000 combo reciever with a saorview approved TV is the best option for me.

the only solution is the Xoro HRC 9000 combo reciever with a saorview approved TV is the best option for me.

YOU DO NOT NEED A NEW TV. A combo works with any old TV, the box itself will pick up Saorview and show the channels on any old TV. That is the point of a combo.

• Advertisement

That isn't a Freesat (note the capital F as it's a brandname) receiver, but a generic free-to-air box which won't have a proper programme guide & won't carry out automatic retunes when necessary.

Take a look here: http://www.freesat.co.uk/

zg3409 wrote: »
    YOU DO NOT NEED A NEW TV. A combo works with any old TV, the box itself will pick up Saorview and show the channels on any old TV. That is the point of a combo.

I have a BEKO 21'' widescreen in the Kitchen. I only had put it there for temporary reasons just to get a link aerial/satellite into my living room as there is none. I might change the initial plan and put the combo receiver into the living room instead.

Can I get Freeview HD instead as an alternative to Freesat.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

Freeview HD is only an option for those living near the border or east coast who can receive reliable terrestrial signals from transmitters in Wales or Northern Ireland.

MarkK wrote: »
    Freeview HD is only an option for those living near the border or east coast who can receive reliable terrestrial signals from transmitters in Wales or Northern Ireland.

So I can get it If I live Blackrock in Dublin? I hope the answer is a resounding yes?

So I can get it If I live Blackrock in Dublin? I hope the answer is a resounding yes?

If you could, you would not have needed to get Cablelink for the UK channels.

• Advertisement

If you could, you would not have needed to get Cablelink for the UK channels.

The UK channels were tuned in sometime between 1995/96, or possibly earlier. And getting rid of that gap of about 4 years to now would have been helpful in some way.

The UK channels were tuned in sometime between 1995/96, or possibly earlier. And getting rid of that gap of about 4 years to now would have been helpful in some way.

Do you still have the same aerial in place?
    Did you get the channels from Wales or the North?

Did you have a good picture all the time, or did you frequently have interference?
    Interference on analogue means the picture gets snowy, but with digital it means you will lose the picture altogether.
    If it works where you live I would expect some of your neighbours to be picking it up too. It may be worth speaking to any of your neighbours who have big TV aerials.

Do you still have the same aerial in place?
    Did you get the channels from Wales or the North?

Did you have a good picture all the time, or did you frequently have interference?
    Interference on analogue means the picture gets snowy, but with digital it means you will lose the picture altogether.
    If it works where you live I would expect some of your neighbours to be picking it up too. It may be worth speaking to any of your neighbours who have big TV aerials.

None of the UK channels from the UPC box currently work. There is nothing there apart from Irish DTT channels.

I think UPC did disconnect the UK channels in 2008. My late grandmother was the billpayer of the house before she died in early 2008 due to bowel cancer. If the channels were reconnected either my mother or myself would have pay for them.

When I had the UK channels, they had little or no interference at all. Even with or without an aerial. I had a rooftop aerial; however that was taken down completely in the year 2000.

For now, I get good reception on Saorview although it is not perfect as the picture breaks or freezes from time to time. My signal strength is 100%, my signal quality is described as weak at around 50 to 55%.

The STB needs to have the coaxial cable as it is the only source to recieve Irish DTT. If I don't use it, I'll get a message saying 'No Signal'. I will get a snowy picture if the box is not used.

As I did an automatic scan which already failed, Will a manual scan on the Saorview box be any useful as I cannot any channels on the television?

UPC cable is totally irrelevant to a discussion on Saorview, Freesat or Freeview.
    If you are getting Saorview channels by plugging the old UPC cable into your Saorview box, it's because the cable is acting as an aerial.
    When I was only using an aerial, I did get interference very regularly.
    No point in Freeview then, you would be wasting your time and money.

If you are getting Saorview channels by plugging the old UPC cable into your Saorview box, it's because the cable is acting as an aerial.

Indeed, and this was all explained to him in another thread iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

The Cush wrote: »
    An information booklet will be delivered by the Department to every household in the country in June according to press release on http://www.goingdigital.ie/Media+Centre/Oldest+Working+TV+in+Ireland+Goes+Digital.htm

The Dept of Comms announced today that the Going Digital Information booklet will be delivered to every household in the country in the coming weeks.

http://www.goingdigital.ie/Info/News/Watch+out+for+the+Going+Digital+Information+booklet.+Over+the+next+few+weeks+all+households.htm

Dept of Communications Press Release
    Minister Rabbitte announces the nationwide delivery of the "going digital" information booklets
    Digital TV Switchover Information booklet Dublin, Tuesday 19th June 2012

JUST FOUR MONTHS TO SWITCHOVER

REMINDER ‘BUG’ CURRENTLY ON ALL ANALOGUE TV SCREENS

Minister for Communications, Energy & Natural Resources, Pat Rabbitte T.D. today announced that every home in the country will receive a Digital TV Switchover Information booklet within the next ten days as part of the government’s efforts to ensure that no one gets left behind when the analogue TV network in Ireland is switched off on Wednesday 24th October, 2012.

The information booklet is being distributed from today to remind some 200,000 households who still need to make the switch to digital TV of what they need to do to make the switch to digital TV and that the options are all available now. The guide will also be helpful to a further 250,000 households who already access digital TV – Saorview or Pay TV - for their main television, but who may have a set in another room which is relying on the analog TV signal.

Minister Rabbitte said, “The switching off of the analogue TV network is now just four months away, we are now commencing the final phase of our promotional campaign by delivering an information booklet to every home in the country. The booklet is an important element within our campaign and we hope that it will serve to prompt all those who have not yet taken the important steps to ensure they can continue to enjoy their TV when the analogue network is switched off in October to do so. Digital TV is available now in the form of Saorview or various pay TV services, so we are keen to encourage people not to wait until the last minute to make the switch.”

All those still using the old analogue TV network will have noticed a ‘bug’ on the bottom of their TV screen which will be a permanent reminder and countdown to analogue switchover date, October 24th. This ‘bug’ will remain on all analogue TV screens until October 24th or until those TV sets have been switched to the digital network.

According to Minister Rabbitte, “The use of the ‘bug’ on analogue TV screens is an important device which allows us into people’s home to remind them that they are currently watching TV on the old network and need to take action to ensure that they are not without a TV service when the analogue TV service gets switched off on Wednesday 24th October, 2012. We are optimistic that both the use of the ‘bug’ and the distribution of the booklets will encourage people to take the necessary steps to make the switch to the digital TV service.”

Guidance on the Digital Switchover is also available at http://www.goingdigital.ie/ and through LoCall 1890 940 980 (English language) and 1890 940 970 (Irish language).

Ends

http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/Press+Releases/2012/Minister+Rabbitte+announces+the+Nationwide+delivery+of+going+digital+information+booklets.htm

RTÉ Six-One News report - http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0619/homes-to-receive-booklets-on-digital-switchover.html#video
    Newstalk - http://www.newstalk.ie/2012/news/concerns-many-not-ready-for-digital-tv/
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/only-15-of-homes-make-switch-to-digital-555894.html
    http://www.siliconrepublic.com/new-media/item/27833-going-digital-guides-to/

Going Digital Information Booklet 2012 - Large Print in Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭SalteeDog

The leaflet directs people (who wish to help in a voluntary capacity) to the link www.irishrurallink.ie/digitalswitchover.
    Someone needs to tell that organisation to update their website as currently that is a members-only page.

The leafet was mentioned on the 6pm news tonight along with a post van in the backround

zg3409 wrote: »
    The leafet was mentioned on the 6pm news tonight along with a post van in the backround

Link to the Six-One News report in my post above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Link to the Six-One News report in my post above.

I worry that the Department are paying for postage or telling An Post to pay for such postage rather then the companies that they employed to carry out the marketing campaign, especially since the €1.5million did not include a website.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

from today's Irish Examiner

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/30000-homes-face-350-bill-to-get-digital-tv-198021.html

30,000 homes face €350 bill to get digital TV

By Seán McCárthaigh

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Around 30,000 households will face additional costs averaging over €300 to ensure they can still watch their favourite TV channels following the switch off of analogue TV signals on Oct 24.

The Department of Communications has admitted that the 2% of households which cannot receive coverage from the free digital TV service Saorview due to geographical location, will need to access the free-to-air satellite service, Saorsat, or alternatively pay for TV services from providers like Sky or UPC.

It is estimated the average cost of accessing Saorsat, which requires the purchase and installation of a satellite dish and a low noise blockdown converter in addition to the set-top box required for Saorview, is around €350. The set-top box needed to access Saorview costs about €50.

The department has admitted that some regions including parts of west Cork, Kerry and Donegal, will not be able to access Saorview services which provides all the main existing Irish TV channels including RTÉ 1, RTÉ 2, TV3 and TG4.

However, Communications Minister Pat Rabbitte insisted yesterday that there had been no real change in the availability of TV services.

"There were always 2% [of the population] who had to make special arrangements," he said.

Mr Rabbitte pointed out that such viewers traditionally had to make other arrangements to access TV signals which usually required some form of payment.

Mr Rabbitte said there were no plans to provide any financial assistance to TV viewers affected by the digital TV switchover.

Mr Rabbitte announced that every home in Ireland will receive a switchover booklet within the next few days. He also said he was satisfied that nobody should be unaware of the plans for the official Oct 24 switch-off date as a result of the Government’s awareness campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It was closer to 5% for TG4 and 15% to 20% for TV3!

Interesting bit at the end of the debate where he says a Saorview open-day was held for TDs and Senators near Leinster House but wasn't well attended but could be repeated if members required. I think come Sept/Oct our representatives may be getting a lot more queries regarding Saorview/Saorsat/ASO from their constituents as the analogue switchoff date draws closer, that might be a good time to hold an open-day.

Going Digital switchover presentation to members of the Oireachtas at Leinster House today
    Tomorrow 21st June Minister Pat Rabbitte will be hosting a Digital Switchover event for Oireachtas members. It’s a chance for all Members to find out everything they need to know about the digital switchover and the options available. With this information they will be able to help at a local level also.

http://www.goingdigital.ie/Info/News/Digital+switchover+presentation+to+members+of+the+Oireachtas.htm

Going Digital switchover presentation to members of the Oireachtas at Leinster House today

Each given a free STB, which they can claim back on Expenses no doubt! <<<< Am I a bit skeptical?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Elmo wrote: »
    Each given a free STB, which they can claim back on Expenses no doubt! <<<< Am I a bit skeptical?

Do you mean they get a free STB and also claim for it on expenses? Surely not! That would make them dishonest.

Perhaps this might be an idea for TV3's DSO captioning

210154.jpg

Report on the presentation from the Going Digital website
    Report on Presentation to Oireachtas members on June 21st

Minister Rabbitte invited his Oireachtas colleagues to a briefing session on SAORVIEW and SAORSAT.

The meeting took place in Leinster House on June 21st. Representatives from the Department of Communications, SAORVIEW and RTÉ Networks Limited attended and were on hand to answer questions about the switchover, SAORVIEW and SAORSAT.

The Minister also took the opportunity to tell the TDs in attendance about the national digital switchover campaign (have you seen the advert – click here to see it). He also highlighted the fact that all households in the country will be receiving the Going Digital information booklet between now and the end of the first week in July. To download your own copy of the booklet, please click here.

The Minister also reminded those in attendance of the Digital Switchover Outreach Programme. This is a great initiative at grass roots levels involving 100s of volunteers all around the Country. We have a dedicated section on the Outreach Programme on this website. Click here to find out more information and see what’s happening in your area.

SAORVIEW gave a presentation on their advertising campaign and also provided information on the different regional events they have organised around the country.

RTÉNL gave the technical background to SAORVIEW and SAORSAT. They also provided information on coverage around the country. Did you know….

- 59 analogue transmission sites have been upgraded to provide SAORVIEW coverage
    - There are 5 new transmission sites
    - In excess of 98% of the population is covered
    - The new digital mast at Mullaghanish on the Cork/Kerry border is taller than the Dublin Spire

RTÉ Networks Limited also spoke to the Deputies about their ongoing work in upgrading other sites around the country. On the day, they announced that additional sites in West Cork, Waterford, Kerry, Clare. Louth and Donegal are being upgraded to digital and will be live from October 1st. This is great news for all the people in these areas as they prepare to go digital. If you want to see if you are covered by SAORVIEW please go to their coverage checker at the following link www.saorview.ie. If you have would like to find out more information on SAORSAT, please click here

http://www.goingdigital.ie/Info/News/Digital+switchover+presentation+to+members+of+the+Oireachtas.htm

The latest Millward Brown Lansdowne benchmark study on the Digital TV Switchover was carried out in June.

Press release from the Dept
    Minister Rabbitte commends outreach programme success and welcomes latest research on Digital TV switchover

* 2000 LOCAL ORGANISATIONS HAVE HOSTED 500 OUTREACH EVENTS NATIONWIDE *88% NOW AWARE OF DIGITAL SWITCHOVER, 92% RURAL AWARENESS, 68% AWARE OF DIGITAL SWITCHOVER DATE *MINISTER URGES PEOPLE TO ACT NOW

Dublin, Thursday 5th July 2012

Minister for Communications, Energy & Natural Resources, Pat Rabbitte T.D. today revealed that 88% of Irish people are now aware of the Digital TV Switchover. The figure is even higher in rural areas where some 92% of adults are now aware of it, compared to 89% in November 2011. Furthermore, 68% of the population are aware that the analogue TV network will be officially switched off in October 2012, compared to 35% in November last year. These encouraging results come from the latest Millward Brown Lansdowne benchmark study on the Digital TV Switchover which was carried out in June.

12% of homes in the country, approximately 200,000 homes, are still using the analogue TV network for their primary TV, down from 250,000 in November 2011. However, of these, 50% do not yet know when they will make the switch to Digital TV, while 28% will switch sometime in September or October.

Commenting on the latest research results, Minister Rabbitte said, “While the results are encouraging and highlight that our public information and awareness campaign is working, the switching off of the analogue TV network is now less than four months away. Therefore, it is essential that all those who have not yet taken the important steps to ensure they can continue to enjoy their TV when the analogue network is switched off in October do so as soon as possible. Digital TV is available now, so we are keen to encourage people not to wait until the last minute to make the switch.”

The Minister made his comments at a meeting in Dublin with the 26 “Digital Outreach Champions” who have been working closely with community groups, voluntary organisations and charities across the country over the past few months. Their primary function is to inform the more vulnerable people living in local communities about the Digital Switchover and what they need to do to make the switch as part of the Department of Communication’s outreach programme with The Wheel and Irish Rural Link.

According to Minister Rabbitte, “A key focus for the Department since we launched our information and awareness campaign has been to ensure that the more vulnerable people in our society, particularly those living in rural areas, are aware of the Digital TV Switchover, understand what it is, its many benefits, when it is happening and where they can go for guidance. The 26 Digital Champions who have volunteered as part of our outreach programme to assist us in this task have already had a real impact in their local communities, as the research shows. I am informed that by end June these champions have engaged with almost 2000 local organisations, hosting almost 500 outreach events nationwide, delivering our information messages to several thousands of our targeted audience. I would like to take this opportunity to congratulate them and thank them for their efforts. They have also been effective in helping us deliver the message to those who are already using the Digital TV network to look out for family, friends and neighbours who may need help making the switch in advance of the October 24th deadline.”

The Department of Communications recently distributed a Digital TV Switchover information booklet to homes across the country with the specific purpose of reminding the 200,000 households who still need to make the switch to digital TV of what they need to do and that the options are all available now. The guide will also be helpful to people who have already switched to Digital for their main TV but who may have a set in another room which is relying on the analogue TV signal.

Guidance on the Digital Switchover is also available at http://www.goingdigital.ie/, through LoCall 1890 940 980 (English language) and 1890 940 970 (Irish language).

Ends/

Notes to Editor:

Millward Brown Lansdowne Research (Millward Brown Lansdowne Digital Switchover Benchmark Study, November 2011 ) interviewed a representative sample of 1005 adults aged 15+. 13 respondents who claimed not to have a television in their household were excluded, thus giving an effect sample of 992. All respondents were interviewed in their own homes. Fieldwork dates were 9th – 25th June, 2012.

http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/Press+Releases/2012/Minister+Rabbitte+commends+outreach+programme+success+and+welcomes+latest+research+on+Digital+TV+swi.htm

The details of the survey haven't been published yet but the results of the two previous surveys, Sept and Nov 2011, are available on the Going Digital website.

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/28151-88pc-of-irish-residents-now
    http://www.techcentral.ie/19316/minister-praises-analogue-switch-off-information-campaign

• Advertisement

The latest Millward Brown Lansdowne benchmark study on the Digital TV Switchover was carried out in June.

Press release from the Dept

The details of the survey haven't been published yet but the results of the two previous surveys, Sept and Nov 2011, are available on the Going Digital website.

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/28151-88pc-of-irish-residents-now
    http://www.techcentral.ie/19316/minister-praises-analogue-switch-off-information-campaign

Load of crap. The Department are covering themselves from the absolute shocking waste of money that they invested into Going Digital.

The research that they have announced has come after they put up the BUG's for ASO/DSO, they failed to announce the results because they know that most people are getting their information from Soarview. Lets see the full report.

Advertisement