Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Howth Hill Climb

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Briain O Loinsigh

I always climb the long way from sutton and head down into howth village ,but the wind always holds me back below 70KPH.
    Is the breeze always in the same direction there ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Lumen wrote: »
    Historical wind data for Howth... Research into how to game Strava and fake awesomeness.

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=I90579413&month=4&day=9&year=2012

FYP. And good luck in your quest.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭instinct

Where is the end of the TT ?

Starts at white faint line beside school in Sutton. Where does it end ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

The shop afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

niceonetom wrote: »
    FYP. And good luck in your quest.

To be fair all the KOM on Strava are wind assisted. KOM from my Strava followed stream are always proportional to the strength and direction of the flags at the Mitsubishi Garage at the end of North Street in Swords. Beasty took a bunch of into town KOMs last week and it was the strongest Northerly I have seen in recent times! generally the wind is southerlyesque.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Inquitus wrote: »
    To be fair all the KOM on Strava are wind assisted.

I checked the Sutton-Howth KOM and it wasn't wind assisted. So we're all just slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I checked the Sutton-Howth KOM and it wasn't wind assisted. So we're all just slow.

Oh I am definitely slow alright :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Inquitus wrote: »
    To be fair all the KOM on Strava are wind assisted.

No. Raam is just awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭greenmat

I'm creeping up the Strava Howth leaderboard, on the 2nd page now:D. Keep the tips flowing as to how to beat my time, very near to beating 8 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

greenmat wrote: »
    I'm creeping up the Strava Howth leaderboard, on the 2nd page now:D. Keep the tips flowing as to how to beat my time, very near to beating 8 mins.

If you don't feel a little bit of sick in your mouth, then you can go harder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭greenmat

Raam wrote: »
    If you don't feel a little bit of sick in your mouth, then you can go harder.

:D Great one. Never experienced that, will try harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭ccull123

Hi all,

Gonna try this for the first time ever tomorrow. Which side is the easier one. i.e howth through to sutton or vice versa???

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Village start is steeper but shorter, Sutton start is longer but not as steep. Try em both and report back ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

im gonna do both of these tomorrow aswell for the first time. Not going to do the standing start (did someone say thats worth about 5 seconds?) or is that just cheating!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

lennymc wrote: »
    im gonna do both of these tomorrow aswell for the first time. Not going to do the standing start (did someone say thats worth about 5 seconds?) or is that just cheating!

For the purposes of Strava rolling starts are fine. You can hardly to be expected to stop wherever a segment starts, and in any case there are overlapping segments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

ccull123 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Gonna try this for the first time ever tomorrow. Which side is the easier one. i.e howth through to sutton or vice versa???

Thanks
    Raam wrote: »
    Village start is steeper but shorter, Sutton start is longer but not as steep. Try em both and report back ;)

Also try the way up from Shielmartin Road for a short intense burst of pain and nausea. 0.6km at 12% average. Fun fun fun.

Finally got this out of the way today. I really enjoyed it. It was tough but def manageable.

Also saw my first boardsie jersey today whilst cycling up it. (reckon it was about 9.15am he was in the company of another two riders. Think he was on a specialized...)

Def has to b done again soon!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Also saw my first boardsie jersey today whilst cycling up it. (reckon it was about 9.15am he was in the company of another two riders. Think he was on a specialized...)

I think that was me you spotted, I was with 2 other lads there this mornin at 9.15, I've a red Litespeed though.

bad2dabone wrote: »

I think that was me you spotted, I was with 2 other lads there this mornin at 9.15, I've a red Litespeed though.

I think ur right. Prob wrong on the bike:) was one of your mates on a mountain bike/ hybrid?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

yep indeed he was :) he's got a nice new bike coming this week and I'll never keep up with him once it arrives!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

First time up in quite some time (could be over a year! :eek: ). Wasn't very happy and knees got a bit sore at one point. Ended up with 13m15...

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Wingman2010

Finally got this out of the way today. I really enjoyed it. It was tough but def manageable.

My first time to log into boards in months. I even forgot my password!

When I saw your post I thought it must have been me as I was out this direction around this time on Saturday with a boards jersey, 2 mates and a red specialized. But I see above someone claimed this one; ha..

Are boards spins still organised?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Time??????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Did a 8.40 up the climb today,1st attempt this year so happy enough.Noticed the white start line at the pitch gate is now missing?? Loads of professional riders out in Howth this morning,too busy doing 40kph to give a nod or wave back!!:rolleyes: Wind direction was perfect for a personal best from the harbour to the summit this morning,only problem for me was I never time myself going up that side!!

Time??????

Late reply. Not sure to be honest. Im still trying to figure out where the start/finish is:P.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭instinct

Is this not a segment on Strava ? Just done a lap and nothing showed up. If i had of known I would have started my timer :(

EDIT

wow found it. 10.09 - I suck :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭selana

first time doing it today, felt like the hill would never end!

14 mins. plenty of scope for improvement anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

7:58 today. First time under 8 mins!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Late reply. Not sure to be honest. Im still trying to figure out where the start/finish is:P.

The start is just opposite the school on the Sutton side just at the entrance to Howth Celtic. The end is the Irish Times wall on the shop. 9:09 best so far. 'hoping 9 mins is under threat this summer!

• Advertisement

Could someone please tell me what gradient (% wise) the howth hill is going from the sutton side?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement