Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Howth Hill Climb

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Well, here I am at the top of Howth Head, at least I think it's the top. I went past a sign for a quarry on roads thaat are better suited to a MTB. beside me is a mobile phone mast. Is this the hallowed summit? Obviously I've never been here before. Feckin' nippy though, time to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭C3PO

coolbeans wrote: »
    Well, here I am at the top of Howth Head, at least I think it's the top. I went past a sign for a quarry on roads thaat are better suited to a MTB. beside me is a mobile phone mast. Is this the hallowed summit? Obviously I've never been here before. Feckin' nippy though, time to move on.

Can't believe you took your gloves off to post from the top of Howth Hill! If you went up from the Sutton side there is a big Irish Times sign on the right that's used to mark the summit!

RPL1 wrote: »

Can't believe you took your gloves off to post from the top of Howth Hill! If you went up from the Sutton side there is a big Irish Times sign on the right that's used to mark the summit!

Ha, I was feeling smug. No, I know that I did not go up Sutton side.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Zebrano

Newbie cyclist first time doing it
    13m 20s

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭capnsantini

You've gone above and beyond the call of duty! Most people would stick to the main road (either side) and consider the Summit Pub or Summit Shop as the top. Some hearty cyclists will do the extra 300m up from there (behind the pub) to the car park. The mast past the quarry (more in the center of the peninsula and as far as I can guess the true top), as you said, is generally strictly for those on knobby tires. Well done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭JH_raheny

only picked up my bike the other day, first time out over the weekend, wonder how long that climb will take, probably about 1/2 hour LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭superlav

Great conditions for an assault on Howth tonight.

Bagged a PB of 7:37 :D but still in same place on Strava table :(

You've gone above and beyond the call of duty! Most people would stick to the main road (either side) and consider the Summit Pub or Summit Shop as the top. Some hearty cyclists wnill do the extra 300m up from there (behind the pub) to the car park. The mast past the quarry (more in the center of the peninsula and as far as I can guess the true top), as you said, is generally strictly for those on knobby tires. Well done!

Noice! Chuffed now. 23Cs are a great trail tyre, don't let anyone tell you different. I will be going up again from the city centre tomorrow or Friday. If anyone wants ti join me don't be shy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

christeb wrote: »
    8:17

First time timed up here, started from still (but clipped in). Paced it pretty well I think, as KO'ed on the green in front of the Summit Inn after.

Tried to do the Haggard climb after, had to turn around (I'm running a std chainset), I should have done a Jens on it.

2nd time timed up yesterday, did 8.22 on my yellow singlespeed. Pretty happy with that. Let's see can I break 8 on the racer next time up

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Zebrano

Second time up 11m42s
    lots of people out there this morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭donal2000

Been dying to give this challenge a bash for some time.

What would be a realistic time for a first timer who's been commuting 2+ years (16km+ per day)?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

donal2000 wrote: »

What would be a realistic time for a first timer who's been commuting 2+ years (16km+ per day)?

Climbings about 2 things, fitness and weight, every extra kg you have to haul up the hill is going to slow you down. You can be heavy and fit, but the hills will kill you.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DD Mikasa

Yeah only for the weight I'd be fast!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

No such thing as a realistic time IMHO. Time yourself the first time, go faster the second time, faster the third time ad infinitum. Three years ago, maybe more, I almost fell off the bike going up I was going so slowly. I can just about do sub-10s now and in cycling terms I'm still pretty big, 6'1" at just over 90kg. You're only up against yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭glennbhoy

8 M 45 sec tonight, hoping to break 8 over the summer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Personal record of 8:45 this morning. Happy with that!

You're only up against yourself.

And the wind!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    And the wind!

I guess, but sometimes it can be a help.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Will be out there on the hybrid on Monday if i'm healthy and the weather's ok.

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    Personal record of 8:45 this morning. Happy with that!

Great time, good job. I've been wanting to try this for a while. I'll be very happy to do it in under 10mins for my first attempt :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

First timed attempt at the Sutton side segment last Thurs evening.

3.7km, 323W, 169bpm, 68kg, 08:05.

Need more power!

Road surfaces in that part of the world are shíte!

Second go at the Sutton side this evening.

07:26, 330W, 171bpm.

Decent tailwind which seemed to make a huge difference.

Might have another go at the end of the season...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Lumen wrote: »

Given the power is near enough the same, I take it he tailwind is worth 40 secs odd?

Inquitus wrote: »
    Given the power is near enough the same, I take it he tailwind is worth 40 secs odd?

With more knowledge of the profile this time round I was going harder up the steeper bits and easier on the flat/downhill sections, which is more aerodynamically efficient (I think) - don't fight the wind.

That said, I reckon there could well be 30 seconds difference depending on wind conditions.

Plenty of scope for excuses anyway!

Inquitus wrote: »

And you must have piled on at least a few kg with the easter eggs...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

i really must try this sometime.

Spotted somebody on a black Canyon heading up that way this evening around 6pm'ish. Anybody on here?

Spotted somebody on a black Canyon heading up that way this evening around 6pm'ish. Anybody on here?

Me!

Me!

You were fairly flying it :D

Good job on your time.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement