Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2011/2012

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Confab wrote: »
    Let's be honest hear, widescale snow is probably a no-go now.

Way too early in the winter for a statement like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Blizzard 2010

Let's be honest hear, widescale snow is probably a no-go now.
    Hmm Winter doesnt start for another forthnight:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Hmm Winter doesnt start for another forthnight:D

Bah, I say. Bah! Here's to a warm winter. Bring on global warming!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Vizual Pics

Interesting to read MT's weather updates from this time last year, we were just after a big storm and then the weather began to change to the cold stuff...http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055579971&page=110

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

Bah, I say. Bah! Here's to a warm winter. Bring on global warming!

TRO....... Ah, forget it! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 iwillrocku

A guy sent me this
    I think it's good news :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭Speak Now

iwillrocku wrote: »
    A guy sent me this
    I think it's good news :confused::confused:

Good news if you like mild and wet south westerlies...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

BBC's monthly overview not too encouraging either (below). Mind you I remember in 2009 November and early December were really mild but the weather got colder on 7 December and stayed that way for the rest of the winter with extreme cold for most of the period from 17 Dec to 10 Jan. That said I remember many winters where it was really wet and mild until mid December and then.....it stayed really wet and mild until May. In fact you'd have to say we are due one of these more normal winters.........

Published at 11:00, 14 November
    Next update at 11:00, 21 November
    Summary
    Mild at first, turning unsettled and cooler later
    The first couple of weeks of November were generally mild both by day and night with very little frost to speak of and that general theme looks set to continue. While there may be some relatively cooler days to come this week, daytime temperatures will still be a little bit above the seasonal average and will probably rise a bit by the end of the week, staying that way into next. The average temperature for this time of year ranges from about 8 or 9 Celsius in Aberdeen to 10 or 11 Celsius in London. On Sunday 13th we saw 18C at Staverton - a good example of just how mild it has been.
    Monday 14 November 2011 to Sunday 20 November 2011
    Turning unsettled later this week
    It'll be a cloudy start to the week practically everywhere, the best of any sunshine on offer will be in the northwest of the UK. For most though there will be a lot of cloud and consequently a cooler day than of late. As drier air moves in from the near continent we should begin to evaporate that cloud so Tuesday looks a brighter day for many, although still quite grey in the northeast. Midweek we will start to see a change coming in from the west. Cloud and rain will be gathering, that will slowly spread east across most of the UK on Thursday allowing an active Atlantic low to move in for the end of the week bringing wind and rain to most parts and that sets up a much more unsettled weekend In spite of cloudier skies at times, temperatures will still be above average for most and well above average for many, especially the southern half of the UK. While there will be some rainfall, amounts will be below or well below expectations for all parts. In terms of sunshine, it looks like southwest England and Wales will see the lion's share of that.
    Monday 21 November 2011 to Sunday 27 November 2011
    The mild theme continues
    High pressure over the near continent and low pressure near Iceland will generate a west to southwesterly airflow across the UK and that will keep the generally mild theme going. In fact temperatures are set to be above or well above average across all parts. With the air coming in from the west or southwest we can expect some rain, and it looks like it could be quite wet in Wales, the Midlands and the southwest with rainfall amounts elsewhere closer to, or a little below, the norm. Northwest Scotland will probably see the best of the sunshine. Confidence for this period is not as high as it is for week one.
    Monday 28 November 2011 to Sunday 11 December 2011
    More unsettled and turning cooler
    Confidence for this period drops a bit further but the main signal, at the moment, is for a much more unsettled period. Low pressure systems are likely to move from west to east bringing quite a bit of rain to the northwest of the UK. East Anglia and Scotland will probably see the best of any sunshine. There is likely to be some variation in temperature with Northern Ireland, Eastern Scotland and the Midlands staying on the mild side but elsewhere temperatures will probably be falling back to normal. Normal for this stage in December is about 7 Celsius in Glasgow and 9C in London.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭pauldry

no weather today

mild and meh - same till end of month at least

november has become noweatherber

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

Let's forget about the rest of November and focus on the proper winter months:D It could well be late dec/early jan (like two years ago) when we get a dumping of snow. Remember, February can be a good month for snow too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

pauldry wrote: »
    no weather today

mild and meh - same till end of month at least

november has become noweatherber

What you on about?! Its lovely out there. Nice for once to be able to go outside without getting wet!
    I love snow just as much as anyone but I'll take a mild dry day over rain any time ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

rhonin wrote: »
    What you on about?! Its lovely out there. Nice for once to be able to go outside without getting wet!
    I love snow just as much as anyone but I'll take a mild dry day over rain any time ;)

Tbh I can't stan the greyness and bleakness of the place when its cloudy and meh, especially at this time of year when it gets dark early. Miserable stuff:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

MUSEIST wrote: »
    Tbh I can't stan the greyness and bleakness of the place when its cloudy and meh, especially at this time of year when it gets dark early. Miserable stuff:(

Yeah I know what you mean but the last few days have been pleasant enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭ff9999

suitseir wrote: »
    I remember this time last year. It was colder but I have a pic on my phone of seriously cold weather towards end of November. In fact, I flew out of Dublin Airport on 30th. November and it was so bad that we were lucky to get airborne!

I spent yesterday at a beach in Co. Clare....the temp was 17 degrees...people were out there enjoying the weather....even in short sleeves. It was windy but extremely mild and pleasant!!!! I hope this weather continues....even got the grass cut!! Yippeeee!!!

So much for all the cold calls I am getting at the moment about uprgading insulation and upgrading boiler etc..........

I am hoping for a MILD CHRISTMAS!!!! But I can only hope!!!

In the most unparliamentary language.. F YOU I want my Winter cold & snowy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

This hazy crappy dull weather is sooo annoying ! ... Its only nice first thing in the morning! :(

* Rocks back and forth .... " I need snow i need snow .. crispy, clear cold icy day ".. *

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mcriot29

Any one know the forecaster the postman guy is there a link to this years forecast from him or anyone know what he thinks this winter will be like iv heard he says mild

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭pauldry

As bressie sings

q_q It cant stay mild forever q_q
    u young

and he did used to sing with "the blizzards"

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

mcriot29 wrote: »
    Any one know the forecaster the postman guy is there a link to this years forecast from him or anyone know what he thinks this winter will be like iv heard he says mild

hey mcriot - there's a thread here somewhere called 'Michael puts the freeze on an arctic winter' or something like that - it'll be on page three or four by now I'd say.

He doesn't really give a forecast as such - he just says he doesn't see any signs of it turning cold (from looking at nature.)

So far I have to say he's proving more accurate than the rest - I'm still banking on MT's version of events though and looking forward to Jan!

time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

mcriot29 wrote: »

Here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056426210

He is forecasting no snow this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

it annoys me so much how little anybody outside boards, knows about weather! some of my friends at school were talking about whether they think itll snow or not this year, and they all agreed that they dont think its going to snow as its been so mild recently, ugh thats so retarded, i really wanted to punch them and ramble on with my weatherfacts about how infact a mild october and or november increases chances of cold winter , and all the forecasters going for cold winter and sunspots blah blah blah but i held my tongue because i didnt want people to know im secretly a weather nerd:p
    so i just gave a very uneducated answer and said instead'' oh i think its definitely going to snow cus weve had lots of bad winters the last ew years so itll probably be cold again this year'':p idiots!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

bb1234567 wrote: »
    it annoys me so much how little anybody outside boards, knows about weather! some of my friends at school were talking about whether they think itll snow or not this year, and they all agreed that they dont think its going to snow as its been so mild recently, ugh theyre so retarded, i really wanted to punch them all for being so ignorant and ramble on with my weatherfacts about how infact a mild october and or november increases chances of cold winter , and all the forecasters going for cold winter and sunspots blah blah blah but i held my tongue because i didnt want people to know im secretly a weather nerd:p
    so i just gave a very uneducated answer and said instead'' oh i think its definitely going to snow cus weve had lots of bad winters the last ew years so itll probably be cold again this year'':p idiots!

Just because they don't have the same interests as you doesn't make them retarded or idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

baraca wrote: »
    Just because they don't have the same interests as you doesn't make them retarded or idiots.

Have to agree with Baraca there:)

Quote at bb1234567

"how infact a mild october and or november increases chances of cold winter"

Thats just wishful thinking:pac: and it doesnt give you the right to criticize their views on the coming weather - one of yee will be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭damino

Bring on the cold and snow:) Its beats this rubbish mild weather and its going to gray, damp and dreary over the next few days:mad:
    I see that Ireland and the UK are currently warmer than Eastern Europe with the likes of Turkey and countries in the Middle East such as Syria. Now if the winds change we could have temperatures of 10C below average like last year;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭youngblood

I've just cancelled my order for 200 sleds/sleighs

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Ahorseofaman

bb1234567 wrote: »
    it annoys me so much how little anybody outside boards, knows about weather! some of my friends at school were talking about whether they think itll snow or not this year, and they all agreed that they dont think its going to snow as its been so mild recently, ugh theyre so retarded, i really wanted to punch them all for being so ignorant and ramble on with my weatherfacts about how infact a mild october and or november increases chances of cold winter , and all the forecasters going for cold winter and sunspots blah blah blah but i held my tongue because i didnt want people to know im secretly a weather nerd:p

starting to sound like Owen C there .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

He has moved to Germany I hear

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

youngblood wrote: »
    I've just cancelled my order for 200 sleds/sleighs

Your not the only one:)

baraca wrote: »

ye your right:o but it just annoys me y'know..

pad199207 wrote: »
    Have to agree with Baraca there:)

Quote at bb1234567

"how infact a mild october and or november increases chances of cold winter"

Thats just wishful thinking:pac: and it doesnt give you the right to criticize their views on the coming weather - one of yee will be wrong

i know its wishful thinking but saying because its mild recently definitely means itll be mild winter isnt right either :p

• Advertisement

ye kind of emabrassed by my post now:o didnt think i'd sound like such an ahole in it, soryy!:p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement