Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MICHAEL PUTS THE ‘FREEZE’ ON A WHITE WINTER AND ARCTIC-LIKE CONDITIONS

Options
  • 20-10-2011 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭

Ireland’s most famous amateur weatherman has said there is 'SNOW WAY' Donegal is going to be plunged into artic-like conditions this winter.

Michael.jpeg

Postman Michael Gallagher has successfully predicted snowfalls for the last number of years from his base in the hills of Donegal.

But Michael, from Glenfin, says he simply can’t understand why everyone is saying the country is going to be covered in snow and freezing conditions for months on end.

“I simply don’t know where these forecasts are coming form. I can see no signs of it.

“We might have a little snow but I don’t think it’s going to be as bad as the past couple of years.

“I can see us getting plenty of rain and frost but I can’t see the huge falls of snow and freezing temperatures which everyone seems to be predicting,” he said.

Michael, who famously forced bookmaker Paddy Power to pay out €70,000 in early bets after predicting a white Christmas two years ago, says there will be plenty of storms.

Only recently he was approached by a customer while doing his rounds who had found a frog behind a flowerpot.

“When we lifted the flowerpot the frog just wouldn’t move. I just knew that was a bad sign.

“A couple of days later we had those bad storms. The frog knew it was going to be bad and didn’t plan on moving anywhere,” said Michael.

Apart from Michael, another hugely-respected weatherman who does not think we are going to shiver too much this winter is Peter O’Donnell from www.irishweatheronline.com.

He said January next could be the coldest month but it is unlikely to be as bad as last year.

"In general, this is not expected to be as dramatic as last year, and the severe cold is not expected to continue through most of December.

“There may be roughly equal spells of mild and cold weather with strong winds, some heavy rainfalls and some snow or ice."

http://www.donegaldaily.com/2011/10/19/michael-puts-the-freeze-on-a-white-winter-and-arctic-like-conditions/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Didn't he say snow for St. Paddys Day back in March.

I think he got lucky last Winter

edit I was right

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/kfeyqleyqloj/rss2/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

"there may be roughly equal spells of mild and cold weather with strong winds, some heavy rainfalls and some snow or ice"

cant go wrong there Mr Postman :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

"there may be roughly equal spells of mild and cold weather with strong winds, some heavy rainfalls and some snow or ice"

In other words, there will be some weather sometime in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

That quote is taken from MT's forecast - not the postman's

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

alfa beta wrote: »
    That quote is taken from MT's forecast - not the postman's
    Copped that myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Lucreto wrote: »
    Didn't he say snow for St. Paddys Day back in March.

I think he got lucky last Winter

edit I was right

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/kfeyqleyqloj/rss2/

He didnt get it right 100% of the time.
    But what forecaster has?

Roughly 70% of the time hes been very good at his predictions.
    Last winter wasnt just a lucky one, if you live in Donegal you would know this as hes been forecasting for many years and its only in the past year or 2 the media from Dublin has jumped on the bandwagon.
    He said there would be a white Christmas in 2009 when no one else was calling for it and we got a white christmas here in Donegal that time. Over the years here in Donegal he was very good for predicting the snowy periods.
    Hes observing nature so of course hes not going to be right all the time, but many believe its a good indication as to what weather to expect.
    If people want to make fun of him for his methods then thats human nature, but seeing responses such as above about "cant go wrong there mr.postman" when infact the quoted forecast was from M.T. just shows how people can react differently depending on which mouth the words are coming out of.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,353 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

My first response was to say, I would request that you leave me out of this, I have no agenda concerning other forecasters or their methods, and discussions of their forecasts or methods should focus on those subjects, not my forecasts which are probably over-exposed in other threads already. Thanks.

I guess it was the newspaper story that made the connection, so apologies to forum posters, but same principle applies, would suggest this thread from now on just deals with the postman's winter forecast, discussions of mine are already available elsewhere. Thanks x 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

So the postman is basing his prediction on a frog not moving from behind a plant pot.............:rolleyes::pac:

Let's just wait and see! I'm trying to ignore the negative and focus on the positive!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

leahyl wrote: »
    So the postman is basing his prediction on a frog not moving from behind a plant pot.............:rolleyes::pac:

Let's just wait and see! I'm trying to ignore the negative and focus on the positive!

i'm predicting a washout particularly for Munster from Sunday on until Tuesday! Leahyl i think you should start a thread..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

Its difficult to predict Irish forecast 5 days in advance, so 3/4 months is away with the fairies.

The article lauds hime for being correct 2 years ago, but this guy has been forecasting for years. - And quite wrong on every other occasion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

He's very wishy washy about his forecast to be honest. It's easy to say November and December will be mild months because they usually are. The last 2 years have been exceptional and unlikely to be repeated soon, if the law of averages is used. January and February have been relatively kind in recent years, so you might expect them to be a bit harsher this winter, as I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

i'm predicting a washout particularly for Munster from Sunday on until Tuesday! Leahyl i think you should start a thread..

:pac:......*goes to start thread...................just kidding! You should start it - I support you in your endeavour!:pac:

:pac:......*goes to start thread...................just kidding! You should start it - I support you in your endeavour!:pac:

thanks for the backing..not sure if i could handle the pressure though or that it justifies a warning just yet...it would probably end up dry and sunny if i did.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭pauldry

No harm having lots of weather threads (even if they are all about same weather twice!)

Lots of the time I go on this im looking new threads on weather to read.

Theyr like buses. You wait ages for a new one to come along then two of the same one come along!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I don't think it's possible to do a long range forecast no matter who's doing it!
    The UK Met Office, with all the technology at their disposal stopped doing them as it's just not possible to predict the weather months in advance.
    That's my opinion anyway!

As requested!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75032292#post75032292

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭desolate sun

God this thread is the most depressing thing Ive read today. :(
    I want snow so badly. Please be wrong, Mr postman!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

This morning, inspired by "The Postman", I lifted a flower pot and sure enough there was a frog refusing to move, so I got out my power hose and blasted him and his company of worms down the drain.

There now, Postie's spell is broken ... bring on the snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭jimmy.d

gbee wrote: »
    This morning, inspired by "The Postman", I lifted a flower pot and sure enough there was a frog refusing to move, so I got out my power hose and blasted him and his company of worms down the drain.

frog is only looking for somewhere to hibernate with so little water they have no where else so it will find the dampest spot nothing to do with the weather

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I don't think it's possible to do a long range forecast no matter who's doing it!
    The UK Met Office, with all the technology at their disposal stopped doing them as it's just not possible to predict the weather months in advance.
    That's my opinion anyway!

I think they still do them, they just don't make them available to the public. if you recall last year it leaked to one of the English papers that the UK met office had warned the British Government to prepare for a severe wintry outbreak in early December.
    They must have seen similar patterns upstream, albeit using different methodology, to M.T. in the months beforehand, that made them confident a severe cold spell would take place. Their monthly update from late October onwards was spot on, but after Christmas their updates were less accurate- so as you say no long range forecasts will get it right all of the time. This needs to be kept in mind as it's unfair and wholly unrealistic to put any forecaster on a pedestal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭damino

I remember reading the postman's prediction for the past two years. He was right about a white christmas but remember some of the prediction he made was incorrect. A question should be asked of his prediction; if there is a lot of frost in his forecast, does that make his winter a cold one? Some of the statement seems to be plagiarism from MT's forecast. So maybe the journalist took a bit from the Postman's and a bit from MT's and but the two together to get a reaction from us all. I was checking on the Internet with regards to sunspots, and one or two websites have said the nos of sunspot have gone up recently but the activity rate from each is still quite small. Hopefully we will all get snow this winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

gbee wrote: »

Jesus, that was a bit harsh, the poor frog. I think they're a threatened species too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Almost as good as MT Cranium's stuff, the entire summer it was sunshine and showers in different areas, really insightful.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Gwan the Postman. Bring on a mild winter with frogs leppin' about the place with wild abandon!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

My first response was to say, I would request that you leave me out of this, I have no agenda concerning other forecasters or their methods, and discussions of their forecasts or methods should focus on those subjects, not my forecasts which are probably over-exposed in other threads already. Thanks.

I guess it was the newspaper story that made the connection, so apologies to forum posters, but same principle applies, would suggest this thread from now on just deals with the postman's winter forecast, discussions of mine are already available elsewhere. Thanks x 2.

Would take story and it's associations with a pnch of salt.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75010669

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭jonnyj

anyone notice all the berries on the hawthorns and skeachs this year, they're totally red with them

its an old wives saying that the more berries the harder the winter, must be no skeachs in donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

I wish the snow obsession would end. Last year is a once in every 20 year event. Come back to me in 2030 :p

The guys prediction is pretty much describing a typical Irish winter. As are others. So I'm going to go with a typical Irish winter happening and not expect anything out of the ordinary.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

that postman is away with the frogs / i mean fairies :eek::D

dsmythy wrote: »
    I wish the snow obsession would end. Last year is a once in every 20 year event. Come back to me in 2030 :p

I'll almost certainly be dead by then.

• Advertisement

NIALL D wrote: »
    that postman is away with the frogs / i mean fairies :eek::D

♪ ♫ Frog legs and fairy wings ♪♫,
    Flower pots and dew, ♪♪♪
    All kind of everything ......... ♫♫♫ :cool:

Advertisement