Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 12mb/25mb/50mb/100mb BB confirmed.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

stimpson wrote: »
    Looks like you are correct:

Yup, that is what I was looking for.

Great news, it looks like this new modem is well future proofed.

It supports a total bandwidth of 444Mb/s down, 122Mb/s up shared, which should make a 250Mb/s down 50Mb/s up a realistic possibility with this modem in future.

Assuming they have the channels available for it, they might need to turn off the analogue TV service to make this a reality, in particular for the upload speed.
    vibe666 wrote: »
    it's the Thompson TWG870 and the user manual is online here: www.upc-cablecom.ch/original_thomson_twg870_manual.pdf

I've read the manual and I've a similar Thomson modem for my DSL service from Smart, it looks pretty similar. Looks like a pretty solid modem with all the standard features, bridging, dynamic dns, port forwarding, etc.

So looks better then the cisco modem.
    vibe666 wrote: »
    you're welcome to come round and play if you like? :D

might be time to move house tho, unless you can wait to get to you?

:D

Funny thing is if I look out the window of my office, I can see the UPC offices just across the road here in East Point (and no that doesn't mean I work for Eircom either). I'm keeping my eye on them :pac:

BTW thanks everyone for the thanks. Despite not being able to get UPC, I'm really excited about what this means for the Irish BB market. I no longer need to be embarrassed when my silicon valley based colleagues ask me what sort of BB do we have here in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Got a call back within 30 minutes of putting my details in and have a free technician install for Saturday. Very impressive service so far. The representative i spoke to said that most dect phones will work with the modem so i can try my phone to see if it will work before having to order additional phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

There seems to be no back log now with the tech's coming out to install.

From calling them up to order the service to booking the tech, its very painless with little to no waiting.

If he turns on between 9 and 1 this Saturday is another thing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

M.J.M.C wrote: »
    There seems to be no back log now with the tech's coming out to install.

From calling them up to order the service to booking the tech, its very painless with little to no waiting.

If he turns on between 9 and 1 this Saturday is another thing :D

Do they still ring in advance to confirm the appointment. I know mine is on Saturday but I cant remember what time frame they said! Id be afraid id sleep through them at the door!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Yes they rang me this morning for tomorrows appointment, I got an automated call also.

fionny wrote: »
    Do they still ring in advance to confirm the appointment. I know mine is on Saturday but I cant remember what time frame they said! Id be afraid id sleep through them at the door!

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

i have vodafone at moment but considering switching to UPC . Is there any chance of UPC blocking torrents in near future? I think i heard something about some internet providers blocking torrent sites.

i have vodafone at moment but considering switching to UPC . Is there any chance of UPC blocking torrents in near future? I think i heard something about some internet providers blocking torrent sites.

I would say of all the providers UPC are the least likely to block them given they are on their own infrastructure and that they didn't bow to the IRMA's demands like eircon did.

Also alot of companies use torrents to distribute patches to customers so I dont really see it happening too soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

Yeah mate 1 hour before hand they buzz you she said.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/1011/breaking32.html

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭JethroC

Am on 20MB and Digital Value+ at the moment which is costing €57, there doesn't seem to be any extra incentive to go the Digital Value+, 25MB BB and Phone package for €60 as I won't use the phone and the 20MB BB is sufficent at the moment (I hit the 250GB CAP nearly every month but have downloads going 24/7 limited to around 100kb/s).
    Anyone know if they'll do a better deal for just the 25MB BB and Digital Value+?
    Also, I don't see anything mentioned anywhere about the CAP for 20MB BB should I choose to stay on it. Will it still stay at 250GB?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Just done it there no problem at all!. €10 extra for upgrade to the fibre power ultimate with 50MB. Only thing that went wrong was that there was an IT issue so they couldnt contact my tv signal. So i just have to ring tomorrow to ask for the same. He said i will still get the modem delivered by courier by the end of the week and its just a matter of plugging out the old and in with the new one.

Ah yeah. So i ring up first thing this morning to be told by the girl straight off that some IT guy will ring me. No IT guy is going to ring me i know it.
    Whats my move. Ring and ask for loyalty dept?

• Advertisement

Ah yeah. So i ring up first thing this morning to be told by the girl straight off that some IT guy will ring me. No IT guy is going to ring me i know it.
    Whats my move. Ring and ask for loyalty dept?

Give them an hour then ring back and keep annoying them.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Bruno Batista

As exciting as 100mb are, why oh why must they limit the downloads?!
    (as according to first post on thread)

Guess I'll stay with my "crappy" eircom 24mb, spend more but at least it's real unlimited downloads (1 tera something like last month).
    Unless anyone knows if there's plans for UPC to offer unlimited downloads?

Guess I'll stay with my "crappy" eircom 24mb, spend more but at least it's real unlimited downloads (1 tera something like last month).

500GB is loads for me any at least UPC dont monitor your downloads and bow to the demands of the IRMA... there is nothing that would convince me to use eircom.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

UPC doesn't actually have a cap as such, it has a fair usage policy, which it may or may not act on if you go above the stated limits.

Eircoms "unlimited" 24mb service also has a similar fair usage policy of 250GB. Again they may or may not enforce it.

500GB is loads for me any at least UPC dont monitor your downloads and bow to the demands of the IRMA... there is nothing that would convince me to use eircom.

Never had any problems with them, and when you're using usenet and downloading 1080p rips, 500GB go away like that :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,407 ✭✭✭Nollog

Unlimited monthly usage allowance

With Next Generation Broadband Regular you have an unlimited monthly allowance. This is subject to a fair usage policy of 250GB per month. For more information see the standard Broadband Terms and Conditions.

Monthly unlimited usage allowance

With Next Generation Broadband Ultimate you have an unlimited monthly usage allowance. This is subject to a fair usage policy of 250GB per month. For more information see the standard Broadband Terms and Conditions.

Unlimited usage allowance

With up to 24 Mb broadband you have an unlimited monthly usage allowance. This is subject to a fair usage policy of 250GB per month. For more information see the standard Broadband Terms and Conditions.

"Unlimited" at its finest.
    UPC do this too.

bk wrote: »
    UPC doesn't actually have a cap as such, it has a fair usage policy, which it may or may not act on if you go above the stated limits.

Eircoms "unlimited" 24mb service also has a similar fair usage policy of 250GB. Again they may or may not enforce it.

Hum.
    And does UPC actively enforce theirs?

Never had any problems with them, and when you're using usenet and downloading 1080p rips, 500GB go away like that :P

I do use the usenet and I have never had an issue. Each to their own though, I think UPC is a great service and much cheaper then eircom.

You pay 61.73 for 24meg bb and off peak calls... I pay 57euro for 100meg and off peak calls...*smirk* and it seems you have 250gig I have 500gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,407 ✭✭✭Nollog

Hum.

depends on the area.
    I've used 20-100 GB more than my cap a few months and no letters.
    Some people report that they went 1 or 2 GB over and got the letter of forced upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Hum.

Depends on how badly and often you abuse the system. You usually get a warning letter or two before you are charged. Go over you limit a bit the odd month and you are generally ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭fozz

Hum.

They sure do...I was bumped to the 'Ultimate' or some such pack for a couple of months after going over the limit.
    I got one letter and then a couple of months later I saw my bill was well up! So I controlled myself and called em saying I am now back within the standards and they reduced me accordingly....so yep, they do watch it!

Gonna call now and try go from 30Mb to 100 and see what hoops I need to jump through...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Give them an hour then ring back and keep annoying them.

Something new i didnt see discussed yet here. So i rang up and got put onto tech help. Very helpful guy said boom its done now give it 30 minutes and reboot and youve got 50MB!.
    I said wait wait waaaiiiiitttt waaaiiiiitttt this all sounds great but dont i need a new modem for this!?. He said no the modem you got when we installed the fibre power essential last month is enabled to be moderated by us so ive just knocked you up to 50MB now!.

I asked "But what about what the fellers on the forum?"

EDIT: I just got a call back, the guy apoligised and said they do actually have to install a new modem or adapt the current one.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Goolay

Fantastic deal. I was paying €42 for 15MB BB + €7 standalone charge.

Looks like I could get 25MB & Phone for same price.

Very tempted to upgrade to the 50MB offer.

Quick question, I recently bought this new wireless router - http://komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_01COM/18_NETWORK/14_ROUTER/productdetails/80000142/NETGEAR_RangeMax_Open_Source_Wireless_N_Gigabit/WNR3500L_100PES/default.aspx

Would I still need to order the new modem from UPC when upgrading?
    I still have the old Scientific Atlantic modem that came with the broadband back in 2006.

cheers

I do use the usenet and I have never had an issue. Each to their own though, I think UPC is a great service and much cheaper then eircom.

You pay 61.73 for 24meg bb and off peak calls... I pay 57euro for 100meg and off peak calls...*smirk* and it seems you have 250gig I have 500gig.

Way I see it, I'm paying more for a real unlimited download service (something like 2 TBs the last two months, stupid blu-ray quality series...)

Now, I would LOVE to change to UPC and get 100mbs, but not for the headache of having to count my downloads, since as other posters just attested to, UPC do (mostly) enforce their download limits.

Still, I'll keep an eye out for the day they stop putting arbitrary limits to what we can download and then jump on it!

(and yes, I am well jealous of 100megs, you bastards!)

Dublin579 wrote: »
    Would I still need to order the new modem from UPC when upgrading?
    I still have the old Scientific Atlantic modem that came with the broadband back in 2006.
    cheers

You shouldnt need anything new for the 25mb pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Some good looking pings I'm seeing on this thread (13, 19). Is it peoples experience that pings are going down with the new equipment?

I asked "But what about what the fellers on the forum?"

EDIT: I just got a call back, the guy apoligised and said they do actually have to install a new modem or adapt the current one.

Sounds like some of the "fellers on the forum" know better :P

Although, if their way of punishing you for going over the limit is to move you up a package or something, what happens when you're already on the ULTIMATE OF ALL ULTIMATES package?

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Goolay

You shouldnt need anything new for the 25mb pack.

Apologies, meant to say this would be if I was to upgrade to 50MB deal.

cheers

• Advertisement

Still, I'll keep an eye out for the day they stop putting arbitrary limits to what we can download and then jump on it!

Well things seem to be going backwards in this regards so I wouldnt hold my breath, I would imagine eircom will cotton on sooner or later to you so be prepared :P

Advertisement