Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[US] True Blood - Season 2 [** Spoilers **]

Options
  • 15-06-2009 1:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭

truebloodposter_l.jpg
    Season 2 of True Blood picks up where Season 1 left off. Sookie is grateful to have Bill back but must deal with his new female vampire protege, Jessica. Sam wrestles with several issues: losing Sookie to Bill, hiding his own supernatural ability and dealing with a ghost from his past, Maryann. As Tara settles into her new lush surroundings at Maryann's along with a new lush love interest in Eggs, she must deal with the murder of a relative. Jason, confused and seeking direction in his life, finds solace in the anti-vampire church the Fellowship of the Sun.
    HBO | TVIV | IMDb

My favourite new show of last year is back.. discussion from tomorrow!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

does anybody get tired of that southern thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

does anybody get tired of that southern thing

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭matrim

Can't wait for this. Should be watching it tomorrow so will post my reaction to it then

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Nobody else watched it yet then?

I liked it! They pick up straight away from last season and no, it's not Lafayette in the car but Fake Voodoo Lady. No idea why she's been killed - I'm guessing Ensign Ro is behind it.
    Speaking of - what's the deal with her? She doesn't appear to age but she's not a vampire. She's not a were creature either since they appear to age. My guess is she's some sort of vampire/were mix. It stands up a little as she looks to be creating some sort of breeding program, doing a bizarre set up at the pool. Sam's linked in there too as I'm figuring she was collecting his DNA for some nefarious purpose... hopefully not for Sam Jr.

And what next for Lafayette? Having him chained up and pushing a wheel - do we know what the wheel is for? They're in the basement of Fangtasia so what revolved around up there?

Sookie's vampire love moments - going a bit further now with the blood drinking which will presumably be explored further. Also not too chuffed about Paedo Uncle's death but not really that upset either...

And Jason Stackhouse - he's really dumber than a stack of bricks isn't he? Still he kept his clothes on (mostly) for the whole episode - that a new record for him? Well it isn't one he should try to better...

Other good things in there too and I reckon the Church will play a bigger role this year.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

ixoy wrote: »
    Speaking of - what's the deal with her?

I've heard from someone who read the books that she is a Though I have no idea what that means as far as her plan is.
    And what next for Lafayette? Having him chained up and pushing a wheel - do we know what the wheel is for? They're in the basement of Fangtasia so what revolved around up there?

Perhaps it powers Erik's hairdryer? I loved how he arrived menacingly in the basement with highlight foils in his hair. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

Ha, just recognised Erik aka 'Iceman' from Generation Kill - another HBO classic.

Speaking of - what's the deal with her? She doesn't appear to age but she's not a vampire. She's not a were creature either since they appear to age. My guess is she's some sort of vampire/were mix. It stands up a little as she looks to be creating some sort of breeding program, doing a bizarre set up at the pool. Sam's linked in there too as I'm figuring she was collecting his DNA for some nefarious purpose... hopefully not for Sam Jr.

My first thought was that she was a were person too, but now I'm not sure. I'm starting to think that she could be some kind of witch. I kind of agree with the breeding program.

The episode was a good start to the season, and there are a couple of interesting storylines starting.

Does anyone else think that Layfette looks completely different now. I thought they had changed the actor until I looked it up

matrim wrote: »
    Does anyone else think that Layfette looks completely different now. I thought they had changed the actor until I looked it up

Yes, I didn't even recognise him for a while. When did he get kidnapped? I don't remember that happening in the last series. I'm guessing that Erik is trying to find out what happened to the vampire that was supplying Layfette with V, the one that Jason and the bird kidnapped and killed. Erik probably thinks Layfette had something to do with it. As for the wheel, didn't they need to turn it to get to the toilet/bucket? I think that was the only purpose.

Seems fairly obvious that Maryann is trying to conduct some sort of breeding experiment, I just wonder did she tell Sam this when she came to see him in the bar. What is she though? She's very strong, by the way she smacked the servant guy down, and as mentioned, she doesn't age. Not reading that spoiler link as I don't want to know yet.

I found the Sookie/Bill moments a bit crap to be honest. Jessica could be good though, she's going to inject a bit of life (pun intended) between them.

Jason, still an idiot, still great. He's so gullible it's brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

It was bit of a slow one.. but enjoyable all the same!

As jor-el said, I forgot Lafayette was even kidnapped. I also forgot about Bill killing "Paedo Uncle".

Before I watched the second season of 'Breaking Bad', I watched a 15 minute recap of season 1. That would have been useful before starting 'True Blood' again.
    jor el wrote:
    As for the wheel, didn't they need to turn it to get to the toilet/bucket? I think that was the only purpose.
    The wheel thing reminded me of The Simpsons episode where Homer was underground moving a wheel (identical to the one in 'True Blood') while being being whipped to keep it moving. And it turned out he was making the plate holding the donuts spin! :D

Sookie saying to Jessica that tomorrow will just be between them.. "a girl's night". Jessica will try and drain Sookie the first chance she gets. Clearly, she's not gonna take to the synthetic blood at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

It was a really good opening episode to the second season. It started off right where season 1 left and then expanded on the newer stories added in the previous few episodes. Then to cap it all off it went completely mad for the last 2 minutes in the scene under Fangtasia. That scene was class. It was a lot better to show Eric pull the guys arm off using shadows and Lafayette's blood soaked face than some bad cgi.
    jor el wrote: »
    Yes, I didn't even recognise him for a while. When did he get kidnapped? I don't remember that happening in the last series. I'm guessing that Erik is trying to find out what happened to the vampire that was supplying Layfette with V, the one that Jason and the bird kidnapped and killed. Erik probably thinks Layfette had something to do with it. As for the wheel, didn't they need to turn it to get to the toilet/bucket? I think that was the only purpose.
    I agree. They want to know what happened to that vampire Eddie. They might see something in Layfette and make him a vampire to replace him.
    Seems fairly obvious that Maryann is trying to conduct some sort of breeding experiment, I just wonder did she tell Sam this when she came to see him in the bar. What is she though? She's very strong, by the way she smacked the servant guy down, and as mentioned, she doesn't age.
    Mary Ann seemed very knowledgeable about the mural of the Greek god and his mistress. I thought then that she is his mistress. Not sure what she is up to though.
    basquille wrote: »
    Sookie saying to Jessica that tomorrow will just be between them.. "a girl's night". Jessica will try and drain Sookie the first chance she gets. Clearly, she's not gonna take to the synthetic blood at all.
    Jessica will definitely drain Sookie if she gets a chance. I thought that she might have tried in this episode after Sookie cut her finger. Maybe that will come into play in the next episode?
    manster wrote: »
    Ha, just recognised Erik aka 'Iceman' from Generation Kill - another HBO classic.
    Ya it took me a few episodes last season to place him. I think it him having hair and a beard that threw me off. He's the coolest vampire in the show so far.

900th post

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Maybe it was obvious but I'm chuffed that I connected Lafayette's attack at the end of last Season to Eric's promise in Sam's bar that those who hurt his people will be punished. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Great start to the season. Absolutely loved it. Some of the accents seemed a bit off to me I have to admit. Bill seemed to be slipping with the accent or forcing a bit much in his scenes with schookie. Very interested to see how things progress. They ain't gonna kill LaFayette but will they turn him? Could be good I guess. I feel this season will be better than last as it's established and doesn't have to cope with the shaky 3-4 eps last season had.

If they turn LaFayette they would be doing him a massive favour. He'd be able to deal all the V his body could spare.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Great episode this week. Nice guess about Lafayette becoming a vampire.

Bellefluer is quality. "Epileptic on meth" lol

Yep, enjoyed this week's more than last week.

Bill's going to have to kill Jessica's family now surely.. and he was mighty maaaaaaaaaad at "Sssshokie!." And who can blame him? It was a stupid decision that was never going to end well.

The actor playing Reverend Steve was wrecking my head.. so familiar. And realised he was in an excellent and very-underated (and of course cancelled in it's prime) series called 'Saved' 2 or 3 years back.

Lafayette as a vampire is gonna be great!

This weeks episode was good. LaFayette will become a vampire, it'll be interesting to see how Jason takes it. It also looks like the Reverend Steve and his wife have something special planned for Jason.

We got a better insight to Mary Ann this week as well. She seems to give off something that creates an atmosphere of desire as seen by the people dancing, especially Andy. She ate a lot before that so I wonder does she need a lot of food to create the energy needed for her power?

Sookie was pretty stupid bringing Jessica to see her family. If Bill has to kill them it will be on her head. I think that he will just glimmer them though.

I'd forgotten that they like to leave every episode on a cliffhanger.

Bill's going to have to kill Jessica's family now surely.. and he was mighty maaaaaaaaaad at "Sssshokie!." And who can blame him? It was a stupid decision that was never going to end well.

Why does he have to kill them though?

I liked Jessica's impersonation of Bill "I have errands to run, errands that do not require your presence", and also Bill and Erik in the shop, when the assistant thought they were gay :)

The Maryann story progressed a bit. She can influence people, and make Sam change shape. Interesting. Lol at Bellefluer's "Epileptic on meth" comment.
    Lafayette as a vampire is gonna be great!

Assuming they turn him, and I guess they will.

I'm also guessing that the Reverend's wife (Mary I think) is going to end up shagging Jason, she seems quite enamored with him.

I wonder what the deal is with the new waitress? Surely there's something more to her than just a dizzy bumbling blonde, especially with the amount of attention paid to her in this episode.

Why does he have to kill them though?
    I reckon there's 2 reasons:

a) to put a dampener on the media attention on vampires "turning their little girl" if he let them live.
    b) purely to teach Jessica a lesson and possibly to prevent her from visiting her family again, and even killing them (or turning them) first.

He'll leave the little sister but I've a feeling at least the father is in for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

I liked Jessica's impersonation of Bill "I have errands to run, errands that do not require your presence", and also Bill and Erik in the shop, when the assistant thought they were gay :)

Both pretty funny moments, which was really needed because that opening was pretty bleak with the ripped apart redneck... (laughed at Erik's concern over blood in his hair though :)).
    I'm also guessing that the Reverend's wife (Mary I think) is going to end up shagging Jason, she seems quite enamored with him.

Have to agree 100% - she seemed smitten even in the previous episode a bit...

The silver ring is going to play into things too, probably save Jason's bacon at some point...
    I wonder what the deal is with the new waitress? Surely there's something more to her than just a dizzy bumbling blonde, especially with the amount of attention paid to her in this episode.

Yep, can't believe for a second that it's random filler - I'm guessing she may have some part to play in the larger Maryann story line though, based on their little exchange... Maybe she could replace Tara at the mansion if Tara moves out? Or is Tara somehow special to Maryann's plans? Dunno yet but looking forward to finding out :).

I've got to say, I thought I'd hate this show and only watched the first season after it had finished airing. But I did end up watching all 12 episodes in about 2-3 days and now I'm hooked! Season 2 seems to be shaping up nicely too...

J-blk wrote: »
    I've got to say, I thought I'd hate this show and only watched the first season after it had finished airing. But I did end up watching all 12 episodes in about 2-3 days and now I'm hooked! Season 2 seems to be shaping up nicely too...
    I think most people were the same..

• Advertisement

Ya, its pretty obvious that she likes him. Also the girl that gave him the ring.
    The silver ring is going to play into things too, probably save Jason's bacon at some point...
    It will definitely come in handy at some point. Eric might take a go at him for Eddie's death.

Yep, can't believe for a second that it's random filler - I'm guessing she may have some part to play in the larger Maryann story line though, based on their little exchange... Maybe she could replace Tara at the mansion if Tara moves out? Or is Tara somehow special to Maryann's plans? Dunno yet but looking forward to finding out :).
    She will have a bigger part to play but I don't think that Mary Ann will have much more to do with her. Unless she's going to try and get Sam with her?
    I think most people were the same..

I was just looking for something to watch and saw that this was HBO adn about vampires so I said that I'd give it a shot. I'm glad that I did and I've got a few others hooked on it since.

Have to agree 100% - she seemed smitten even in the previous episode a bit...

Nah, I don't think she's smitten I think she just has plans for him and he's playing right into them, which she's happy about. Especially when he went for her like "Some sort of muslim Buffy with a dick!":D

iguana wrote: »
    Nah, I don't think she's smitten I think she just has plans for him and he's playing right into them, which she's happy about.

Nah, there was definitely a lusty look in her eyes, on more than one occasion. Though I do agree that the Rev (and probably her) has some plan in mind for Jason.

They have racked up the monster \ fantasy factor a bit this year

We now have
    Maryann with her making people all sexual and lose inhabitation. And her disappearing pig
    The minotaur type creature that attacked sookie
    One of the vampires mentioned werewolves

On top of
    Vampires
    Whatever Sam is

I'm assuming that the minotaur is what killed the woman in the first episode.

I've a feeling it could be somehow related to Maryann, as she has the statue of a Greek goddess and the Minotaur is from Greek mythology aswell.

So first it attacked your one who had cheated Tara, then it attacked Sookie after she had tried to get Tara to move out of Maryanns house, so there's a potential link there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

I've a feeling it could be somehow related to Maryann, as she has the statue of a Greek goddess and the Minotaur is from Greek mythology aswell.

So first it attacked your one who had cheated Tara, then it attacked Sookie after she had tried to get Tara to move out of Maryanns house, so there's a potential link there

very good spot!

I saw this advertised ages ago and just never got round to watching it. But decided to give it ago and was hooked within 3 epiosde. Ended up watching all of the first series in a few days. Now up to date with America.

Some show, at this stage now I will watch ANY show if its made by HBO after they have brought us; Rome, Sopranoes, The Wire, Deadwood, Band of Brothers, etc. Infact I saw that guy who played Eric was in another show, Generation Kill, (which also had the guy who played Ziggy from series 2 of the wire). Only a 7 part mini series about a Marine Corp recon unit in the Iraq invasion but also very good. HBO did it again! And the 'sequel' to Band of Brothers, the Pacific, is out next year :D

Ooh, I like it. Perhaps it is Maryann?

Also, the dozy waitress is not a red herring, she has the same scars on her back that Sookie had after being attacked. So, the Minataur (for want of a better word) attacks a victim, but doesn't kill them, perhaps it only uses the poison to control the victim afterward. The waitress could be Maryann's spy.

So, the Minataur (for want of a better word) attacks a victim, but doesn't kill them, perhaps it only uses the poison to control the victim afterward. The waitress could be Maryann's spy.

Or she could be the Minotaur creature... The weird midget doctor lady said that the poison was like a komodo (sp?) dragon but different to what she had seen before. Maybe the creature reproduces or something that way, rather than kills. So maybe Daphne was infected earlier on... Don't know, just random guesses :).

Yes, good spot. I was thinking that Mary ann had something to do with the Minotaur given the Greek references. But didn't think of the link between the exorcist and Sookie. I think that the guy Tara is interested in 'Eggs' could be the Minotaur if he can shape shift.

I want to know what the story with the pig is? Is it a part of Mary ann? When we first saw her she was with it. Maybe its the reason she can eat so much?

A lot of other interesting developments this episode. Daphne moving in on Sam. She probably has something to do with Mary ann alright due to the scars. Jessica and Hoyt as well. She hadn't bitten him and seems to genuinely like him. Bill will more than likely forbid it though. The doctor that saved Sookie who tollerates the Vampires. She must know a lot about whats out there. Steve and especially Sarah really want Jason for something. I wonder if they are setting him up to kill Bill for Sookie's sake? He really is dumb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Another great episode. I'm glad to see Lafayette got away but slightly disappointed with how it was done because I was hoping they'd make him a vampire. Then again Lafayette seems really traumatised so that should make for an interesting storyline.

I thought Jason was great in this too, I really loved that scene where he explains why he thought vampires were alright. Too bad he's a dumbass because he was easily manipulated into going back.:pac:

• Advertisement

The Don wrote: »
    He really is dumb.

I laughed when Steve tells him that there's a war going on right now and he looks out the window to check :D.

Advertisement