Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭SteJer

danganabu wrote: »
    It's amazing what a win can bring from the woodwork, to all the regular and genuine posters here, and there are more here than on any other GAA thread imo, my heartiest congrats a faboulous win and I'll say no more in fear of upsetting the bandwagoners.

It brings out supporters who won't allow a Tipp "supporter" come on a Kilkenny hurling forum spouting rubbish about two of their defenders being comprehensively beaten by two Tipp players. I'm not sure if you are a troll and were looking to start something with your comment but the FACTS have proven your statement to be very inaccurate.

I wish when you say "I'll say no more" you would mean it but I feel we haven't heard the last from you on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

BoroMan32 wrote: »
    Imagine being a club hurler and having one proper match this weekend and then nothing until August. You'd wonder why anyone would bother.

Indeed it's the elephant in the room that the GAA pay lip service to.

Might the time have come to completely separate the League section of the Club scene and play it in the summer without the county players and then play off the Championship with the Inter County players when their season is over. Starting at the beginning of September as an open draw straight knockout with the four county semi finalists from the previous season getting a bye to the quarters and the other 8 teams playing a first round. Then the 4 first round losers could go into a relegation semi final to decide who goes down?

An obvious flaw would be the attractiveness of the club matches without the Inter County players but at least the club players would have a degree of certainty about their fixture list!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Grats

It's amazing what a win can bring from the woodwork, to all the regular and genuine posters here, and there are more here than on any other GAA thread imo, my heartiest congrats a faboulous win and I'll say no more in fear of upsetting the bandwagoners.

Fair play to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

I will have to class myself as unknowledgeable so, because I certainly wouldnt have said that the All Star full back was ''out of his depth'' because to me that would be a stupid conclusion to come to :confused:

A lot of counties aren't playing any club games in April.

Better off to start the inter-county championship in April, have the All-Ireland in early August and then let the clubs play from mid-August (or earlier as the county teams exit the championship).
    Then club teams could start their training in March or so aiming to peak mid to late Summer and forget about the 1 token match in April.

Village87 wrote: »
    Forde had a great game yesterday. Finished a great goal,, scored 2 points from play, easily won another 3 and set up one or two. Also Padraig Walsh has had a big influence in games over the last 2 months bursting out of defence, wasnt allowed do that yesterday, i personally thought Forse won his battle

Don't make the mistake of judging Forde's performance on the basis that he got the better of P Walsh. You could hardly class his goal as "great' in all honesty. He was totally unmarked, P Walsh's fault, and was handed the ball. What exactly did he do in the second half to suggest he had a great game? If his performance yesterday is classed a great one then Tipp have a long road ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Better off to start the inter-county championship in April, have the All-Ireland in early August and then let the clubs play from mid-August (or earlier as the county teams exit the championship).
    Then club teams could start their training in March or so aiming to peak mid to late Summer and forget about the 1 token match in April.

Agree completely, unfortuantly we simply have too many clubs and in particualr the dual clubs in Tipp to wait until August (although going on yesterday we might not have to wait that long :D) if we left it until August it would mean having to play midweek in order to meet provincail lub deadlines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Hawkeye6 wrote: »
    Two great wins in Nowlan Park yesterday. Well done to all, players, mamagement and county boards. 

To me the biggest talking point is the level of Lazy GAA Journalists there are in the country.

Two months ago, there was a campaign driven by the GAA journalists nationwide for “Cody to go”. He should go now or should have already gone! It will take too long to build a competitive team again. He should go with dignity, he owes Kilkenyn nothing. There is nothing coming on, Kilkenny haven’t won an Under-21 since 2008 etc. etc. blah blah… Answer, League Champions! 

It is “ok” for posters here to write rubbish, as they are not Professional Journalists that are required and paid to research and verify the merits of what they write.  Kilkenny GAA People in the know have been confident about the group of young players that are coming along, now and over the next few years (there may be some concern in 4/5 years’ time, but there is time to address that).  The young hopefuls have been well developed through their clubs, primary schools, some secondary schools and what has been despite much criticism a very good development squad system, which may not give the perfect underage results but does make sure they have the basic tools to fit into a senior panel when the time comes, with a small bit of work, which you would expect would need to be done. A squad system which doesn’t burn out the enthusiasm of the players by starting in October of the previous year for ages as young as Under-14. A squad system that was much maligned last year in the local newspaper by Enda McEvoy. I’m sure he will be reading this, like many other journalists looking for the info. Bottom line lads, this is not the place to look.  I’m sure Enda will be re-thinking his article in light of the most recent league campaign By the way, Brian Cody, did not unearth these lads in the back of his garden over Christmas. 

The second example of Lazy journalism was the incident that was not reported and not even mentioned on league Sunday and I’ve yet to see any mention of the subsequent events by any GAA journalist. For those of who are unaware, in the 53rd minute Aoife Murray the Cork goalie received a straight red card for a clothesline tackle on Shelly Farrell. Murray after protesting headed for the old stand side and then doubled back towards the new stand, but remained on the field of play while the penalty was being taken. Meanwhile, the Cork sub goalie (No.1), without the substitution of a Cork player went straight down into the goal for the penalty. The penalty was saved. In effect, Cork had 16 players on the field, not 14. The ball was pucked out as Murray left the field. The fourth official then put up a sign that number 1 (Which was the Cork sub goalie) was being replaced  by number 10 (Amy O’Connor, who had in fact been taken off in the 44th minute) while the Kilkenny management protested. Eventually the ref whose job it is to oversee that Murray left the field of play came over.  It was only at that point Cork took off Katrina Mackey and Cork did actually go down to 14 players. The ref also ignored that the penalty should have been retaken/the Cork sub goalie cautioned.  Terrible officiating. 

The details may not have been clear to the journalists, but not one has mentioned that anything at all happened and a bit of leg work would have got a story, but as I said and proven yesterday there are so many lazy GAA journalists out there, who need to consider their position, not Cody! Then again, it does allow forums like this to thrive.

Many journalists write what people want to hear. I wrote here a few months ago when all was doom and gloom that it would be a bad result for Kilkenny not to beat Waterford down there and was questioned by those predicting relegation. I wrote the same about the League semi-final in Wexford when all around were bigging it up. I also predicted after a round or two of the League that Kilkenny would reach an All-Ireland semi-final.

I wrote here during the week that Kilkenny would beat Tipperary handy and was sneered at by Kilkenny people and mouthed at by a Tipperary one who seemed content that they were "favourites" (apparently that meant something?)

I also predicted that Tipperary would do very little in Munster and were at best third in the province. I'd nearly revise that downwards now given the gutlessness they showed on Sunday. I am currently "terribly wrong" for saying that but will be proved right once more. If you have any bit of original thinking around here you will be trolled. GAA journalists do better by not being controversial and indulging in group think as they have interviewees to get.

Off with your wheelbarrow to the bookies so KK can be backed at 2/1 - oh and I think we can safely say Jason Forde is one of Tipps first 6 now.
    Powerhouse wrote: »

I wrote here during the week that Kilkenny would beat Tipperary handy and was sneered at by Kilkenny people and mouthed at by a Tipperary one who seemed content that they were "favourites" (apparently that meant something?)

You weren't mouthed at snowflake you were simply offered advice that if you felt that strongly about the result that the odds available were a gift, you may also have noticed that I flaged KK last Monday as great value and I accordingly backed them at a crazy 9/4.

It has helped ever so slightly to dull the pain from leaving Nowlan Park after being spanked again :(

You weren't mouthed at snowflake you were simply offered advice that if you felt that strongly about the result that the odds available were a gift, you may also have noticed that I flaged KK last Monday as great value and I accordingly backed them at a crazy 9/4.

It has helped ever so slightly to dull the pain from leaving Nowlan Park after being spanked again :(

You really know you're ****e when your own "supporters" are piling on against you!!!!! :D:D:D

I wonder if any Tipp players (or is it just loyal supporters) had a bite at those odds? It might explain a few things.

You really know you're ****e when your own "supporters" are piling on against you!!!!! :D:D:D

I wonder if any Tipp players (or is it just loyal supporters) had a bite at those odds? It might explain a few things.

I bet with my head not my heart, try it ;) And yes I am a loyal supporter and was there yesterday and was there at the final whistle and will be there again the next time we go down for out inevitable beating. Days like yesterday are hard to stomach but its what make the victories all the sweeter. And I saw enough positives over the league campaign to suggest we are in a stronger position this year than where we were last year.

As an aside I am intrigued by your reasoning for downgrading Tipp to 4th/5th team in Munster, on your own admission (incorrectly but how and ever) they had a depleted team out with only one of their starting forwards and you were fully expectant that KK would win comfortably so on what basis are you reassessing their ranking in Munster and what exactly have any of the other 4 done to overtake them??

• Advertisement

Dude i wouldn't bother if i was you! I was the first one to flag up the 9/4 being offered by Spoilsports and i added it was an insult and he called me out on it! He's a classic troll just spoiling for a fight. The best way to deal with attention seekers is to ignore them it drives them crazy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭Charlie69

How can you question danganabu's loyalty to his county when you seem so reluctant to reveal what county you're from.

As an aside I am intrigued by your reasoning for downgrading Tipp to 4th/5th team in Munster, on your own admission (incorrectly but how and ever) they had a depleted team out with only one of their starting forwards and you were fully expectant that KK would win comfortably so on what basis are you reassessing their ranking in Munster and what exactly have any of the other 4 done to overtake them??

Stood still? While Tipperary have gone backwards. Barry's day is over. Breen will never make an inter-county hurler of substance as he just doesn't have the touch. John O'Dwyer's best days are already behind him.

I was not only "fully expectant that Kilkenny would win comfortably" but I was right.

I would reassess their ranking on the basis that they are worse than I thought. How complicated is that?

Dude i wouldn't bother if i was you! I was the first one to flag up the 9/4 being offered by Spoilsports and i added it was an insult and he called me out on it! He's a classic troll just spoiling for a fight. The best way to deal with attention seekers is to ignore them it drives them crazy!!

This is absolute BS. I "called you out" on the basis that you questioned those odds because the game was in Nowlan Park. The venue was, and is, irrelevant to Kilkenny winning that match. (I can't control a bookie's odds) At least try to be someway honest if you can find it in you at all.

This is absolute BS. I "called you out" on the basis that you questioned those odds because the game was in Nowlan Park. The venue was, and is, irrelevant to Kilkenny winning that match. (I can't control a bookie's odds) At least try to be someway honest if you can find it in you at all.

Nope, check your posts! I never mentioned the venue in my original post when i expressed the opinion that the 9/4 being offered by Spoilsports was an insult! And you questioned that. The mention of the venue came subsequently as one of the reasons I felt the price was completely wrong!

Who asked you to "control bookies odds?" And indeed you can change the odds that's how betting works. The bookmakers set the odds and the punter (you and me) dictates the price fluctuations after that or at least that is the theory !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Mod Warning

Attack the post not the poster.

Cards will be issued.

An extract from Brendan Cummins column in the Indo today. Exactly my point when comparing Reid and Forde. And indeed in comparing any Kilkenny player and Tipp player.

Hats off to TJ Reid. It'll tell you how good the Kilkenny forward line were 10 years ago that they had four TJ Reids playing. Now they have one and he nearly beat Tipp by himself. And he's a lesson to every forward who thinks they have skill; skill is no good unless you apply work-rate with it.

Grats wrote: »
    An extract from Brendan Cummins column in the Indo today. Exactly my point when comparing Reid and Forde. And indeed in comparing any Kilkenny player and Tipp player.

Hats off to TJ Reid. It'll tell you how good the Kilkenny forward line were 10 years ago that they had four TJ Reids playing. Now they have one and he nearly beat Tipp by himself. And he's a lesson to every forward who thinks they have skill; skill is no good unless you apply work-rate with it.

Think he is doing Reid a huge disservice there, no way they had 4 as good as him 10 years ago, infact they have never had 4 as good as him, as good a hurler as I have seen and I dont say that lightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭brookville

A friend of mine from clare was telling me theres no club games till after they exit the championship and that clare are in training preparing for the championship.

Think he is doing Reid a huge disservice there, no way they had 4 as good as him 10 years ago, infact they have never had 4 as good as him, as good a hurler as I have seen and I dont say that lightly.

You can take that up with Brendan!!! I wouldn't necessarily agree with that opinion either but his view on work rate is spot on. I'm thinking back to yesterday, in the dying minutes of the match, and TJ Reid back in his own half chasing down a Tipp player. And that was after putting in a major shift from the throw in.

• Advertisement

Don't make the mistake of judging Forde's performance on the basis that he got the better of P Walsh. You could hardly class his goal as "great' in all honesty. He was totally unmarked, P Walsh's fault, and was handed the ball. What exactly did he do in the second half to suggest he had a great game? If his performance yesterday is classed a great one then Tipp have a long road ahead.

My twopence worth is i actually thought padraig looked nervous in the first half unlucky maybe to concede a free or two and was sucked into mcgrath after joey was beaten in the air leaving forde unmarked.In the secound half after we upped our workrate all over the field the quality of ball coming into tipp fowards suited us all day we had plenty of numbers getting back helping out.
    I agree the differrence between forde and tj yesterday was tj came out caught ball and made things happen at critical times in the first half and showed huge leadership bit like what henry used to do.
    looking foward to going to a few club matches this weekend jason cleere should be playing for the bridge hopefully richie is playing for danesfort and ger aylward for glenmore.

You can take that up with Brendan!!! I wouldn't necessarily agree with that opinion either but his view on work rate is spot on. I'm thinking back to yesterday, in the dying minutes of the match, and TJ Reid back in his own half chasing down a Tipp player. And that was after putting in a major shift from the throw in.

Agreed, he is a phenomenal player, kept KK in the game single handedly in the first 25 mins and was central to the hammering in the second half, but I dont get the reasoning for comparing Forde to him, no one ever ever suggested there was any comparision, and Fordes work rate was fine, certainly not one of the many guilty ones in blue and gold. Forde, McGrath and Flynn were the only three that I would absolve from any blame for yeserdays collapse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

My favourite part of boards is the posters telling everyone how right they were in previous posts. Not sure how I'd be able to keep up otherwise.

brookville wrote: »
    My twopence worth is i actually thought padraig looked nervous in the first half unlucky maybe to concede a free or two and was sucked into mcgrath after joey was beaten in the air leaving forde unmarked.In the secound half after we upped our workrate all over the field the quality of ball coming into tipp fowards suited us all day we had plenty of numbers getting back helping out.
    I agree the differrence between forde and tj yesterday was tj came out caught ball and made things happen at critical times in the first half and showed huge leadership bit like what henry used to do.
    looking foward to going to a few club matches this weekend jason cleere should be playing for the bridge hopefully richie is playing for danesfort and ger aylward for glenmore.

I agree with your analysis above on the match.

With regards club matches, it will be interesting to see which players line out as you said above. Any updates on the Mullen boys, are they back with Ballyhale?

I agree with your analysis above on the match.

With regards club matches, it will be interesting to see which players line out as you said above. Any updates on the Mullen boys, are they back with Ballyhale?

Yep, all back on board apparently though Paddy is still recovering from a cruciate injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭blackcard

Fair play to Cody and KK some win, TJ Reid is the best hurler in the country bar none and deserves alot more credit than he gets, when KK werent firing in the first half he single handedly kept KK in the game, Eoin Murphy proved again that he is the best keeper in the game and Paddy Deegan has been some find.

From a Tipp perspective the only small crumb of consolation and hope that I take from the game is that the only two forwards from the 6 that I expect to see come Summer actually comprehensively beat their opposite number, and Alan Flynn continued to impress in the corner, outside of that it was a bad day at the office, our goalkeeper has the most abysmal puck out I have ever seen its a back mans dream, they go so high I fully expecting that some day one of them wont actually come down! James Barry at full back is a huge problem, I think most of our other problames are fixable but full back is a huge problem and not one I can see being fixed anytime soon, a fully fit Cathal Barret might be an option there? Our half forward line were actually cleaned out and never has it been clearer how vital Noel McGrath and Bonner Maher are to Tipp, quite simply without those two we are worse than average.

Dangan, if all players are fit what do you think the Tipperary championship would look like? They came close enough last year and the inclusion of Alan Flynn, Jason Forde and Cathal Barrett should improve them? Or have some players gone backwards? Would yesterday's 1-9 team be far off? Just trying to figure out the merits of Kilkenny's performance yesterday.

Agreed, he is a phenomenal player, kept KK in the game single handedly in the first 25 mins and was central to the hammering in the second half, but I dont get the reasoning for comparing Forde to him, no one ever ever suggested there was any comparision, and Fordes work rate was fine, certainly not one of the many guilty ones in blue and gold. Forde, McGrath and Flynn were the only three that I would absolve from any blame for yeserdays collapse.

I actually thought billy Mccarthy tried hard but maybe not tidy enough yet for this level.
    The reason I was comparing forde and tj was before the match most agreed they were the two best forwards of the league so that was my reasoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭conor05

I actually thought billy Mccarthy tried hard but maybe not tidy enough yet for this level.
    The reason I was comparing forde and tj was before the match most agreed they were the two best forwards of the league so that was my reasoning.

I can tell you here and now Kilkenny never had 4 players like TJ Reid. Neither 10 years ago or 50 years ago.
    He is one of the best conditioned athletes in the GAA, he has every single attribute ticked off - height, aerial ability, strong as a bull, speed, points, goals, frees, penalties, vision. There is nothing he can’t do with the ball.
    He is a better all round hurler than Henry and I don’t say that lightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭conor05

I can tell you here and now Kilkenny never had 4 players like TJ Reid. Neither 10 years ago or 50 years ago.
    He is one of the best conditioned athletes in the GAA, he has every single attribute ticked off - height, aerial ability, strong as a bull, speed, points, goals, frees, penalties, vision. There is nothing he can’t do with the ball.
    He is a better all round hurler than Henry and I don’t say that lightly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭HughCassidy

Hawkeye6 wrote: »
    Two great wins in Nowlan Park yesterday. Well done to all, players, mamagement and county boards. 

To me the biggest talking point is the level of Lazy GAA Journalists there are in the country.

Two months ago, there was a campaign driven by the GAA journalists nationwide for “Cody to go”. He should go now or should have already gone! It will take too long to build a competitive team again. He should go with dignity, he owes Kilkenyn nothing. There is nothing coming on, Kilkenny haven’t won an Under-21 since 2008 etc. etc. blah blah… Answer, League Champions! 

It is “ok” for posters here to write rubbish, as they are not Professional Journalists that are required and paid to research and verify the merits of what they write.  Kilkenny GAA People in the know have been confident about the group of young players that are coming along, now and over the next few years (there may be some concern in 4/5 years’ time, but there is time to address that).  The young hopefuls have been well developed through their clubs, primary schools, some secondary schools and what has been despite much criticism a very good development squad system, which may not give the perfect underage results but does make sure they have the basic tools to fit into a senior panel when the time comes, with a small bit of work, which you would expect would need to be done. A squad system which doesn’t burn out the enthusiasm of the players by starting in October of the previous year for ages as young as Under-14. A squad system that was much maligned last year in the local newspaper by Enda McEvoy. I’m sure he will be reading this, like many other journalists looking for the info. Bottom line lads, this is not the place to look.  I’m sure Enda will be re-thinking his article in light of the most recent league campaign By the way, Brian Cody, did not unearth these lads in the back of his garden over Christmas. 

The second example of Lazy journalism was the incident that was not reported and not even mentioned on league Sunday and I’ve yet to see any mention of the subsequent events by any GAA journalist. For those of who are unaware, in the 53rd minute Aoife Murray the Cork goalie received a straight red card for a clothesline tackle on Shelly Farrell. Murray after protesting headed for the old stand side and then doubled back towards the new stand, but remained on the field of play while the penalty was being taken. Meanwhile, the Cork sub goalie (No.1), without the substitution of a Cork player went straight down into the goal for the penalty. The penalty was saved. In effect, Cork had 16 players on the field, not 14. The ball was pucked out as Murray left the field. The fourth official then put up a sign that number 1 (Which was the Cork sub goalie) was being replaced  by number 10 (Amy O’Connor, who had in fact been taken off in the 44th minute) while the Kilkenny management protested. Eventually the ref whose job it is to oversee that Murray left the field of play came over.  It was only at that point Cork took off Katrina Mackey and Cork did actually go down to 14 players. The ref also ignored that the penalty should have been retaken/the Cork sub goalie cautioned.  Terrible officiating. 

The details may not have been clear to the journalists, but not one has mentioned that anything at all happened and a bit of leg work would have got a story, but as I said and proven yesterday there are so many lazy GAA journalists out there, who need to consider their position, not Cody! Then again, it does allow forums like this to thrive.

The Cork manager reckoned in an interview on kclr afterwards that the kilkenny girl played to the home crowd to get her sent off himself that Ashling Thomson are special.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement