Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

brookville wrote: »
    Great day for kk supporters today well done to all today always nice to beat tipp and to win the league was unexpected at the start of the year.It should hopefully give confidence to next batch of players playing today.
    When we upped things in the second half tipp didn't want to know bout it which was disappointing from their point of view.serious question marks over their goalie and barry at 3.
    I thought walsh struggled at times for us today and looked nervous but our 2 corner men and morrissey who's distribution is excellent were very good.
    Maher had a good second half and mossy never gave up trying.
    I wouldn't get too carried away over today it was a few steps down from championship but delighted with the result and we're on the right road with a couple of big names to come back we're in good shape going into the summer.
    Anyone know how many rounds of club matches are going ahead?

Just the one. The first round is going to have to be completely rescheduled at a future date and they start with the second round next weekend then it's a four week run in to the Dublin match. So after next weekend there's a chance that club players won't have another serious game til the end of August at the earliest ( Aylward Cup aside). The only possible window would be the weekend of the 7th/8th of July if we were to win the Leinster Championship as there would be a four week gap to an All Ireland semi final.

Of course if we were to fail to come out of the group in Leinster they could have the county final played before the All Ireland final!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭Village87

Great performance yesterday. Tipp just died a soft death after Walter Walshs goal. Eoin Murphy great save that won Kilkenny the game from Bubbles. Full back line apart from Deegan were in bother, Padraig Walsh was in trouble on Forde and Joey was in trouble for quick ball going in, caught for the first goal.
    Half back line and midfield excellent, Enda Morrissey has been my player of the league apart from TJ, like a JJ Delaney the way he is playing, good in the air and clever on the ball, man taking off again yesterday. Buckley was good covering space well and helping his team mates, was helped by the man he was marking who must have thought the sliother was a hot piece of coal. Delaney solid on the other side and will be a future Kilkenny regular. James Maher and Richie Leahy excellent, good athletes are always in the game for breaking ball and good on the ball, good at breaking forward also, Fogarty a good lad to bring on when a ahead as he can slow the game down.
    Can run out of superlatives for TJ and Mossy yesterday, Mossy nullified Paidi Maher and TJ cleaned Ronan Maher massive game from the 2. Mossy some find and covers some yards. John Donnelly doing well. Wally massive second half, some handful. Holds the ball up great when it goes as it gives a chance for the players to get back up the pitch after working hard to win it down the field. Wally & TJ are irreplaceable at present

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭RayVaughan1984

Well done to KK on a great victory.we were flattered to lose by just 6.
    TJ Reid was simply outstanding yesterday.Walter Walsh had a pretty quiet first half,but his goal was the decisive score.Tipp sorely missing a few important players but the same could be said of KK.What struck me about KK was their cleverness second half in terms of possession.Tipp are getting shown up time and time again for having no structured game plan.It's very much hit and hope and that could cost us in Limerick and beyond.

KK can look ahead to a promising Leinster campaign,definite contenders in last 4.This victory will be a major confidence boost to new players in Codys panel.Impressed with Keoghan.Brendan Maher and Ronan Maher were kept very quiet yesterday.

blackcard wrote: »
    Come August, the league title will probably mean very little but for today and the next couple of weeks, it means a lot to the players and fans of both teams. Paddy Deegan gave a man of the match display, the half back line played well, James Maher worked hard, TJ excellent, Walter Walsh had a good second half and Keoghan battled well. Typical of a Cody team, every player gave 100 percent. Fogarty, Scanlon and Blanchfield made a difference when they came on. We obviously don't have the talent that we had but if we could get Richie Hogan back and Ger Aylward fit, we should be competitive. Well done to all concerned, this team are gaining the affection of the fans. Causes of concern are that we are over dependant on TJ for scores, some of our forwards are light, Richie Leahy has still a bit of learning to do. You would also say that other teams weren't putting in the same effort as Kilkenny and have far more scope for improvement. Tipperary in particular have marquee players to come back and along with Galway will be there at the business end of the championship. If there was a transfer market, I would love to buy John McGrath, I just think he is a genius on the ball.

Well said.TJ Reid is a ridiculous talent and spot on about John Mcgrath,he always does the right thing in possession.He crafted that goal for Forde so well yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Fair play to Cody and KK some win, TJ Reid is the best hurler in the country bar none and deserves alot more credit than he gets, when KK werent firing in the first half he single handedly kept KK in the game, Eoin Murphy proved again that he is the best keeper in the game and Paddy Deegan has been some find.

From a Tipp perspective the only small crumb of consolation and hope that I take from the game is that the only two forwards from the 6 that I expect to see come Summer actually comprehensively beat their opposite number, and Alan Flynn continued to impress in the corner, outside of that it was a bad day at the office, our goalkeeper has the most abysmal puck out I have ever seen its a back mans dream, they go so high I fully expecting that some day one of them wont actually come down! James Barry at full back is a huge problem, I think most of our other problames are fixable but full back is a huge problem and not one I can see being fixed anytime soon, a fully fit Cathal Barret might be an option there? Our half forward line were actually cleaned out and never has it been clearer how vital Noel McGrath and Bonner Maher are to Tipp, quite simply without those two we are worse than average.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

And well done to the Senior Camogie side also. That's 3 Leagues in a row , and its great to get one over on Cork again.
    I think its great for the ladies to get the due exposure by having their game on before a senior hurling match, very competitive, and skilful shur whats not to like ! :)

Hon Kilkenny.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Topcat32

Village87 wrote: »
    Great performance yesterday. Tipp just died a soft death after Walter Walshs goal. Eoin Murphy great save that won Kilkenny the game from Bubbles. Full back line apart from Deegan were in bother, Padraig Walsh was in trouble on Forde and Joey was in trouble for quick ball going in, caught for the first goal.
    Half back line and midfield excellent, Enda Morrissey has been my player of the league apart from TJ, like a JJ Delaney the way he is playing, good in the air and clever on the ball, man taking off again yesterday. Buckley was good covering space well and helping his team mates, was helped by the man he was marking who must have thought the sliother was a hot piece of coal. Delaney solid on the other side and will be a future Kilkenny regular. James Maher and Richie Leahy excellent, good athletes are always in the game for breaking ball and good on the ball, good at breaking forward also, Fogarty a good lad to bring on when a ahead as he can slow the game down.
    Can run out of superlatives for TJ and Mossy yesterday, Mossy nullified Paidi Maher and TJ cleaned Ronan Maher massive game from the 2. Mossy some find and covers some yards. John Donnelly doing well. Wally massive second half, some handful. Holds the ball up great when it goes as it gives a chance for the players to get back up the pitch after working hard to win it down the field. Wally & TJ are irreplaceable at present

Bit of a stretch to say Leahy was excellent yesterday in my opinion, was turned over a good bit and held on to possession for a bit too long, his did cause Tipp trouble at times and helped to set a high tempo for Kilkenny.

I'd be delighted if we end up in a position of having the luxury of sending Fogarty on as an impact sub in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Great stuff in the second half when we upped it.half backline settled and options in midfield
    Very positive.colin and Richie will improve us in the forwards.
    Great to see such a crowd stayed for presentation we were still on the pitch 40min after match and wally and bucks Joey all still taking pics with kids .We were spoilt for so long great for next generation of kids to have a new team to follow. Bring on the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Grats

What a win. And the players, and indeed the rest of the country, will know how well supported our team is and what a League success truly means to us. The Championship will be another step up but we have a good base to start from.

Can't help noticing some Tipp posters apparently haven't the stomach to post on their own forum today. Tippl be in the mix come August with so many top forwards to return. Keep your heads up, looking forward to meeting ye again later in the summer.

Grats wrote: »
    What a win. And the players, and indeed the rest of the country, will know how well supported our team is and what a League success truly means to us. The Championship will be another step up but we have a good base to start from.

Can't help noticing some Tipp posters apparently haven't the stomach to post on their own forum today. Tippl be in the mix come August with so many top forwards to return. Keep your heads up, looking forward to meeting ye again later in the summer.

Can't speak for others but I havent posted in that thread for a long long time, full of trolls and attention seekers with agendas, I know quite a few other regulars that stoped posting there for the same reasons, its like a little version of Premierview, and that is not a good thing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭SteJer

danganabu wrote: »
    James Barry at full back is a huge problem

The same James Barry you said Tipp were "missing" a few weeks ago!! I told you then he was a huge problem but you didn't want to know about it. I'm glad you have come to your senses. Maybe Michael Ryan will now too. Fairly poor of him to go through the entire league campaign blooding new players and then play James Barry at full back in the final.

From a Tipp perspective the only small crumb of consolation and hope that I take from the game is that the only two forwards from the 6 that I expect to see come Summer actually comprehensively beat their opposite number

Really? Jason Forde scored a point in the 3rd minute and a goal in the 21st minute. Other than that he did absolutely nothing from open play. John McGrath scored a point from play in each half. Surely more should be expected from a highly experienced player, especially considering he was been marked by a guy playing only his 4th ever game for Kilkenny at this level. Like John McGrath, John Donnelly (another rookie) scored two points from play for Kilkenny but was taken off!!

The biggest concern for Tipp should be their two marquee defenders were absolutely cleaned out of it. Michael Ryan stationed Ronan Maher at midfield for most of the league. However when the crunch came he quickly moved him back to centre back to man mark TJ. TJ got man of the match!! The "great" Paudie Maher was comprehensively beaten by a guy who was preparing for his leaving cert this time last year!!

SteJer wrote: »
    The same James Barry you said Tipp were "missing" a few weeks ago!! I told you then he was a huge problem but you didn't want to know about it. I'm glad you have come to your senses. Maybe Michael Ryan will now too. Fairly poor of him to go through the entire league campaign blooding new players and then play James Barry at full back in the final.

Well,you have to remember that the three lines were cleaned out.Half back,Midfield and Wing forward.Barry was left brutally exposed.Yes,Barry hasn't had the best league but certainly Tipp had many poor performers yesterday.I wouldn't single out one or two.I'd focus on the management.They should take their share of the blame for how the team set up.

Really? Jason Forde scored a point in the 3rd minute and a goal in the 21st minute. Other than that he did absolutely nothing from open play. John McGrath scored a point from play in each half. Surely more should be expected from a highly experienced player, especially considering he was been marked by a guy playing only his 4th ever game for Kilkenny at this level. Like John McGrath, John Donnelly (another rookie) scored two points from play for Kilkenny but was taken off!!

The biggest concern for Tipp should be their two marquee defenders were absolutely cleaned out of it. Michael Ryan stationed Ronan Maher at midfield for most of the league. However when the crunch came he quickly moved him back to centre back to man mark TJ. TJ got man of the match!! The "great" Paudie Maher was comprehensively beaten by a guy who was preparing for his leaving cert this time last year!!
    I'd certainly agree that Forde was pretty quiet apart from those two scores in open play.He could very well find himself on the bench come championship if Bonner,Bubbles(fit) and Callanan return.However,he has had a terrific league and hopefully he can keep the momentum going.
    Paudie is definitely struggling.He has great vision but does get caught a lot in possession.You get the impression all is not as it should be in the Tipp camp.A lot of players underperformed yesterday.As much as that has to do with KK playing so well,I'm not so sure Ryan will be there next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Thought Forde did pretty well myself, caught a few balls and did at least look like he could have been a threat if more decent supply had come his way. Not sure how Callanan comes back into the fold when he's fit, but cant see it being at the expense of Forde way things have gone. John McGrath was quieter yesterday, the little he did he did wonderfully, as you'd expect, but Tipp needed a bit more. Dan McCormack is the key to getting that forward line moving I believe.

The problem is that we have no one betterso yes was 'missing' unless you think that Tossy Hamill is the answer.

Its quite clear from your post and the second one that you are trying to get a rise out of a few Tipp lads sorry to disapoint, maybe try the Tipp thread its full of like minded lads ;)

Thought Forde did pretty well myself, caught a few balls and did at least look like he could have been a threat if more decent supply had come his way. Not sure how Callanan comes back into the fold when he's fit, but cant see it being at the expense of Forde way things have gone. John McGrath was quieter yesterday, the little he did he did wonderfully, as you'd expect, but Tipp needed a bit more. Dan McCormack is the key to getting that forward line moving I believe.

Himself and McGrath scored 2-14 between them, but apparently both were quite enough :D

Ball in from the backs and midfield was terrible as well, just skying ball in on top of them. It gives the defender too much of a chance. KK's midfield and half forward line were brilliant at puting their opposite numbers under pressure and not allowing them the time to pick out a good pass.

Many "greats" have managed to hide average performances behind big scoring, from frees. Consider the two main scorers yesterday. Forde was handed the ball for the goal and he managed two other points from play. He hardly ever moved outside of the full forward line. Like so many Tipp forwards his overall work rate was average at best.

Now compare his to Reid's. TJ was pulling the strings whilst been man marked by the highly rated Ronan Maher. TJ was up and down the pitch taking on whoever came his way and working his socks off. And still managed to put up as big a score as Forde.

So, let's not be blinded by scoring. Somebody has to take frees!

John McGrath is a talented hurler but he too lacks work rate. Give me Wally any day.

Himself and McGrath scored 2-14 between them, but apparently both were quite enough :D

Ball in from the backs and midfield was terrible as well, just skying ball in on top of them. It gives the defender too much of a chance. KK's midfield and half forward line were brilliant at puting their opposite numbers under pressure and not allowing them the time to pick out a good pass.

Grasping at straws there. The two marquee forwards which you said comprehensively beat their markers yesterday scored a grand total of 1-3 from play between them in over 75 minutes of hurling. Walter Walsh scored 1-2 and was fouled for 2 scored frees, all in only one half!

The biggest difference between Forde, McGrath and most of the Tipp forwards is that they have zero work rate when they don't have the ball. It's not all about what a player scores. Martin Keoghan was very close to being man of the match and he only scored 1 point from play. He ran himself in to the ground. He was often back in defence helping out and kept Paudie Maher out of the game for most of it. Tipp forwards have always lacked this attribute and it seems they are no closer to sorting it.

The problem is that we have no one betterso yes was 'missing' unless you think that Tossy Hamill is the answer.

Its quite clear from your post and the second one that you are trying to get a rise out of a few Tipp lads sorry to disapoint, maybe try the Tipp thread its full of like minded lads ;)

I don't think any knowledgeable Tipp hurling supporter would feel the need to rise to a comment about James Barry. It is plainly obvious for the past 2 years that he is completely out of his depth at full back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

Just the one. The first round is going to have to be completely rescheduled at a future date and they start with the second round next weekend then it's a four week run in to the Dublin match. So after next weekend there's a chance that club players won't have another serious game til the end of August at the earliest ( Aylward Cup aside). The only possible window would be the weekend of the 7th/8th of July if we were to win the Leinster Championship as there would be a four week gap to an All Ireland semi final.

Of course if we were to fail to come out of the group in Leinster they could have the county final played before the All Ireland final!

Imagine being a club hurler and having one proper match this weekend and then nothing until August. You'd wonder why anyone would bother.

BoroMan32 wrote: »
    Imagine being a club hurler and having one proper match this weekend and then nothing until August. You'd wonder why anyone would bother.

We will see a massive fall off from minor/U21 to adult club hurling in the next few years and clubs are going to find themselves in an awful prediciment where they have lost the game in April ( in Tipp there will be two games), are clubs in this situation going to continue to pay a manager ( we all know they are paid lets not kid ourselves) for four months when they are affectively out of the championship and are club players going to put their lifes on hold for another 5 months.

I don't think any knowledgeable Tipp hurling supporter would feel the need to rise to a comment about James Barry. It is plainly obvious for the past 2 years that he is completely out of his depth at full back.

I will have to class myself as unknowledgeable so, because I certainly wouldnt have said that the All Star full back was ''out of his depth'' because to me that would be a stupid conclusion to come to :confused:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 157 ✭✭Hawkeye6

Two great wins in Nowlan Park yesterday. Well done to all, players, mamagement and county boards. 

To me the biggest talking point is the level of Lazy GAA Journalists there are in the country.

Two months ago, there was a campaign driven by the GAA journalists nationwide for “Cody to go”. He should go now or should have already gone! It will take too long to build a competitive team again. He should go with dignity, he owes Kilkenyn nothing. There is nothing coming on, Kilkenny haven’t won an Under-21 since 2008 etc. etc. blah blah… Answer, League Champions! 

It is “ok” for posters here to write rubbish, as they are not Professional Journalists that are required and paid to research and verify the merits of what they write.  Kilkenny GAA People in the know have been confident about the group of young players that are coming along, now and over the next few years (there may be some concern in 4/5 years’ time, but there is time to address that).  The young hopefuls have been well developed through their clubs, primary schools, some secondary schools and what has been despite much criticism a very good development squad system, which may not give the perfect underage results but does make sure they have the basic tools to fit into a senior panel when the time comes, with a small bit of work, which you would expect would need to be done. A squad system which doesn’t burn out the enthusiasm of the players by starting in October of the previous year for ages as young as Under-14. A squad system that was much maligned last year in the local newspaper by Enda McEvoy. I’m sure he will be reading this, like many other journalists looking for the info. Bottom line lads, this is not the place to look.  I’m sure Enda will be re-thinking his article in light of the most recent league campaign By the way, Brian Cody, did not unearth these lads in the back of his garden over Christmas. 

The second example of Lazy journalism was the incident that was not reported and not even mentioned on league Sunday and I’ve yet to see any mention of the subsequent events by any GAA journalist. For those of who are unaware, in the 53rd minute Aoife Murray the Cork goalie received a straight red card for a clothesline tackle on Shelly Farrell. Murray after protesting headed for the old stand side and then doubled back towards the new stand, but remained on the field of play while the penalty was being taken. Meanwhile, the Cork sub goalie (No.1), without the substitution of a Cork player went straight down into the goal for the penalty. The penalty was saved. In effect, Cork had 16 players on the field, not 14. The ball was pucked out as Murray left the field. The fourth official then put up a sign that number 1 (Which was the Cork sub goalie) was being replaced  by number 10 (Amy O’Connor, who had in fact been taken off in the 44th minute) while the Kilkenny management protested. Eventually the ref whose job it is to oversee that Murray left the field of play came over.  It was only at that point Cork took off Katrina Mackey and Cork did actually go down to 14 players. The ref also ignored that the penalty should have been retaken/the Cork sub goalie cautioned.  Terrible officiating. 

The details may not have been clear to the journalists, but not one has mentioned that anything at all happened and a bit of leg work would have got a story, but as I said and proven yesterday there are so many lazy GAA journalists out there, who need to consider their position, not Cody! Then again, it does allow forums like this to thrive.

Grasping at straws there. The two marquee forwards which you said comprehensively beat their markers yesterday scored a grand total of 1-3 from play between them in over 75 minutes of hurling. Walter Walsh scored 1-2 and was fouled for 2 scored frees, all in only one half!

The biggest difference between Forde, McGrath and most of the Tipp forwards is that they have zero work rate when they don't have the ball. It's not all about what a player scores. Martin Keoghan was very close to being man of the match and he only scored 1 point from play. He ran himself in to the ground. He was often back in defence helping out and kept Paudie Maher out of the game for most of it. Tipp forwards have always lacked this attribute and it seems they are no closer to sorting it.

Yeah sure Forde didnt win any of those frees himself :D and I love the idea that scores from frees somehow dont count, and We wont even go into the point he scored from the sideline that was waived wide ;)

Regarding the bolded part, that is the point I was making about 4 forwards still to come back, two of which are Bonner Maher and Dan McCormack both of whom have a serious work rate. Forward divisions are all about balance, no point having six free scoring forwards ala the McGraths and equaly pontless having six workhorses that cant score.

I will have to class myself as unknowledgeable so, because I certainly wouldnt have said that the All Star full back was ''out of his depth'' because to me that would be a stupid conclusion to come to :confused:

You said yourself he's a huge problem and that he's only playing full back as there is nobody any better than him. He was an All-Star in 2016. That's 2 years ago now. Teams that live in the past usually get left there.

I love the idea that scores from frees somehow dont count

In this context they don't as your original comment was that Jason Forde comprehensively beat Padraig Walsh. Padraig Walsh isn't to blame that the player he was marking happens to be the free taker!!

Can't speak for others but I havent posted in that thread for a long long time, full of trolls and attention seekers with agendas, I know quite a few other regulars that stoped posting there for the same reasons, its like a little version of Premierview, and that is not a good thing!

Would have thought you'd feel very much at home in such company! 😂‚

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭Village87

Yeah sure Forde didnt win any of those frees himself :D and I love the idea that scores from frees somehow dont count, and We wont even go into the point he scored from the sideline that was waived wide ;)

Regarding the bolded part, that is the point I was making about 4 forwards still to come back, two of which are Bonner Maher and Dan McCormack both of whom have a serious work rate. Forward divisions are all about balance, no point having six free scoring forwards ala the McGraths and equaly pontless having six workhorses that cant score.

Forde had a great game yesterday. Finished a great goal,, scored 2 points from play, easily won another 3 and set up one or two. Also Padraig Walsh has had a big influence in games over the last 2 months bursting out of defence, wasnt allowed do that yesterday, i personally thought Forse won his battle

• Advertisement

It's amazing what a win can bring from the woodwork, to all the regular and genuine posters here, and there are more here than on any other GAA thread imo, my heartiest congrats a faboulous win and I'll say no more in fear of upsetting the bandwagoners.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement