Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Hmmm

Well looks pretty shítty

You can just randomly select a bunch of seats and an email, no verification or anything
    Success
    You will receive an email on wanktastic@gmail.com (check your Spam folder) with your new seat(s) number, two hours before the flight. Go back to the home.

Please note that depending on occasion it's possible that the algorithm might not find a solution for everyone. The more people participate, higher are the chances to seat everyone together.
    Since you decided to participate in this social experiment, it's important that you commit seating in the received spot. Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

ED E wrote: »
    Swapping seats like that isnt allowed AFAIK. If you plummet into a mountain your seat is partially how they identify you.

I always prefer to glide into a mountain. It's worked for me so far!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 miso1983

We have one way flight (2 people) booked and after reading about seats I've decided to book seats for me and my partner - just the 4 euro ones .. so thats 8 euro.

Than the popup came that priority boarding is half price from 5 to 2.50 (per person) so that is 5euro - total 13 euro. Got it since it's BA-DUB flight and boarding is a nightmare in Bratislava as all people are put together in one small area for like 30 minutes before boarding, there are less people in priority boarding area.

Anyway I checked my statement and got charged 18e, checked the invoice in app and it says priority boarding 10e

Had to email them and they replied they are refunding me 5 euro.

Seems to be some kind of error of not applying discount to priority boarding so watch out for that.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Swapping seats like that isnt allowed AFAIK. If you plummet into a mountain your seat is partially how they identify you.

Its of minimal use. Remember they operated for years with no allocated seating at all as do some other huge airlines

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

Yesterday an Irish radio prog discussed the "controversy" about seat allocation.

They got a statement from RyR to the effect that the best seats are bought (from 2€, repeated n times) and the rest are "random" So,they admit, not surprisingly, that if you want a good seat (and/or to sit together) you buy it.

Move on, nothing more to see here.

BTW, the programme did suggest that you can hang on to the last minute and MAY bag two good seats....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭C3PO

If you plummet into a mountain your seat is partially how they identify you.

If I plummet into a mountain ... that will be the least of my worries!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,110 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Lots of Ryanair articles today, of MOL telling people to stop whinging!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Lots of Ryanair articles today, of MOL telling people to stop whinging!

He was on radio this morning whinging about delays on a second runway in Dublin then went on to refer to passengers as whingers over the seating issue. I think at this stage I wouldn't fly Ryanair if he paid me. I just can't abide his attitude.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

He was on radio this morning whinging about delays on a second runway in Dublin then went on to refer to passengers as whingers over the seating issue. I think at this stage I wouldn't fly Ryanair if he paid me. I just can't abide his attitude.

Become a shareholder and your attitude might change. I think he's a pretty shrewd guy.

Become a shareholder and your attitude might change. I think he's a pretty shrewd guy.

Nah! I can make my money in other ways that don't turn my stomach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Nah! I can make my money in other ways that don't turn my stomach.

Splitting fares into absolute base fare for those who don't care, and charging extras for people who want extra features turns your stomach?

Paying exorbitant amounts to Aer Lingus for a rubbish service they had a monopoly on, with abysmal customer service used to turn mine.

Each to their own, I guess.

MOH wrote: »
    Splitting fares into absolute base fare for those who don't care, and charging extras for people who want extra features turns your stomach?

Paying exorbitant amounts to Aer Lingus for a rubbish service they had a monopoly on, with abysmal customer service used to turn mine.

If you care to read my post again, I said no such thing. I referred to Michael O'Leary's attitude to the issue and how he referred to his customers. No more, no less.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭Kat1170

C3PO wrote: »
    If I plummet into a mountain ... that will be the least of my worries!! :rolleyes:

I always get a seat in the rear of the plane .........

... well you never hear of a plane reversing into a mountain :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭joeysoap

MOH wrote: »

Not always cheaper than AL, this is a misconception most people hold. It pays to shop around and I discovered this year it doesn't always pay to fly direct either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I think his point was that prior to Ryanair taking over the market Aer Lingus could charge (and were charging) whatever they wanted. We have cheap flights nowadays in part because of Ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Shuttle666

joeysoap wrote: »
    Not always cheaper than AL, this is a misconception most people hold. It pays to shop around and I discovered this year it doesn't always pay to fly direct either.

Little to give between EI and FR on most Short/medium haul routes - and both have baggage charges much higher than most comparitive airlines e.g. Iberia much cheaper if you don't mind a Madrid stopover - on a few trips in the next few months Iberia Classic €11-17 each way (baggage/seat etc) while EI Plus €49+ and FR Leisure plus €38+. Like most people, I'll pay a bit more for the direct flight, but when the normally necessary "extras" push the difference past the €100 mark, I'm open to connectings flights.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

A connecting flight wastes half a day though. I hate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Shuttle666

FR operated Free Seating policy for years, no passenger locations would not have been left on manifests before departure?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,816 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

A two -legged journey also can absorb the difference in fares fairly handily by the time you feed/water yourself and have to pass the time in another airport lounge with shops and duty free beckoning!

Obviously if there's a huge difference it can be worth it, but I've given up on the false economy lately if not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

If you care to read my post again, I said no such thing. I referred to Michael O'Leary's attitude to the issue and how he referred to his customers. No more, no less.
    Sorry, I'd been responding solely to your last post without the context of the previous.
    joeysoap wrote: »
    I never said anything about Ryanair always being cheaper than Aer Lingus. Beefy78 summed it up.

They'd generally be the absolute last airline I'd check because of the issues I've had with them in the past, though if they were cheaper I'd at least consider it.
    But I don't think I've ever seen Aer Lingus cheaper for any flight I've looked at, even factoring in travel from the airport.
    Cityjet have been, as have others, but not AL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I've been a shareholder for years and I'll still fly with anyone else if I can.

I really don't care what airline it is, they are all equally crap when flying economy.

I actually choose airport location over airline.

E.G. Flying home to Dusseldorf I'd pay over the odds to fly from Cork Airport when visiting Cork as it's 15 minutes up the road and a small airport with the Car Rental Drop off next to the Terminal.

Dublin airport you're factoring in a 3 hour drive then another 30 minutes to fill, drop the rental car and get a shuttle to T1. Then if it's holiday season the queues could be out the door depending on the time.

Same with Dusseldorf/Cologne, depending on what time of Day it is I'd pay extra to fly from Dusseldorf.

Same goes for Amsterdam/Rotterdam/Eindhoven

Sometimes what looks like a big saving is not really a saving when you take into account additional costs and additional risk of something going wrong getting to the airport, plus the time it costs you.

Also depends on how many of you are flying, then the difference in price can become interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭mattser

redcup342 wrote: »
    I really don't care what airline it is, they are all equally crap when flying economy.

I actually choose airport location over airline.

E.G. Flying home to Dusseldorf I'd pay over the odds to fly from Cork Airport when visiting Cork as it's 15 minutes up the road and a small airport with the Car Rental Drop off next to the Terminal.

Dublin airport you're factoring in a 3 hour drive then another 30 minutes to fill, drop the rental car and get a shuttle to T1. Then if it's holiday season the queues could be out the door depending on the time.

Same with Dusseldorf/Cologne, depending on what time of Day it is I'd pay extra to fly from Dusseldorf.

Same goes for Amsterdam/Rotterdam/Eindhoven

Sometimes what looks like a big saving is not really a saving when you take into account additional costs and additional risk of something going wrong getting to the airport, plus the time it costs you.

Also depends on how many of you are flying, then the difference in price can become interesting.

Thinking of going to Amsterdam next month. The highlighted sentence above doesn't make sense to me. Are you saying all three are bad, and there are alternatives, or what ?

mattser wrote: »
    Thinking of going to Amsterdam next month. The highlighted sentence above doesn't make sense to me. Are you saying all three are bad, and there are alternatives, or what ?

If you are traveling from Dublin to Amsterdam then Dublin - Amsterdam makes sense (Unless Eindhoven is way cheaper with better times, which can happen during certain periods and you can get a train ticket for 7 euros to anywhere ni NL if you know how :) )

However I'm talking in general, from anywhere to Netherlands, Eindhoven it's all Budget Airlines.

Also Eindhoven is tiny in comparison to Schiphol so you rarely spend more than 15 minutes through security.

You just have to take everything into account.

Even from Dusseldorf it's sometimes an interesting price from Eindhoven because it's only 8 euros on the Deutsche Bahn bus directly.

Depends on times for flights, location and the Airport, I weigh everything up and balance cost with convenience / risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Powerfairy

Hi There,

It was my first ever time using Ryanair as I am going to a place where i couldn't get another airline to suit my dates.

I just checked in my friend & I on the Ryanair flight, (**4 days prior to the flight take-off date you can book in for "free" so I cant book in our return flight yet which is inconvenient but OK its no frills so fair enough)

I am going through the check in process & it put us to Complete opposite ends of the plane, in middle seats beside other people, then told me "you are not sitting together would you like to change seats??" so I opted for this, which was 9 euro per seat, (as the seats beside us had people in them so both seats had to be moved) so basically I am 18 euro down.

I know its a money making scheme to throw people to the other side of the plane away from friends, but I suppose 18 euro isn't the end of the world. No doubt I will have to do the same on the way home. I am a nervous flyer so would need to be beside my friend for comfort.

Anyway my point of this story is beware of low frills ! That is all. thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,978 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

They have being doing this since mid May. I now opt for the €2 seats when booking (no doubt these will gradually increase in price)

Discussed at length in the travel forum
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057113224

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 clothesandher

any sale on tickets to middle europe ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

I misread that as Middle Earth!!! Made me laugh anyway!! :D

Hi....

Depends on where and when. E.g. Berlin in Sept from €28 to €36 each way.

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭deezell

Latest RA scam. I went online to change one way ticket from Las Palmas by 2 days. Change fee is €60. Original ticket was €84. New date was less, for once at €76, meaning I only had to pay the change fee of €60, right? Wrong. The new date price was €76 on their website, but came up as €116 when using the MANAGE BOOKING interface, so the total cost was €60 + (116-84) fare difference, in other words, dearer than buying a fresh ticket at €76, plus you are giving them back a seat to resell, which btw was now €138 on that date. Help desk people couldn't help, offering me the change in total for €76, (!). I declined, booked it myself and will not cancel the unused flight. I might even check in for spite.

Advertisement