Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

leahyl wrote: »
    The question has still not been answered though - why are we still under these restrictions when 70% of the population has had at least one dose of the vaccine? We have been told for the last 16 months that our only way out of all this was a vaccine - we have 4 different vaccines!! And don’t anybody say “the delta variant” cos the vaccines are effective against that variant also. It’s just baffling; restaurants know what they need to do in terms of Covid guidelines for dining indoors, don’t treat them like children.

You may wish to check your figures btw.
    Currently, 41% of the population are fully vaccinated while 65% have had at least one dose of vaccine.

The problem with one dose is that those unvaccinated or who have had only one dose at most at risk from the Covid delta variant
    Delta is moderately resistant to vaccines, particularly in people who have received just a single dose. A Public Health England study published on 22 May found that a single dose of either AstraZeneca's or Pfizer's vaccine reduced a person’s risk of developing COVID-19 symptoms caused by the Delta variant by 33%, compared to 50% for the Alpha variant. A second dose of the AstraZeneca vaccine boosted protection against Delta to 60% (compared to 66% against Alpha), while two doses of Pfizer’s jab were 88% effective (compared to 93% against Alpha).

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭delricyo

Any clarification on cinemas and theatres? Are these going to be shut for the next 2 weeks now?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

will Tony be on later this evening to defend this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

Irish Times Headline today:

NPHET More than 2,000 could die from Covid in September.

Its a pity they don't print The Irish Times on smaller, softer and more absorbent 3 ply sheets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Its a pity they don't print The Irish Times on smaller, softer and more absorbent 3 ply sheets.

Then there'd be two asshóles on the front page :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

will Tony be on later this evening to defend this?

No, we didnt elect Premier Tony :D

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

bear1 wrote: »
    I believe lads we've just witnessed the end of this government today.

And replaced by others who have not challenged the government and NPHET? The vast majority of them are spineless. So hard to vote for any one of these.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

bucketybuck's threadban lifted after discussion with poster

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭francogarbanzo

gozunda wrote: »
    Currently, 41% of the population are fully vaccinated while 65% have had at least one dose of vaccine.

The problem with one dose is that those unvaccinated or who have had only one dose at most at risk from the Covid delta variant

image.jpg

You sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭brickster69

Is this the same science that said AZ and J&J was not suitable for the younger population but now is.
    They’re making it up as they go along. A primary school class would do a better job.

Yes, the very same ones who said it was not suitable for older people at the start of this fiasco. :eek:

All roads lead to Rome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,308 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

What's wrong with that headline? NPHET did actually say that they're only reporting the facts just like every other news outlet did

• Registered Users Posts: 17,634 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

gozunda wrote: »

Not according to what I heard on Virgin earlier, they said 70%+ have had 1 dose.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

bear1 wrote: »
    I believe lads we've just witnessed the end of this government today.

To be replaced by parties who want even more restrictions?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

image.jpg

You sure?

This might be a good time to point out that EVERYBOdY who receives a COVID-19 vaccine will die.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭bear1

And replaced by others who have not challenged the government and NPHET? The vast majority of them are spineless. So hard to vote for any one of these.

I hear trump needs a job and tbh I'd gladly put him in power if I could.

What's wrong with that headline? NPHET did actually say that they're only reporting the facts just like every other news outlet did

For some people unless the media are telling them what they want to hear then it's biased or wrong.

To be replaced by parties who want even more restrictions?

More restrictions but a better chance to buy a house and a stronger health service... At least we would get some things we need in our country

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

RobitTV wrote: »
    Vaccines have broken the link between Covid cases and hospitalisations.

But our link with the Irish people shall never be broken.

We will manage your risk. We will make your choices. All for a safer Ireland.

o9yzUnRa_400x400.jpg

5ewex7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭jusvi2001

What a pathetic leader is this Martin. no vision or courage lead this country out of this situation. we were the only country in europe to shut down construction and now we are the only country where indoor dining is still closed. If NPHET whose expert advise is 'close down everthing' since last 15 months is running this country then why we need these political spineless clowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Yup.
    Delta is moderately resistant to vaccines, particularly in people who have received just a single dose. A Public Health England study published on 22 May found that a single dose of either AstraZeneca's or Pfizer's vaccine reduced a person’s risk of developing COVID-19 symptoms caused by the Delta variant by 33%, compared to 50% for the Alpha variant. A second dose of the AstraZeneca vaccine boosted protection against Delta to 60% (compared to 66% against Alpha), while two doses of Pfizer’s jab were 88% effective (compared to 93% against Alpha).

If you like to present your scientific reasoning as to why you disagree with the findings that those unvaccinated or just had one dose are most at risk (and btw you may notice that's not just "deaths") from the Covid delta variant - then I'm sure they'd be delighted to accommodate any pertinent information

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

A question.

Based in best guess I know......

A close friend is getting married in early August and was advised that they could have 100 at the reception.

How likely is that to happen now (not very I'd imagine)?

Just be interested to k ow the opinions of some of the regular loons :) who follow up on these things more than I do

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

More restrictions but a better chance to buy a house and a stronger health service... At least we would get some things we need in our country

It's beyond naïve to think that any of the current parties will give you any of the above. They are all the same, the only difference is what they call themselves.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Apparently communions and confirmations were on and are now off, again.

Anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭landofthetree

image.jpg

You sure?
    Of those who were fully vaccinated who caught the Delta variant, 50 died, data from Public Health England that was published on Friday indicated.

The figure represents almost half of the total 117 deaths associated with the variant in the UK, where Delta now represents most cases.

But experts said this does not undermine what we know about the efficacy of the vaccines, given that the deaths come from age groups at higher risk and represent a tiny proportion of the 92,029 Delta cases analyzed.

Eight people under the age of 50 died after getting the Delta variant, the data showed. None was fully vaccinated, while two had received one dose of the vaccine.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com/vaccinated-among-delta-deaths-but-older-relatively-few-uk-data-2021-6%3famp

50 deaths out of 92k cases isnt enough to shut down so much.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

the kelt wrote: »
    Apparently communions and confirmations were on and are now off, again.

Anyone know?

Off, sorry

https://twitter.com/SeanDefoe/status/1409862191684141056?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 11,927 ✭✭✭✭titan18

A question.

Based in best guess I know......

A close friend is getting married in early August and was advised that they could have 100 at the reception.

How likely is that to happen now (not very I'd imagine)?

Just be interested to k ow the opinions of some of the regular loons :) who follow up on these things more than I do

I'd say no chance

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭eastie17

RobitTV wrote: »

In the next chapter of the sci fi novel that we're now living in, you'll see lads with guns wearing flak jackets with NPHET on the back strolling around the place.
    Some lad will be bundled into the back of an armoured vehicle, observers will say "what was that for?" someone will answer "wasnt wearing a mask, but he was caught with spray can as well defacing the Dr Tony mural"

TomTomTim wrote: »
    It's beyond naïve to think that any of the current parties will give you any of the above. They are all the same, the only difference is what they call themselves.

Probably, but at the same time I've only ever seen 2 parties in power in my lifetime and the other ones say they can fix the above... I've no proof that they won't or can't unlike the current crowd so time to think positive

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

delricyo wrote: »
    Any clarification on cinemas and theatres? Are these going to be shut for the next 2 weeks now?

There's a few major differences between a cinema and a Pub I can think off the top of my head.

In a cinema you wont see much chatting, singing or shouting during the movie. Drinking Alcohol reduces peoples inhibitions and responsibility by default. Its not a popular fact to acknowledge, but there's a reason why we are encouraged not to do dangerous things when drinking alcohol. It is far easier to manage social distancing in cinemas aswell as people do not move around much. I have never seen a cinema toilet as busy as a toilet from a pub. And when people get Tipsey they are far more likely to be less compliant and reasonable when asked to be compliant.

In terms of why pubs are opening in Europe and not here, that's a different topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭shockframe

Gareth Southgate: No leader could get it more wrong potentially today.
    Michael Martin: Hold my Beer.

Advertisement