Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colm Cooper's 'corporate-sponsored dinner'

Options
  • 14-09-2017 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/green-light-for-gooch-s-corporate-sponsored-testimonial-dinner-1.3218457

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/croke-park-has-misgivings-over-colm-cooper-testimonial-1.3219379

Haven't seen this posted anywhere- apologies it so.

So what do lads make of this?

Now reading the article, it is a little unclear what exactly what is happening.

On the one hand, it seems to suggest that there will be a charitable shin dig to raise money for charity. Colm Cooper has been roped in to add a famous face and help- ok I think we all get that.

But strangely the article produces a number of quotes (from Cooper) which to me look awfully like he is pre empting hard questions about the event i.e. he will split the funds at his discretion

Two charities – Our Lady’s Children’s Hospital, Crumlin, and Kerry Cancer Support Group – will also benefit although the precise allocation of proceeds is unclear beyond organiser Mick Culhane’s statement that the charitable donations will be “significant and split equally” but at Cooper’s “discretion”.

The articles heavily imply that Cooper will be taking a cut and this in affect amounts to a testimonial.

Being cynical, they have latched on a few charities to take the sting out of any inevitable criticism.

The whole point of 'testimonials' in soccer anyway was to help to give the players a final payday before the retired. Back in the day players were on relatively normal salaries, lived in modest houses and were washed up at 31-32. God help them if they had a career threatening injury. Having prob signed professionally at 15/16 they had no transferable skills or qualifications by the time they were in their early 30s. Vast majority of ex players from the 'old days' went back into normal jobs. Of course nowadays, after a few years they are made for life and testimonials are not so prevalent- even then the money goes to charity (thanks to Gary Kelly and Niall Quinn's precedent).

Now, Colm Cooper is an amateur and did not make a living off football *cough* and had a normal job (AIB I think) so this really is puzzling...confused.png

So I guess testimonials for retired players will be the new thing going forward.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭hurler97

On the one hand, it seems to suggest that there will be a charitable shin dig to raise money for charity. Colin Cooper has been roped in to add a famous face and help- ok I think we all get that.

Now, Colin Cooper is an amateur and did not make a living off football *cough* and had a normal job (AIB I think) so this really is puzzling...

Colin Cooper?????!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

hurler97 wrote: »
    Colin Cooper?????!!!!

Ooops my bad. Changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,344 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I can see this happening in every parish in Ireland when the local "legend" hangs up his boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Fair f**ks to him. He provided great entertainment to people for well over a decade. Not gonna begrudge him a few euro if he is getting that. Ideally all players would be able to make a few euro out of it but that's not the way the world works. If I was Cooper, would do the same thing.

I can see this happening in every parish in Ireland when the local "legend" hangs up his boots.

Indeed.

Sure county has a few 'stars' that are kept sweet with a few fat brown envelopes...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Fair f**ks to him. He provided great entertainment to people for well over a decade. Not gonna begrudge him a few euro if he is getting that. Ideally all players would be able to make a few euro out of it but that's not the way the world works. If I was Cooper, would do the same thing.

I hear you but should he not wait until he has completely retired?

That was the thing about the GAA. Everyone else is making money sorry expenses but the players.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I hear you but should he not wait until he has completely retired?

That was the thing about the GAA. Everyone else is making money sorry expenses but the players.

County level is where the big interest is, and if he waited until he retires from club level as well, then there simply won't be as much interest, or money.

CatInABox wrote: »
    County level is where the big interest is, and if he waited until he retires from club level as well, then there simply won't be as much interest, or money.

I guess it is a flagrant breach of the 'amateur' status.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

I guess it is a flagrant breach of the 'amateur' status.
    How is it? He's not getting paid to play. What about players appearing as pundits on RTE? They're not doing it for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

I don't know, I wouldn't be in favour of it. It smacks of greed really.

Ok he has provided a lot of entertainment over the years but the GAA has been good to him too and he's been involved in ad campaigns for AIB and Lucozade which he has no doubt received money from. Not to mention the cushy number he has on The Sunday Game.

Something tells me if it was a Dublin player that was doing this, say for instance Alan Brogan, there would be a lot more people up in arms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

How is it? He's not getting paid to play.

firstly, personally I have no problem with this

secondly...if it didn't matter, why was it put to GAA HQ by Cooper to make sure they were happy with it.

GAA players are amateurs and there are controls around that. It isn't as simple as saying "ah sure we just had a dinner for him, we are not paying him to play"

If it was that simple all sorts of things could go on to effectivley "pay" or compensate GAA players

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Fair play to him, everyone involved with the GAA make a packet out of it, so it's about time the players got a piece of the pie..

Can't see why anyone who isn't going would have a problem with it..

Hope it catches on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Nothing against the Gooch, but this sort of thing needs to be more transparent. Not the first time Culhane has been involved in such ventures. Does he work for Liberty Insurance? I doubt he is doing it for nothing.

Would be interesting to know what the charities are getting. knowing what we do about them, they tend to be fobbed off quite cheaply by the people who collect the money for them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Fair play to him, everyone involved with the GAA make a packet out of it, so it's about time the players got a piece of the pie..

Can't see why anyone who isn't going would have a problem with it..

Hope it catches on.

I'm involved with the GAA as aplayer and coach over the years , it cost me money, never saw a penny from it. A slim minority make money from it. Don't get me wrong I think players should get some kind of compensation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

I don't see the problem with it, and see it in much the same way as former county players do tv punditry or write for papers. They are earning a few pound off the back of having previously played sport to a high level.

Ads, punditry and now testimonials. It's definitely muddying the waters some more and adding to the greyness.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Ok he has provided a lot of entertainment over the years but the GAA has been good to him too and he's been involved in ad campaigns for AIB and Lucozade which he has no doubt received money from. Not to mention the cushy number he has on The Sunday Game.

Something tells me if it was a Dublin player that was doing this, say for instance Alan Brogan, there would be a lot more people up in arms.

100% in agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Bingo!

There is not a peep from the Kerry Media Mafia about any of this. It would be a massively different story, if it was a Dub. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

I'm hugely disappointed with this.
    Cooper has gone down in my estimation here. Why didn't McNamee from Offaly get one? Nicholas Murphy from Cork? etc. etc. Cooper was one of the greats but this piggy backing on the name of charities is quite frankly cringeworthy at best.

Cooper has gone down in my estimation here. Why didn't McNamee from Offaly get one? Nicholas Murphy from Cork? etc. etc. Cooper was one of the greats but this piggy backing on the name of charities is quite frankly cringeworthy at best.

I don't think it's an honour bestowed upon players, cooper himself is organising this and presumably other players are free to follow his example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭doc_17

I think the charities should be kept away from away it as it gives the impression thst are being used a bit to be honest...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

I don't think it's an honour bestowed upon players, cooper himself is organising this and presumably other players are free to follow his example.

Fair enough, but just do it between himself and his agent and Culhane. Not be using the cover of charity.

My experience of charities and this sort of lark - and I do have some direct experience - is that they often, perhaps even mostly, get laughably small amounts of money in return for lending their names to events and collections. Indeed we have had several prominent examples of how many of them are run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

That , eh , Tyrone lad who had the most championship matches up until the last match he deserves one also.
    Why not just go fully pro and pay them ffs?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Donal55 wrote: »
    That , eh , Tyrone lad who had the most championship matches up until the last match he deserves one also.

There's no way the fully professional model is sustainable within the GAA.In addition it would likely cause great resentment within community of club players.

The focus should continue to be looking after the players properly in recognition of their great sacrifices.Their representative bodies,both the GPA and club players association must continue to champion of their behalves.

The largely amateur ethos and volunteerism is what makes the association so wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

Donal55 wrote: »

If your asking that question in all seriousness then I don't really think you'd understand the complexities behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,900 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I wonder is the grub going to be good ??.

For your €500 I wonder could you get Chicken Nuggets and Chips and then Ice cream for desert if ur a fussy eater

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭threeball

Flake away and have your testomonial but dont try to use the name of something as important as crumlin childrens hospital to generate interest. What happens tge next time one of the patrons of this event gets asked to donate to this worthy cause again? Theyll be met with shur I gave ye a good donation already when half it goes down coopers arse pocket.
    Hes already creaming it as an rte pundit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,560 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

€500 for a dinner,holy jaysus. For that I'd want to be spoon fed by sexy lingerie models and be on a promise after it. If I got beef or salmon I'd f*** it back at them,charity or not

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I wonder is the grub going to be good ??.

For your €500 I wonder could you get Chicken Nuggets and Chips and then Ice cream for desert if ur a fussy eater

Chicken goujons and pommes frites and then sorbet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Ads, punditry and now testimonials. It's definitely muddying the waters some more and adding to the greyness.

Amateurism means not getting paid to play a sport.That is all the GAA can control , they cannot control anything else that a player does therefore if they want to use the fame they have got from playing gaelic games to generate some money for themselves nobody can stop it and it isn't against the GAA's rules and Cooper might as well do the best he can for himself.

My only issue with what Cooper is doing is the charity angle attached to it to try and convince people this is something other than what it is.I makes the whole thing seem sleazy and underhanded.

Also there is no way I'd be willing to pay for some fella's testimonial in any sport why should a sportsperson be entitled to get a nice lump sum paid for by the fans we've already paid to see you in action as a player get yourself a job like the rest of the world does when you finish up playing sport be it professional or amateur sport.I'd be all for helping out someone in genuine trouble but I don't think Cooper is that in fact I'd say he's a quite well off individual.

Advertisement