Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round... 2017 ?

Options
  • 03-01-2017 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭

Surprised this hasn't been started already, so here goes.

75 gross for 41pts Dunmurry Springs today. Course in great condition.

7 pars and 2 bogies on front nine
    2 birdies, 3 pars and 4 bogies on back nine.

Should be happy with the score but had three putts that I still can't see how they didn't drop.

Anyways best of luck to all for the Golfing Year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

mafc wrote: »
    Surprised this hasn't been started already, so here goes.

75 gross for 41pts Dunmurry Springs today. Course in great condition.

7 pars and 2 bogies on front nine
    2 birdies, 3 pars and 4 bogies on back nine.

Should be happy with the score but had three putts that I still can't see how they didn't drop.

Anyways best of luck to all for the Golfing Year.

Great shooting around there Mafc! its a tough enough track!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Decided to get off to a quick start this year and get the first tournament in for 2017 yesterday.

Winter rules and off the whites the course was playing easier than normal, still was happy with how I played.

2 doubles, 4 bogies, 10 pars and 2 birdies to get around with an encouraging 78 strokes. Managed 50% GIR and 50% of fairways hit. Of the non GIR I managed to get up and down 3 times which is unusual for me. Big correlation between hitting fairways and getting at least a par.

I won't count it as breaking 80 given how the course was setup. Got the winter handicap down to 10 so moving in the right direction. Course still in very good condition given the time of year.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

First 9 holes counting a score (Practice 9).

Played a few holes and a scramble this year only. Great signs.

The weather warnings last few days would put the fear into anyone even going out never mind playing golf. Only 90 mins of daylight too, so was a very quick nine.

Got to first - left driver in car - in cold conditions (3 degrees) with a 3 wood should be interesting. The tees a little forward so should be playing to my handicap as per the other threads on winter scores. No placing, full rules.

Was delighted to go out as was thinking , what is the point in having winter gear if you don't test it fully :(:eek::)

3 layers on bottom and 4 layers on top - cosy.

Delighted with myself , played out of my under layer skin, up and down 2 out of 2. And basically regulation golf for the other 7.

Finished the 9, 1 under and first time under like that in a while. Lip out on 9th for 2 under and had 3 other decent Bird chances

I've managed to have a great early season , have done this last 3 years with good wins in tough conditions.

I have put in a lot of winter work last 3 years and it has paid off - but this has not translated to good summer form.

It is almost like I peak too early in year , then hit summer at a sot of limit of my ability.

So - great to get the wins - but want a bit more in the later season this year.

Not sure how to do that yet.

Game at present

Driving 8/10
    Long game 8/10 (190 to 210)
    Mid Irons 9/10 (155 to 185)
    short irons 6/10 (110 to 150)
    Wedge play 5/10 (50 to 100)
    Short game 7/10 (green side/bunkers)
    Putting 8/10
    Head 8/10

So can't complain - there is only a small space in all that to improve.

So very positive at present - all of a sudden.
    In fairness - I put the work in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

First day I'll round of the year, 36 points off 12.

happy with how I played. Hope this is a sign of good things for this year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭ballyk

I played my first golf of 2017 yesterday, 9 holes of practice in Ballykisteen. Shot +6 which was ok but should have been better as I had a double bogey on 8. Parred the index 1 into the wind which was nice as it's a hole I rarely have a par on. Lipped out for birdie on 6 also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

Out this morning, supposed to play 18 but weather was ****e and retired after nine.

Played really well
    3 birdies
    4 pars
    2 bogey's

Both bogey"s were down to poor chips.
    Two putts that needed another roll and they were in for birdie.
    Was half tempted to continue the round but with continuous rain falling thought better of it.
    Still -1 for nine holes so more than happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

good day today

+3 (38pts) open singles at Portmarnock Links

in with a shout - just waiting for the results email :)

good day today

+3 (38pts) open singles at Portmarnock Links

in with a shout - just waiting for the results email :)

Great score.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

21 points Front and 12 points back (33) in Ardee just over a week ago off 21

10 Bogies , 4 Doubles,2 Scratch and 2 Pars

Unlucky off average shots on the scratches. Clipped a branch ( being generous ) and kicked the ball into the forest leaving a lost ball. The other plugged in the hazard lines and thought I could get it out and i couldn't.

Lipped out or stopped short of a few pars. Blew up on the back nine after the scratches and lipped putts.

Lesson this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

32 points on the Smurfit course yesterday with 5 scratches. Very inconsistent!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

First round since before xmas. 13 hole - 21pts (off 18). Mixed bag including 4 pars and 4 blanks.
    Really need to get this random hooking sorted, lost 3 balls OOB and just kills any round. Bar the hooking, everything else is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

43 points off 16 last week. 2 triple bogeys, 1 on front 9 and one on back 9. First time I ever strung together a good run of pars, 6 in first 6. Chipping from around 20 feet in is killing me. Delighted with the round though as I now know I can play the way I want to. Was placing everywhere though so suppose that put a little damper on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Didn't see a comparable thread for 2017, so decided to start one......mostly because I've had a few good scores and want to crow about them :D:D:D

For about the last 4 weeks I've been waging 'holy jihad' in golfing terms.....

.....37 pts in Corballis......28 pts (15 holes) in a gale on my local links......won last week (38 pts, 15 holes).....and won this week (32 pts, 15 holes during Storm Ewan)......first time ever getting back-to-back birdies!!*

Unfortunately, as they were all non-qualifiers it won't trim my handicap directly, but I'm hoping the Handicap Secretary will take note and start sharpening his axe for a review!!!

I made a conscious decision not to let my golf fall off in October/November as it usually does and I maintained a steady practice regime - I may be starting to see the benefits!

*happy to verify these scores with a mod just if anyone thinks I'm engaging in a bit of shenanigans :)

37 pts +8 K Club Smurfitt course two weeks ago
    Ticking along ok but thought I'd have played a few more full rounds by now, weather getting in the way .
    March and proper competition is coming fast so looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Played 9 holes (Royal Tara / Tara Nine) to get some golf in before I fly out

5 Over for 9 off 21 so delighted.

On a weeks holidays so got to the range last night and this morning before I went to bed in some thing I'm working on from the lessons. Got lucky a good bit today but some really good shots aswell. Playing in warmish ( tee shirt) weather helped alot mentally and physically. Trying to make more time for practice but its tough with the hours I do.

Made this for Birdie aswell, class day today for a few hours

8790D170-ABC9-4D45-BFE4-2281CD3503A7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

First 18 hole singles competition of the year for me today at the home club. Had been 9, then 12, then 14 hole comps up to this weekend.

Had a really nice round today. 39 points, 81 strokes, 33 putts (no 3 putts) off 12. 1 birdie, nothing worse than a bogey on the card.

Didn't play brilliantly, but did very little wrong. I probably hit 2 poor chips, and missed 1 putt in a range that I should have made thanks to a slight push with the putter.

Lagged really well, but made nothing longer than probably 10 feet.

When I hit an offline shot, I took my medicine & banked on my ability to recover, and it paid off. Didn't take on any unnecessary risks.

Can hopefully carry the form forward for the year ahead.

Also first round with my new limited edition putter grip fitted (won it in a comp on GolfPunk)

2l88a3s.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

played a 4 club game today. used 3 iron off the tee and without blowing my own trumpet, i was flushing it. hit one 241 with no wind at all, just got it so well. another few around the 220 mark, most around 200. also had 7 iron and pw with me and hit them pretty good also.

my putting was dire. think i had 7 3putts (including a few from just off the green) and about 4 other soft misses from about 3ft, which is not like me, but just a cold spell with the putter.

found it an interesting concept and i guess i struggled a bit with not hitting full shots. would like to play it a bit more, it would certainly make an all round golfer out of you.

i shot a massive 24 points, but was actually very happy with how my ball striking is coming together. my iron play is as good as it has been in a log time, looking forward to the next few weeks when the fairways dry out and with a stretch in the evenings, i plan to get to spend a few hours on the putting green... then i'm ready :D

39pts +6 today in one of the slowest rounds I've played in a long long time.
    4:40 minutes waiting on every tee box and fairway.
    Watching guys 270yds from the green waiting for the green to clear and then hitting it 150.

Despite the extremely slow play I managed 11 pars, 1 birdie 5 bogies and the usual stupid double.
    I have also put a New putter in the bag and happy to say it's bedding in well with no three putts.

34pts +11 in wet & windy conditions, started with a birdie and was on 8th green putting for another only to 3 putt to put me two over par. Doubled the ninth.
    Back nine was hit & miss with 1 birdie,2 pars, 5 bogey's and a fupping scratch.
    Still happy enough as I drove it well and bar one hole I putted really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭WheresMyPar

7 over par yesterday 37pt
    Played well in tough conditions 3 over after 12 holes,
    3 putted 13th with a birdie attempt from about 7 feet,
    Picked up 3 bogeys last 4 holes 2 should have been easy pars,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Down9194

39pts of 16hcp of Corballis on Thursday 19 out with 0pts at second hole 20 back 9 chipped in at 16 from 85yds for birdie. Best round in 6 months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

37 points off 2 in my first 18 hole comp of the year around Lucan GC.

Weather looked pretty grim before we teed off but cleared up nicely after 3 or 4 holes. Course still quite soft however and it was breezy enough to make it a challenging day, so I probably would've taken +1 before I went out. Bizarre round, in that I made zero birdies, 1 bogey and a lot of pars!

I hit the ball very poorly for most of the day, especially around the turn, but chipped it reasonably well and made a couple of momentum putts that kept me going. First one came at the very first hole from 5 feet, and I had to make a couple of tricky ones from short range on 5 and 6. My lone bogey came at 8, where I hit an awful drive and ended up leaving it short from about 7 feet.

Proceeded to hole from 6 feet on 10, 10 feet on 11, 13 feet on 12 and about 12 feet on 15, all for pivotal pars! Finally hit a decent long shot into the 16th for a comfortable par 3 on a difficult hole. Despite a wild hook off 17, I managed to hit the green in regulation and 2 putted for par. Hoiked it miles left again off the the 18th, but was fortunate to end up in the 17th fairway :pac: Hit an overly conservative layup which left me with a tricky third into the par 5, but managed to hit another half decent iron shot to within 18 feet, from where I managed one final par.

Not sure what to make of the day. Ended up coming 5th, so that's definitely the first prize I've won in I don't know how long where I haven't managed to make a single birdie (and didn't even threaten tbh). Not at all happy with my driving but chipping and putting certainly made up for it. I suppose I'll have to take some encouragement from scoring respectably after hitting it so bad!
    Can't get any worse, so roll on next week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 CrunchyBear

Played Fota Island on Saturday. First time playing it and the course was in lovely condition compared to some of the wet and soft course I have played recently.
    Scored 38 points of 18 hcp. Played very average on the front 9 with just 2 pars and made the turn with 15 points. However managed to play the last 8 holes in 2 over playing some of the best golf I have ever played for a 23 point back 9.
    Made some adjustments to my swing and putting stroke in the last month and they seem to be coming together so looking forward to the summer now

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭AhHaor

42 points off 7 on Sat, Druids Heath White Tee (first white tee event of the year).

Had 10 putts for last 10 holes, I was putting into a bucket! Won by 5. mad stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Played castle knock today , was first time playing in almost 2 years ,scrapped round in 79 off a mix of green and white tees in brutal conditions

levitronix wrote: »
    Played castle knock today , was first time playing in almost 2 years ,scrapped round in 79 off a mix of green and white tees in brutal conditions

great score considering :)

Was some poxy day to play golf in today. Fair play

• Registered Users Posts: 31 dconnolly81

33 points of 14 in doonbeg. Not bad since it was only my second round since October. Poor 1st 9 11 points. Good back 22 points level par going onto 16 and then colasped had bogey d/bogey bogey to finish off

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭WheresMyPar

First medal weekend still placing non counting ,
    Played dirt hooked a few irons terrible,
    4 over after 8 holes battling to stay in comp 9th hole hit a super drive out of bounds stupid internal out of bounds,
    So ripped my card up

• Advertisement

So ripped my card up

why did you do that?

Advertisement