Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

767 on a hover barge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Buffman

I'm guessing that's former EI-CZD he's after buying.

After reading the article I was wondering how birds would be nesting in it until I saw a photo.

It probably would be far easier/cheaper for him to cut it up into transportable sizes for road transport and reassemble it on site.

Or he could have done a deal with the dismantlers based at Knock and got one closer to home.

Not sure it would qualify as 'glamping' if he pulls it off, just be a big caravan if he leaves the gear down!:D

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Bazzy

He was on the Anton savage show earlier he'd take years off you he's so funny.

I could imagine being in Shannon the day they got that call.

Its a different idea if nothing, He was saying that 5,000 bolts approx hold it together and if they try to get it back in one piece it could be a nightmare

he plans on leaving the cockpit intact in his words "for kids" I suspect more grown ups than kids will be in it

Some sight to see if it ever takes off (pardon the pun)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

How will they get it from the airport to the barge?
    Would be great to see them try move it and apparently they're making a TV series.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Bazzy wrote: »
    He was on the Anton savage show earlier he'd take years off you he's so funny.

I could imagine being in Shannon the day they got that call.

Its a different idea if nothing, He was saying that 5,000 bolts approx hold it together and if they try to get it back in one piece it could be a nightmare

he plans on leaving the cockpit intact in his words "for kids" I suspect more grown ups than kids will be in it

Some sight to see if it ever takes off (pardon the pun)

This lad should be getting as much support as possible...He's prepared to front-up his own money and is also pushing the boundaries of Irish Tourism....mind you I'd say he frightened the livin daylights out of the Irish Local Authorities with all them requests.....

He had hoped to put cranes on the bridges and hoist the plane over them but the local authorities refused him permission to use cranes on the bridges.

Oh my God......"Just say NO !" :eek:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

AlekSmart wrote: »
    This lad should be getting as much support as possible...He's prepared to front-up his own money and is also pushing the boundaries of Irish Tourism....mind you I'd say he frightened the livin daylights out of the Irish Local Authorities with all them requests.....

Oh my God......"Just say NO !" :eek:

Some man for one man as they say...:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Buffman

Another article with some more detail and pics. I wish him all the best.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

Buffman wrote: »
    Another article with some more detail and pics. I wish him all the best.

Wow, a correct file image.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

another article on it also -

http://www.independent.ie/life/home-garden/funeral-director-buys-boeing-767-to-create-glamping-village-in-sligo-but-how-will-he-move-it-from-shannon-airport-34501264.html

incredible story, how on earth did he get this for €20k?

i want one :) wonder if theres any more of them around like that price!?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I love this idea. I doubt I will ever visit this glamping site, however fair play to him. What an entrepreneur with vision and gumption!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,040 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

What an awesome idea..... I have to admire his enthusiasm :):)

I also got to learn a new word "glamping" :)

• Advertisement

Tenger wrote: »
    I love this idea. I doubt I will ever visit this glamping site, however fair play to him. What an entrepreneur with vision and gumption!!

i would definitely visit it....and i will.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭sligolad1

Best of luck to him, will definitely visit if it good ahead!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Bazzy

Shannon757 wrote: »
    How will they get it from the airport to the barge?
    Would be great to see them try move it and apparently they're making a TV series.

Apparently the Hover Barge will drive out of the shannon and theres an access road that they will tow the pane down and put it on the barge there.

If he pulls this off it will be a good example of what makes this country beautiful.

He's an undertaker buy a 757 to bring on a hover barge to enniscrone from Shannon words i'd never though i'd type

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Apparently the Hover Barge will drive out of the shannon and theres an access road that they will tow the pane down and put it on the barge there.

If he pulls this off it will be a good example of what makes this country beautiful.

He's an undertaker buy a 757 to bring on a hover barge to enniscrone from Shannon words i'd never though i'd type

Seems to be a huge undertaking ;)

any more of these planes hanging around for sale?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Fantastic idea, and I certainly would be up for spending a night there should the project be completed.

any more of these planes hanging around for sale?
    another article on it also -

http://www.independent.ie/life/home-garden/funeral-director-buys-boeing-767-to-create-glamping-village-in-sligo-but-how-will-he-move-it-from-shannon-airport-34501264.html

incredible story, how on earth did he get this for €20k?

i want one :) wonder if theres any more of them around like that price!?

Crowdfunding idea guys?

Shannon757 wrote: »
    Crowdfunding idea guys?

I'm in,

all I ask in return is a few hours per week, alone with her, with my captains hat on.

He's an undertaker buy a 757 767to bring on a hover barge to enniscrone from Shannon words i'd never though i'd type

FYP:D I'd love to be there to see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

A crowd in the UK has a similar idea albeit on a somewhat smaller scale

http://www.reamhills.co.uk/lynx-helicopter.html

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Could some brave pilots not fly it into either Knock or Sligo Airport? Is it airworthy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

Is it airworthy?
    I doubt it but I am not qualified to say for certain.
    See photo link from post 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,482 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Stinicker wrote: »
    Could some brave pilots not fly it into either Knock or Sligo Airport? Is it airworthy?

Absence of engines could be somewhat of a hindrance. Not a hope of landing a 767 in Sligo either.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Mike1961

Stinicker wrote:

The engine was removed. That fella is a helluva character. You'd want to hear him... gas man

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

..... Is it airworthy?

Not a chance, considering it was used be nesting birds.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I didn't see the pictures and I thought maybe it was one of the TransAero planes which recently went to Shannon for storage after they went bankrupt.

How long is Sligo? I remember seeing a Qantas 747 permanently flown into some tiny airstrip in Australia where it was going to be an exhibit. The 747 could never again take off even if they wanted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,482 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

I didn't see the pictures and I thought maybe it was one of the TransAero planes which recently went to Shannon for storage after they went bankrupt.

How long is Sligo? I remember seeing a Qantas 747 permanently flown into some tiny airstrip in Australia where it was going to be an exhibit. The 747 could never again take off even if they wanted to.

I think (from they way he told it) that the plane was in Shannon when Transaero went bust, and they were stuck with it, and a heap of unpaid bills and were just glad to get shot of it, hence why he picked it up for 20k.

From Wiki:

Runways
    Direction Length n ft Surface

11/29 1,199 3,933 Asphalt

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I think (from they way he told it) that the plane was in Shannon when Transaero went bust, and they were stuck with it, and a heap of unpaid bills and were just glad to get shot of it, hence why he picked it up for 20k.

That 767 has been sitting in the same spot stripped of everything that's missing in the picture for nearly two years (well before Transaero ceased operations last October). Both starboard doors have been open the entire time.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Arkady

As "funny" as the project is for comedy value . . .
    Who'd really want to spend the night in some scrap smelly 767 in a Sligo field ?

• Advertisement

Arkady wrote: »
    Who'd really want to spend the night in some scrap smelly 767 in a Sligo field ?

I would if it looked like any of these;

KLM-Airbnb-aircraft-2.jpg

Airplane-Hotel-Suites-4.jpg

repurposed-airplane-hotel7.jpg

img_airplane_hotel_3.jpg

24.jpg

1a1add4bf4900122751749967f6a2ebb.jpg

Advertisement