Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laws on no backbox?

Options
  • 22-02-2016 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

Can somebody help me out here, My E36 got seized for having no backbox on it, There was a complete exhaust system on it, But just a small bit past the rear wheels to the rear bumper was straight piped, The exhuast still have a cat and a silencer in it so it wasn't loud at bar it idling and small bit loud in 1st and 2nd and it was grand then, Is it legal to have it like that with the cat and silencer in it? Or do i need the backbox too? The car is booked in for the test for the 3rd of march, I had another e36 with the exact same exhaust straight piped from just behind the rear wheels to the rear bumper and nothing got said in the test centre just the fact it was 104dbs, So could anybody shed some light on the legal side of having a backbox or needing one if a cat and the silencer is still in it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Moved from Motors to Legal Discussion. Feel free to bounce back.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

So they outright seized the car? What did they stop you for?
    The only thing that springs to mind is the possibility that it's illegal to drive with a defective exhaust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Was your NCT out of date?

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Daaryl

bear1 wrote: »
    So they outright seized the car? What did they stop you for?
    The only thing that springs to mind is the possibility that it's illegal to drive with a defective exhaust.

Basically i was at a car cruise, heard about it off one of my friends so popped out for a look, Parked up next to me friend, Then just drove around for a look and the gaurd started shouting at me and telling me to stop, He then gave out about the car rubbing when it wasn't, Started giving out about the stickers on the side back windows, etc, He seized my car and a mk5 golf for a yellow reg out of about 40-50 cars there

Was your NCT out of date?

It's up the 3rd of march, Just out of tax since january

• Advertisement

Your car can be seized for examination if they believe it is dangerous or defective. Sounds like what was done to you. It'll be examined by a trained Garda PSV inspector and returned to you.

As to the exhaust, I think the current regulation is
    65. The exhaust pipe on a vehicle shall be so fitted or shielded that no inflammable material can fall or be thrown upon it from any other part of the vehicle and that it is not likely to cause a fire through proximity to any inflammable material on the vehicle, and its outlet shall be placed on the right side of the vehicle and far enough to the rear to prevent, as far as practicable, fumes from entering the vehicle.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1963/si/190/made/en/print#zzsi190y1963a65

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

This the 2nd car you had siezed this year

Daaryl wrote: »
    Basically i was at a car cruise, heard about it off one of my friends so popped out for a look, Parked up next to me friend, Then just drove around for a look and the gaurd started shouting at me and telling me to stop, He then gave out about the car rubbing when it wasn't, Started giving out about the stickers on the side back windows, etc, He seized my car and a mk5 golf for a yellow reg out of about 40-50 cars there

So your car was seized for having a uk style reg?
    If there were 40/50 cars there then there must have been something that caught their attention.

I mean if you sum it up its a bit more than a missing back box.

1) incorrect number plates
    2) no tax
    3) louder than normal
    4) lowered heavily I'm guessing?
    5) stickers on the windows which could be obstructive?
    6) no back box

I mean when you hear it like that it paints a different type of picture.

So your car was seized for having a uk style reg?
    If there were 40/50 cars there then there must have been something that caught their attention.
    His for the exhaust, golf for reg is how I read it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

I read it that the yellow reg is the reason the other car was seized, not the op's.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 73,396 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Wow, you're like a Garda magnet!

I've no idea then, I thought both cars were lifted for having the yellow plates.
    On top of the other items.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,235 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I've no idea then, I thought both cars were lifted for having the yellow plates.
    On top of the other items.

the OPs car doesnt have yellow plates from what i can tell. Their other issues are enough for guards to take action.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

the fact it was 4 dbs over the legal limit, So could anybody shed some light on the legal side of having a backbox or needing one if a cat and the silencer is still in it?

Haven't you answered your own question here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

The Decibel scale is a logarithmic scale.
    For every 10dB increase the level of noise is doubled.
    4dB is a significant margin

Personally, I congratulate the Garda for his/her diligence. Loud exhausts are an anti-social nuisance.

I mean if you sum it up its a bit more than a missing back box.

1) incorrect number plates
    2) no tax
    3) louder than normal
    4) lowered heavily I'm guessing?
    5) stickers on the windows which could be obstructive?
    6) no back box

I mean when you hear it like that it paints a different type of picture.

1, Plates are correct on the car and are not illegal!
    2, Alot of people leave the tax run out a month..
    3, Yes it is loud, But it's not stupid loud to where it annoys everybody
    4, It's low but it's not rubbing every second low, Only rubs if there's somebody in the back, My old e36 was a bit lower and went through the nct with no issues.
    5, Stickers aren't obstructive where they are!
    6, I know there's no backbox as i thought it was fine as my last few cars went through the nct with no back boxs in them and had cats and silencers and nothing was said.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,883 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

OP the guard most likely siezed your car because the Tax was out.

If you've no tax you shouldn't be on the road. Simples.

emmetkenny wrote: »

Nope, It got took for a psv and the first thing he asked me was the diff welded, Even though if he drove it in a small circle you'd know if it was welded or not

• Registered Users Posts: 27,883 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Nope, It got took for a psv and the first thing he asked me was the diff welded, Even though if he drove it in a small circle you'd know if it was welded or not

If he took two cars out of 40/50 you two must have really stood out though.

Best advice anyone can give you is make sure everything is road legal and then you won't be singled out.

I assume you've informed your insurance company that the car is modified? If not I believe your policy is nul and void which could land you in a lot of trouble if there was ever an accident.

• Advertisement

emmetkenny wrote: »

Tax has to be out two clear months for it to be seized.

He's not qualified to make that assessment

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Originally Posted by Daaryl
    the fact it was 4 dbs over the legal limit ,
    So could anybody shed some light on the legal side of having a backbox or needing one if a cat and the silencer is still in it?

the fact it was more than twice the legal limit

the little dBs are logarithmic

rqZYcqF.gif

gctest50 wrote: »
    the fact it was more than twice the legal limit

the little dBs are logarithmic

rqZYcqF.gif

No haha, I meant to say it was at 104dbs, My bad for that

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

He's not qualified to make that assessment

1P54Svv.jpg

https://twitter.com/gardatraffic/status/552964126595874817

Q0FJxL0.jpg

CSVItoS.jpg

gctest50 wrote: »

That's actually a psv inspector, Not a gaurd that's traffic corr

• Registered Users Posts: 73,396 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

1, Plates are correct on the car and are not illegal!
    2, Alot of people leave the tax run out a month..
    3, Yes it is loud, But it's not stupid loud to where it annoys everybody
    4, It's low but it's not rubbing every second low, Only rubs if there's somebody in the back, My old e36 was a bit lower and went through the nct with no issues.
    5, Stickers aren't obstructive where they are!
    6, I know there's no backbox as i thought it was fine as my last few cars went through the nct with no back boxs in them and had cats and silencers and nothing was said.

isnt the bottom of the numbers on your square-ish rear number plate obscured by a surround?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    isnt the bottom of the numbers on your square-ish rear number plate obscured by a surround?

Yeah it is only a small little bit, You can still read the plate perfect, Nothing got said about it so far anyway so it must be fine!

The Decibel scale is a logarithmic scale.
    For every 10dB increase the level of noise is doubled.
    4dB is a significant margin

Personally, I congratulate the Garda for his/her diligence. Loud exhausts are an anti-social nuisance.

That's your own opinion, Keep it yourself, I'm sure alot of people on this site hate or don't mind them!

I'm confused by all this. Guard spots your car and think it deserves another look.
    Finds a few things wrong.
    Did the guy then get on stomach and look for something wrong?

• Advertisement

I'm confused by all this. Guard spots your car and think it deserves another look.
    Finds a few things wrong.
    Did the guy then get on stomach and look for something wrong? How did they find out there was no back box?

He was trying his best to find something wrong with the car so he could take it, He was looking under the car and saw it had no back box!

Advertisement