Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2015: Mentored Novices Thread

Options
  • 13-05-2015 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭

Welcome to the seventh annual DCM Mentored Novices thread. My name is Dubgal (yes, really, and yes, school was tough ;) ) and I will be accompanying you, this year's marathon novices, on your journey to *that* finish line. 

Along the way you are going to find yourself doing things you would never have dreamed of. You will become an expert on pain*, and lying exhausted, dripping, in pools of sweat.**
    No, no come back! You will also have lots of good stuff...we'll get to that in a bit.

*the right sort of pain
    ** yes, you're still in the A/R forum

HISTORY OF THIS THREAD
    Thanks to the super-thread intro by last year's mentor, Ososlo (and previous mentors), my work here has largely been done :D

There have been 6 legs of the DCM Mentored Novices Thread starting in 2009 when Amadeus kickstarted as the first mentor. He passed the baton in 2010 to rainbow kirby who in turn passed it into the trusty hands of Raycun in 2011. 2012 saw Younganne taking the lead with a huge group of runners behind her and passed the baton to career_move who sprinted ahead like lightening to take the novices to the 2013 DCM. CM passed on to Ososlo, whose infinite care, wisdom and kicking (not really) got us over the line in one piece last year.The baton hasn’t been dropped yet and the mentors and novices haven’t stepped out of their lanes so let’s hope we continue to surge ahead in the same vein for the 7th leg for DCM 2015!

WHO IS THIS THREAD FOR?

If you are doing Dublin City Marathon for the first time this year, then this thread is especially for you. If you are a little more experienced having already done a marathon, you are also welcome to join in the fun.

WHAT HAPPENS HERE?
    We have two possible training plans for you to follow and we are here to guide you in your training. You are also invited to keep track of your mileage from June until DCM on the Google Doc tracker sheet linked to at the bottom of this post. 

THE TEAM
    Oh, yeah...the team... (you thought I was doing this alone? :rolleyes: )
    This forum encourages discussion about all aspects of your training and we are lucky to have a plethora of experienced runners and experts on running technicalities available so don’t be afraid to ask ask ask about anything you like – let's keep it running related for now :) - there is no such thing as a stupid question. If I can't answer you, I know someone who can ;) We are here to help 

We will get you over that line safely and happily...if you listen to us ;) Most of you will and you are the ones who will cross that line on Monday October 26th knowing that you have extracted the max from yourself to the utmost of your ability.
    Some of you are going to hear things from us along the way that you don't want to hear. Sometimes you are going to do things we don't want you to do. We get it. We've been there too. 
    What we won't do is sugarcoat it, if you're doing something or planning something in your build up that we know through our collective experience is wrong, we'll call it. What we will do is call it in a way that is polite & constructive and offer you tried and tested alternatives...that actually work.

Still here?

SO...SHOULD YOU ATTEMPT TO RUN DCM THIS YEAR?
    Marathon training is HARD. You have to be insane to even think about doing it. Covering 26.2 miles continuously, at any pace is not easy. You need to be fairly healthy so it's a good idea to get a medical check up done before starting the training. You will also need to have a reasonable level of fitness before you start the 18 week plan.

To run DCM this year, ideally you'll currently be running a few days a week at this stage, be able to comfortably run 20 miles per week by the time the plan starts on June 22nd and you will have been running at least a year. However, if you're not currently at that level, but feel you can get comfortably up to running 20 miles per week by the last week in June then this thread is for you too. You might be fit from other sports and be able to get up to speed quickly enough. 
    If you want to do DCM this year but you would struggle to get up to 20 miles per week comfortably by the end of June and you're not very fit, then you should strongly consider putting it off for another year. Yes you will still be able to complete a marathon in October, but as this is a running forum we want all the novices to attempt to fully run their first marathon or at least the majority of it. 
    Look ahead at the schedule for the 18 weeks. Have you many social events which might impinge on getting your long runs done at the weekends? It might be ok to miss one, but you really don't want to be missing more than that, so can you fit them in around your busy lifestyle? If the answer is yes and you're willing to make some sacrifices to get them done then you'll be fine. 
    Running a marathon is a fantastic goal to have but you must be prepared for it. Anyone can complete a marathon but not everyone can run one from start to finish at a good (it’s all relative) pace. To run a successful marathon you should be committed to your training and take it seriously whilst enjoying it. The key to this is to follow a plan and train smart.

SOME GOLDEN RULES FOR MARATHON TRAINING
    • Follow a plan and stick to the plan. You can use one here or any other one, but follow a plan
    • Don’t miss runs (especially your weekly long run which is integral to the build up to the marathon)
    • Don’t make up for missed training as this is a recipe for injury and/or illness
    • Don’t run on an injury or ignore a constant niggle and don’t run when sick and seek professional help about your problems sooner rather than later. If there is something abnormal going on with your body during training, seek professional help
    • Prepare and practice in every way you can so that there is very little element of surprise on the day
    • Run your training runs at the correct paces (more of that later)
    • If you want to set yourself a goal time for DCM, ensure it is a realistic and fairly conservative goal. You are entering unknown territory on your first marathon. Don't be over-ambitious. You don’t want to be saying ‘never again’ on the finish line.
    • Don’t rely on McMillan calculators or other calculators for determining your marathon goal. Yes it may work for a few but not for the majority

Take your training seriously and commit to it whilst enjoying it!

Special Ososlo Tip from 2014:
    Set yourself a secondary goal for the year or plan something else to look forward to in the autumn. The reality is that not everyone who signs up to this thread is going to make the start line. A few will get sick, a few will get injured for whatever reason or life might just simply get in the way. Therefore, I advise everyone to think about a secondary goal this year if DCM does not happen for you this year, be it a marathon later in the year, a half marathon, a 10k, a holiday or a dirty weekend away to look forward to later in the year
    A LITTLE BIT ABOUT YOUR MENTOR....
    I ran DCM last year as my first marathon. I stumbled upon this thread late enough into the schedule but immediately began to reap the benefit of the collective wisdom and camaraderie on here.
    I have a background in running and decided to run the marathon in January – I needed that incentive to get me out the door on cold winter nights. It worked. Following a gradual build-up of mileage, I started a Jeff Gaudette beginners plan in June, supplemented by club sessions (I joined a club in July). I missed two of the early race series (5m and 10k) but completed the Frank Duffy 10 mile and half marathon races in August and September which allowed me to reassess my race target A and B goals.

On race day, the wheels came off around mile 15. A few things went wrong, mostly unseasonable humidity which drove me to picking discarded bottles off the road in between water stations. It wasn't pretty but I got over that line exhausted, happy and inside my C goal.
    My advice to you is forget about the time goals as much as you can and enjoy the experience. Dublin crowds are seriously amazing. Now, I am a complete running junkie and as I'm not attempting another marathon until 2016, this is the next best thing. So, I am not an expert, but I know where to find one ;)

A little more advice....

RESPECT
    Over the next few months, you are going to hear the word 'respect' a lot. Respect the marathon, respect the input and respect yourself.
    You are going to attempt to do all of these but, on at least one, you are going to fail. That's ok because even if you think you respect the marathon, add some knobs on for decoration, you will still come out the other end knowing the respect you had wasn't enough.
    That's ok too because it's a bit like childbirth, you have to go through it to *know* it :eek:

You only get out of a marathon what you have put in...and sometimes less than that.
    Anything can happen during, and in the run up to, a marathon. There will be things you can't control. Your job is to concentrate on what you can control. 
    You can control your training and you can control your health. 

Which leads me to...

COMMITMENT TO TRAINING
      It's more than just about the run, you're going to put your body through a lot so you need to be nice to it:
    • Always start your runs with baby steps, give your muscles time to warm up.
    • Always allow a cool down period, whether that's back to baby steps or walking it out.
    • Read up on stretching and start to think about what's going to work for you. We'll talk more about that later but stretching after a session is very important.
    • Get a foam roller or tennis ball or sliotar. You're going to need it :eek:

GEAR
    You will definitely need:
    Runners (more later)
    You will find these useful:
    A watch (stopwatch will do, GPS not essential)
    A t shirt that wicks away sweat
    Socks designed for running

COMMITMENT TO YOURSELF
    Get enough sleep. Your body can't repair, adapt and build without it. 
    Don't eat crap. If you do, don't eat too much of it. 
    Processed food = bad 
    Whole food = good
    In between = okish
    Drink lots of water. You are going to become very familiar with the various shades of urine. 
    We'll do the alcohol discussion later. *collective phew*
    Don't hang around in wet or damp running gear. Your granny is right, you'll catch a chill.
    Get shares in Epsom salts. You'll need them.
    Buy an understanding family and friends. This is an essential.

TRAINING AND OVERVIEW 
    We're a little late starting this year but better late than never ;)
    That's not to say that late is a good thing...as mentioned above, ideally you will be building to comfortably run 20 miles per week, including one long run of at least 6-8 miles. Here is our Pre-Marathon training plan if you need one:

Jump in on the appropriate week. Alternatively, continue with your current training as you might already be running more miles than what's required for the start of our Marathon Training Plans so no need to decrease your current mileage.

Remember: Miles make champions

The more miles you put in when you're training, the less pain
    you'll suffer on marathon day. 

BUT

Unfortunately every year there are casualties due to injury but the best way to avoid this is to have a good running base (ideally you should have been training at shorter distances for one to two years), to build up the mileage slowly and consistently and to vary your training programme so that you have 1 or 2 hard days a week and the rest all easy.

In case you missed that...

GOLDEN RULE: KEEP THE HARD DAYS HARD AND THE EASY DAYS EASY

THE PLANS FOR 2015:
    The plans we will be using are the Hal Higdon Novice 1 and for slightly more experienced runners, the 2015 Boards Plan which is based on career_move’s super plan from 2013 and some tweaking by Ososlo in 2014. You can use one of these plans or any other plan as long as it involves mostly running!

Hal Higdon Novice 1 Training Plan:
    A tried and tested plan for novice marathon runners. It’s a simple plan to follow and many Boardsies have followed this plan over the years with great success. All runs in this plan are done at the same pace, which is a pace that should feel very comfortable and you should be able to chat while running (to yourself or your running buddy!). If you can’t chat while running then you’re running too fast. Slow down. If you’re not enjoying the majority of your training runs, you’re probably running them too fast. Slow down! We'll go into pacing in more detail later.

Boards 2015 Training Plan
    This includes a little bit of speedwork and marathon pace running with the addition of warm up and cool down miles for the sessions and races. Everything else is pretty much the same as previous years. Many novices followed this plan with much success in previous years.

INVALUABLE TRAINING PACE GUIDE HERE
    Again, pinched from Ososlo 2014

So, if you’re on board for DCM this year or just thinking about it still, please jump in and answer the following so we can get an idea of where you are with your training currently and get the chatting underway:
    1. What is your athletics background? Have you run before? What other sports have you taken part in and at what level? 
    2. Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    3. Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training ? (No problem if you do)
    4. How much training do you currently do incl cross training? Distances, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    5. How many days a week do you run only?
    6. What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    7. What marathon programme are you following/intending to use?

AND THE BORING STUFF...
    Office hours are twice a day, first thing in the morning (well, first thing after coffee) and after 8pm
    If you really really need a reply outside this time it will be done...
    but try to remember,  life exists outside of boards during the run up to DCM. No, really, it does ;)

Most of all remember....
    We're on your side!

Welcome on board your Odyssey, Heroes of 2015. There will be blood, there will be sweat and there will be tears. Mostly mine ;)
     Let's do this :cool: 

Dubgal

Finally for an index of useful posts from last year click here

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Best of luck to everyone running this. I's a long journey, but very much worth it.

You are in great hands with Dubgal (though you'll probably want more than a stopwatch!)

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

Brilliant stuff, best of luck to you and any marathon novices. That has to be the most epic post in the world ……………. ever. I started reading this morning and only finished now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Some wise words in there.
    Good luck with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Perfect choice to lead this years troop. Delighted to see this :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Great choice in mentor this year;)
    Novices, you're all in very good hands here. This gal knows her stuff so make sure to listen closely! You're all in the for the ride of yer lives:D

Dubgal, enjoy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

Good luck to everyone its a long but so worthwhile journey, that's made all that wee bit easier with advice & help from people here. Enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Good luck everyone, it'll be brilliant

And if anyone has a couple of hours days months on their hands, they might like to read the previous installments...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Ooh exciting!! Good luck to everyone taking part in this for the first time, you are in excellent hands here with dubgal & team (you really will want more than a stopwatch though :-D)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

The very best of luck to everyone starting on this journey. This thread was a godsend last year for me, so much to be gained from it. You're in very good hands with dubgal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I am really pleased to see this. This thread and Dubgal herself are two of the most positive things on this forum and I am sure it is going to be great this year. Good luck to all the marathon novices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭long_b

What is your athletics background? Have you run before?What other sports have you taken part in and at what level?
    Running for one year. Nothing before that.

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    April 2015 Half 2:05 10K 56 ish

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training ? (No problem if you do)
    No, although had a stop in the Half in Limerick :(

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    2/3 lunchtime runs at work, about 7.5km each currently, including one interval session. Long slow run at the weekend

How many days a week can you train?
    As above, mostly.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    Complete - I'm the only member of my family that hasn't run one.
    Dream time 4:15. Realistic 4:30

What marathon programme are you following/intending to use?
    Undecided yet - open to advice. Which one best suits my time slots I wonder ?

Thanks in advance folks !

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Good luck to you all, I am one of Ososlo's kids (DCM 14 Novice graduate) and last year we all found this thread to be a huge huge help.

The knowledge base you have access to here is huge and right across the running spectrum from very seasoned marathon runners to the recent graduate's and you can lean something from everyone. Don't be afraid to tap into this knowledge.

A wise man learns from his mistakes, a very wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Yahoo. I have been waiting for you. A fantastic mentor.
    Post, read, run and you'll learn a lot from this. All the very best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

What is your athletics background? Have you run before? What other sports have you taken part in and at what level? I started running about 3 years ago but only to 5/10km distance up till last year when I took it up a bit more seriously and went to half marathon distance completing 4 half marathons and a 10 mile in the year (yes I caught the running bug !!) Only other spots I have taken part in is competitive swimming in my teens and early 20's which is a life time ago !! Think I am currently having a mid life crisis :)

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please
    Year Distance Race PB
    2015 2 mile Raheny winter series 00.16.49
    2015 3 mile Raheny winter series 00.25.59
    2015 5 mile Raheny 5 00.49.30
    2014 10 Km Samsung Night Run 00.56.51
    2015 10 mile Ballycotton 10 1.35.32
    2014 HM Clontarf HM 2.10.27

No
    How much training do you currently do ? Distances, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    I run 3 to 4 times a week and do pilates once a week. I do 8/10 mile at the weekends as a long run, take in my local park run to try and get my 5 km time down most weeks and then will do 8 to 10km twice during the week. Depending on how many times I get out will do between 15 and 20 miles a week.
    How many days a week can you train? 3 to 4 runs and 1 pilates class currently.
    What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time? I would like to firstly finish it, secondly run it all and really without ever having done this distance before I really haven't a clue about finish time and maybe this will come as the training progresses and I can get a better idea of times.
    What marathon programme are you following/intending to use? I haven't had a chance to review them properly yet so open to any advice but will look at them both in detail over the coming days as it looks like I am committing to doing this by completing this post ..... no turning back now :( Looking forward to following the post, Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Fairplay to you, Dubgal, for taking this on.

Best of luck to all of the "Class of 2015".

My twopence worth....determination might get you over the line on the 26th but only training properly will get you down the stairs on the 27th.....ENJOY!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I was in this thread last year too. It was a fabulous resource with people giving up their time to mod it. I learnt a huge amount about all aspects of running and it was lovely to have a group who were in the same position especially if you are running on your own. Enjoy and best of luck and the same to Dubgal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭libelula

Go on Dubgal ya good thing ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Woohoo, I've been really looking forward to this thread! What I read of previous years' looked awesome. Thanks Dubgal and co. for taking it on :)

What is your athletics background? Have you run before? What other sports have you taken part in and at what level?

I have no real sporting background. I used to play a bit of 5-a-side football with friends until kids & work made scheduling a pain. I wasn't grotesquely overweight or anything, but increasingly aware that I was becoming less active in my mid-thirties, so I started getting out and doing some running properly last spring.

I've run 5 races.
    • Fingal 10k July 2014: 55:54 (first time I'd ever run 10k)
    • Frank Duffy 10 mile August 2014: 1:30:12 (first time I'd ever run 10 miles, kind of blew up at that bloody hill near the end)
    • Dublin Half-Marathon: 1:59:19 (first time... again had trouble on that damn hill, but I was happy with finishing < 2 hours)
    • Trim AC 10 mile February 2015: 1:19:03 (first race where I knew I could actually finish it ;) )
    • MSB St Patrick's Day 5k March 2015: 23:27

Nope.

This year I've been fairly active, other than when injured or ill. So far in May I've gotten out running 8 times, covering 68 miles (long run of 16 miles there on Sunday). Earlier in the year I was doing some gym work too (weights, bike, rowing) but intend to just run between now and late October, unless I get injured.

4-5.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    • To finish the marathon.
    • To not get injured over the summer and race all the Race Series.
    • Beat last year's 10k and Half-Marathon times by 10 minutes.
    • Sub-4:00 marathon (stop sniggering and eye-rolling) is what I intend to train for. We'll see how the summer goes.

Whatever this thread tells me to :D - I think the Boards plan looks good though I'll probably keep the milage up on the long runs. I've been varying my runs a bit so I think it suits more than the Hal Higdon Novice 1 plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Perfect choice - very best of luck with this Dubgal - I know you'll do an excellent job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭NetwerkErrer

Ah brilliant! My favourite thread on boards. The advice, camraderie and banter is second to none and there's a great buzz about it. This thread is epitome of why A/R is a great community.

A great choice in Dubgal to lead the novices this year. I'm sure her energy, vibrancy and willingness to lend a friendly ear will help infinitely in getting all of you across the line in October. And don't let her modesty fool you, she's experienced the journey first hand and knows what it takes. All the best DG and I'm sure this will be a test of endurance for you too!:)

And most importantly, All the best to the novices! Put in the work now and over the next few months and you won't regret it come the last week in October.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Best of luck to ye all. Great choice of mentor. This year's novices are lucky Dubgal has taken this on, on top of her own journey back to the top, which seems to involve winning handfuls of medals every week.

Enjoy the ride, and remember the first time is not always the best, but usually the most memorable!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

Loved this thread last year. I was with Dubgal72 in following Ososlo's thread.

I didn't get to the start line due to injury but did get up to the 20 mile LSR mark. Not sure about this year yet but will be following.

My bit of advice for what it's worth.
    Do more stretches - more than you think you need. I wish I had

• Registered Users Posts: 18,131 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

What is your athletics background? Have you run before?What other sports have you taken part in and at what level?
    Played GAA at senior level, but that was in the last decade and I'm in my 30's now. Running wise, I never did any until I decided to try for the DCM last year, was following the Higdon plan but got a groin injury doing the 1/2 marathon distance and so had to miss out.

Did a 10k race last June, finished in 56.30. Thats my only race.

No.

I currently do 2/3 runs per week, generally 5k runs, but this last few weeks I try to do one 10k run every week. Did 12km on Tuesday. I do a lot of cross training though, mainly bouldering and wakeboarding.

Whatever it takes.

Its all about finishing it. A realistic time will be anything under 5 hours, I just don't have the foundation or pace to go quicker. I'll worry about time after the first one.

The Hal Higdon one, same as last year, don't see any reason to change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

As a DCM 2014 'graduate', delighted to see this thread up and running... almost makes me nostalgic:)

GREAT choice of mentor, Dubgal has been an unofficial mentor to half of Boards already and has great running wisdom, not to mention a magic wand.

Best of luck to all the novices, very exciting journey you are on!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    What is your athletics background? Have you run before? What other sports have you taken part in and at what level? I started running about 3 years ago but only to 5/10km distance up till last year when I took it up a bit more seriously and went to half marathon distance completing 4 half marathons and a 10 mile in the year (yes I caught the running bug !!) Only other spots I have taken part in is competitive swimming in my teens and early 20's which is a life time ago !! Think I am currently having a mid life crisis :)

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please
    Year Distance Race PB
    2015 2 mile Raheny winter series 00.16.49
    2015 3 mile Raheny winter series 00.25.59
    2015 5 mile Raheny 5 00.49.30
    2014 10 Km Samsung Night Run 00.56.51
    2015 10 mile Ballycotton 10 1.35.32
    2014 HM Clontarf HM 2.10.27

No
    I run 3 to 4 times a week and do pilates once a week. I do 8/10 mile at the weekends as a long run, take in my local park run to try and get my 5 km time down most weeks and then will do 8 to 10km twice during the week. Depending on how many times I get out will do between 15 and 20 miles a week.
    How many days a week can you train? 3 to 4 runs and 1 pilates class currently.
    What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time? I would like to firstly finish it, secondly run it all and really without ever having done this distance before I really haven't a clue about finish time and maybe this will come as the training progresses and I can get a better idea of times.
    What marathon programme are you following/intending to use? I haven't had a chance to review them properly yet so open to any advice but will look at them both in detail over the coming days as it looks like I am committing to doing this by completing this post ..... no turning back now :( Looking forward to following the post, Thanks.

Go, Mrs Mc.... delighted to see you finally coming out and admitting you are hooked :) looking forward to seeing your progress. But you will be missed as a race supporter!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MaggotBrain

Another "graduate" here, or more like one of the bold lads that barely scraped through!

The marathon is most gruelling and amazing thing I've ever done. Training is a long slog from now until October and many of you may wonder what on earth you were thinking but it's great to have a place like this to keep you motivated and honest. Give what you take and it'll make it all the more worth while.

Best of luck to all, you're off to a good start with DubGal!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Best of luck to Dubgal and to everyone giving it a go for the first time this year - you're in for a lot of fun over the next 5 and a bit months, enjoy every minute of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Best of luck to everyone signing up for DCM2015 - I am toying with the idea of DCM2016 or maybe 17 but will be keeping an eye on this thread for tips as I hope to plan to do the 10k, 10m and HM in the Race Series this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Wow. Thank you all for the good wishes and support! Class of 2015, if goodwill could carry you over the line you'd be halfway there :)
    Unfortunately it can't so...to business...

I'll have links to the two plans - updated for 2015 - posted on the first page later. In the meantime, have a look here if you haven't committed to a plan yet. The Hal Higdon Novice 1 is recommended for beginners and the Boards plan will suit if you have more running experience under your belt. Any questions about other plans, fire away.

I'll reply to the novice posts in a while, welcome aboard!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Very best of luck everyone, it is going to be epic! This thread got me to the finish line of DCM in one piece last year, would have been absolutely lost without it, it really is a fantastic resource.

My advice....stick to the training plan, try not to miss runs if at all possible, especially the lsr's each week and put in the work in the months leading up to it, keeping your diet as clean as possible. On the day, enjoy every last second, it is honestly one of the most amazing days ever.

And best of luck Dubgal, you are a total legend!

I will def be lurking in here for the next few months!

Advertisement